It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Department of Agriculture cracks down on seed libraries

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 11:23 AM
link   

It was a letter officials with the Cumberland County Library System were surprised to receive.

The system had spent some time working in partnership with the Cumberland County Commission for Women and getting information from the local Penn State Ag Extension office to create a pilot seed library at Mechanicsburg’s Joseph T. Simpson Public Library.

The effort was a new seed-gardening initiative that would allow for residents to “borrow” seeds and replace them with new ones harvested at the end of the season.

Sounds awesome doesn't it? Not only is it teaching folk how to harvest and save the seeds for replanting but a FREE source of healthy food!

Well, not so fast.........

“We did talk to the county extension office before establishing the seed library,” Darr told Cumberland County commissioners at their meeting Thursday morning. “We were never apprised of the Seed Act.”

The commissioners were equally flabbergasted by the change of events, as well as with how the agriculture department handled the investigation — sending a high-ranking official and lawyers to a meeting with the library.

Darr explained that the Seed Act primarily focuses on the selling of seeds — which the library was not doing — but there is also a concern about seeds that may be mislabeled (purposefully or accidentally), the growth of invasive plant species, cross-pollination and poisonous plants.

The department told the library it could not have the seed library unless its staff tested each seed packet for germination and other information. Darr said that was clearly not something staff could handle.

Source

So it appears that they violated Department of Agricultures Seed Act of 1984! I found the act in full which can be found HERE It has 71 pages which I will look into further and possibly elaborate at a later time....

Interestingly enough though, I want to USDA AMS which apparently is the enforcement branch of this so called "Seed Act" and found this!

Federal Seed Act

• The Federal Seed Act regulates the interstate shipment of agricultural and vegetable seeds.
• The FSA requires that seed shipped in interstate commerce be labeled with information that allows seed buyers to make informed choices.
• Seed labeling information and advertisements pertaining to the seed must be truthful.
• The FSA helps promote uniformity among State laws and fair competition within the seed trade.

So there it is! Isn't it?

Interstate being the key word! How is it possible that they send a goon squad with lawyers threatening a small town seed library for violating this act when first off they are NOT selling the seeds and secondly they are giving them to people whom live in the area so that they can plant them, harvest them, and turn in MORE seeds, so that others may continue to produce their own healthy food?

Government over reach? Agenda 21?

You decide.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 11:30 AM
link   
One more example of the strictly non essential laws being passed and enforced to satisfy some special interest group who will profit from the enforcement of same.....
One way or another, the insidious prying into peoples private lives by government regulation......
Indeed providing high paid employment and pensions for useless government officials but serving no other purpose but enriching the pockets of big ag business.....
It definitely getting to the point where we will have to resist or become ants in a colony of other ants.....
We cannot abide these people in authority grabbing for even more power over us....The police state is already here....
edit on 4-8-2014 by stirling because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 11:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: stirling
One more example of the strictly non essential laws being passed and enforced to satisfy some special interest group who will profit from the enforcement of same.....
One way or another, the insidious prying into peoples private lives by government regulation......
Indeed providing high paid employment and pensions for useless government officials but serving no other purpose but enriching the pockets of big ag business.....
It definitely getting to the point where we will have to resist or become ants in a colony of other ants.....
We cannot abide these people in authority grabbing for even more power over us....The police state is already here....

Your right!

Notice how the government puppet made the comment about "agri-terrorism"? Really? When I hear that term, Monsanto comes to mind INSTANTLY!

Throw in that T word and people will be begging for the government to save them while taking away an important freedom! It's called feeding your family without enriching a corporation.........
edit on 4-8-2014 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 11:43 AM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963 Their scare tactics lack the impressive quality they are trying to establish.How is it they can find and repremand the smallest efforts for survival?
Seed saving and sharing is such an ancient ritual that far out dates their 'seed act' ,for some people NOT saving and sharing is anti-human!
Hopefully these jackholes like the taste of money, unless ive missed the point and they are growing that too.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

Just one more victory for Monsanto and any other agriculture giant wanting to monopolize food sources.

