It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

438 Ukrainian troops escape to Russia

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 02:02 PM
link   
a reply to: maghun

Can this be corroborated by a non-state source? Nations have long staged "mass defections" to erode enemy morale.

edit on 4-8-2014 by DJW001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 02:03 PM
link   
It seems frontal units of Junta army are low on the ammo. That is why yesterday EU lifted the arms export ban on Ukraine.

These soldiers did well to run to neutral place rather be 'glorious dead' or held as POWs or worst killed as POWs. There have been gruesome reports of torture and killing of militia POWs by Ukraine's airmobile forces. That resulted in Strelkov issuing the order of not taking any 25th Air Mobile soldier alive i.e. killing them even if they surrender.

180 of 438 from today's desertion to Russia have decided to return via vans and APCs.

Most probably they will be sent back to the battlefield to provide theater enjoyment for the Oligarchs and Bankers around the world. Slavish Idiots !!

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 02:07 PM
link   
From what I can make out, what appears to have happened is that some Ukrainian soldiers got cut off and ran out of supplies and ammunition, close to the Russian border. Rather than surrender to the separatist miltia, they negotiated safe conduct across the border. Nearly half are already returning home to Ukraine, some have not yet decided what to do. Some may be concerned that they may be treated as cowards/deserters and, especially if they have family in Russia, I can quite understand why they might decide to stay there.

As per Russian TASS news agency:

en.itar-tass.com...

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 02:07 PM
link   
a reply to: DJW001

Hungarian or Arabic Euronews?

Több mint 400 ukrán katona a határ orosz oldalán

438جنديا أوكرانيا يعبرون “ممرا إنسانيا” إلى

A gukovói ellenőrzési ponttól nem messze sátortábort állítottak fel, ahol mind a 438 katonát elhelyezték. Várhatóan a Matvejev-Kurgan ellenőrzőpontnál juttatják őket vissza az ukrán oldalra.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 02:10 PM
link   

some canadian soldiers fled canada to USA because they dont want to follow Canadian goverment's order
a reply to: buntalanlucu

Until and unless it is a blatant invasion like Nazi on USSR in WWII..............I would refuse to follow ANY government's orders and run far away to a remote place and build both a shed and underground bunker.............till the time madness cools off !!

This is what I am going to do if this Ukraine mess leads the world to a bigger mess. I am no slave of 1% ers, Oligarchs and Bankers.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Thank you. All this really proves is that more reputable news agencies are willing to repeat the story. Nevertheless, I will accept that willingness to indicate a certain amount of trust that such an incident occurred, even though I mistrust the way the FSB has been reporting it.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 02:32 PM
link   
To be honest I don't care too much about the 400+ deserters/patriots and their reasons why they chose to cross the border, these people are there to fight and have more or less some form of protection. What I think we should care about is the actual people from that zone which are mentioned these days just in casualties numbers.
I feel that we care too much for the tactical moves these rebels make and too less about what those civilians in that zone have to eat and drink... imagine families , old people, sick people which are impoverished even without an active war.. what about them?
What I think Europe should do at the moment instead of playing with fire is to help those people by opening at least temporary the borders so anyone who wants to escape the conflict in EU could just take a bus or if they want to Russia to do the same... It is not fair to put all these people in a big house and set it on fire.
Sorry that I deviated from the subject but I just cannot watch anymore these news about all the chess moves and not count the civilian pieces that keep mounting on both sides of the board.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 02:35 PM
link   
a reply to: superfly4ever

My understanding is that most of the civilians fled quite some time ago.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Russia should not let these surrendering hordes back into Ukraine to fight again and bomb the civilian areas with indiscriminate attitude.

These surrendering guys should be given basic shelter and facilities to stay until the war ends. They can be put to some basic light work for 4-6 hours a day to pay for their shelter type expenses.

Russia opposes the ATO conducted by illegal Junta in Kiev and thus should not send these POWs back into the war zone.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 04:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: victor7
Russia should not let these surrendering hordes back into Ukraine to fight again and bomb the civilian areas with indiscriminate attitude.

