It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

We are ALL smokers now!

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 11:11 PM
a reply to: OpinionatedB

I agree - now define "good" education! Is it eating only organic? going vegan? avoiding carbs? avoiding salt? avoiding fats? Since some disease or other has been associated with every type of food on the planet - I would guess the safest thing to do is to just avoid eating!

Some people have high metobolisms and must eat sugar to get the energy and avoid always feeling hungry.

Different people have different needs.

Additionally, there is cultural influence, convenience and ease of preparation, cost, personal likes and dislikes.

Yet - somehow people think there is one perfect answer. There is not!

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 11:14 PM
a reply to: TiredofControlFreaks

we are a very healthy population that really does not have a lot of illness

I actually disagree with you on this one.

As a society, we are far far sicker than we were decades ago. Increasing rates of cancer, asthma, allergies, diabetes, childhood diseases, autoimmune diseases, etc. The numbers don't lie.

The only reason we are living longer now is because we're a pharmaceutically induced society. Those pharmaceuticals slow the process of nature taking its course, in terms of the rate at which an illness shuts down our body. Those pharmaceuticals are replacing bodily functions that are no longer working properly (ie: beta blockers, thyroid replacement drugs, inhalers, etc).

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 11:15 PM

I don't know, my stepdad who fought in WWII the Battle of the Bulge smoked and drank till his dying age of 86. Heck, when he was discharged with a wooden leg they didn't have meds to manage his PTSD so he utilized Jack, Jim, Schnapps and B&B...was one better than the other? He smoked, but that isn't what killed him. Tobacco has it's useful purposes and it's a natural remedy for some things, the one coming to mind as a stimulant and it supposedly kills intestinal worms, eew but true I guess.

Pick your poison; we have a lot to choose from: caffeine, sugar, fast food, big pharma i.e. antidepressants/antianxiety, and the list goes on. It's a personal choice but we are all addicted to something. Every one of us.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 11:16 PM

Of course different people have MUCH different needs. I mentioned that earlier.... which is why I said opening the door to public health care opened a can of worms letting others into your private life when not every nutritional need is the same.

The education HAS to be real education, a man who works his rear off in the heat 8 hours a day and is active, has a much greater need for those things which would be "bad" for an office worker.

Education however is key... and real education, not fake stuff or only education that applies to one segment of society and ignores another.

I personally like organic, but what they allow to be labeled as organic in the store really isn't organic... that is a lie too... I dislike lies.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 11:19 PM
a reply to: CranialSponge

Awesome post, everyone should read it. I said that earlier too... the ONLY reason we are living longer is big pharma...

we need to backtrack quite a bit if we truly want to be a healthy society. And start doing real research that is not paid for by corporations to find out what is really good for us and what is causing some of these new problems that are now prevalent in society these days!

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 11:26 PM
a reply to: OpinionatedB

Absolutely, I agree.

We, as individuals, need to take the bull by the horns with regards to our own health, do our own research, educate ourselves, and figure out what will and won't work for each person based on their genetic makeup.

The lies and crap we get fed every day (ie: so-called "organic" store bought products) is just that... crap.

We're getting sicker, and everybody is pointing 6 billion fingers at 6 billion different things. Meanwhile, the government just continues to allow products and foods to pass "safety and consumption".

It's all smoke and mirrors.

Ugh.... I need a drink and a cigarette.

Edit to add:

And then the government turns around and enforces heavier taxes on foods and products they deem to be harmful (sinful)... that they themselves regulated and allowed to be sold to consumers in the first place !!
edit on 4-8-2014 by CranialSponge because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 12:42 AM
a reply to: theabsolutetruth

You should write a cookbook. I've tried to eat better and was doing well until a 3 week trip for work. It's hard to eat well in a hotel.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 06:40 AM
But, There is a perfect answer. It's called " excercise ".

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 07:31 AM
Here in the states they did change the definition of obesity a little before the spike in the obesity rates I do believe. I think that at least part of that spike is because they changed it so that more would fit the term..

