It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Federal Bake Sale Ban Set to Hit Schools This Fall

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 09:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
a reply to: beezzer

if you would like to start eliminating stupid laws, please start with almost any other one than this one. While i like bake sales....this is pretty low on the priority list.

Which is what it should be for the federal government too......VERY low on the priority list.

The federal government should be concerning itself with MUCH MORE IMPORTANT issues that are going on RIGHT NOW.

Not bake sales in public schools.

Good lord.....

I'm a bit more worried about what is going on with our southern borders. I'm a bit more worried about the federal budget, over spending and our economy. I'm a bit more worried about how the US is conducting it's foreign policies.

But no.......the federal government is going to spend time trying to limit cup cakes being sold to little Sally and little Michael in a public school.....

THAT should be a "very low priority".....
edit on 5-8-2014 by eriktheawful because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 09:33 AM
link   

if you would like to start eliminating stupid laws, please start with almost any other one than this one. While i like bake sales....this is pretty low on the priority list.

We have to start somewhere, and there's nothing that says we have to do it one law at a time.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 09:36 AM
link   

I also agree with your other point - this is a molehill which can be ignored and worked around. We have LOTS of other bigger problems.

First they came for our fire pits, and we ignored it and roasted marshmallows anyway

Then they came for our home improvements, and we ignored it and built a porch anyway

Then they came for the bake sales, and we ignored it

Then they came for ..... and we ignored it

Then we made them angry
and they came for us for ignoring all these things
and put us in jail
or in FEMA camps
because we did something that pi**ed them off.

We need to do a mass elimination of all regulations. Forcing hearings and open voting for any and all regulations. You would see a scramble and only the most important and needed regulations would exist.

edit on 5-8-2014 by grandmakdw because: format

edit on 5-8-2014 by grandmakdw because: little addition

edit on 5-8-2014 by grandmakdw because: highlight

edit on 5-8-2014 by grandmakdw because: format

edit on 5-8-2014 by grandmakdw because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 09:42 AM
link   
a reply to: grandmakdw

*eyeroll*
Whatever, gran.

USDA Proposes Standards to Provide Healthy Food Options in Schools
Questions & Answers
February 1, 2013
What would these proposed standards do?

The proposed standards will allow schools to offer healthier snack foods for our children, while
limiting junk food served to students.

Students will still be able to buy snacks that meet
common-sense standards for fat, saturated fat, sugar, and sodium, while promoting products that
have whole grains, low fat dairy, fruits, vegetables or protein foods as their main ingredients.

It is important to note that USDA has no role in regulating foods brought from home. The
proposed standards do not apply to any foods brought to school in bagged lunches, or for
birthday parties and special events, including after-school bake sales and fundraisers.

The proposed standards would not apply to items sold during non-school hours,
weekends or off-campus fundraising events, such as concessions during sporting events
and school plays.

www.fns.usda.gov...

Forcing hearings and open voting for any and all regulations.

THEY DID have hearings and comments times!

The states can OPT OUT of this stuff - and it doesn't apply to items sold during non-school hours,
weekends or off-campus fundraising events, such as concessions during sporting events
and school plays.

So it's cool. You can relax. No one wants to put you in jail for making cupcakes, gran.

edit on 8/5/2014 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Little freedoms vs big freedoms.

Ignore the little freedoms that they take away. They are molehills.

Just concentrate on the big freedoms.

The problem is that any freedom lost is a big freedom because that then sets a precedent for further encroachment.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 09:48 AM
link   
This thread is truly amazing - somehow it's the liberal progressive's fault that the federal government has put its foot down on cupcake sales, and daggummit, we've got a right to feed our kids cupcakes on school property, on educational time, even though fully 1/3 of those kids are obese and can hardly move NOW, much less 10 or 20 years from now, and 30 year olds are coming down with Type I diabetes, and 6 year olds with type II.... both being well on their way by the time they are in their 20s to blindness, amputations and neuropathy.

And by the way, the government should pay for our diabetes supplies, and our extremely costly medical care, and disability if too many cupcakes washed down with the unholy poison that is Coke comes to its likely conclusion.

I think the government should be buying sports supplies and books too rather than aircraft carriers (no point in being free from 'terrorism' if you're a brain-dead idiot, right?) but how many of these righteous parental units have a teevee in their homes spewing nonsense, and fill their kid's heads with religious delusions, and fly the bloodsoaked American flag outside their houses, not knowing or caring what that flag represents in a few other countries I don't have to name, because we've invaded them lately and blown THEIR children to smithereens?

