It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2014 Seafair Airshow experience

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Well over the week end I and the family decided to get a look at part of Seattle's Seafair Airshow. Here are some of the highlights:

Please forgive the quality of the shots, I only have a POS point and shoot.

P47, P51, Super Marine Spitfire and P40

Marine Corp. AV-8b

Marine Corp. F/A-18

KC-130J with trailing CH-53E

CH-53E Super Stallion

Marine Corp. CH-46

Marine Corp. MV-22 Osprey

UH-1Y HUEY/VENOM

Blue Angels

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 07:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Sammamishman

Those are pretty good for a point and click.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Those are some great pictures!!

Oddly i had a dream last night about a British red arrow (British stunt flying team, using BAE hawk jets) flying over my house with a trail of red smoke, and it landed little bits of red flakes or somthing around us and everyone was pissed off because flew to low. I have no idea if thats actually how it works, just an odd random dream.

I really like the first pic with the WWII prop planes, thats cool to see them all like that together in good working order

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 07:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Thanks it's a FujiFilm Finepix F72 EXR with a broken zoom and paint chipped off the corners. Still wanting that DSLR.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 07:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Biigs

Thanks. The WWII planes are the Flying Heritage Collection. They fly at most of the local events here in the NW. They have some nice planes.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 07:48 PM
link   

You and me both. Although with luck soon I'll have other priorities.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Looking at static displays in a museum sure doesn't compare to seeing them in action. Ya gotta love the sound of the p51 with the Merlin engine.
When I was a little kid f4s would fly over my house and rattle the windows,,,,man i miss that. We get a10 flyovers now.
Thanks for the pics!

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 08:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Hoosierdaddy71

I guess it would just be rubbing it in to talk about being on the end of the runway recovering drag chutes, and watching launches huh.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Yes,,, yes it would,,
Lol

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 08:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hoosierdaddy71
Looking at static displays in a museum sure doesn't compare to seeing them in action. Ya gotta love the sound of the p51 with the Merlin engine.
When I was a little kid f4s would fly over my house and rattle the windows,,,,man i miss that. We get a10 flyovers now.
Thanks for the pics!

I used to be dragged to airshows as my father was in the RAF, i used to say "aww but i dont wanna see a bunch of boring planes i want to play with my friends".

From the second i got there and heard that roar and got up close to the grounded jets on display, i loved it.

You just dont realize how fast and how loud they are till one screams overhead - ive also been a witness to a real sonic boom (the pilot got in major trouble), simply saying sonic boom just dont come close to describing just how loud and terrifying it is as a jet zips past at a few thousand feet, you see it zip past and you think "oh thats fast, how cool" then the boom hits you after you already can hardly see it - you feel it in your chest - its almost like being punched in a lung.

Overall though, totally worth it all, great day out.

edit: oh and at one of the shows one year they did a helicopter display, they had 20 or so spred in a line over a half mile doing manoeuvre's and even one dangermouse pilot did a loop-de-loop in a heli!!!! EPIC!

edit on b3030810 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 08:33 PM
link   

One of the most impressive sounds ever was standing at the point where the nose gear of a group of B-1s lifted off when they launched thirty seconds apart. The first was lifting the nose as the next one was rolling.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 08:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

One of the most impressive sounds ever was standing at the point where the nose gear of a group of B-1s lifted off when they launched thirty seconds apart. The first was lifting the nose as the next one was rolling.

I have actually heard a b-1 take off and fly around above me, they are not the most subtle of planes LOL !!!

Ever seen/heard a harrier take off, just a random model here the GR9. holy balls are those loud.

once i was staying at a mess hall and one came in for the dinner party outside they had to commemorate the station and jet that it hosted. The harrier came in at a few hundred feet and nodded while hovering (while i spyed from one of the wings in the mess) while amazing to see, it was one of the loudest things ive ever witnessed, im actually supprised the windows of the mess halls didnt blow out honestly.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 08:40 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 08:42 PM
link   

How about sitting at the end of the Fairchild AFB (SAC) in the late 60's watching a flight of ten B52's take off? We were about, my dad and me, 3/4's of a mile from the end of the runway, just off to one side.

Given the paranoia of the times? I'm amazed we didn't get arrested...now that I think on it. 'cause those big, ugly, fat fellas were packin' serious heat. Like surface of the sun heat...

He hadn't retired yet, so maybe that's why...

Still the most awesome plane spectacle I've ever seen, to this day. Though two low flying f-104's over Loon Lake in Idaho come as close as anything. Afterburners lit, about three hundred feet up...

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 08:43 PM
link   

They used to come through in groups of twelve every year. Two groups of twelve, one going East, one going West. We'd get the occasional other group, but the start of the year they'd swap planes among the squadrons.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 08:44 PM
link   

At this display they had two of them (Harriers). One was hovering over the lake and the other was flying circles with the two F/A-18. I tried to get pics of the one hovering but it slipped behind a tree line at the time.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 08:45 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Typhoon recovery of 15 of the beats. I was about 11, and out there hooking up power units, and safing bomb bay doors as we parked them, then running to the next one, that was waiting someone to park it.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 08:46 PM
link   

They require 60 gallons of distilled water according to the maintenance guys if they're going to hover.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 08:52 PM
link   
I dont know what jets they were because they were too high or too fast.

But when a few would fly over on a blue sky day in north wales, your see two fly over, but you didnt hear a thing till they were almost gone, but then youd hear a crack/boom and a roar and then they were gone. They did training flying, some times one would come through the vally but since they wernt meant to go super sonic you hear them coming and cover your ears as they ripped through the valley at a few thousand fleet.

some times they came though much lower but that was very rare. Those guys had serious skill/balls.

edit on b5858808 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 08:59 PM
link   

He was belching a black smoke trail as he transitioned from hover back to straight and level. Is the water to cool the exhaust tips?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join