It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Federal Bake Sale Ban Set to Hit Schools This Fall

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 10:21 AM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

So you're okay with your approved indoctrination, just indoctrination that you don't approve of?

(although I know you were asking BH)
How is teaching kids to eat healthy foods in common-sense portions INDOCTRINATION?

Again - would you answer what you feed your kids for meals?

School lunches were historically disgusting, LOADED with fats and processed crap, and were WAY too much for kids to eat.
They changed that to a healthier menu of healthier ingredients.
That's INDOCTRINATION?

So, please tell us what your meals are like for your home-schooled kids.

edit on 8/5/2014 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 10:22 AM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

www.cnn.com...

www.carolinajournal.com...

blackgirlsguidetoweightloss.com...

My "poem" was my only satire, since you can't tell. Above are just a few articles you requested proof of.

I am concerned because this regulation along with all the other creeping regulations are like the

frog in the pan

he doesn't jump out of the boiling water because he got used to the heat.

The "cupcakes" are part of the lukewarm water of creeping fascism on the part of the political elite class.

I'm advocating we scream and jump out of the pan while it isn't hot enough to boil away all our freedoms and kill the USA as a nation of free people.

Sorry, got to run, grandma duties call.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 10:25 AM
link   
a reply to: grandmakdw

Sorry, got to run, grandma duties call.

Oh, okay then.

Are you going to whip up some cupcakes and make ice-cream floats in Coke for lunch, then? Or drive them over to McDonald's?
(satire)

While you're out, I'll look at your sources. Thanks!

Here's the first one:

Lunch trays were taken away from students who didn't have money in accounts
The students were given fruit and milk instead, the school district says
"Blindsided" mother: "Don't do that to a child"
Officials apologize and say they should have handled the situation differently

That had to do with their lunch accounts not being paid up.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 10:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs

So, please tell us what your meals are like for your home-schooled kids.

The meals are well prepared, tasty (my wife is an excellent cook).

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Here's the blip from the second source:

While the mother and grandmother thought the potato chips and lack of vegetable were what disqualified the lunch, a spokeswoman for the Division of Child Development said that should not have been a problem.

“With a turkey sandwich, that covers your protein, your grain, and if it had cheese on it, that’s the dairy,” said Jani Kozlowski, the fiscal and statutory policy manager for the division. “It sounds like the lunch itself would’ve met all of the standard.” The lunch has to include a fruit or vegetable, but not both, she said.

There are no clear restrictions about what additional items — like potato chips — can be included in preschoolers’ lunch boxes.

“If a parent sends their child with a Coke and a Twinkie, the child care provider is going to need to provide a balanced lunch for the child,” Kozlowski said.

and

“It sounds like maybe a technical assistance need for that school.”

The girl is a picky eater (only white bread and hates veggies). The DHHS lady said the lunch would have been fine. This seems to be the mother getting in a huff - the little girl was given a cafeteria tray and refused ALL of it except the chicken nuggets. Later, the article says the school AND the DHHS refused to provide a name for who had allegedly done this. The fuss was also over whether she had to "pay" for the school lunch that got thrown away.

Another non-case.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 10:40 AM
link   

The really weird thing is, I suspect most of the people on this thread actually feed their kids pretty healthy food. They just don't like being "told" to feed their kids healthy food. Reminds me so much of my 12-year-old -- little miss stubborn. Doesn't like to be "told" to do anything - even if she knows it's the right thing to do.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 10:45 AM
link   

And here is the third:

First, I’d be inclined to support this decision if I knew the school system was using the money to improve the quality of the children’s lunches to something that’d be far better than what they’d be able to receive from home.

And honesty, who wouldn't? But then she goes on to state her case is about "money" being extorted, NOT about nutrition.

Secondly, let’s get a few things clear. Whenever a child takes a lunch from the school, the government reimburses that school a portion of the cost. The problem with this set up is the fact that very little of that money from the government winds up being reinvested in the school lunch system, because so many school systems are underwater as is.
That being said, this is why I bolded the following:
Any school that bans homemade lunches also puts more money in the pockets of the district’s food provider, Chartwells-Thompson. The federal government pays the district for each free or reduced-price lunch taken, and the caterer receives a set fee from the district per lunch.
If more students are taking the school’s lunch, that’s more money being poured into the school… and more money going to this particular food manufacturer. It’d be interesting to know whether or not the provider has any ties to anyone in the school district.

Excerpted from Chicago School Bans Lunches Brought From Home? - A Black Girl's Guide To Weight Loss

She ALSO is in favor of the idea that when people are sending their kids "sack lunches" that consist of flaming chips and a Coke ONLY - that it is good for the schools to offer better choices (better for HEALTH). Her beef is again, about money - she and the Carolina lady story were BOTH about the school supposedly "jacking" the lunches to force kids to BUY food, in order to line their pockets. Her objection was NOT to the truth that some parents pack crap for "meals".

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Well, that's very good news.