What if you just donated the money required to make the goddam cookies and cupcakes to the schools? Would that work? Or do you have to make $1 on every 5 cent cupcake? Can't the kid who can afford a $1 cupcake just donate THAT money to the football fund, or the fieldtrip fund or whatever? Kids know a bus requires money for gas and the driver. Let them learn logistics and cost-benefit ratios, that is if they WANT a field trip or a football team, why bribe them with GMO laced, artificially color saturated, sugar bomb cupcakes to get them to open up their little piggy banks, or beg mom for a buck? Or are you okay with teaching them, that THAT is something to yearn for?

edit on 175398amTuesdayf53Tue, 05 Aug 2014 09:53:17 -0500America/Chicago by signalfire because: addendum

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Look, I understand you all have a problem with what you see as "creeping fascism" -
but I also understand that a LOT of what people get all excited about is overblown sensationalist reporting.

Did you look at the website that shows the rules/suggestions/interim rules, and then the final rules?

/shrug and /sigh

Carry on, then.

link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

Thanks for bringing some sanity.
I was just about to post some of that.

I find most of the stuff on ATS that claims the feds are "banning" something simply isn't true AT ALL! Some people gotta bitch about something daily, even if they have to make it up.

edit on 8/5/2014 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

link   
a reply to: OpinionatedB

I doubt anyone is going to jail over a cupcake.

I have 2 boys. Both of whom I have done like you. But, like i said....it just seems like a non issue.

From my business perspective, a relatively low traffic area (i.e., not a lot of adults with expendable cash in their pockets) is not the best area to place your operation. Our local schools all do it at Wal Mart.

Maybe thats why I am not bothered by it. The law seemingly will have little effect on our local area.

And, to be honest....it may be the least enforcable federal law to ever hit the books.

Then again, if cupcakes are what it takes to galvinize the populace against all the other nonsense like ACA, or the pile of bodies in the wake of Fast and Furious and the rest of what amounts to our foreign policy....sure.
Go for it.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Ok, so they had hearings, did any elected official vote on it? Was the public allowed to vote on it?

Hearings without a vote are totally meaningless, because the regulators can do whatever they want regardless of what is said in the hearings.

That is a democratic form of facism or dictatorship, "you can have your say", but "we will have the say"

As for lunches from home, don't you read the news, children's lunches from home are regularly confiscated and the children are then supplied with the "healthy" starvation diet lunches.

Parents home lunches are often discarded for lack of a vegetable when there is fruit in the lunch with a healthy sandwich.

So don't tell me that the federal government isn't forcing it's way.

Each tiny step is a further step to total control of the masses.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 09:57 AM
link   

First they came for our fire pits, and we ignored it and roasted marshmallows anyway

Then they came for our home improvements, and we ignored it and built a porch anyway

Then they came for the bake sales, and we ignored it

Then they came for ..... and we ignored it

"They" haven't "COME FOR OUR" anything!!

"They" haven't come for our firepits, or our guns, or our bake sales, or our yard sales, or ANYTHING! Because "They" don't really care.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 10:00 AM
link   

As for lunches from home, don't you read the news, children's lunches from home are regularly confiscated and the children are then supplied with the "healthy" starvation diet lunches.

Parents home lunches are often discarded for lack of a vegetable when there is fruit in the lunch with a healthy sandwich.

Don't I "read the news"? Yes, dear heart, I do read the news. I do NOT read Fox for news, though - and it's very standard knowledge on this site that most of the MSM is slanted "entertainment".

The sources I just gave you say directly THIS DOES NOT APPLY TO ITEMS BROUGHT FROM HOME IN LUNCHES OR SPECIAL EVENTS.

I remember seeing ONE little article about some kid's sandwich being taken away. Everyone went into a tizzy.
You chose not to look at the sources I gave you - how about you choose to PROVIDE sources for what you are claiming?

Rather than giving yourself a stroke over nothing!?

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Too many (evident in this thread) are apparently comfortable with soft despotism.

It takes away the burdensome responsibility of making your own decisions.

