It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iraq offers air support to Kurdish fighters

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 09:12 AM
link   
www.bbc.com...

This may be a turning point for the Kurdish forces who have been mauled by ISIS of late......
They are counterattacking to regain some of the lost ground.....
If the Peshmerga cant hold these ISIS boys back it looks bad for the Iraqi army....
map of ISIS control....www.bbc.com...
edit on 4-8-2014 by stirling because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 09:26 AM
link   
a reply to: stirling

I just wonder how ISIS, who from what I gather only has 10K people, can hold so much ground without stretching thin themselves. I realize it is desert and there are wide open spaces there but still...

If Iraq can give air support and diminish the numbers if ISIS then more power to them. Good to see them stand up and attempt to defend the land there.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 09:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Terminal1
a reply to: stirling

I just wonder how ISIS, who from what I gather only has 10K people, can hold so much ground without stretching thin themselves. I realize it is desert and there are wide open spaces there but still...

If Iraq can give air support and diminish the numbers if ISIS then more power to them. Good to see them stand up and attempt to defend the land there.

They are using interior lines and the lack of coordination from their enemies to their advantage. When the Iraqi offensive in the South slowed and they started regrouping while waiting to be joined by Shia militias and new arms shippments from the US, ISIS took its forces and hit Assads force in Syria. They were completely unprepared because they had up to that point had a unofficial you dont bother us we wont bother you thing going on with ISIS while ISIS and Assads forces both pushed on the FSA. However, with things going south in Iraq, ISIS had to make sure Assad would not wait until the Iraqi offensive started again and then start hitting ISIS in Syria. So they hit him first, drove back his forces and took territory. And as Assads forces regrouped and took that territory back ISIS was sending its forced to hit the Kurds for the exact same reason they hit Assad. Then know a large Iraqi offensive is coming in the South so the hit their other enemies to put them off guard and keep them from also launching offensives when Iraq does. They are basicly spoiler attacks, ISIS knows they can not keep what they have taken from them but, that is not the point. They will retake the territory and then Assad and the Kurds will stop to re-supply and consalidate their positions.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Whoever is laying out the strategy for ISIS is doing a great job so far.......
The opposing forces, not so much....
But the forces of the Sunni extremists are also far outnumbered by the Shia and others who oppose them....
It should be a simple campaign to route these extremists if the opposition could get its act co ordinated ......

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 10:15 AM
link   
good with a little Air Support the Kurds should make gains against them.

If they work together Isis will be an after thought in 6 months.
edit on 4-8-2014 by Irishhaf because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 03:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: stirling
Whoever is laying out the strategy for ISIS is doing a great job so far.......
The opposing forces, not so much....
But the forces of the Sunni extremists are also far outnumbered by the Shia and others who oppose them....
It should be a simple campaign to route these extremists if the opposition could get its act co ordinated ......

ISIS key to success has been the Saddams former Baath party Generals and officers who teamed up with ISIS to topple what they sea as a Shia regime in Baghdad. This why ISIS suddenly went from a terrorist/guerrilla style operation to a more conventional one. Something the initial Iraqi forces were not expecting nor deployed to handle. However their have been some clashes between ISIS and the Sunnis and it seems to be getting worse. So they may not only end up losing the valuable leadership but, find themselves in full scale conflict with it.
edit on 4-8-2014 by MrSpad because: (no reason given)

top topics

join