Personally people who are so concerned with my personal habits costing them money irk the crap out of me!!
it isn't so much that the cigarettes are bad as it is that the chemicals they put in the cigarettes are bad. And if proceed to do the research into it you will find that those same chemicals are added to so many common products that more than likely even if you never come in contact with cig smoke again you will be overexposed to these chemicals.
The have saturated our world in a bunch of man made chemicals many of which they have no idea weather they are safe or not..

But no, this couldn't be the problem could it?? I mean it is much easier to blame the people and their habits than it is to destroy such profitable industries isn't it?

And why is there all this concern about me killing myself with my habits if it isn't that you somehow think that it will result in it costing you money? oh ya.. it' is also oh so much more profitable to pay your employees lower and lower wages while charging more and more for your goods and services. Leaving them strapped for cash and the ward of the state.

ya it is much easier to demonize small groups of people than it is to truly address the problems

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 11:35 AM
a reply to: dawnstar

You are exactly right. People don't realize that the term "organic" is simply a USDA standard for pesticides used. You can have a GMO crop that is also 'organic'. Until the FDA and USDA quit meddling in the farms of this country things will never change.

And whoever it was that said they could eat organic as cheap or cheaper than regular is smoking crack or not from the USA! I by my beef from a local farmer because I can get it for $2.59 a pound. But I have to buy at least 200lbs to get that price. When I shop for groceries, I am not buying beef. Every other week I may buy some chicken or pork. Yet my grocery bill is over $150 a week. The majority of that is in buying organic fruits/veggies. I also buy free range eggs and raw milk from my local farmers market, so add another $25 to that total. We do not eat a diet of junk food. We do have it occasionally, but not as a daily thing. We buy very little processed foods. Yet by government standards we are both obese. Neither one of us have health issues (both in the 50y/o range).

I have smoked for over 35 years, my wife nearly 30. No high blood pressure, no elevated cholesterol, normal blood sugar and triglycerides. We both have vitals of teenagers. We eat bacon and eggs every morning. We eat red meat at least 4 times per week for dinner, and sometimes for lunch. By all accounts and studies, we should be dead based on our habits and eating the meat/eggs we are not supposed to eat. But then again we rarely take any medications. We tend to look for natural alternatives to standard OTC medicines. Big Pharma drugs, GMO food and HFCS are the biggest culprits to an unhealthy life that ever existed. Remove those from your diet and watch how healthy you become. As my wife's doctor said, fat does not equal unhealthy just as thin does not equal health. Metabolisms differ. It;s what you consume that makes the difference.

We have all of these new diseases that either were rare or did not exist prior to the 1980's. So what happened? Two things. And if you were to look at the health charts you would see spikes at two points in our past. the 1980's and mid to late 90's. The 1980's saw the introduction of HFCS into the diet. You are hard pressed to buy a processed food that HFCS isn't the first or second ingredient. In the 1990's it was GMO's. No one really knows what the long term effects of these foods are. Just like the honey bees. They are the barometer for when something is seriously wrong. They are dying because the pollen from these GMO foods are killing them.

Take what I said as you will. I look at my grandparents and what they ate. Their diet was the same as their parents, and their parents and so forth back generations. How is that all of a sudden in the last 40 years what people have eaten for over 10,000 years is bad for us?

Things that make you go hmmm....

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 02:06 PM

originally posted by: TiredofControlFreaks

So we are all smokers now - welcome to a world where "society" is comprised only of skinny people who don't smoke, don't drink and for social talk means discussing their latest training regime. The rest of us are ALL outcast!

Tired of Control Freaks

So we are all smokers now - welcome to a world where "society" is comprised only of skinny people who don't smoke, don't drink and are up to date with the latest untested designer vaccines mandated by the state under threat of financial penalty and insurance cancellation.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 02:29 PM
a reply to: CranialSponge

To CranialSponge and OpinionatedB

I find what you are saying about there being more disease than ever very interesting. I would like to explore and discuss why you feel that way.

