It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Federal Bake Sale Ban Set to Hit Schools This Fall

page: 9
<< 6  7  8   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 01:47 AM
link   

What if they are cooking in an unsanitary environment or accidentally put in an ingredient that had expired?

I certainly put a lot of trust in a low paid school cafeteria worker. Wasn't there a incident with a food worker nicknamed
Typhoid Mary
edit on 8/6/2014 by roadgravel because: typo

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 05:17 AM
link   
We the people have all this power and choose not to use it. Numbers speak louder then words sometimes. We allow them to do this too us. What if 200 parents showed up at the school and sold baked goods for their kids? Just saying.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 05:41 AM
link   
this whole bake sale ban is likely an outgrowth of the Michelle-Michael (Obama) healthy lunch food fiasco that is bombing in the school-sphere...
the kids are not consuming the 'healthy' diet choice made for them by gov't overseers

so, the bake sale ban does away with the uncertainy of a disgruntled mother spiking a cake with Exlax instead of chocolate icing
instead favoring the mega corps with their GMO ingredients as the basis standard of approved/ certified ingredients

it will be interesting to see if many of the 'breakfast Burrito' makers...the freelance women cooks that are among the flood of illegal immigrants get busted by food inspectors...

when I lived in Phoenix, these makers of homemade Burrito's used to hawk their product at 7 AM at worksites with 50 or more males milling around before the start of labor... the home made Burros were great and had much more filling than the factory produced (cardboard tasting) Mexican food marketed by food mega corps.

and the price was a deal
edit on th31140732174206422014 by St Udio because: ```

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 09:43 AM
link   
So... you can't physically discipline a parents child but you can dictate what they put into their bodies. You can tell them what to eat, what to wear, what to learn, what to think, to or not to pray.
Somewhere lost in all this shuffle is the education process.
I'm waiting for a sit down hunger strike where school kids just refuse to eat whats served. That cretinous Obama and his ogreish wife won't care, they've basically checked out already.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Well what a sad time in history for school bake sales and fundraisers.

This is just ridiculous!

When I was in high school I was on the dance team AND in the marching band. It was not cheap and my mom had two of us in both, my twin and I were on both teams. My mom couldn't just write checks like so many kids at our school could so the team and band would have bake sales to help raise money for uniforms or trips to camp. We also did car washes and they were a lot of fun! The band and dance team do NOT get funding from the school like football does and so we had to find other ways to get it and we always managed. Now if they take this away what are people suppose to do?

I dont see how canceling bake sales does anything but harm to the kids and the school. Idiots. Whoever thought of this rule should have to put their bank account on the line now for every school that needs help and would have had a bake sale.

This country is getting more and more insane. I seriously wish I could go live in France because I'd be there in a heart beat. I guess I should start playing the lotto....

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 07:29 PM
link   
a reply to: mblahnikluver

Absolutely right... school districts are defunding music programs, including band at alarming levels and have been for years. Despite what all the studies and statistics show regarding what benefits come from music programs and the arts.

But hey! It seems the federal govt and local govts have been waging war on education (based on results) for a couple of decades now....

It is past time we take control of the govt back. Every incumbent should be voted out of office. That would be like a shot over the bow in warning that we are not happy with the status quo!

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 07:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs
a reply to: beezzer

Before Obamacare, I wouldn't have had to.

Poor people. Poor people who don't know how to stay healthy OR hold jobs - who raise fat, unhealthy kids - you've ALWAYS been paying for their poor decisions. YOU and I foot the bill for indigent ill people.

Whoa wait. Are you saying that people who are poor and on Medicaid/Medicare are unhealthy and don't know how to eat right? That's quite the generalization there......

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 08:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: OpinionatedB
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

I wasn't so fortunate as to have been raised on McDonald's foods... lol. My mother was a nutrition nazi.

I learned a LOT of what not to do from her, actually. I learned moderation is important, and teaching a child bad bad bad, when in real moderation it's at least passably okay, creates the opposite effect of what you may have intended.

All those things that my mother said were "bad"... I did, the SECOND i was out of the house and able... I went on this year long binge of every don't possible when I got my first apartment. Once I psychoanalyzed myself, I realized I was being childish... but from that I learned a LOT.

I didn't tell my kids everything was quite so evil and bad, and I allowed somethings, sometimes. I "taught" my children verses "telling" them, and I think they grew up okay. Neither is fat, (my son actually very very healthy) they both understand/understood good nutrition, and they didn't go on some weird binge the second they were out of sight!

I know because of how I raised them that they will be okay in life, and there was no extreme they felt they needed to go to because they felt I deprived them of anything...

except television, I did deprive them of that... I'm a TV nazi... lol

This!

I didn't have the same experience as you but I do agree completely. I was raised on home cooked meals but did go out to fast food once in a while as a treat. Like you said, moderation. If anything, moderation is something that should be taught by parents, that's what I teach mine.

At my house, I'd say about 90% of the meals I make are from scratch. Oh, and we're quite poor but I still manage to make it work on a small budget for a family of 4 to 6. I'm also on a vegan diet, so imagine that.

Everything I have learned didn't come from any of my schools or my parents.....I taught myself.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 09:15 PM
link   
a reply to: incoserv

Our little rural schools are a step ahead. One them will be holding a big bake sale this weekend. Country folks have our ways of getting around things.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 09:16 PM
link   
What's next you ask? Food trucks. Michelle will go after the food trucks!

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 09:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fylgje
We will still have bake sales. If they want to arrest us then we will be at the bake sale. This is absolutely insane. Who the hell is running things?

I wonder if Michelle will go after churches too? Ours has a big bake/craft sale every season. The church ladies also host a cake walk. It's a big deal here, and they draw in a lot of non members. They also offered to host bake sales in their basement for the local school

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 09:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Tatanka

The govt can have my cake, when they pry it from my cold, dead hands....

Ok..is Michelle trying to start a thing here? "Let them not eat cake!"

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 12:35 AM
link   
You can blame the govt all you want. What about the parents that have requested this? Those meddling, holier than thou soccer moms that have decided they know what's best for all children that are running these booster programs and fund raising boards are the ones truly to blame. Those same mom's that don't know their children's favorite color but don't want them eating cupcakes out of some blind fear of malnutrition. That is where these so called regulations came from, parents that don't know what the hell they are doing.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 07:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Diabolical
To play devils advocate, we really don't know what the baker is putting in there. And with the way the crazies are running rampant in the world today, I wouldn't put it past a suburb family trying to take revenge on their community nowadays.
You never know what those cupcakes are laced with.

You know its sad to think of that, but it is so true.

groups.google.com...#!topic/alt.true-crime/CntH9oVipBg
this was big news here, a neighborhood event

I can see their point and I agree, I wouldn't want to have my child buy and eat and I too don't buy into it also. But to restrict Girl Scout Cookies or other commercial packages, well, that's carrying it a bit too far.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Our government appears to be in need of a mother very badly to keep them focused. They were not supposed to be debating cupcakes, silly people, they were supposed to be debating immigration, the worst debt in our nations history, foreign policy failures, failures in dealing with our Vets and how to continue to pay for troops to defend our nation.

Cupcakes were important, why??????

If they want to curb obesity, perhaps they should limit their own calories first.
edit on AugThu, 07 Aug 2014 08:30:23 -050023.tham232314p by mrsdudara because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 6  7  8   >>

join