It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Secret serum likely saved Ebola patients

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Three top secret, experimental vials stored at subzero temperatures were flown into Liberia last week in a last-ditch effort to save the American missionary workers who had contracted Ebola, according to a source familiar with details of the treatment.

A representative from the National Institutes of Health contacted Samaritan's Purse, the aid organization both Dr. Kent Brantly and Nancy Writebol worked for in Liberia, and offered up the experimental treatment, known as ZMapp, according to the source.

The drug was developed by the biotech firm Mapp Biopharmaceutical Inc. The patients were told that this treatment had never been tried before in a human being, but had shown promise in small experiments with monkeys.

Secret serum likely saved Ebola patients

Well this is interesting.

ZMapp, a top secret serum, was used in an effort to save the lives of American missionary workers who had contracted Ebola in Liberia. The patients were the first humans to receive the treatment, which had already proved successful in monkeys.

According to the article, some monkeys of whom were provided the treatment within a 24 - 48 hour time radius had survived Ebola. It will be interesting to see if these American workers ultimately survive as a result of the treatment.

As for the serum itself, hopefully it does prove successful. Even if it does prove successful, i wouldn't expect the USA to distribute it to the needy...Maybe i'm just being pessimistic...

edit on 4-8-2014 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 08:16 AM
link   
My question would be if the serum could be used as a preventative measure then. Also, if it saves them, is there any report on the monkeys it worked on not being hosts anymore, or do they continue to pass the virus on even though they are now not affected by it?

Also, is it only effective on one strain or does it somehow work across the board?

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 08:20 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Let's hope it works then

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 08:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

No idea, sorry. It would be interesting to find out, but i assume extra information would have been included, if it had been made aware to the authors.

Due to the above, i am willing to say that the authors are probably unaware themselves, of the answers to your questions.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 08:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: daaskapital

ZMapp, a top secret serum, was used in an effort to save the lives of American missionary workers who had contracted Ebola in Liberia. The patients were the first humans to receive the treatment, which had already proved successful in monkeys.

Yes.

They've been alluding for days now about a secret serum that Samaritan's Purse somehow got their hands on. We've discussed it some in the big Atlanta ebola thread.

However, it's been mainly in the context that as there was but a single dose (whether they meant left from a batch or simply at all) that the doctor gave up the dose up for the woman to have out.

The doctor was said to have gotten a blood transfusion from a survivor. So it hasn't sounded up to this point as if both Americans got this, as also stated in the article you linked, so I wouldn't say "patients" plural.

What would be interesting to know is whether they tried it on any African people at all, or if it was only when it was a connected American with some pull that they whipped this out.

From Aug 01: www.ibtimes.com...
edit on 8/4/2014 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 08:34 AM
link   
They should have flown the Sick Doctors and the CDC Doctors to a Naval boat. If the virus was not contained the boat could be sunk. No one else infected.

They were extremely stupid bringing the virus to Atlanta GA where Sixteen 16 lanes of traffic run up and down I-75. It makes me mad they did not allow the American public to vote on this.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 08:41 AM
link   
The Ebola problem has been simmering for a while, so it's no surprise people have been working on cures. That serum might be promising, but I'd imagine it's a fair way from being stable and manufacturable.

Hopefully the results of testing it for the first time on humans will help the scientist's efforts.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 08:56 AM
link   

If they are no longer infected by the virus, by definition they could not pass it on.

Assuming that the serum kills the virus... if all it does is abate the symptoms then that is a whole other ballgame.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 08:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: bbracken677

If they are no longer infected by the virus, by definition they could not pass it on.

Assuming that the serum kills the virus... if all it does is abate the symptoms then that is a whole other ballgame.

That is my concern....if it kills or just makes it non-harmful to the host. But again, is it only effective for one strain and how quickly will it adjust and not be affected anymore?

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 08:59 AM
link   
a reply to: frugal

First: this is not a direct democracy where people vote on everything (thank God).

Second: this virus, according to reports, is not airborne, but requires contact to spread. It's a body fluids thing...but I wonder about sneezing, since small droplets of body fluid is ejected by a sneeze.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 09:01 AM
link   

No idea at this point.

I am concerned that the victims were brought to the US, but I am more concerned about travelers leaving the infected zone. Seems a quarantine of the area would be logical.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 09:52 AM
link   
In case anyone else has the idea....unfortunately Mapp is a private company, so can't buy any stock in it. Damn.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 10:00 AM
link   
The were talking about him getting a serum on good morning America this morning.

It's not much of a secret if it's on the MSN

Just my thought

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 10:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: bbracken677
a reply to: frugal

First: this is not a direct democracy where people vote on everything (thank God).

Second: this virus, according to reports, is not airborne, but requires contact to spread. It's a body fluids thing...but I wonder about sneezing, since small droplets of body fluid is ejected by a sneeze.

Yes it can travel by sneezing, but depends on on how long the virus has had to work to figure out bad. The longer a person has it, the chance on spreading it goes up.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Well they cured ebola in 2010, Boston University but never made the mainstream media.

genome.fieldofscience.com...

I plan on making up some lipsomal C this week, and ordering the silver to make a batch of collodial silver up for family, because the silver bonds to the DNA structures of pathogens too!

And MMS ready to make for a big dose, would treat it like malaria.

I don't believe standing around waiting for their depopulation to take place is a good thing.

US government owns patent for ebola, and Monstanto and Defense is involved.

US ADMITS TO EBOLA "ATTACK" !!! SMOKING GUN!!!!!

I don't believe PTB would have released this if They Don't Have The Cure For Themselves!

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 10:24 AM
link   
a reply to: daaskapital

Before we crucify the company we need to be realistic about the disease. Its never been tested on people, just animals. Thats not something you take to the African continent and look for human test subjects. Secondly its not like this company can import the disease / people with the disease for experimentation either.

Could you imagine the media coverage where a US bio company goes to the African Continent to seek out people with Ebola to run experiments?

i can hear the conspiracy rumors now.. US bio company infects people with deadly virus in order to test vaccines.

Perception aside hopefully it works and hopefully it can help out in countries where this disease is common place.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 10:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Unity_99

Good God.. its an outbreak.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 10:36 AM
link   

S&F

Thx for sharing!

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 10:38 AM
link   
S&F
I saw this when I turned on the TV this morning. What a strange turn of events to this outbreak.
I'm wondering how much the secret serum will cost per dose.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join