It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Cigarette Butt Ecological Nightmare Problem - What it is, and what to do and not to do about it.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 11:50 AM
link   
a reply to: TiredofControlFreaks

It's considered public when its open to anyone...

it's considered private when it's "members only" and people usually pay due's in order to be members.

This is no matter who owns it.

Here I do agree with you, however, that individual owner's should be able to decide what things - which are legal - are allowed in their place of businesses... and let the patron's decide with their dollars what they want. But this is why I am 100% against all this "special interest lobbying" across the board. I think its an abomination and I think we need to concentrate on LESS government not more....

It certainly doesn't mean I'm going to start my own special interest group or act like a child!

edit on 4-8-2014 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 11:53 AM
link   

I pay horrendous taxes every year to have those cleaned up!

Those what? Streets? They don't just clean cig butts, they merely clean the streets. You think that's a bad thing, or useless spending?...

I would have a lot more respect if you voted not to accept tax dollars from tobacco or smokers

Smoking isn't a vital need. You do it because you want to, and because you can afford it.

on the grounds that it is, afterall, blood money!

The blood money is on the tobacco companies bank accounts, and continues to grow despite the taxes. They have been making some sweet bucks out of people's misery and addiction.

One thing is to make cigarettes and them being bad for health. But making cigarettes as addictive as possible, and then even having kids targeted in advertising campaigns? Or adding toxins to the product knowingly?

Or paying smear campaigns that spread BS so that for 40 years tobacco companies were almost undisputed in their activities?

They deserve to be taxed.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: VashKonnor

I don't think so ANTI

Could ahead post all the epidimiological studies you like but before you do, please use science to explain the following.

After the second world war, when 70 % of all men smoked and about 35 % of woman, the baby boomers were born.
The boomers were and are the longest lived and healthiest generation the world has ever seen. Now its true that we had the advantages of chlorinated water, sewage management, good food, antibiotics and vacinations.

BUT SO DID THE FOLLOWING GENERATIONS - and it is the following generation that ended up with asthma and allergies as well as increased rates of autism. This is the generation that was born as the smoking rate that was decreasing.

And if you can't tell the difference between the effect of several logs burning in a fireplace as compared to the burning of 19 grams of dried leaves....you ain't intelligent enough to debate a kindergarden drop out! (ps - how come the chimney doesn't work to remove the smoke generated by 19 grams of dried leaves but can remove the smoke of 5 or 6 pounds of burning wood)

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: OpinionatedB

really! That's your definition? So if I buy a house and then decide to sell it and hold an open house where members of the public can attend - does that make my house a private home or public property.

What you may consider to be private or public is irrelevant - whose name is on the mortgage and who is the property register to?

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 12:06 PM
link   

I don't think so ANTI

My name is Vash. Although Antti is also a Finnish name!

After the second world war, when 70 % of all men smoked and about 35 % of woman, the baby boomers were born.

Great times.

Did you know that the "Marlboro man" was made up to make the brand more manly, because back in the day only women smocked Marlboro's? Just a fun fact.

The boomers were and are the longest lived and healthiest generation the world has ever seen.

No.

Those live in Okinawa. And after Okinawa there are a hell lot of more communities before you even reach the american baby boomers.

BUT SO DID THE FOLLOWING GENERATIONS - and it is the following generation that ended up with asthma and allergies as well as increased rates of autism.

Yes, because baby boomers had so much respect for the environment, that most environmental laws came into existence in the late 80's and early 90's.

The reason why so many people today still suffer from those diseases and conditions is exactly because previous generations did things like... smoking!

Smoking in the 1930's wasn't the same as it is today.

Back then it was tobacco rolled on a piece of paper, sold in a pack.

Today it's a refined product aimed at making people addicted from the first cigarette, in order to make money.

Smoking makes you smell awful, look awful, and causes severe health problems. The only reason people do it's because they are addicted to it. Period. It's a known fact...

And if you can't tell the difference between the effect of several logs burning in a fireplace as compared to the burning of 19 grams of dried leaves...

Go out, buy a log.

Smoke it.

Then come back and tell me how good you feel.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 12:07 PM
link   

No you aren't going to become an activist or even do something as simple as get mad - you are going to sit back on your ass while your government denies you even the simple basics required for human survival (shelter from extremes of elements).

You are going to curse lobbists and adjust and try to survive without dignity or respect and tell yourself that everything is ok because you are a 'good person" (meaning you are politically correct).

You will keep your head down and murmur how you are thinking of quitting soon to anyone that asks and hope that the bullies will just go away

you have fun with that!

