It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MEAT *gag*

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 03:50 AM
link   
I have been reading, studying etc on meat and the various suppliers of Fast Foods. I watched a number of videos, over the years and I found that it was all affecting me in a negative way.

One day at the dentist’s I went through McDonald’s drive thru, purchased a Big Mac (a one time favourite) It didn’t even taste like meat and I couldn’t finish it---nothing to do with dental work---I had to throw it away.

This was a bit after a car had run me down and left me with much healing to do. Any affect from that? I doubt it.

I had a therapist (Rehab Assistant) and she is now a vegan but only partly there, with me and my testing. She cooks vegetarian meals for her clients (who need the help) and included me, (I pay for them) and for quite some time have been vegetarian and not missing meat.

I still watch shows, and then comes the time when one might say to oneself, “I’m being hornswoggled about phony meat” so my helper was asked to bring me a T-bone steak and a juicy pork chop, with the rest of my groceries.

The T-bone was large, 2” thick, $14.79 and I ate it in 3 sessions. It was palatable but was weird the way the meat came off the bone…..as though it has been glued there string of meat by string of meat. I determined that my whole life had changed as there would never ever be another T-bone in my life. Was this chewable plastic?

I had the same result when I popped the 2” thick pork chop into the frying pan. It as well (I didn’t mention for the T-bone) was cooked through in FAR less time than I had experienced some 10+ years ago.

I began to eat and was almost sick from what I was tasting in respect to the pork I once ate. I threw that out and have another in my freezer. Yuck!

I am no expert on what is going on, but I do know my taste buds. What I have written is the truth and I will bypass the fresh meat section anytime I am in the store, but luckily I have my shopper, and she buys only what I write on the list.

Anyone else experience this change in about last 10 or less years?

edit on 4-8-2014 by canadiansenior70 because: spell

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 04:02 AM
link   
a reply to: canadiansenior70

Only meat?

Fruits and vegetables taste nothing like they used to either.

If it's not gassed, dowsed, zapped, or injected, I don't think they'll sell it as food anymore.

Just sayin'

edit on 4-8-2014 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 04:14 AM
link   

If you eat crap meat, you are not going to enjoy meat.
I'm just not sure what to tell you, but eating McDonalds and then some clearly cheap meat bought from the supermarket is not going to woo anyone.

If you ever decide you want to try real meat, I suggest finding a hunter or a farmer. Real organic beef, pork, venison, buffalo, all are amazing when it is prepared and cooked properly.

Please don't use McDonalds as an example for food though

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 04:56 AM
link   
Heavens no! I'm a total carnivore. Your two inch thick t bone had my mouth watering. Yummmmmm. I look at it this say. My mouth has molars for grinding grains and plant material. It has incisors for cutting and those sharp canines for tearing meat. If my mouth is thus equipped it must mean that those are the things I'm supposed to eat.
Your discription was kind of disgusting. I think you've talked yourself into this feeling. That's the way these things work. If you continually think about a certain food as being disgusting you'll never be able to get it past your mouth.
Anyway good luck with your choices. There are other sources of protein besides meat. Though none as good. My son is a vegetarian. He's very skinny and pale looking to me but he's 31 years old and its his choice.
edit on AMu31u0883256312014-08-04T04:56:48-05:00 by AutumnWitch657 because: (no reason given)

edit on AMu31u0883257312014-08-04T04:57:28-05:00 by AutumnWitch657 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 05:08 AM
link   
$14.79 isn't exactly cheap meat. Where else are people supposed to get food other than a supermarket. Raise cattle in their back yard? Eat at restaurants every meal? And if you learn how to cook even an inexpensive cut of beef can be made tasty. I made a pot roast on Friday that cooked for a few hours at a low temp and it was tender and full of flavor from the carrots, onions and potatoes that cooked with it. It was gone by the next day. We eat a lot of chicken. I also do a large pork roast at 250° for about 12 hours. It falls off the bone and melts in your mouth. This I cook in our smoker without using wood chips so it's not really smoked just cooked low and slow as they say on the food network. It's all in the hands if the cook. I love to cook and because I do love it I'm very good at it. reply to: ThinkingCap

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 05:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: ThinkingCap

If you eat crap meat, you are not going to enjoy meat.
I'm just not sure what to tell you, but eating McDonalds and then some clearly cheap meat bought from the supermarket is not going to woo anyone.

If you ever decide you want to try real meat, I suggest finding a hunter or a farmer. Real organic beef, pork, venison, buffalo, all are amazing when it is prepared and cooked properly.

Please don't use McDonalds as an example for food though

I live in a rural area in New Zealand and we often have a beast slaughtered (we call it 'homekill'). Thing is, they still don't taste like I remember when I was a child.

I think that aging takes the edge off our taste, our sense of smell & our eyesight & not much can be done about it.

