It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Federal Bake Sale Ban Set to Hit Schools This Fall

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 02:51 PM
link   
My mind hurts from trying to understand the reasoning behind this.

It just doesn't make any sense anyway you look at it, unless maybe government is trying to undermine public school fundraising in an attempt to set them so far back they're forced to ask for more government assistance, which will be gladly approved at the cost of various rules & regulations to be enforced for receiving said funding.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 03:06 PM
link   
We will still have bake sales. If they want to arrest us then we will be at the bake sale. This is absolutely insane. Who the hell is running things?

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I think the references to healthy/unhealthy foods or ingredient labels and such are a red herring. I think the real thing going on here is that they want to eliminate any source of income that doesn't come from the Federal coffers. That way they increase their direct control over the local systems.

"If you don't do it the way we want you to, you get no more money!"

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Is anyone really surprised??? Why allow competition when you can make up BS laws to keep them down. You know...bakers, arts & crafters, contractors, rain? Why allow people to provide services or products in exchange for money that you can't tax? Why allow a dollar to pass hands if you can't take a quarter of it? Why allow the rain to fall and be caught by a thirsty human being when you can force them to buy bottled water to make your corporate masters richer?

I hate this government and their obvious, in-your-face, rip-you-off rules and/or their blatant lies directed at our faces. Dump them all and start from scratch with very, very restrictive "terms of service" in government and as little power as possible.

Then...and only then...after tearing down the government...ummmm...am I really saying this...WE CAN HAVE A FREAKIN BAKE SALE??? Not the America where I grew up.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Future new anthem of the USA? (No offence to patriots. just my view on how things are going)

Oh grays! can you see by the dawns early light(nuke)
What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming;
Whose broad stripes and gray stars, through the propaganda fight,
O'er the ramparts we watched were as the country was steaming?
And the rocket's red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
Gave proof through the night that our flag was now this:

Oh, say! does that star-spangled banner yet wave
O'er the land of the drones and the home of the slaves?

Seriously though.. I wonder who really profits from this..

Basically, all food items sold on school grounds must meet a wide array of nutritional standards including limits on calorie, sodium, sugar, and fat content. Fun foods that people like to purchase at bake sales like cookies, cakes, doughnuts, and candy bars will not meet requirements, leaving school clubs to rely on less-popular choices like fruit cups and rice cakes when raising funds. The regulations also limit the sale of foods that do not feature labels identifying nutritional content, which will effectively ban homemade items. This is causing some school districts to favor processed foods instead. According to The Wall Street Journal, president-elect Keli Gill of the Alabama Parent Teacher Association said, “We use prepackaged food because it has to have nutritional requirements posted. Items like apples are perishable and don’t last as long, so we don’t want to waste money and have it go bad on us.”

Prepacked foods huh? I wonder if any of these companies had anything to do with it?

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Welcome to America! This is how it works. You are free to do what you want and live how you want. You should probably get an education and a job as you will need money. You should probably not smoke or eat unhealthy food. With the job and the education...we will help you out. We will help educate you and provide you the tools needed to get a job and support yourself. But the bottom line is...you can do what you want and not do what you don't.

However, if you make bad choices despite all the information available to you and our advice...those decisions and therefore their repercussions are yours...and yours alone. You will not be paid by others for doing no work, you will not be fed by others when you do no work, you will not be supported by others in any way because you were too stupid to use your freedom well. You are free to decide your way of life...and everyone else is free to NOT support your choices. That goes both ways.

Sorry, but that is how freedom works. If you want to be forced to work and have little to no freedom...but be guaranteed to have food and shelter...you can leave now. There are many countries where you can survive, but you won't be free. If you wish to be free, you take the chance of not surviving in comfort. You can't have it both ways.

So make your choice wisely. Go the safe route and move to Russia (example), or take a chance and work hard here in America. Play it safe or shoot for the stars, and maybe fail. Welcome to America...and welcome to life.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 04:15 PM
link   
a reply to: incoserv

Thanks for the OP. Everybody, thank you for posting. Up till
1540 CDT I've read everyone's too... and y'all deserve at least
a star just for effort and visibly good intent.

I find after reading this you (rhetorically and emphatically)
are maybe a lot more than what you eat: but allow yourself
to absorb. Here we go with personal choices on food insertion
again, in ourselves and our own... versus the gov nutritionists.

It is this kind of digital flamethrower war that makes me
proud to be a 'Murican... and even more an ATS member.
As Shep Smith has on rare occasion said, "Emotions can run HIGH"

Fallout: my lady friend will be convinced later this evening to
forgo with me visiting any pubic eatery until the latest
government induced pandemic (or not) has spent itself to its
intended extent.
Shouldn't take long from all the common sense exercised in any
visible area... at least to my allegedly ruptured sensibilities.

sarc on/
But I have however recently picked up a taste for wild, untamed
and most of all OUTLAWED epoxy dripping, deadly pecan rolls from
an unknown manufacturer of weapons of selective goo. TREASON!
I wonder if that sinamon has retained any radiation...?/sarc

Back strictly to the thread:
Not taking a side here, I have no puppies in this fight at
all. But I do know from varied personal experiences-- that
few things an individual can do are more self-destructive than
attempting to save another individual from him/herself.

That is of course; unless the savior is the government/hive/
village/collective, and a lot of revenue and control is involved.
I would prefer to suicide on my own terms-- it appears now the
only real choice left on this chunk of noticeably evil dirt.

