It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK faces sperm shortage.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Sperm banks have seen a rapid decline in donors since anonymity was removed in 2005. Donors have been held liable for child support.

www.bbc.com...

I've always believed in the law of unintended consequences, that a law passed that may seem beneficial in the short run, has long term negative consequences. This is what we see in this case.

No wonder the UK has a shortage of sperm donors.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 08:15 AM
link   
ffs we are not endangered we are all so entitled it pisses me off

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 08:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: NavyDoc
Donors have been held liable for child support.

If that is true, that just leaves me speechless. Although there is no mention of this in the article you posted.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 08:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Clairaudience

If that is true, that just leaves me speechless. Although there is no mention of this in the article you posted.

Yes it is, 3rd bullet point down from the photo caption, with a link.

ETA: sorry to have misread your point. The link talks about removal of anonymity. The donors being held liable for child support come from other articles. Obviously that would be one of the concerns for someone who has had anonymity removed.
edit on 4-8-2014 by NavyDoc because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 08:19 AM
link   
They can have my splooge for a few quid, i dont mind.

Probably not the highest grade on the planet but if they want it, they can have it

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 08:21 AM
link   
I would have donated if they made sure it was anonymous but it isn't.
So I do door to door for my services

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 08:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Biigs
They can have my splooge for a few quid, i dont mind.

Probably not the highest grade on the planet but if they want it, they can have it

When I was a young man, detached to the UK for military reasons. I donated quite a bit of sperm to the local lasses.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 08:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74

why does being anonymous matter so much?

Is everyone worried about 100 kids showing up at their door wanting a daddy?

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 08:26 AM
link   
I'm surprised anyone is still willing to give at all. What idiot would even consider it now?

This used to be a high point for college kids. Who needs it in the sue-me society though? Graduate with student debt and the mother of all life bombs ready to drop like a giant turd on a brand new windshield any time, without any warning for the next 18 or more years?

Yeah, I can see why people are not lining up to help open the doors every morning. Even the traditionally high dollar reimbursement compared to a thing like Plasma donation is totally meaningless. How much today vs. 18 years of child support stemming from a purely blind donation?

Oh, but the states get more names to destroy in the name of helping the children in this evil enforcement system they have created, so nothing will change or even be considered.

By the way, this was reported heavily when it changed for the predicted devastation it was expected to result in for long term health to the artificial insemination and research industry.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Losing the anonymity and bringing liability in for child support was obviously going to cut the numbers of men donating sperm. I donated some once before the law was changed, I got £10 for expenses but I did it more for altruistic thoughts of helping some bloke who is shooting blanks but wants to raise a child.
Who the # would want to pay for a child they are never going to see, after donating sperm to a couple who apparently present themselves to a clinic as being able to afford to raise said child?

1st world problems yet again, it's not like the UK is suffering from a falling birth rate or something.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 08:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Biigs

Yup. I have already had the shock of finding out I have a teenage son and don't fancy another.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 08:33 AM
link   
a reply to: NavyDoc

Daddy!
You owe me lots of pocket money lol.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Yup. I have already had the shock of finding out I have a teenage son and don't fancy another.

wow thats a shock, but not the same as being a donor.

Why should people that help otherwise sterile male familys out if they get such abuse and social fallout over it.

Personally im strong enough to put up with it, which is why im okay with it. If i donated and years later a kid turns up, i would just say go away, blame your parents not me, i did them a favor, i owe you nothing, bother them.

I guess im just a cold human being, but hey, if it gives people the chance to have the kids they cant have on their own, is that not a blessing overall?

edit on b3939815 by Biigs because: damned spelling mistakes

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 08:38 AM
link   
liable for child support....W...T...F

no wonder no ones donating in the same numbers as before. that's the most asinine thing i've ever heard in my life. the whole reason people donate sperm to banks is to get a little quick cash. and the person who may receive the "sample" gets all of the relative nessacary info about the donor that would relate to medical history etc. but, for them to go a step further and say no, we're giving the recipient your name and they can squeeze child support out of you?! fu*k that noise.

these donors aren't lining up to be monetary fathers and if people can't afford to raise the child they wind up having from the donor's sperm on their own they shouldn't have had the kid to begin with.

if a women uses donated eggs to have a baby can they hold the female donor accountable for child support?
if you adopt a kid over there can you find the parents and hold them accountable for child support?

i would expect sperm banks to crash and plummet in the uk now.

just wait until the US starts shipping our donated sperm over there and US citizens start getting child support calls from the UK, lol

edit on 4-8-2014 by CallmeRaskolnikov because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Nah not cold just right.
I think iam to old now to donate (40) but I did hear that it is worth over a thousand bucks a ml.
Has anyone heard of any person getting done for child support after donating?.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Sperm banks have seen a rapid decline in donors since anonymity was removed in 2005. Donors have been held liable for child support.

www.bbc.com...

I've always believed in the law of unintended consequences, that a law passed that may seem beneficial in the short run, has long term negative consequences. This is what we see in this case.

No wonder the UK has a shortage of sperm donors.

Well, seems like the british have a lot of work on their hands.

...had to make that joke.

But it's quite a stupid law. Why would a donor be liable for child support? The only thing he is giving is DNA material. He is not making the love, he is not in anyway connected to the lady that wants the sperm, so why would he be liable?

Should organ donors also be liable for health-care bills? I mean, does my kidney being inside another person makes me responsible for the health of that person? Doesn't make sense.

It just seems stupid, unless I'm missing something.

Donations should always have the option of being anonymous, yet controlled by the institutions.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Eh, that would make you a Gigolo or a Man Whore.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 08:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Clairaudience

Yes it is very true, law changed couple of years ago. A lesbian couple asked their homosexual friend to be a sperm donor on the basis that he wouldn't be a father figure or responsible for future payments. The guy obliged........cut to a few years down the line and the lesbob couple decided that the father should in fact be responsible for child maintenance, took a test case and won - and the law was changed as a result.

Which frankly is a perfect indication of the law going completely mad...........

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Nah not cold just right.
I think iam to old now to donate (40) but I did hear that it is worth over a thousand bucks a ml.
Has anyone heard of any person getting done for child support after donating?.

i bloody hope not, thats messed up.

I cant even think of anything that compares, perhaps selling a car to some one and then when they get in a crash they blame you for it and want compensation?

Hell no.

Thats utter bullsnot, sold as seen, personal blame is gone the buy they buy it and i feel the same about a sperm donation.

Dont like it? dont do it, dont blame the guy trying to help/provide.

(obviously the same goes for woman who donate eggs for in vitro)

edit on b5454858 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 09:16 AM
link   
I almost sent my resume til I read this,

<<   2 >>

join