It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scottish Independance & Possible Huge Oil Discovery

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 06:43 PM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

You obviously don't live in one of the crime capitals of Europe and it is relevant when I'm explaining why I'm voting no because Scotland is an an anti-gun, terrorist/Palestine supporting, more rights for criminals, terrorists, rapists than the victims left wing nuthouse. If we went independent this place would go to the dogs and the bones would be picked clean by Brussels. Kind of actually tempted to vote yes just to make all your lives worse...

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 06:47 PM
link   
a reply to: doomguy5000

Ok, fair enough.

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 06:28 AM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

I dont understand why so many folk think that we want independence we are nationalists, we want a better system of governance than the current establishment, one which is elected by the people.
Not to have a house of lords who are granted powers over the UK with being elected by the people who pay taxes!

In any case Im hoping we do get independence and start a new Scotland one with optimism about the future, no one says we have to do anything with the EU as we are not automatically guaranteed EU membership, do we really need the EU to stand on our own ?

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 07:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: sapien82

I dont understand why so many folk think that we want independence we are nationalists

So, you take this single line of mine in a reasoned and rational post:

A 51% No vote would disappoint me as the issue will still be boiling under the surface for nationalists and in 10 or 20 years we could be having the same independence discussions all over again.

...and then interpret it as an example of folk (me) who think that those who want independence are nationalists?

The only political party in Scotland campaigning for independence is the Scottish Nationalist Party, who have the majority vote in the Scottish government, by the Scottish people.
Of course, there are many reasons why people want Scotland to be independent, but I made no claim that all people who want independence are nationalists, you invented that in your own mind.

Is there nothing that anyone can say in a Scottish independence thread without someone inventing something to argue about which has not actually been said in the first place?
If you fail to understand something in the medium of text it is always wise to read all the words again, and in the context they were actually written.
edit on 9-8-2014 by grainofsand because: Typo

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 10:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Cruithneach

Splitting up things can lead to frustation. The UK buys big amounts of refined Norwegian oil and gas, if Scotland leaves Things might get bit hairy.

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 11:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: elixz

Splitting up things can lead to frustation. The UK buys big amounts of refined Norwegian oil and gas, if Scotland leaves Things might get bit hairy.

That's what i dont get...why do we need to buy in our Gas and Oil.

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol
If you the UK does not buy Gas and Oil, how will Norway make it's Money?
Also it's will be very expensive for Scotland to explore for Oil and Gas...

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Agree with most your post but just to point out that the SNP are not the only party campaigning for independence.
edit on 9-8-2014 by ScepticScot because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 03:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot

Agree with most your post but just to point out that the SNP are not the only party campaigning for independence.

Apologies, I failed to consider the two Green members in the Scottish Parliament and Margo MacDonald, an independent MSP who are pro independence. The other 69 MSP's who want independence are SNP.
...any other legal and recognised political party who may be pro-independence which I may have missed I am unfortunately unaware of because they have no MSP's, and they probably make no difference in the wider scale of things.

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 04:13 AM
link   

I was speaking in general terms, I just took that line from your post because it was relevant to my point.
When I quoted you I was not specifically saying that you think that.

This may have come across this way but it was not intended to do so, so apologies mate!

Well things seem to be coming to a head now
looking like Scotland would go debt free into independence and would keep the pound in a currency union
according to the recent article from Salmon in the Herald on sunday
I don't subscribe so I cant link the sources he used for the Debt free and Currency union
My mate posted it last night on FB and he quotes the sources
quite an interesting read and seems as though things are looking good for the independence yes camp!

All Im saying is , your all welcome to join us for our independence party , cus its gonnae be a belter!

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 05:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: sapien82
Well things seem to be coming to a head now looking like Scotland would go debt free into independence and would keep the pound in a currency union according to the recent article from Salmon in the Herald on sunday

If this is what Salmond is saying then he really is trying to pull the wool over people's eyes.

If Scotland goes independent then they will have to inherit their share of the national debt. If the UK government has ruled out a currency union, then Salmond needs to accept that fact.

Salmond seems to be running in a fantasy. Promises that he will have not ability to keep, but if Scotland say "yes" he would have obtained his goal and exposure of his dishonesty would be irrelevant.

Regards

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 05:32 AM
link   

They are all dishonest that's why we need independence. I don't care what Salmond says or promises we can deal with our own politicians once they bear total responsibility.

I would rather have the SNP in charge in Scotland than be forever entwined with the corruption that is Westminster.

It would have been nice if the English people had been offered the same opportunity. I wonder how they would vote.

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 06:23 AM
link   

no this isn't what Salmond has said , he has taken this information from an outside source , apparently Scotland would leave the UK debt free and be able to use the sterling currency

If you read his recent article in the Herald he had taken the information from another source , that's him confirming his promises

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 10:15 AM
link   
a reply to: sapien82

Do you honestly believe that if Scotland votes for independence then the myriad of finer details etc will all be settled in Scotland's favour?
Yet that is the lie that Salmond is peddling - and which some are falling for.

The details surrounding independence will NOT all be settled in Scotland's favour and post-independent Scotland will not be the dawning of some sort of idyllic wonder nation free from the problems, injustices and inequalities that affect the rest of us.

Whatever Scotland decides there will be some difficult times ahead.

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 10:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn
a reply to: sapien82

Do you honestly believe that if Scotland votes for independence then the myriad of finer details etc will all be settled in Scotland's favour?
Yet that is the lie that Salmond is peddling - and which some are falling for.

The details surrounding independence will NOT all be settled in Scotland's favour and post-independent Scotland will not be the dawning of some sort of idyllic wonder nation free from the problems, injustices and inequalities that affect the rest of us.

Whatever Scotland decides there will be some difficult times ahead.

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 10:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn
I don't see any reason why majority I issues can't be negotiated to both sides satisfaction. The only one I see causing major headaches is the currency and that is because the UK political parties and theSNP have backed themselves into a corner that has nothing to do with economics and everything to do with political posturing.

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: ScepticScot

I don't see any reason why majority I issues can't be negotiated to both sides satisfaction.

Quite agree - but we are talking about politicians here, and politicians who will be taking a lot of advice from the legal profession, and we all know how they like to screw everyone over and protract things for their own gain regardless of the best interests of their clients.

But the point is that during negotiations Salmond et al will have to concede some points - something that he is categorically denying. Its either blatant deceit or incredible stupidity and naivety - I don't believe he's guilty of either of the latter two, so.....?

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   

For once, words fail me - you are, obviously, just taking the piss, aren't you?

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 12:16 PM
link   
He is only denying it according to the heavily pro union press. At no point has there ever been a statement from the SNP or Yes Scotland that says that everything is going to be negotiated in Scotland's favour or any claims of land if milk and honey as is often parroted. Most people who favor yes are fairly realistic about the pros and cons of going independent. This is despite the relentless negativity of the no campaign and the majority of the mainstream media.

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Well I think we will fair just fine , given that we can and will have a currency union
much like Gibraltar who use the Gibraltar pound and thats sterling and they are largely independent and have their own government

Why cant Scotland?

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join