It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2014 Seafair Airshow experience

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 09:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Sammamishman

No, that smoke is a residual of it. They inject it into the engine, and it cools the air which allows more air to be compressed into the engine, giving more power.

That's why the old KC-135s, and the B-52s up to the G model left such godawful smoke trails.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 09:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Biigs

I would love to do the Mach Loop in your neck of the woods.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Hey, thanks for sharing. I have a soft spot for military planes and especially the Blue Angels. The skill and ability it must take and practice for those pilots astounds me every time. Amazing!

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Here's a fun one for you guys.

When I was 8, we lived in New Hampshire. One day my father called and told my mother to bring my brother and I by the hanger he worked at, he had a surprise for us.

He opened the man door in the main doors, we walked in, and there sat an SR-71 in all her glory (almost no one on base even knew she was there). She had been on her way home, and her navigation system crapped out. They launched one of the base takers who met up with her and guided her in, to wait a maintenance team.

So, anyway, we walked up to the ropes around her, my father looked at the guard, and motioned towards her, and he said, "go ahead". So we got to go right under her and get a close up of one of the most beautiful airplanes ever.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 09:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: queenofsheba
Hey, thanks for sharing. I have a soft spot for military planes and especially the Blue Angels. The skill and ability it must take and practice for those pilots astounds me every time. Amazing!

The blue angels are good, the red arrows are also just as skilled.

Fantastic to see them fly around in a tight formation and use their smoke.

The arrows do a trade mark multi coloured (blue red and white) break away move that looks awesome, they come in fast and then arch up just after passing the crowd and spred out in all directions - really looks amazing

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 09:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
He opened the man door in the main doors, we walked in, and there sat an SR-71 in all her glory (almost no one on base even knew she was there).

wow what a treat!!!

Ive never seen one of those "in person" - definitly you hit the aircraft nerd lottery!!!!

edit: id love to have a look around, poke at or sit in one of those new f-35s

I bet they are amazing

edit on b1414922 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 09:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Nice. To think it probably just came back from Soviet airspace, with them trying their hardest to catch her.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 09:14 PM
link   

I literally grew up on one flightline or another. I did more things growing up than two or three other people combined probably got to do in a lifetime.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Yeah, it's interesting to think where she might have been before ending up in our back yard.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 09:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Yeah, it's interesting to think where she might have been before ending up in our back yard.

chances are that she has been all over the world.

Id like to chat with a SR-71 pilot, i dont want to know where they went or why - just what its like to fly that high for hours over all kinds of terrain.

I bet they seen some of the best views in the world.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 09:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Biigs Would love to see her, the Memphis Belle someday. She's in a museum somewhere I believe after restoration but not sure which one. I named a puppy after her
Very significant in WWII history if memory serves me correctly.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Sled Driver and The Untouchables by Brian Shul. They're expensive but well worth the cost.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 09:24 PM
link   
a reply to: queenofsheba

First crew to survive 25 combat missions over Europe.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 09:25 PM
link   
a reply to: queenofsheba

she is at the "National Museum of the United States Air Force at Wright-Patterson AFB in Dayton, Ohio." according to the some times unreliable wikipedia website

Ive been able to touch spitfires and old large bombers, the history behind them and the fact they survived is really amazing, once you touch it its almost like you can feel the history!

A very strange thing to witness and be a part of, once you touch it, you are now a part of the history.

I know its got a morbid history but id like to touch the enola gay - just once. Thats serious human history, forgetting for a moment why its so important and the chaos it left behind.

EDIT: actually no, i want to touch it BECAUSE it has a morbid but world changing history behind it. I know it killed tens of thousands of people, but it was one plane that changed the world with one flight. Id like to be one of the few who get to see her.

edit on b3232918 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 09:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Biigs I know what you mean about the Enola Gay...such a huge part of history but wow...the mission. Yes...I get that. I've often wondered how it must have felt for those that took part in that mission, who had a hand in that kind of destruction, but on the other hand, they stopped a war. A concept hard to grasp I'm sure. Very sobering to have had been a part of that I'm sure.

I've always been amazed by airplanes and love to watch them in the sky and I live near a Naval Base where the Blue Angels are out of and get to see them fly and practice. The strange thing is, I really have this fear of flying and have flown twice in my life and hated it but I love to watch them in the sky.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 10:06 PM
link   
The noise is great when you go there for the day but when you live near an Airforce base you quickly think to yourself, why cant they invent a SILENT engine.

Great Pics for a point and shoot.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 03:13 AM
link   

I might be able to get you a video of that if you want. Guy I know showed me a clip. I was wondering about the smoke.

Neat video.

edit on 0520140820141 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 07:35 AM
link   

I know what you mean. I feel that way whenever I touch the belly of the M-21 (CIA drone launching SR-71). Like it is a living creature with a life of it's own.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 07:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

Sure.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Love the old warbirds. Something about a prop plane makes me come alive. Great pics, thanks for sharing.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join