So - do you think it's better for a kid to come with a Twinkie, a Coke, some chips, and a Fruit-roll-up if that's what they "like", rather than a healthier school meal?

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 10:48 AM
link   
What a crock!

I see there are people in this thread claiming this is liberalism run amok, etc.

This is fascist capitalism at work. The Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act was put in place to funnel money from the taxpayers to the pockets of the people that own the food companies.

So dont blame liberals or progressives.

You wanted capitalism.....well you got it baby.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Well, that's very good news.

So - do you think it's better for a kid to come with a Twinkie, a Coke, some chips, and a Fruit-roll-up if that's what they "like", rather than a healthier school meal?

Not my decision, nor should it be under the jurisdiction of the school.

The parent should be responsible for the food the child eats.

But then again, I'm not intrusive or nosy or concern myself with what other parents feed their children.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 10:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: sheepslayer247
I see there are people in this thread claiming this is liberalism run amok, etc.

This is fascist capitalism at work.

One is the left hand, the other is the right.

And you know it. You know you are being deceptive. You know exactly who you are following. You know exactly where it's going to take you. You know you care about nothing anymore except to drag as many down with you as you can because it's the only solace available in your agony.

You wanted capitalism.....well you got it baby.

People want to be able to choose how to allocate their limited resources in ways that make their community stronger and happier. Like choosing to have a bake sale or not.

This is the complete opposite of that and you know it.
edit on 5-8-2014 by GetOutOfMyLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Mmmm. And I bet you ALSO don't want to foot the bill for the Diabetes, obesity, etc. caused by their poor diets. Right?

I ran a child-care service while my kids were pre-schoolage. I was a registered family day care provider. We DID have to keep a log of what we served to other people's kids (I would have fed them balanced meals anyway) -
a protein, a carb, dairy, a fruit and a veg.

We got reimbursed for it. And the kids were healthy. they are STILL healthy.
Does your wife teach your kids how to cook? Do you talk about healthy meals? If so, then you are not having a problem are you?
But other people don't do that. You and I have exchanged posts before about crap parenting. See - the thing is, that crap parenting and/or ignorance of good nutrition DO cost you money. Yes...YOU. So maybe it would be better to care about other people's behavior - so as to protect your OWN self from having to pay for Medicaid, or prison-time, or whatever results occur from said parenting fails...

Possibly? Do you think?

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Mmmm. And I bet you ALSO don't want to foot the bill for the Diabetes, obesity, etc. caused by their poor diets. Right?

I don't want you to pay for my poor decisions.

I want to live in a world which values personal responsibility.

You want to continue to cultivate an environment that encourages and rewards poor decision making.

Someday you will see it, and be horrified at what you've done.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 11:07 AM
link   
a reply to: GetOutOfMyLight

You want to continue to cultivate an environment that encourages and rewards poor decision making.

Someday you will see it, and be horrified at what you've done.

What?!!!

What the hell are you talking about?

The poor decisions are being made by people who feed their kids crap. How on earth do you come up with the allegation that I ENCOURAGE and REWARD poor decision making??

Wow.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 11:09 AM
link   

I don't think they would be horrified, some people here for some strange reason crave big government and it's pretty sad.

link   
I repeat again... one day that warm fuzzy rose colored wool will fall from your eyes and you will see what you've done.

Until then... you will think I'm insane. I'm ok with that.

link   

Before Obamacare, I wouldn't have had to.

I ran a child-care service while my kids were pre-schoolage. I was a registered family day care provider. We DID have to keep a log of what we served to other people's kids (I would have fed them balanced meals anyway) -
a protein, a carb, dairy, a fruit and a veg.

Good thing I don't have to do that. Yet.

We got reimbursed for it. And the kids were healthy. they are STILL healthy.

Yay.

Does your wife teach your kids how to cook? Do you talk about healthy meals? If so, then you are not having a problem are you?

We don't have a state-sponsored lesson plan. Yet.

But other people don't do that. You and I have exchanged posts before about crap parenting. See - the thing is, that crap parenting and/or ignorance of good nutrition DO cost you money. Yes...YOU. So maybe it would be better to care about other people's behavior - so as to protect your OWN self from having to pay for Medicaid, or prison-time, or whatever results occur from said parenting fails...

Bull-poop. Individual responsibility. I don't need to know how another is raising their child(ren).

It only costs me money when the STATE decides it is the STATE's responsibility to pay for it and then take my tax dollars!

Possibly? Do you think?

Nope.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Could be from marijuana being legal.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 11:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: thesaneone
I don't think they would be horrified, some people here for some strange reason crave big government and it's pretty sad.

True.

For the moment I'm willing to give Buzzy the benefit of the doubt that they really do want to be a helpful presence in the world.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 11:12 AM
link   

I simply stated that this has nothing to do with liberalism or progressives. Both sides have sold out to the corporations and so we see crap like this being forced down our throats.

It's insane that we cannot have a bake sale to raise funds...but it's not liberals or conservatives that have done this. It's the fascist crony-capitalists that infest our government and they are on both sides.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join