It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Federal Bake Sale Ban Set to Hit Schools This Fall

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 11:53 AM
link   
a reply to: thesaneone

And you are being reasonable?

If I give you my credentials then you will just jump all over them as "bull#". How about if I tell you that in my career I have been a speaker at a national conference by the Prevent Child Abuse America association? That was in 2006. Before that, I ran a youth group for inner city kids.
Before THAT I was a clinical therapist, and before THAT, I was a para-educator in alternative schools for Severely Behaviorally/Emotionally Disturbed kids -

And before THAT, I had two kids which I raised based on best-practice standards.
I have an advanced education from a very reputable university (state) in Children & Families, psychology, family systems, and social welfare.

You happy?
NOW may I talk without you telling me to

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 11:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs
I have no qualms about it being on my public record.

Someday you will because you'll see the underlying message it sends.

My children will raise their own kids...

Let that really sink in...

I don't know what happened to you, or why you are so hateful, or why you are blaming me - so, again. "Ignore".
Thanks for your thoughts.

I'm sure it's comforting for you to believe I'm being hateful instead of intensely passionately loving.

You are certainly free to ignore perspectives you don't like... but that doesn't mean what they have to offer has disappeared.
edit on 5-8-2014 by GetOutOfMyLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 11:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: incoserv

originally posted by: Diabolical
a reply to: pheonix358

They just had a case here where a child laced her grandmas cooking before she took it to church. ... Or, the case in Florida where someone laced their meat with '___'. It happens. ...

Honestly, how many times do you think you've eaten at a fast food restaurant and somebody spit on your burger?

More times than you care to imagine.

You know, I really heard the sound of bleating as I read that post.

I rarely eat out. Once in a blue moon.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 11:54 AM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

the PTA decided instead to announce that in lieu of selling crap, they would just ask for tax-deductible donations to the school. They made a killing.

The other way they made a lot of money was to solicit vendors to donate products and services that were bid on during a silent auction. They had some really great stuff, including hotel rooms, restaurant dinners, spa visits, pedicures -- all stuff that people really like.
I think this is a much better alternative.

I would buy the cakes/cookies during the fundraisers, but I always threw them out, because I just don't trust homemade goods from strangers. Call me weird, but I'd rather just donate cash to the school.

I thought I was weird for doing this too. I worked with a good friend in food service for years. We baked/bought goods at every school bake sale. We're in a small town over the years we worked with many local moms. We were horrified by their ignorance concerning the safe handling of food. It quickly became apparent they weren't the exception but the rule. We have both left food service.

We doubted the safety of goods sold at bake sales. We only bought each others baked goods. If someone beat us to it we still bought stuff, just threw it away.

There was a recent report concerning the safety of school lunches. Cafeteria/restaurant workers used to operate like nurses. Now you have to be a kitchen nazi just to get people to wash their damn hands.

At least restaurants have inspections for what they're worth. Seen more than a few in my day and they're joke, depending on the inspector. No inspections with bake sales.

Moms feel pressure from children to bake because school staff is pressuring kids to do fund raising. Our schools are more about fund raising than education. Really good rewards/incentives are given to children raising the most funds while those making the honor roll not so much, they get a certificate.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 11:57 AM
link   

And you are being reasonable?

If I give you my credentials then you will just jump all over them as "bull#". How about if I tell you that in my career I have been a speaker at a national conference by the Prevent Child Abuse America association? That was in 2006. Before that, I ran a youth group for inner city kids.
Before THAT I was a clinical therapist, and before THAT, I was a para-educator in alternative schools for Severely Behaviorally/Emotionally Disturbed kids -

And before THAT, I had two kids which I raised based on best-practice standards.
I have an advanced education from a very reputable university (state) in Children & Families, psychology, family systems, and social welfare.

You happy?
NOW may I talk without you telling me to

That's all good and dandy but it still doesn't answer my question I will ask again.

What business is it of your to stick your nose into someone's personal business?

It's a very simple question.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 12:03 PM
link   

That's all good and dandy but it still doesn't answer my question I will ask again.

What business is it of your to stick your nose into someone's personal business?

It's a very simple question.

I was my business to care for neglected/abused/disturbed kids - and to know HOW it happened, and what to do to Prevent it - as well as how best to HELP those kids.

You don't have to respect or to like that - but I studied hard, and practiced, and learned. I've also helped dozens of families learn about parenting skills, and I've treated the kids whose parents failed to "parent" them to be healthy.

I am now a retired professional. No insults of yours can take away my knowledge, experience, education or background.
See? I KNEW you would try to trash my answer.

Okay, I'm done taking this ad hominem thrashing. You all carry on without me now with your assaults -
I'm going to go beat my head against the stone wall outside my house.

And don't ask me again to "prove" myself to you.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 12:06 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

I find it amusing that you say how you taught your children all these things, and you are positive they will teach theirs exactly the same way...

YET... you have no understanding of what it means to educate someone less knowledgeable than you. Education has not one thing to do with Hitler-style tactics... it really doesn't.

