It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Alcohol not banned???

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Auto brewery syndrome

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 06:58 PM
link   
It's a worry that people such as the OP exist, unfettered.

"I disagree with something, so I want you all to be forced to agree with me."

Why should it be illegal? Because some people ABuse it?

well, I know little kids who would hyperventilate and get dizzy. They'd run into walls and fall over.

We should therefore ban oxygen.

??

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 10:56 PM
link   
a reply to: openyourmind1262

You forgot about the two beer reviews in my tag

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 11:21 PM
link   
a reply to: adnanmuf

Tried that once upon a time, and the American public didn't respond too well to the prohibition. Did you sleep through history class, or has the common core abolished teaching bureaucratic failure?

Pretty much, by the time the temperance movement successfully lobbied for its prohibition (they were going at it for many, many years) alcohol was too ingrained in the american culture. Everyone needs a "break from reality" once and again, and the predominately European american demographic at the time preferred alcohol as its go-to "break". There are cultural, as well as financial reasons why alcohol is not prohibited. Alcohol, unlike some prohibited drugs, is very deadly and gets you out of your d*am mind.

People have to learn how to responsibely use any of the drugs they chose to consume really. Any drug that is abused and consumed in higher than recreational/medicinal doses can prove problematic or even destructive. On that note, I'll drink one for ya.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 05:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: adnanmuf
Alcohol can not be found in nature . it immediatly convert to vinegar, alcohol stays in any chemical reaction in nature for a split of a second.

Bull crap. Birds do it, bees do it, even educated fleas do it. All animals get drunk on naturally occurring alcohol that forms on rotting, fermenting fruit.

Scientific American

The breakdown of ethanol to acetic acid (vinegar) however, isn't even a natural reaction. Its a bacteriological reaction. Acetobacterium woodii feeds on the ethanol, excreting acetic acid. I know of no bacteria that can feed and excrete a waste product instantly.

Vinegar from Ethanol
Acetobacter

Furthermore, scientific studies have repeatedly shown that the imbibing of small quantities of ethanol is actually beneficial.

Benefits of Alcohol

Getting wasted by drinking to excess is not beneficial, but then, neither is drinking water to excess. Shall we ban water too, because it can be abused?

Water Abuse

A point to consider, if I remember my old chemistry lessons correctly, its the -OH functional group that determines if a compound is an alcohol. Water is H-O-H, so it has an -OH group. Doesn't that mean water is a form of alcohol? Quick, we need to ban water!!!!

Please, whilst I respect your opinions, don't try and present your opinions as fact, when the facts are actually diametrically opposite.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Fetal alcohol syndrome (FAS) or foetal alcohol syndrome is a pattern of mental and physical defects that can develop in a fetus in association with high levels of alcohol consumption during pregnancy

As of 1987, fetal alcohol exposure was the leading known cause of intellectual disability in the Western world.

Not everyone is a responsible drinker..

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 07:39 AM
link   
a reply to: subtopia

and that FAS can even occur when the mother drank moderately or even one glass during the 9 months...

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 08:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: subtopia
Fetal alcohol syndrome (FAS) or foetal alcohol syndrome is a pattern of mental and physical defects that can develop in a fetus in association with high levels of alcohol consumption during pregnancy

As of 1987, fetal alcohol exposure was the leading known cause of intellectual disability in the Western world.

Not everyone is a responsible drinker..

Not everybody is a responsible driver. hudreds of thousands of people die on the roads each year. According to wikipedia, there are 1 240 000 (one million, two hundred fourty thousand) road traffic incident related deaths yearly. Yet nobody is calling for a ban on driving.

Irresponsible and unhygenic cooks exist too. According to wikipedia, there are approximately 5290 food poisoning related deaths yearly. Nobodies calling for a ban on home cooking.

Not everybody eats responsibly. I couldn't immediately find any hard number statistics related to obesity deaths, only that they had doubled in the past 5 years, though doubled from what, is anyones guess.

The point I'm making is that people die, every day, from a multitude of causes. Some avoidable, some not. You shouldn't attempt to regulate and ban everything that might possibly cause injury or death due to irresponsible actions. Otherwise you'd need to ban life itself.
edit on 6/8/2014 by BMorris because: spelling correction

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 08:32 AM
link   
a reply to: BMorris

The Advertising usually states, 'Drink Responsively' the reality is the liquor industry relies on those who can't and don't.

By it's nature it is predatory.

Oh and don't stop drinking either as a major cause of male depression between the ages of thirty to fifty is due to a reduction in alcohol intake. They forget to mention that when they are sponsoring major sporting events.

Don't get me wrong it shouldn't be banned yet like gambling and other addictive products the industries involved including the Tax receiving Govt, could do a lot more to help those who have addictive tendencies.

edit on th1407332017606CDT-0500-05:001AM by subtopia because: .

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Actually..I did'nt.a reply to: Hijinx

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Why should it be banned? Everyone loves the drink, call it devil's piss, doesn't make it any less great.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid
I cant believe no one starred that..awsome.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 05:31 PM
link   
As the OP is not available to defend his position, thread closed.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join