It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Federal Bake Sale Ban Set to Hit Schools This Fall

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 05:35 AM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

I was smart. I do not have children.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 05:38 AM
link   
My wife takes care of the vending machines at our school as part of her duties. Every year she tells me of some new regulation put into effect that limits what can be put in them, when it can be sold, ect. For instance, the machine with only soda in it MUST be shut off during lunch.... Seriously? WTF? My jr/sr years I lived off of mellow yellow and candy bars, high sugar products to counteract sleep deprivation. Guess what, I'm not fat now!

The article insinuates that consession stands at sporting events will be affected too. Selling apples, really? So now not just the students will be affected, the parents and grandparents won't be able to get a hotdog before long.

Several posters hit the nail on the head- Americans will put up with it, because we are slowly being 'broke', and sooner or later we will be just as tame as the dogs they want us to be.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 05:49 AM
link   
In our school district, in western NY, we aren't allowed to have bake sales, do not sell food items for profit. They also do not allow kids to bring in homemade baked goods, or anything that is not store bought / without a closed seal on it, for birthday celebrations in the classrooms.

I guess I didn't even think that any schools had bake sales any more. I can't remember a time when our district did. Many of the policies for bringing in food items are due to food allergies (nuts, eggs, etc).

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 06:03 AM
link   
This is what a police-state looks like.

A controlling central authority dictating what you can and cannot do.

Just another extension of Obamacare really.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 06:12 AM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

I'm sure there's many more, but this Chicago story was the first thing I thought of:

At his public school, Little Village Academy on Chicago's West Side, students are not allowed to pack lunches from home. Unless they have a medical excuse, they must eat the food served in the cafeteria.

Principal Elsa Carmona said her intention is to protect students from their own unhealthful food choices.

articles.chicagotribune.com...

Interesting side note: our First Lady was born and raised in Chicago. Coincidence?

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 06:15 AM
link   
a reply to: lonweld

This is a great example of government being better at raising your child than you are.

Government "cares" more.
Government "knows" more.

(Reason # 12485 Why I Home School)

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 06:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Diabolical

I was smart. I do not have children.

Each to their own.

Mine are my reason to exist, they bring great joy in an otherwise unstable world.

I tend to celebrate our differences so I applaud your choice but it would not suit me.

P

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 06:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: stormcell
These things happen in libtarded school boards. The middle-class schools would run bake sales and other "booster" charity events for extra facilities for their schools. Then the libtarded school board would say "Now that's not fair that you have so much funds while the low income schools don't, you're just going to have to share", and then they take 90% of those funds and hand them over to the other schools. The parents then just give up on those types
of fundraising event.

No, this is not happening in "libtard school boards." If that were the case - that it were happening on a local school board level in a few municipalities - I'd still think it stupid, but I'd not be so torqued about it.

This is federal. That's a whole different animal.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 06:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
a reply to: lonweld
(Reason # 12485 Why I Home School)

You go, Beezzer!

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 06:27 AM
link   
No time to look, but I'm betting this is another ridiculous mountain-meet-molehill notion by someone to discredit someone or agitate someone else.

1. The linked website is offline.
2. The feds can't ban bake sales unless by chance they tie this to federal funding. Not saying they wouldn't, but bake sales doesn't seem like a battle they'd really care about.

I've purchased a lot of baked sale goods over the years...and tossed them right in the trash, and fully expect the same was done with all I baeked. I don't trust something when I don't know where it came from. Yeah...I don't eat out a lot.
edit on 8/5/2014 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 06:31 AM
link   
a reply to: ~Lucidity

A sad indictment on society in general when people actually trust government over other people.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 06:32 AM
link   

Who trusts government? Stop being so partisan, can you? Even once? Some of this one-trick pony stuff is getting REALLY old.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 06:36 AM
link   
My children went to a very small school through most of their school years.

It was hot dog fundraisers (concession) at every single basketball game that purchased our new gym floor, it was bake sales galore that purchased the computers in the school library for the kids to learn on (seriously, we purchased the computers, the state did not) We did fund raisers to raise money for school supplies for the poorer children in our school, fund raisers for gym uniforms, Fund raisers for classroom items - extra curriculum learning items that the teachers wanted and couldn't afford.

Gosh, I cannot think of anything nice our kid's had that wasn't paid for by cookies, cakes (we had many a cake walk) cupcakes, hot dogs and the like....