It has everything to do with real education. Instead of deciding to take away every packed lunch because of the one or two uneducated parents, why not rather to educate the parents, and find creative and imaginative ways to pull communities together for the purposes of educating those less fortunate.

Just because I know all about good nutrition, doesn't give me the right to demand others purchase and eat what I decide is right... but, it does give me the responsibility to teach others around me.

Inexpensive, easy, yet really healthy and filling recipes -like-minded parents can get together and create a cookbook that can be sent home with children... mom's would love both doing it and having it. Inexpensive is the key here however, if you want the less fortunate to utilize the advices.

Sending home pamphlets that explain the benefits of quality nutrition with the kids is another good thing... host a child/parent cooking class for free in your district making sure to especially invite those who may need the help.

There are so many ways to educate those people who need it, without ever letting on that you are helping them it's not even funny.

And in the end, rather than forcing someone at gun point to do things your way, you have created a new generation of knowledgeable and educated persons who will pass this same knowledge on to their own children. Not every parent is a great and perfect parent, some need advice and will take it, and some never will... but even so, perhaps the very real education you gave will effect the child, and in turn their children and their children's children.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, teach a man to fish and he eats for a lifetime.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 12:10 PM
link   
There is nothing wrong with volunteering/working to help other people learn and grow. This is in fact the foundation of community.

There is something very devastating with using the state to do so. This is in fact the destruction of community.

The first is taken for granted in communities that hold personal responsibility as a priority.

You built a career out of fighting the results of the second while still supporting the use of the second. Which is exactly what the state wants you doing. Cleaning up their mess and feeling like you are helping when in fact you are assisting in the expansion of their power... a power which will eventually turn on you.

What are you going to do if one of your kids doesn't raise your grandchildren in a way you agree with and they refuse to follow or obey your beliefs? What are you going to feel if the state steps in and "re-assigns" them to more "appropriate" guardians?
edit on 5-8-2014 by GetOutOfMyLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 12:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: OpinionatedB
a reply to: ~Lucidity

perhaps if you realized exactly what these mean to the children of our nation, you would understand more.

I am serious. When my kids were in school I was one of those bake sale mom's, and on the school board. There was NEVER enough money for things. We didn't have even one computer for the kid's to learn on - even in 1999. THAT was the year we afforded computers for the kids.

My daughter was 9 years old before we got computers in that school. Do you know what paid for those? Bake sales! These fundraising events go toward making sure kid's have all the things they need, that cannot be afforded any other way.

My daughter's 5th grade teacher spend half his pay buying classroom supplies - and he didn't make much. Anything the teachers couldn't afford, they came to us... and we had bake sales and made sure the teachers had the items they felt was important for learning.

Much money for education doesn't come from taxes or the government. Much of it comes from us!

So yeah, I'm pissed about this... and it isn't effecting my kid's anymore, but it will effect yours, and my grandchildren and our neighbors children ect.

The areas with great educations, often supply those educational supplies more imaginatively. Through these sales - and much hard work!

What the HELL makes you think I don't realize what this WOULD mean WERE it as big a deal as some wingnuts are making it out to be?

I don't think some of YOU people realize what a big deal it is to the children of this country that all this misleading and overreactionary kaka sways their parents into frothing in FaceBook about bake sales while the country and the world REALLY crumbles.

I'm done with threads like this. At least until my disgust subsides.

And don't dare assume about me in your frothy bubble, okay? I AM a child of this country and I have children too.
edit on 8/5/2014 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I'm on my way out the door, so didn't have time to read this entire thread, so if this info has already been posted, excuse the duplication.

I think this may be behind some of these issues being pushed on us in the last two years of this president's administration.

First Crony Michelle Obama

As I’ve reported previously, Mrs. Obama has profited handsomely from the very same processed-food industry she now demonizes. In June 2005, a few months after her husband was elected to the U.S. Senate, Mrs. Obama was named to the corporate board of directors of TreeHouse Foods, Inc. Despite zero experience, the food-processing company put her on its audit and nominating and corporate-governance committees. For her on-the-job training, and the privilege of putting her name and face on their literature, the company forked over $45,000 in 2005 and $51,200 in 2006 to Mrs. Obama — as well as 7,500 TreeHouse stock options, worth more than $72,000 for each year. TreeHouse, a leading supplier to Walmart, sells cheese sauces, Cremora non-dairy creamer, instant soup, puddings, and powdered soft-drink mixes; it also sells pickles to McDonald’s. Eat as she says, not as she deals. Mrs. Obama has moved on from TreeHouse to much fatter “partnerships.” The alliances between big business and big government, marketed as a public service “for the children,” have been a bonanza for the First Crony. They scratch her back, her clout and popularity increase, and she’ll have a cornucopia of board-of-director slots to choose from after her hubby’s term is up. Make no mistake: Michelle’s fruits and vegetables are served on a heaping platter of progressive hypocrisy.

