MEAT *gag*

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Good aged steak is extremely expensive in the UK, not sure exactly how it compares.

A nice thick steak will cost 40 bucks (equivalent price) quite easily. The cheap stuff is still pretty costly at probably around 10 bucks and it wont be a thick cut.

Id like to try kobe beef steak, i hear its actually been illegal in the states to import it for a while now. theres also wagyu beef, but that too is obscenely expensive so probably only going to be trying that once in my life.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 07:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Biigs
Id like to try kobe beef steak, i hear its actually been illegal in the states to import it for a while now.

I had it with some colleagues at Sushisamba in Vegas a few months ago.

It was great and the best part was we didn't have to pay for it.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 07:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: AutumnWitch657
I do have to add that it's pretty cool that your dentist has a McDonald's drive thru _ I love their fries though I prefer hardees burgers . Bigger juicer Angus beef.

Why is this doing that weird thing with the word window again. It inserts a dash instead of the word.

a reply to: canadiansenior70

I'm glad someone else caught that sentence structure. I was thinking whose dentist has a

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 07:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Id like to try kobe beef steak, i hear its actually been illegal in the states to import it for a while now.

I had it with some colleagues at Sushisamba in Vegas a few months ago.

It was great and the best part was we didn't have to pay for it.

word on the street (streets with steak houses anyway) that 99% of kobe beef in the US is called it but in fact not actual kobe beef.

Rumors are rumors though, so who knows for sure.

Only way to try the real stuff is to go to japan and get one, cooked by an authentic Japanese chef in my opinion, and Tokyo is DEFINITELY on my list of places to go before i die.

edit on b4949744 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 07:43 AM
link   
We made honey-brined fried chicken breast last night. OMG, good!

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 07:45 AM
link   

word on the street (streets with steak houses anyway) that 99% of kobe beef in the US is called it but in fact not actual kobe beef.

I think you may be correct. I just checked and it would appear to be American Wagyu.

Either way, it was damn tasty.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Same here. So many things have changed. The traditional chocolate Aero bar:

www.tartanthistle.com...

Used to have a good strong chocolaty taste, but now tastes all silky.

Our local supermarkets sell these processed meat burgers some time ago. For a while, they would meld themselves to the cooking surface and you would have to peel them off. Turned out there was horse meat in them.

Minced beef tastes different depending on which supermarket you buy it from. The more expensive packages have the more traditional taste.

Fish fingers used to be nice fluffy white fish in a thin layer of batter, but now they have become this dark gray goo surrounded by a half inch of batter.

Fruit and vegetables still taste the same. But sliced meat just has so many additives now, it doesn't taste the same.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 07:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: stormcell
Same here. So many things have changed. The traditional chocolate Aero bar:

www.tartanthistle.com...

Used to have a good strong chocolaty taste, but now tastes all silky.

Our local supermarkets sell these processed meat burgers some time ago. For a while, they would meld themselves to the cooking surface and you would have to peel them off. Turned out there was horse meat in them.

Minced beef tastes different depending on which supermarket you buy it from. The more expensive packages have the more traditional taste.

Fish fingers used to be nice fluffy white fish in a thin layer of batter, but now they have become this dark gray goo surrounded by a half inch of batter.

Fruit and vegetables still taste the same. But sliced meat just has so many additives now, it doesn't taste the same.

with the mince, its all about how much fat they leave in, cheap mince has loads of fat left in it to bulk it out.

really good lean mince makes the best burgers, but they have to leave a bit of the fat or it wont cook right and will break up.

when i make my own i usually use some egg white to help it all stick together, supermarkets cant do that or the shelf life falls dramatically, thats why they use other crap and why burgers from macdonalds taste like grey garbage.

If the meat i use isnt decent top shelf stuff, i tend to go for alot more pepper - peppered steaks or burgers are still great but you have a lot more room to move (just masking the taste with alot of other flavor)

edit on b0101829 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 08:04 AM
link   
While humans are capable of processing meat, it is certainly not the ideal food for us( hence the mountain of scientific data linking it to a near-endless list of diseases). If you stop eating it for a period of time, you might find it inherently disgusting to come back to. The effect is more common with dairy, but the same principle applies.