The government doesn't give schools enough money, and as parents you have to figure out where the rest of the money is going to come from... and you bake and sell your butt off...

They hate our children, I swear to god they hate them. They want kids to have a bad education and bad equipment. That way they are too stupid to fight back... a well educated child is a danger to them.

It has to be... these sales support our kid's education... F them! F them... I say have the bake sales anyway. They aren't the one's trying to figure out how to make sure the kids have the latest models of computer to learn computer skills on! We are! F them!
edit on 5-8-2014 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 06:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Diabolical

They just had a case here where a child laced her grandmas cooking before she took it to church. ... Or, the case in Florida where someone laced their meat with '___'. It happens. ...

Honestly, how many times do you think you've eaten at a fast food restaurant and somebody spit on your burger?

More times than you care to imagine.

You know, I really heard the sound of bleating as I read that post.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 06:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: OpinionatedB
They hate our children, I swear to god they hate them. F them!

No, OpinionatedB, you gots it all wrong. The gummint loves our kiddies.

Like the farmer loves the livestock her raises.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 06:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: ~Lucidity

Who trusts government? Stop being so partisan, can you? Even once? Some of this one-trick pony stuff is getting REALLY old.

Where have I been partisan? I said, "government". Not progressive, GOP, liberal.

Apparently you stated you don't trust people.

Yet you trust government?

Don't care what "side of the aisle" government is. I don't trust it.

Embrace any ideology you want. I'll still trust people over any type of government.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 06:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: ~Lucidity

I think Lucidity is sadly missing the point.

However, it's true that less and less people trust the gummint. But most people are just too #%^$&% lazy to get off of their @$$es and make their own way.

It's not the wicked people with the agenda who are the problem. It's the lazy ones who won't risk withdrawing their support from the system because they might be a little bit discomfited and may miss an episode of American Idol (or whatever the mind numbing, sould crushing drivel is on the stupid box these days).
edit on 5-8-2014 by incoserv because: I love typing in this little box.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 06:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
Don't care what "side of the aisle" government is. I don't trust it.

Embrace any ideology you want. I'll still trust people over any type of government.

Beezer, Beezer, you're all worked up. Just calm down and sip the kool aid. It's gonna be alright.

The gummint is here to make it better.

Those people to your left, those people to your right, those flesh-and-blood entities ... can't be too sure about them. Let Big Brother take care of you.

Big Brother loves you. :-*

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 06:53 AM
link   
a reply to: incoserv
I am sadly missing NO points. I am simply ridiculing the way these points are made. What's sad is and a pathetic joke is how threads like this manifest and reappear and manipulate agitation.

Would it make you happier if I changed "so partisan" to "so overly dramatic?"

Partisan has more than one meaning. A partisan is a strong supporter of a party, cause, or person. And there is nothing wrong with that. Or enthusiam. Or strong beliefs.

But all the jumping on the same bandwagon saying the same things...well it just gets tedious. And there are very clear patterns of this tedium all over ATS from different factions that follow each other around and get all agitated, usually over Girl Scout Cookies, chefs, and bake sales. Stuff of the FaceBook nation maybe, but not so much of ATS.

Then again, I blame myself for no noticing which forum I wandered into.
edit on 8/5/2014 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 07:04 AM
link   
a reply to: ~Lucidity

perhaps if you realized exactly what these mean to the children of our nation, you would understand more.

I am serious. When my kids were in school I was one of those bake sale mom's, and on the school board. There was NEVER enough money for things. We didn't have even one computer for the kid's to learn on - even in 1999. THAT was the year we afforded computers for the kids.

My daughter was 9 years old before we got computers in that school. Do you know what paid for those? Bake sales! These fundraising events go toward making sure kid's have all the things they need, that cannot be afforded any other way.

My daughter's 5th grade teacher spend half his pay buying classroom supplies - and he didn't make much. Anything the teachers couldn't afford, they came to us... and we had bake sales and made sure the teachers had the items they felt was important for learning.

Much money for education doesn't come from taxes or the government. Much of it comes from us!

So yeah, I'm pissed about this... and it isn't effecting my kid's anymore, but it will effect yours, and my grandchildren and our neighbors children ect.

The areas with great educations, often supply those educational supplies more imaginatively. Through these sales - and much hard work!

edit on 5-8-2014 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join