Just two more years left to get everything they can get! Don't be fooled for one minute that the First Family is all about helping families live better lives. I think it's about helping THEIR family and THEIR future pocketbook. It's always about the $$$. Follow the $$$.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Again your avoiding a simple question not once did I put down your experience or your commitment to help others.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 12:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
So you're okay with your approved indoctrination, just indoctrination that you don't approve of?

No. But ALLOWING an option to make food healthier for kids is IN NO WAY indoctrination.

My point is... oh, never mind. LOL

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 12:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

originally posted by: beezzer
So you're okay with your approved indoctrination, just indoctrination that you don't approve of?

No. But ALLOWING an option to make food healthier for kids is IN NO WAY indoctrination.

My point is... oh, never mind. LOL

Nice. Glad to see that parents aren't responsible anymore

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 12:31 PM
link   
a reply to: OpinionatedB

This is something I can get down with.

Problem is: for 30 some odd years modern parents were raised being taught the food pyramid. We don't know how to feed ourselves, let alone a growing child. So....McDonalds it is!!! Afterall, I grew up on McD's and I turned out alright(?).

As a society we like to make rules that stops people from doing things we don't like to do. That is just the way it is. So people who abstain from sugar/carb rich foods have no problem telling you that you cannot have any. You don't often see someone proselytizing on the evils of alcohol while holding a half empty bottle of Capt Morgan, right?

The definition of a nanny state is one where you are told what you can and cannot do "for your own good". That isn't how i raise my kids. "Because I said so" and "for your own good" are just not phrases they are used to hearing.

We do a poor job of educating our children. We absolutely do. And that is the main thing I want to get the Feds out of our school because of.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 12:33 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer
Beezzer , was any of this passed by congress?
Obama is overstepping his office here again in a big way and can this be challenged ?
This needs to go to the supreme court.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

Geez pages of idiocy. Thank you.

Michelle Obama isn’t banning bake sales, birthday cake

Put Down the Cupcake: New Ban Hits School Bake Sales” a Wall Street Journal headline warned. The Daily Caller blamed the first lady: “Michelle Obama’s Meddling In School Lunches Now Causes BAKE SALE BANS.” But no, the government isn’t waging a war on brownies. School bake sales haven’t been banned as some recent headlines have suggested. Nor does little Johnny have to bring carrot sticks instead of cupcakes to share with classmates on his birthday. New rules requiring healthier foods in public schools took effect July 1 as a result of the Healthy Hunger-Free Kids Act passed in 2010. They set nutrition standards for all food and drink sold during the school day, including “competitive foods” — government language for vending machine snacks and bake-sale goodies. The standards, which dictate how much fat and sugar food sold on school grounds can contain, do extend to snacks sold as fundraisers. That raised the hackles of some state school superintendents, including John Barge of Georgia, who called the rules an “absolute overreach of the federal government.”

I swear some people need to be sedated.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 12:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: bluemooone2

a reply to: beezzer
Beezzer , was any of this passed by congress?
Obama is overstepping his office here again in a big way and can this be challenged ?
This needs to go to the supreme court.

As someone said previously, it is a "regulation".

Like the EPA or any other government agency, it can basically make it's own rules and fines for people to obey.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 01:09 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

I wasn't so fortunate as to have been raised on McDonald's foods... lol. My mother was a nutrition nazi.

I learned a LOT of what not to do from her, actually. I learned moderation is important, and teaching a child bad bad bad, when in real moderation it's at least passably okay, creates the opposite effect of what you may have intended.

All those things that my mother said were "bad"... I did, the SECOND i was out of the house and able... I went on this year long binge of every don't possible when I got my first apartment. Once I psychoanalyzed myself, I realized I was being childish... but from that I learned a LOT.

I didn't tell my kids everything was quite so evil and bad, and I allowed somethings, sometimes. I "taught" my children verses "telling" them, and I think they grew up okay. Neither is fat, (my son actually very very healthy) they both understand/understood good nutrition, and they didn't go on some weird binge the second they were out of sight!

I know because of how I raised them that they will be okay in life, and there was no extreme they felt they needed to go to because they felt I deprived them of anything...

except television, I did deprive them of that... I'm a TV nazi... lol

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 01:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: incoserv

originally posted by: Destinyone
a reply to: incoserv

My State, Ga. is fighting this stupid bat crap craziness of government sticking it's nose where it doesn't belong. The teachers and schools are saying it will devastate their budgets for things like field trips, uniforms for school teams, funds for extra needed items for classrooms.

Wouldn't it be wild if this were the modern day version of the Boston Tea Party?

You mean a bunch of pissed off smugglers (criminals) sneaking into a private company's merchandise stock and destroying it? That happens all the time. But I wonder, what would whatever idea you have for a modern Boston Tea Party apply to the situation in this article? Do you suggest a bunch of moms sneak into the Tastykake or Sara Lee shipping buildings and throw all their boxes of stuff in the river or something?
edit on 5-8-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 01:27 PM
link   
a reply to: ~Lucidity
One small step for the state... one giant leap for the state.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join