Tired of Control Freaks.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   

I'm a smoker, a heavy smoker at that. I have been smoking for almost 30 years now, and I am so addicted its unreal. I have no one else but myself to blame seriously, because I started smoking as a kid because I read they stunted your growth and I was so tall I didn't want to get any taller... lol

Now, I am going to try to quit because I cannot breathe anymore. I moved up into the mountains where the air is thinner, and I can barely do housework because I cannot breathe. That is from 30 years of smoking.

They did advertise smoking when I was a kid, it was"cool" to be the marlboro man. It was known by then it was bad for your health, but just in the beginning stages of knowing I think...

It's bad for you, but if I wasn't addicted, and I mean addicted just like a crack addict is addicted, I would have quit years ago. The companies do put stuff in their cigarettes to make that addiction stick too! I was talking to someone else who was a years long marlboro smoker, and we both noted that it is specifically marlboro (or moreso than anything else) that we were addicted to. We can change brands for a bit, but whenever we do getting a marlboro after a while without was like relief of the addiction in a way other cigarettes weren't.

And whatever they put in cigarettes now to make them go out if you quit puffing? That is WHEN I developed asthma, whatever the heck that is is toxic as all get out, yet I have been so addicted that I have been unable to quit. Which is sad really.

This Friday I'll be getting on the e cigarettes to see how that goes for me - because quite frankly, the way I feel after smoking for this long... it's ALL bad!

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 12:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: TiredofControlFreaks
(ps - how come the chimney doesn't work to remove the smoke generated by 19 grams of dried leaves but can remove the smoke of 5 or 6 pounds of burning wood)

Tired of Control Freaks

Because when you smoke, the smoke comes out of your mouth into the air...

...and in the fireplace, the fire is right below the chimney?

I thought that was pretty obvious.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 12:12 PM
link   

ANTI - is the name I give to puritans, who believe that they have the god given right to impose themselves on other people. I will call you Anti.

No the men at Okinawa were rightly called the "greatest generation" - these are the men who fought in the war - while smoking tobacco I might add. Those men who smoked - who should have been infertile and impotent from smoking - were the ones who came home from the war and managed to give birth to the baby boomers along with their smoking, infertile wives.

You have not given any proof what so ever that environmental issues caused the increase in asthma, allergies and autism. Your "belief" is insufficient.

I have smoked many many logs - its called "sitting around a camp fire"

And you still can't tell the difference between burning a log and burning 19 grams of dried leaves?

Tired of control Freaks

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 12:17 PM
link   

And do you believe that the air that goes up the chimney with the smoke is not replaced by circulating room air? Oh no that can't be right! It must be that a vacuum is created when the air and smoke rise up the chimney. Oh wait - lets work this out the anti-smoker way.

It must be that tobacco smoke is different than any other kind of smoke ever created in this planet and behaves in accordance with totally different laws of physics. Quick - get some funding and use a couple of million to create the scientific proof that SHS can resist the movement of air and stick around for the specific purpose of attacking innocent non-smokers.

SHS is an intelligent entity!

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   

I'm a smoker, a heavy smoker at that. I have been smoking for almost 30 years now, and I am so addicted its unreal. I have no one else but myself to blame seriously, because I started smoking as a kid because I read they stunted your growth and I was so tall I didn't want to get any taller... lol

I started because other kids did it, so it's really not worth trying to make other people responsible for something I did, tasted horrible, but I still did it because it was cool.

But then life moves on, and we are stuck to this addiction. I know.

It's actually frustrating how something you know it's bad can feel good after such time doing it.

I felt horrible when a girlfriend of mine noticed how I was almost unable to enjoy a nice meal unless I had a smoke afterwards. Same for sex.

I was talking to someone else who was a years long marlboro smoker, and we both noted that it is specifically marlboro (or moreso than anything else) that we were addicted to. We can change brands for a bit, but whenever we do getting a marlboro after a while without was like relief of the addiction in a way other cigarettes weren't.

Yes! In my case I'm used to low levels of nicotine, like with the "light" brands.

I smoke the Black Lucky Strike, but if I smoke a Marlboro - because they don't have your brand but you still want to smoke, right? - I feel kinda light-headed and sometimes even sick, because I'm not used to so much nicotine from one single cigarette.

This Friday I'll be getting on the e cigarettes to see how that goes for me - because quite frankly, the way I feel after smoking for this long... it's ALL bad!

This thread gave me an idea.

I did try out those e-cigs, and I'm making a thread about my experience with them, along with some advices that I know work. I can PM you afterwards if you want to.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 12:29 PM
link   

I hate to be one to tell you this....I really do. But smokers breathe better at high altitudes than non-smokers. No one really knows why. If you can't breathe in the high altitude as a smoker - you ain't gonna do better as a non-smoker.

www.altituderesearch.org...