Since the body responds much better to fruits and vegetables(hence the mountain of scientific data linking it to a reversal of those same diseases alluded to above), along with it being a vastly more ethical lifestyle, it's easy to see why one would have trouble returning to an inferior lifestyle.

Just because everyone eats meat, that doesn't make it right. Stepping back far enough to see this issue with a degree of objectivity is very difficult. But once done, there truly is no going back. Most vegans don't even do that.
edit on 8 4 2014 by Son of Will because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 08:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Son of Will

You arnt wrong.

Dairy is certainly not really that good for you, yes it has some good stuff in it, but processing it is awkward for the human body. babys drink milk from their mothers for a reason, its not the same as cow milk.

Meat eating is a weird one, naturally we arnt meant to eat meat - this is quite simple to observe by our teeth. If we were meant to eat animals as a natural thing, our teeth would be sharp and pointy like all the other carnivores. i think we only got the "k9" tooth because we started to change our diets some time ago - but our bodys have not caught up quite yet.

i think animal hunting only even came about because of winter desperation and our increasing intelligence to do so.

But meat is delicious and im not going to stop while its available.

edit on b1212844 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Well, first of all, meat is more of a rubber than a plastic. our bodies get used to eating it. When you start eating a lot of veggies, it changes your gut flora and those microbes can take care of getting necessary stuff out of veggies. But not all people can support these microbes, they have antigens against some of the types of bacteria and fungus. They need to eat meat.

The commercial beef is fed food that changes the flora of the cows rumen, unbalancing it from it's normal state. The desired tender beef from the feeding of corn is because the elastin fiber protein forming microbes are not present in an adequate amount. The ALA does not form properly either with amounts severly reduced.

Now with pork, they put a certain microbe in the feed to break the mash down and this forms an antibiotic which helps the pig grow faster. The meat has less taste to it now than it used to.

Fruit flies won't go near most of the fruit in our house, instead they try to drink my coffee and drown in it. If I get fruit from outside, they come out of the woodwork hovering around. They don't even like some organic fruits, they are still treated but utilize organic chemicals which are just as bad sometimes.

Don't assume that eating vegetarian is better for you unless you know who grows it. The chemicals they spray on veggies can cause problems with health too. They say that a few drops of food grade hydrogen peroxide in water will neutralize many of these chemicals. I can't find food grade stuff around here though.

I was surprised how good organic iceberg lettuce tastes, it is not bitter like the commercial stuff in the store. The only problem, we ate the whole head in one sitting. Everyone liked it so much we all went back for more.....and it disappeared. It costs double of what regular lettuce does though.

In the last twenty years, the flavor of most foods has changed. The stores expanded their selection so more preserving chemistry is needed to lessen waste. Now you have to add lots of spices to commercial beef or pork to make it taste good.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 08:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
The meat has less taste to it now than it used to.

This certainly true.

Its only going to get worse as the farming companys try to make more money from selling more weight.

This is why kobe beef and such prime meat is so damned expensive and getting more expensive.

edit on b3434826 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Meat eating is a weird one, naturally we arnt meant to eat meat - this is quite simple to observe by our teeth.

I disagree. Human physiology shows that our digestive tracts are, at 8 to 1 ratio to body length, in between those of carnivores 3 or 4 to 1 and herbivores at 12-20 to 1.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 10:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: network dude
You really need to get out of Jersey.
I'm mad when I have to pay full price for a steak. ($12 a pound) It's usually on sale for $7-$8 a pound.

Other than the taxes I like it here. Being 15 minutes from NYC has its perks.

The cuts I usually buy are aged for a minimum of 28 days, is this the same as what you are referring to?

No, but the ribeyes I get and cook on the weber sure do taste good. I like an aged steak too, we just don't have that kind of availability in the big city of Dunn.