School should be a simple place of learning, not indoctrination and suffocating regulations.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 10:03 AM
link   

The: they came for.....

is satire based on all the inane and stupid regulations

someone earlier said his community ignored the regulations on open fires and building porches without a permit

it is satire to point out

the creeping, subtle, tiny steps the federal government is taking

that can lead to a "1984" (the book) style of government

ignore the cupcake today, you get jailed for a wrong thought tomorrow

that kind of satire

which is what I foresee happening in the USA with the current climate

of politicians who think people not in the political elite class, are "insignificant" (N. Pelosi's words)

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 10:09 AM
link   

someone earlier said his community ignored the regulations on open fires and building porches without a permit

it is satire to point out

the creeping, subtle, tiny steps the federal government is taking

Yep, it was I who said that.

I understand your satirical reference to that old adage...

so - are ALL of your posts in this thread satire?

I just went to do a search on your behalf to find sources citing the lunches being grabbed and discarded. Couldn't find a one. Not one.

I DID, however, find sources that said that the KIDS throw away the vegetables, they get made fun of for not having cookies - they refuse the healthier (yes HEALTHIER) school lunches, which provide PLENTY of calories and LESS fat, sodium, and sugar.

The idea is for kids to have habitual eating routines that provide nutrition and not the JUNK that makes them FAT.

But, hey - if you're being satirical and jokey, sorry I missed it.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 10:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
School should be a simple place of learning, not indoctrination and suffocating regulations.

HA! Schools have been reciting the Pledge of Allegiance for over 100 years and NOW you're upset about indoctrination in schools because they're ALLOWING people to make healthier choices???

How transparent!

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 10:14 AM
link   

beezzer, is this also "satire"?
"Learning" about nutrition and health has always been a part of schools. Phys Ed - remember that? Home Ec - yep, they teach you how to cook, etc.

Kids who are never taught about good nutrition turn out unhealthy. Proven. They don't know how to eat right, and then they grow up, reproduce, and feed their own kids junk. All a bunch of fatties with no idea of how to eat right and exercise.

"Suffocating regulations"? So - do you feed your home-schooled child(ren) cupcakes, Coke, and ice cream for lunch? Cap'n Crunch with Chocolate Milk for breakfast? And then a Happy Meal for dinner? If not, why not?

Too many (evident in this thread) are apparently too lazy to look at the FACTS. It's much more fun to trash people who think we as a country can do better, be healthier, WASTE LESS, and live longer.

edit on 8/5/2014 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 10:18 AM
link   
True story -- my daughter's school found that they just weren't making enough from the various fundraisers. Seems people just didn't really like buying cheap stuff and sugary foods, even if it benefited the school. So, the PTA decided instead to announce that in lieu of selling crap, they would just ask for tax-deductible donations to the school. They made a killing. People were more willing to simply give cash rather than buying stuff they didn't want or need.

The other way they made a lot of money was to solicit vendors to donate products and services that were bid on during a silent auction. They had some really great stuff, including hotel rooms, restaurant dinners, spa visits, pedicures -- all stuff that people really like.

I would buy the cakes/cookies during the fundraisers, but I always threw them out, because I just don't trust homemade goods from strangers. Call me weird, but I'd rather just donate cash to the school.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 10:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

originally posted by: beezzer

HA! Schools have been reciting the Pledge of Allegiance for over 100 years and NOW you're upset about indoctrination in schools because they're ALLOWING people to make healthier choices???

How transparent!

So you're okay with your approved indoctrination, just indoctrination that you don't approve of?

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 10:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs

beezzer, is this also "satire"?
"Learning" about nutrition and health has always been a part of schools. Phys Ed - remember that? Home Ec - yep, they teach you how to cook, etc.

Kids who are never taught about good nutrition turn out unhealthy. Proven. They don't know how to eat right, and then they grow up, reproduce, and feed their own kids junk. All a bunch of fatties with no idea of how to eat right and exercise.

"Suffocating regulations"? So - do you feed your home-schooled child(ren) cupcakes, Coke, and ice cream for lunch? Cap'n Crunch with Chocolate Milk for breakfast? And then a Happy Meal for dinner? If not, why not?

Too many (evident in this thread) are apparently too lazy to look at the FACTS. It's much more fun to trash people who think we as a country can do better, be healthier, WASTE LESS, and live longer.

Much of what you stated should already be taught at home. It isn't the schools (or the state's) responsibility to make sure kids are eating right.

But you must enjoy having a village raise your child.

(rolling eyes)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join