Patent a version of an already-existing product. Make any version of your product that isn't in your revenue stream illegal. We see this in so many industries that it's becoming harder and harder to believe that the general population isn't seeing this for what it is.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Well the libs are reaping what they sewed. PA being a Blue State and all.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 11:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: cosmicgypsy
a reply to: seeker1963 Their scare tactics lack the impressive quality they are trying to establish.How is it they can find and repremand the smallest efforts for survival?
Seed saving and sharing is such an ancient ritual that far out dates their 'seed act' ,for some people NOT saving and sharing is anti-human!
Hopefully these jackholes like the taste of money, unless ive missed the point and they are growing that too.

It's most definitely about not only the money, but also the uneducated consumer.

Company – 2007 Seed sales (US$ millions) % of global proprietary seed market
Monsanto (US) $4,964m 23%
DuPont (US) $3,300m 15%
Syngenta (Switzerland) $2,018m 9%
Groupe Limagrain (France) $1,226m 6%
Land O' Lakes (US) $917m 4%
KWS AG (Germany) $702m 3%
Bayer Crop Science (Germany) $524m 2%
Sakata (Japan) $396m

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Notice how the government puppet made the comment about "agri-terrorism"? Really? When I hear that term, Monsanto comes to mind INSTANTLY!

Couldn't agree more.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bilk22

Yea, but our current Republican governor sure as hell hasn't impressed me either! If you want to see a disgusting governors race with their mud throwing ads check out PA's!!!

Hell, I'll vote for someone from ANY OTHER party versus the two fine example we have in the current race.......

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Who was the President in 1984?

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 11:58 AM
link   
It must be a dangerous thing for people to have home grown tomatoes or other vegetables that they can grow themselves.
I guess if it doesn't say Monsanto on it people can't grow it.
I wonder how much they spent on the lawyers telling them they can't give seeds.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

Does it really matter at this point?

Even you and I should be able to come to the agreement that their is no separation by parties when it comes to Monsanto. Hell, Hillary used to be a lawyer for them! The Fed has been very non partisan when it comes to propping up Monsanto!

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 12:02 PM
link   

It seems that the 1984 law does not apply here, yet the current DoA is seeing fit to protect the likes of Monsanto and prevent people from providing their own sustainable systems.

That said, I have no doubt there are many from both sides of the aisle that are corrupted and doing the bidding for these large conglomerates.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 12:16 PM
link   

This was a over reach . even for the law its self.

interstate = 2 or more states

unless they were sending seeds out they should not have been under that law.

Second no buying occurred.

Humans have been trading and sharing seeds starts and tubers for thousands of years now we have pea brained politicians telling us we cant.

Its got to change quick too this crap is ridiculous.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 12:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

Does it really matter at this point?

Even you and I should be able to come to the agreement that their is no separation by parties when it comes to Monsanto. Hell, Hillary used to be a lawyer for them! The Fed has been very non partisan when it comes to propping up Monsanto!

I agree with you wholeheartedly. Both sides of the aisle are awash in Monsanto's corrupting influence and in my experience, disdain for Monsanto and their ilk is pretty common among most people, regardless of their partisan leanings.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 12:33 PM
link   
It seems to me the Federal Government for the United States of Monsanto just cannot allow anyone to do something meaningful or creative to help each other. By seeing recent events that includes this nonsense, the default response seems to be to regulate, interfere or intimidate into whatever the Feds want, whenever the mood strikes them to descend with the full weight they carry.

The states have almost become mere provinces. Where can one now live where a far distant group of idiots doesn't get into every local issue of interest just because they can?

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963 Wow,with those profits..imagine what that could do if it was put towards seed sowing,harvesting and sharing.
Now i understand nothing is that easy but it definitely should not be this hard. The truth is so overwhelming and as a consumer,i could use some serious educating.
As for seeds,i started being very picky about this rumour at the time of GMO.I began saving heirloom seeds before the GMOs became so deep.Im sure they are not even 100% due to moving to the city and its pollutants.
Now seed sharing on a corporate? scale and laws as these,just wrong, i can't wrap my head around it.
Thanks for responding. Feel free to educate me anyday i love to learn,just a little blondish at times.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 12:58 PM
link   
More over reach and non sense laws. what a bunch of b.s. You guys know the saying .Those who controls the food supply controls the people.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 02:11 PM
link   
I have said it countless times before on ATS: you only have those rights which you, yourself, are willing to secure.

If you want to trade seeds with other people, do it.

Don't ask to be free. Don't beg to be free. Just be free.
edit on 8/4/2014 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Eh, I see the concern the DoA has but they probably over reacted and likely wouldn't win in a court battle.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join