You need to get away from that den of sin you are in. All that damn beer and liquor is EVIL! I'll have to get one of the resident holy rollers to smite you.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 10:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
You need to get away from that den of sin you are in. All that damn beer and liquor is EVIL! I'll have to get one of the resident holy rollers to smite you.

We have them too. Every Sunday without fail some person expresses concern for my soul.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 12:25 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I sure haven't noticed this. I had sirloin one night and bone in thick porkchops the other this weekend. Just your basic grocery store cuts. I get them out of the fridge while i'm getting the grill ready. Season both sides with Montreal steak seasoning and let sit for a good 30 minutes. When the grill's hot, add some kosher salt to both sides and throw them on and cook to medium rare for beef, or medium for pork. I do cook the pork at a lower temp, but not to the point they're beyond medium.

Add a pat of compound butter you create, and I know I can't get a better meal at any restaurant in town, regardless of the price.

I do the occasional splurge and get porterhouse or bone in ribeye (not often), but sirloin turns out pretty spectacularly when seasoned and cooked properly.

I also like a pre meal dirty Beefeater martini or a couple of ales (something dark, preferably) so that might help too.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 01:26 PM
link   
(preferably a day before salt and pepper it and wrap it in film) take out the fridge an hour before, hot pan, tiny bit of oil, change sides every minute or two - slice a bit off to check how its doing - cook till done how you like it.

awwwww yeah!!!! thanks how to ace a steak in my opinion

and make sure that pan is HOT first!!!!

edit on b3030148 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 03:38 PM
link   
a reply to: canadiansenior70

Hi!

I sent you an IM.
You were on my mind today & then I saw your thread!

You are right! Nothing tastes like it used to!
Meat, veggies, fruit!
And it's impossible to get the fruit to ripen right!
Everything is engineered to look pretty,
& hold up for shipping, but no taste left at all!

I gave up on buying most fruit from the store in the winter.
We try to get all our fresh stuff from the farmer's markets in our county.
What a difference in taste! They are open less than four months though,
& not much available yet in the first month.

I almost cried because I thought I had missed strawberry season!
Luckily, they brought the end of the berries to the farmer's market!
Every year I can't wait for them to be in season! What a difference!

I used to buy the hard, green fruit at the store,
& sit it on the counter to wait for it to ripen.
I waited & waited...then overnight it would spoil,
without ever getting ripe!
Our son-in-law referred to it as 'the compost pile'!

Our kids are too young to remember how 'real' food tasted!

We usually buy our beef from a local farmer.
Grass fed, organic, free range & aged.
$4 a pound, plus processing & wrapping.
It has a totally different taste.
Our kids didn't like it!

He also sells at the farmers market.
Got a chicken once, it came to $12!
It was really good though!
It was a nice size, but that's pricey!

When we picked up our side of beef in the fall,
I had ordered a turkey for Thanksgiving too.
I never thought to ask the price! 'Face palm'!!!
It was almost $40! It was delicious though!

And it made the best gravy I ever saw!
No grease floating on top of the drippings at all!
Moist & tender, without being injected with 'junk',
like most of the store turkeys!

Now that the kids are grown & gone,
hubby & I could probably make enough meals out of a chicken,
with leftovers & soup, to justify the difference in price!

I miss 'real' apple cider too.
The stuff now that's pasteurized,
& has preservatives added,
made me sick both times that I tried it!
Someone said orchards still sell the good stuff,
but there aren't any close to us!
If there was ever a good apple year here,
I might be tempted to try making my own!

Most people don't know what they are missing now!
WOQ

edit on 4-8-2014 by wasobservingquietly because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: wasobservingquietly

Thanks for the IM, but I don't have one. Weird. Somewhere along the line this site became very difficult to manoever. I used to be able to upload pictures, etc., send IMs and now I just read posts.

Any hints as to where your message might be?

Thanks ;0)
CS70

edit on 5-8-2014 by canadiansenior70 because: spell

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Rule of thumb when it comes to meat. Know how the animal died. This seriously affects the taste.

Stay away from factory famed meats period.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join