These surrendering guys should be given basic shelter and facilities to stay until the war ends. They can be put to some basic light work for 4-6 hours a day to pay for their shelter type expenses.

Russia opposes the ATO conducted by illegal Junta in Kiev and thus should not send these POWs back into the war zone.

How can a nation keep prisoners of war if it is not at war? Or are you now, finally, admitting that Russia is at war with Ukraine?

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Russia is NOT at war but the concerns of civilians being bombed by these forces can justify that these POWs be held until the war is over.

No one is ill treating them, minimum basic Geneva convention facilities to be provided and in fact doing them a favor by not sending them back to the meat grinder to get their brains blown like pumpkins.

Happy vacationing guys !!

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 06:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: victor7

Russia is NOT at war but the concerns of civilians being bombed by these forces can justify that these POWs be held until the war is over.

No one is ill treating them, minimum basic Geneva convention facilities to be provided and in fact doing them a favor by not sending them back to the meat grinder to get their brains blown like pumpkins.

Happy vacationing guys !!

They are not POWs if Russia is not at war. Also, the reports do not state that they are being held, never mind under Geneva Convention standards. I thought he official story was that the ethnic Russians were being run through a meat grinder, not the Ukrainians.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 03:51 AM
link   

This is the "war of absurdity". The ukrainian military is murdering russian minority in East-Ukraine, the Russians are standing and watching it, and when the junta soldiers fled to Russia fearing for their life, they fed them and send them back to kill more ukrainian-russians.

What about the POWs captured by militia? They are given back to parents:

"We will pray for you!" - says the mother of captured soldier.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 03:57 AM
link   

What about the POWs captured by militia? They are given back to parents:

Staged. Here is what is really going on:

www.amnesty.org...

Ukrainian soldiers would rather take their chances crossing into Russia than surrender to vicious neo-Nazi separatists.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 12:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: DJW001

Ukrainian soldiers would rather take their chances crossing into Russia than surrender to vicious neo-Nazi separatists.

Which is exactly what appears to have happened. With nearly half immediately returning to Ukraine.

A report of the observer mission (OM) on August 4 said it received calls on August 1-2 “from officers of the 72nd mechanized infantry brigade who claimed that around 600 Ukrainian servicemen were surrounded by separatists and left without ammunition, fuel and food. According to them, negotiations with the separatists to open a passageway had failed”.

“The officers asked for the OM’s assistance in facilitating the transfer at the BCP and reached out to their leadership in the Ukrainian Ministry of Defense to accept this option,” it continued.

~ ~ ~

The report said that at 15:00 on August 4, 192 servicemen “were already on their way by bus to Ukraine”. The mission also said there had been no asylum requests.

en.itar-tass.com...

However, not everyone in Russia is happy that they are being allowed to do this

en.itar-tass.com...

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 12:59 PM
link   
a reply to: AndyMayhew

I have a feeling your post will go unnoticed because it just doesn't fit into the pro Russian side of thinking.

They want the Ukrainian army to just give in to the separatists, and this just shows they had a choice as to whether they stay or leave.

So in fact they actually didn't defect. Nice catch.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 01:03 PM
link   

However, not everyone in Russia is happy that they are being allowed to do this

Of course they aren't, but if Russia did not let them go back they would be showing involvement in Ukraine which they keep denying.

You can't have a POW if your not involved in a war. Also they have no reason for keeping them.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Staged. Here is what is really going on:

www.amnesty.org...

Here is a couple more articles discussing that problem...

www.kyivpost.com...

www.thejournal.ie...

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 01:06 PM
link   
a reply to: tsurfer2000h

Aye, and as it is from ITAR-TASS, they cant even claim mis-reporting by biased western media

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Aye, and as it is from ITAR-TASS, they cant even claim mis-reporting by biased western media

Ah, but the west can hack anything and make whatever they want to be said...Western propaganda man didn't you know?

I bet they try.

They actually think the west hacked some Russian soldiers phones and made it look like they were in Ukraine, so this would be nothing as the west is just that damn good at propaganda.

Or so pro Russian thinkers want you to believe that.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join