1. Which diseases do you feel are on the rise
2. Why you feel that this generation (do you mean 50 - 80 or the younger generation, please specify) is sicker than the generation prior to it is less healthy?

I would really like to define this better and explore why you have both formed this opinion.

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 04:05 PM
A message to those now being targeted,

So you don't like being treated the same as YOU allowed others (smokers) to be treated? Go screw yourself! And then learn a lesson from this. If you allow the persecution of someone prepared for them to laugh in your face when the same happens to you. And don't forget that it was YOU who gave this government that is now targeting you, the RIGHT to target others.

A very happy, laughing his ass off smoker

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 06:18 PM
I never heard the term "food like substance " before I became a vegan. Most of what is available cheap and ready has no nutritional value or is worse than that because the ingredients either prevent you from asorbing nutrients or leech vitimins and minerals from you to digest.

I'm lucky that I'm a good cook because I DID NOT want to go vegan. In fact when the Dr first told me to go vegan I refused.

Where I live anything that's good for you is expensive. If I dare to want a vegan sausage I have to drive out of town to get it. That makes it waaaaay more expensive than I'm willing to pay.

I'm very hopeful in regards to the lunch program Mrs. Obama worked on. Being the children of a vegan has taught my kids not to est half the crap they try to serve as food at school. And if they're willing to eat it, they come home wondering how a cook can take the same ingredients that their mother using and not have a good result.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 07:39 PM

edit on 5/8/2014 by douglas5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 09:50 PM
I think both tobacco and foods suffer from the same culprit, chemicals.

just do some research into people that live off the land, all natural.

if you don't want to do the research then here is a link to a video, mind you its not about health or anything like that its actually about Ayahuasca, but 30 seconds in to the video you hear of this man that is about to be 94 years old, has never been to a doctor, but you can see from the video he seems to be in much better shape then most 94 year old's.

These are people that live off the land, work hard daily, and smoke. Seems to me that this is how we should be living, not gorging on foods full of chemicals that are not naturally in our foods to being with.

If we had a single payer system i do think people that live unhealthy lives should pay their fare share, why should i pay for someone's lack of self control. My uncle gets disability checks because he went blind due to diabetes, yet he still eats crap like Mcdonalds every other day...

Same goes for smokers, i was a smoker before, smoked for like 10 years, i stopped because i realized every time i went up a flight of stairs my heart was racing like i ran a mile, i was breathing deeper and i was actually tired, and im talking about my house stairs not no walk up a building. Now i run 2 miles every day like nothing.

Hey haarvik so you've smoked for over 35 years and got the vitals of a teenager, well then post a video of you running 2 miles, i know a bunch of teenagers that will gladly run those 2 miles so we can compare their videos with yours. i'll even post one of me ; ]

by the way, no joke, when i stopped smoking i coughed up black mucus for months.....

but since we dont have a single payer system yet, its up to insurance companies how they wanna charge people that live unhealthy lives.

Should we tax products causing obesity, sure if they are actually causing a burden.
If your obese and need two seats in an airplane should you not pay for the second seat?

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 10:51 PM
a reply to: ZeussusZ

I am curious as to which country you are from, for in Australia, it's totally illegal to grow your own tobacco (although not all are compliant thankfully), which is such an abstract parallel to the restrictions on hemp (systematically controlled distribution). If they can't tax it, we can't have it.

To grow your own tobacco disallows sinister companies from tainting cigarettes with deadly chemicals, in order to make the experience of a drag that little bit more pleasant (burns faster, burns away even if you don't apply any of your breath to it). I'm well aware that this has been discussed in many forum posts, and that you all get the general 'carry-on' of that particular issue.

Particular states in the U.S.A. have made the personal collection of rainwater illegal (water-tanks), along with growing fruit and vegetable gardens. What is worrying is, what's next?

- Georgia man fined over growing too many vegetables in his garden.

- Growing your own garden will be illegal. It is now illegal to collect rain water!