That being said, you can buy stuff that looks great but seems to be largely tasteless (except for the 'marinade' flavor). The actual meat seems too soft and doesn't have any blood vessels or sinews (a sure sign that it isn't a slab of muscle cut from an animals carcass).

(Meat glue [transglutaminase] + mechanically recovered meat paste + soy based flavoring/coloring then mix and let solidify in a plastic bag/tube = supermarket scotch fillet).

edit on 4/8/2014 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 05:31 AM
link   
I do have to add that it's pretty cool that your dentist has a McDonald's drive thru window. I love their fries though I prefer hardees burgers . Bigger juicer Angus beef.

Why is this doing that weird thing with the word window again. It inserts a dash instead of the word.

edit on AMu31u0883232312014-08-04T05:32:12-05:00 by AutumnWitch657 because: (no reason given)

edit on AMu31u0883233312014-08-04T05:33:52-05:00 by AutumnWitch657 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 05:36 AM
link   
Didn't they serve roast beast in whoville. The town in how the Grinch stole Christmas. Maybe you guys don't know Dr. Suesse down under. I don't know. a reply to: chr0naut

edit on AMu31u0883237312014-08-04T05:37:11-05:00 by AutumnWitch657 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 06:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: AutumnWitch657
$14.79 isn't exactly cheap meat. Where else are people supposed to get food other than a supermarket. Raise cattle in their back yard? Eat at restaurants every meal?

That does sound very inexpensive for the cut in my opinion. A typical organic, dry aged, 3" thick porterhouse is going to set me back around $40.

Well worth it since the same cut in a steak house would be over $100.

edit on 4-8-2014 by AugustusMasonicus because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 06:44 AM
link   
meat is bred "faster" now, they have been specially bred togther for generation after generation of animal to produce the quickest growing, largest animals possible.

Does it cook different? I have only been cooking for a few years so i couldnt say for sure, but it certainly would not surprise me at all to find current meat has less density to size ratio - theres also a good reason good beef tastes better when its been aged and not fresh.

Have things changed? probably, its how its GOING to change thats my worry. Right now its not that bad if you go to a good butcher, but the crap they use at MacDonald's is just not even fair to compare to a home made mince patty, not even close to the same taste. - MacDonald's burger use cheese and sauce to cover the taste of their bland grey meat mush.

edit on b4545629 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 06:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Biigs
...but the crap they use at MacDonald's is just not even fair to compare to a home made mince patty...

I do not purchase pre-ground beef or other meat. I have the grinding attachment for my Kitchen Aid and use this to grind my own blends. It allows you to use as much or as little fat as you want and add additional spices or flavorings.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 06:59 AM
link   
That kind of meat is only available in restaurants here. You can't buy prime in the grocery store. $40.00 is ridiculous for a steak. Really. No matter how much money you have to spend on food. a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 07:01 AM
link   
I'm asking Santa to bring me that attachment for my kitchen aid this year. The mixer on my kitchen counter classes up the whole kitchen. a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 07:02 AM
link   

That kind of meat is only available in restaurants here. You can't buy prime in the grocery store. $40.00 is ridiculous for a steak. Really. No matter how much money you have to spend on food.

I can feed four people with that or make dinner for my wife and I and then have enough left over for steak and eggs the next day (plus some extra for the doggies).

I don't often eat beef (maybe once a month) but when I do I want the best piece available.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Anything you have to cook and "season" in order to get past the pallet can't be the be all.

I finally realized this again last week. I bought some 99% cowburger patties from TJ's and they sat like a dull lump in my guts every time I ate one.

This week I got the turkey burger and MMM, MMM…

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 07:06 AM
link   

I'm asking Santa to bring me that attachment for my kitchen aid this year. The mixer on my kitchen counter classes up the whole kitchen.

Very much worth it. Do you have the pasta attachments? The ice cream maker is also great.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 07:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
Anything you have to cook and "season" in order to get past the pallet can't be the be all.

When you say 'season' what exactly are you referring to?

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 07:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

I'm asking Santa to bring me that attachment for my kitchen aid this year. The mixer on my kitchen counter classes up the whole kitchen.

Very much worth it. Do you have the pasta attachments? The ice cream maker is also great.

I would love to be able to make my own pasta.

I visited a friends house a few years ago that had their own pasta press/machine, they made us a simple ham and cheese tagliatelle meal and it was divine. And as much as would love my own, i dont have the culinary magic yet to make it all from scratch.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 07:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
A typical organic, dry aged, 3" thick porterhouse is going to set me back around $40.

You really need to get out of Jersey.
I'm mad when I have to pay full price for a steak. ($12 a pound) It's usually on sale for $7-$8 a pound.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 07:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
You really need to get out of Jersey.
I'm mad when I have to pay full price for a steak. ($12 a pound) It's usually on sale for $7-$8 a pound.

Other than the taxes I like it here. Being 15 minutes from NYC has its perks.

The cuts I usually buy are aged for a minimum of 28 days, is this the same as what you are referring to?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join