This is just a general knowledge article about mountain sickness.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

This is a peer-reviewed study on how smoking improves performance, especially at high altitudes

Tired of Control Freaks

Cigarette smoking has been shown to increase serum hemoglobin and hematocrit levels, increase lung volume and stimulate weight loss — characteristics all known to enhance performance in endurance sports. This paper will discuss the potential benefits of cigarette smoking to endurance performance and make recommendations as to how individuals and national bodies could effectively integrate this practice into high-performance training programs.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Yeah seriously PM me on that...

I started this thread yesterday morning asking advice:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

And this morning after I considered everything everyone said, purchased a e cig starter kit and some e-juice to go with it.

I am still open to any and all advice on all this though... all I know is I'm quitting smoking... somehow!

On Topic:

Don't litter!

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 12:33 PM
link   

lol....

as a smoker who JUST moved to high altitude... those "articles" are complete BS. I breathed a LOT better before I moved here.

And even my husband who was raised here... he purchased chew on this way up the mountain, so he had it when he got here. You cannot smoke up here... not and breathe.

Now that he's been chewing instead of smoking for a week and a half... he is just now breathing a bit better up here...

On Topic:

Don't litter!

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 12:39 PM
link   

ANTI - is the name I give to puritans, who believe that they have the god given right to impose themselves on other people. I will call you Anti.

And I will call you "puppipants", because I think puppipants is a funny word.

No the men at Okinawa were rightly called the "greatest generation" - these are the men who fought in the war - while smoking tobacco I might add.

A lot of men fight in wars. That doesn't give you a special status.

Those men who smoked - who should have been infertile and impotent from smoking - were the ones who came home from the war and managed to give birth to the baby boomers along with their smoking, infertile wives.

You don't get it, do you?

Smoking isn't something that turns off swtiches in your body from one day to another. It's effects take time to settle in, and science has proven that toxins that are present in people who smoke can, and will, cause health problems.

How you are still questioning a fact that has been proven by science time and time again, I do not know.

Again, you can do experiments on your own. Want a fun and simple one? Open up the butt of the cigarette you just smoked. Take apart the fluffy part.

See that brown stuff? That's bad for you. And that's the stuff that goes into you, and causes things like tooth decay and lung cancer. Other people never get lung cancer but have skin cancer.

Depends on the person, but all can be linked to smoking. Smoking doesn't cause these diseases, it just dramatically increases the chances of getting them.

You have not given any proof what so ever that environmental issues caused the increase in asthma, allergies and autism.

You seem to be very oblivious as to how and why environment laws affect your quality in life.

By your logic, we should still be using lead additives in gasoline and other fuels.

I have smoked many many logs - its called "sitting around a camp fire"

Maybe the fact that you were in an open space is the reason why you are still alive then?

And you still can't tell the difference between burning a log and burning 19 grams of dried leaves?

One is natural and only produces smoke that is then evacuated through the chimney.

The second is a product compromised of a whole range of substances that include things like pure nicotine and tarmac (the same stuff they use to pave roads). And it doesn't exit through a chimney. The only way to clean the air in a room where people smoke, is through forced ventilation.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Well this was one fro December that nearly burned my cousins house down:
www.watoday.com.au...

On a slightly related note his father, my uncle, also managed to burn a house down in the 70's from a lit cigarette. I dont think that article is on the web but I know it was published because we still have the clipping.

In addition to that I have been a volunteer fire-fighter and I know that just about every roadside fire we have to put out is caused by someone flicking their butt.

Dont patronise me with your false claims of discrimination, I smoke too and this is not some human rights issue because as stated earlier by another poster: Your rights end where the other persons rights begin.

You burning down peoples houses just because you feel too privileged to walk 5 steps to dispose of your ciggie is not a right, its ignoring the rights of others who dont want their house burned down.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Over 22,000 fires are caused directly related to smoking (page 12; page 18 of the PDF)

from DoH

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 01:19 PM
link   
a reply to: RifRAAF

And were these people drinking when they managed to burn a house down?

Tired of control freaks

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: RifRAAF

I read the article - but it doesn't exactly say what caused the fire now does it?

Also - your link to the Department of Health Simon Chapman paper - please - I have smoked all my life and I never started a fire. With all the fire-retardant chemicals in all our bedding and clothing? Now I have to ask - did smoking start the fire or did some drunk who passed out while smoking caused the fire. So would that fire be caused by smoking or by drinking?

And I notice that again - you have switched now from bush fires and now to house fires.

You don't know what you are talking about.

Simon Chapman is one of the most virulant and unreasonable anti-smokers on the planet. He is an ass who will say and do anything to get his way. He is also jumping right on the obesity band wagon to try and keep the public purse from running dry

The man will run off at the mouth, even on subjects he knows NOTHING about:

velvetgloveironfist.blogspot.ca...

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 01:34 PM
link   
nvm. nvm. nvm.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join