Flame away, I'm going to go for some real live government
sanctified artificial meat and undead bread now. And if
THEY don't like it they can blow down my door and knock me.
Enjoy the political panorama. Oh yeah and some opaque,
chemical inorganic lube that was once mayonnaise.
Gotta get that crap slid down somehow.... but it's legal.

edit on 5-8-2014 by derfreebie because: All in: because we're all involved, again.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 04:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
a reply to: beezzer
...While i like bake sales....this is pretty low on the priority list.

Yeah, that's exactly the point. Regulating school bake sales is real low on the priority list.

So, why are they even bothering? The point I made earlier was that there some discernable political agend behind abolishing the second amendment, limiting freedom of speech, doing away with check and balances.

This is just, as I said in my OP, bat$@^# crazy.

And that means, to you, "Oh, just be quiet, bend over and take it like a ... man?"

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 05:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Destinyone

What the heck was it that prompted this dumb a$$ legislation? And what legislator thought this was a good idea?

I would like to punish the bat shist crazy legislator who presented this for consideration in the first place by electing him OUT of office.

We seriously have got to get our federal govt under control. They are trying to dictate every facet of our lives. If we are not careful they will soon be telling when we can eat supper and what nights of the week are ok for sex.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 05:13 PM
link   
a reply to: OpinionatedB

The liberal thought process is that we are all too stupid to make our own decisions. We do not have the right to live our lives the way we wish. They will make 32 oz drinks illegal, as if buying 2 16oz drinks is not an option for those who want 32oz.

This is BAT SHIST crazy interference in our lives by govt.

You want to improve peoples eating habits? Try teaching, informing instead of legislating. The federal govt has been screwing around with "improving poor black's lives" for years. You see how well that has turned out. They are still poor, they are more ignorant than ever and they are a slave to govt subsidies. Oh, and their diets are not healthy, did I mention that?

As the govt continues to intrude into our lives in ridiculously stupid ways there will be one of two outcomes: 1) We will heed Thomas Jefferson who maintained that the tree of liberty needed watering by the blood of tyrants and patriots alike. 2) We will become Orwell's 1984...

It's our choice. This is a critical time in the history of our country.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 05:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: incoserv

Yeah, that's exactly the point. Regulating school bake sales is real low on the priority list.

Does this answer your doubts?

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 06:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: bbracken677
a reply to: OpinionatedB

You want to improve peoples eating habits? Try teaching, informing instead of legislating.

Come on now. They know that eating a diet of nothing but twinkies, ho hos, soft drinks and McDonald's isn't healthy. The problem is, it tastes soooo good, so they don't care. How many times has Michelle Obama gone out there and publicly tried to teach people a healthier way to eat? It's not like they say, "Oh wow, I never knew that twinkies were bad for me! I'll stop eating them now, thanks for informing me!" No- People still eat crap. People ARE stupid, especially when it comes to their pleasure centers.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 08:28 PM
link   
a reply to: incoserv

Fine, they don't want schools doing bake sales? MAYBE THEY SHOULD TRY ADEQUATELY FUNDING THE SCHOOLS!!!

When it comes time to blow up some brown people sitting on oil reserves, the question of money NEVER comes up. When it comes time educate our children, the schools have to fight for every last nickel.

Sick.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 08:30 PM
link   
You gotta love the good ole U.S.S.A, comrades!

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 08:41 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

In that case...they have made their choice. Do we not have the right of choice? Should we not have the right of choice as long as we are not harming another or his property, or threatening harm to another or his property?

In the case of children, charge the parents with neglect if they are obese and there is no obesity causing condition. I think after a few examples are made most people will heed them. Then there are the morons who will be morons no matter what you legislate. I mean, bad parents.

There are already laws that cover neglect. No need for new ones.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Here's the thing about government officials: they need to make laws to justify their existence.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Well, if that just doesn't take the cake. I haven't had time to read all the comments so sorry if I repeat on this point....No bakes sales and maybe no more Girl Scout cookies and the like...then by all means, why don't the bassackwards Govt. lackeys ban Halloween...what with all the unhealthy candy and treats passed around and for those crabbing about the safety of bake sale goods...what about the Halloween crap? Haven't there been incidents relevant to Halloween junk? Ban one, ban all. Banning Halloween would make the religious nuts happy too beings it is based on pagan beliefs and or Satanic...(not sure which exactly). While they're at it...no more church bake sales...Ban Christmas too as they say that is Pagan dealy too.

Ban toilet paper in schools as we kill too many trees to make paper...ever see all the paper work that goes into govt. pamphlets and directives and such....Hey, we could use THAT paper for toilet needs...2 birds with one stone. Ban ALL golf trips relevant to govt. employees.

They want bake sales done away with....how about doing away with ALL lobster/steak fund raising dinners for the big shots on the hill...no more campaign fund raising and such. Oh wait, that's different....just pick on the kids and schools but the big shot idiots are exempt....I get it. Talk about double standards.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 11:15 PM
link   
a reply to: CINY8

I'm so happy that you posted this because the schools my children went to also didn't allow homemade goods. I actually did question the school as to why they would do it and was given 2 reasons. Reason #1 no one but the person bringing in the foods knows the conditions of the food that is being made. What if they are cooking in an unsanitary environment or accidentally put in an ingredient that had expired? Reason #2 If you took your kids out trick or treating on Halloween and someone you didn't know gave them a homemade cookie or candy would you allow your child to eat it? Although I had started off offended with the school, reason #2 forced me to agree with the decision of the school.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 01:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Diabolical

So...ban all take out AND dine in restaurants? umm

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 01:42 AM
link   
I can't help but think this is an offshoot of Michelle's school food program. It won't make any real difference to kid's eating habits, I bet.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join