Soon family farms, broadly, will be subjected to the same perceptions as meth labs (criminals). All the cows milk, all the chickens eggs, and all the sheep's wool will be infected with all the government's chemical candy, world-wide. Can't let the average man feed himself, just like he can't medicate himself, even though nature has provided for both and more.

What will we have left that isn't purely produced by nature?

As per mentioned by 'Klassified', when they come for everything you need, you will be a one man army. It's a countdown to '1', and as the (economically) less-developed countries (4th,3rd,2nd world countries) destroy themselves in attempts at survival, they have no time for our petty needs. Flat-tires, and bad hair days, have no comparison to the countries in complete turmoil. They will subvert everybody before they do you, so when your ticket is drawn, you'll have nobody to revert to.

When they have withered away, it will be our turn to pay. For the clock will strike one, and we the mice of this life, down we'll, churned with dismay, and a block of the sun. To escape the bucket of butter, we'll have to become rats, and disregard our brother, in order to escape the cats. Resume their place, in the global rat-race, and their vicious ignorance will continue to consume.

Funny that particular nursery rhyme hails from within the brilliantly orchestrated "Mother Goose' collections. A sickly misconstrued ideal of surviving the modern world, a dark influence on the youth, who'll one day be running the world as an entire group.

Soon it will just be they, for we are up on time, and in the path of Santa's/Satan's Sleigh/Slay. Under their paws, we are puppets to the great beast. When he roars, be diligent, and defeat the muppets who let their vices feast. Don't be proud and let it all show, as Rudolph records everything of your investing, with his shiny red-nose.

Don't get the impression I'm some religious maniac trying to press any belief. I just like trying to let people see how everything is, in some way or form, manipulated to benefit a greater power. To me, Satan is a delusional concept utilized, and further compromised, by the shadow empires, that doom humanity, in order to keep us herding like sheep, afraid to stray from the group. Whether or not he is of this physical plain, conscious manifestation, fallen angel, extra-dimensional entity, extra-terrestrial being, or anti-moral representation, we should not be distracted by justifying the purpose of being good.

He sees you when you're sleeping
He knows when you're awake
He knows if you've been bad or good
So be good for goodness sake
Goodness sake

Satan's claws are coming, to town.

edit on 5-8-2014 by lucanvert because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 01:54 AM

originally posted by: donhuangenaro
I have an example in my family and also I have heard stories about people that never smoked and avoided smoking areas (and were fanatically against smoking) dying from lung cancer...

so I smoke and don't care...

What a joke 80% of lung cancers are by non smokers, and obesity has increased because smoking as an appetite suppressant is in decline.. Consumers are being played like jerks. Diabetes, breast and prostate cancer, and many weird diseases are becoming endemic in the developed countries. Because of the denatured food with all the essential elements removed. Lack of Vitamin B3 which Nicotine is converted into, looks a lot like Schizophrenia. The evidence that Nicotine has a protective effect on nerve cells, and delays or stops Parkinson's and Alzheimer's disease is undeniable. The fact that not so long ago it was prescribed for asthma. So its looking like billions of dollars have been spent in vain and have demonised a large percentage of the population. Sure smoking two packs a day is immoderate, but in some supressed surveys, ten a day has been shown to have health benefits.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 02:21 AM

originally posted by: Spruce
I could care less if people smoke or eat to much. They do it for a reason and that reason is none of my business.

Ya, that reason is they actually believe they are free to choose.

That and the fact that they really do not realize that this smoking actually does control your life, but they cannot face anything, much less handle their own thoughts!

"Let me control myself , I gotta smoke so I can show everyone how I can make whatever choices I make!"

This is one instance where I think the smokers really have no idea in the world what to say.... so they try and group it in with REAL problems.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 02:59 AM
a reply to: TiredofControlFreakswhen they try to take away my mlontaun dew /sundrop i hotta draw the line. give my coke or give me death . there is to many aeses ouit there who think they know what is best for everyone else. to hell with them i say,.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>