It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

No GOD? No Afterlife? No Point to Life.

page: 5
23
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 04:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Seems you are saying anything and everything you have that could back up your premise is locked in your mind.

That is fine as I know personal feelings/experiences can be as real as any reality to the person experiencing it.


Please try to understand to someone such as myself that sort of thing holds zero credibility. Case and point my mother who has dementia often asks and describes in detail to me and others my brothers and sisters, what they do, how old they are, and where they live. There is much much more, however I am an only child. She can be so convincing that she has had me questioning my sanity if even only briefly. Now what is there to dispute you are not suffering from something akin to the dementia my mother suffers from where reality and fantasy are intertwined.

Without evidence we are left with only your word, for what its worth.




posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 04:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

I do totally understand. I wouldn't necessarily believe me either. I know there are others on ATS that have similar memories of past lives. I won't even go into OBEs etc. I usually don't mention these things to others because they want me to prove or justify my experiences when I know I can't anymore than you can prove any memory or experience you have.

It is best to remain silent.
edit on 2014/8/4 by Metallicus because: sp



posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 05:28 PM
link   
a reply to: knightsofcydonia

The Bible isn't a myth. Just because an archbishop misinterpreted the word yom(without seeing the original Hebrew text probably) and claim that the age of the Earth is 6000 years old and science managed to disprove that doesn't mean that it's a myth. I've been trying to prove the story about Noah's tribes, the Towel of Babel, now let me give some evidence that the flood did happen:

en.wikipedia.org...(China)

The timeline seems to match remarkably well with the Biblical flood, including the duration. Emperor Yao and the Yellow Emperor were probably Noah's descendants, or the Nephillim themselves(note the inscription from the right says that Emperor Yao came from heaven).

Note: wiki Great Flood China if the link doesn't redirect correctly
edit on 4-8-2014 by np6888 because: (no reason given)



posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 05:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Well your honest and I like that. You could have tried to make up something but you didn't. I admit my question and premise is hard to respond to but both are honest and responding with honesty is best.

You mention OBE I had one once or at least I thought I did but in retrospect it could have been something else there really isn't any way for me to tell so I just go with Occams Razor on that.

Now I have clinically died before, twice actually but I have nothing special to report on either instance. Both times I came out of it mad as hell because I was tired/done/ ready for an eternal rest but subconsciously or my body was to strong to give up. I can understand where some would find comfort in words that people offered to me like it wasn't my time, god has plans for me, it wasn't my fate...yadda yadda. For myself all those words were hollow but I understood their sentiment so I didn't ostracize them. I have been through what some would call a living hell but I got through it, though I am very convinced there is nothing awaiting us after death. After all I have been there. People are welcome to believe whatever they wish on that matter but I already know. Now that I have gotten through the worst of it with the surgeries and reconstruction...well I have a few more to go but that ain't S*&t I plan on living life to the fullest or close to it and when my time comes...well...it comes for us all doesn't it.

Anyway, if what you believe makes you happy then I say good for you, and I hope it continues to do so.


Peace......
edit on 4-8-2014 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)



posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Tel aviv university has been searching for one piece of evidence for over 200 years and nothing..

its much easier to bring to light the thousands of encoded messages encoded into the myth that refer to the quantum world as well as a guide to consciousness and physiology.

No offense but I did not bother to look at the wiki page since that information can be edited by basically anyone..

if you could please enlighten me as to what you're referring to.a reply to: np6888



posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 05:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi


Now I have clinically died before, twice actually but I have nothing special to report on either instance. Both times I came out of it mad as hell because I was tired/done/ ready for an eternal rest but subconsciously or my body was to strong to give up.


Ironically... If you look into this a bit deeper you'll find that almost everyone that has "clinically died" is disappointed that they returned...

Perhaps its because you experienced what almost everyone experiences at that moment... Overwhelming peace and tranquility... but you forgot it happened, just as you forget a dream moments after you wake

Apparently its something that happens to everyone...

this process/experience is even described in The Tibetian Book of the Dead




posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 05:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

Oh I remember. It was tranquil. The feeling of drifting off without a care in the world. It was kinda like drifting off to sleep without dreaming. I even remember the sensation of cooling off and it felt nice.

I wasn't disappointing that I returned I was downright livid about it. It is easy to let go it is maddening that you are brought back afterword.


Now if your going to try an equate that to a peaceful afterlife then here is food for thought. I am an atheist I do not believe nor do I devote myself to any deity so that would mean that it really doesn't matter what anyone believes because we all wind up at the same place...which I am fine with.



posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 06:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

Right...

All Will be Saved


but what I can't say is that "everyone" will be happy at the outcome...




posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 06:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

S&F for your thread. Honestly I have no problem with it though my own personal experience and memory (which can be flawed I admit) tell me there isn't anything after death but there isn't anything to be afraid of either.

Its cool a non judgmental and non prerequisite except doing what you feel is best type of religion I am good with. I actually read a book a few years back after I went through one of the NDE's that was along those lines. I will refrain from mentioning the tittle as it has put a few people off but if anyone s interested PM me and I will go in detail as best I can. Basically it put me at ease with certain aspects I wasn't comfortable with yet. I remain an atheist I even lost what spirituality I once clung to, though that isn't a bad thing. Everything that I once attributed to spirituality has become a simple appreciation of the natural beauty of the world which in rare instances I can stop and take a mental picture of which I try to carry with me through less beautiful places.

One life one chance one time which is now, if I could live by that at all times then I would count myself fortunate but I still strive for that state of mind. If I ever do reach that point I doubt I will ever be posting here again..haha..oh well I am not there yet.

Let me tell you one thing that changed after my NDE. After I came to terms with having to keep on living I changed my entire life so that I can travel the world. I am back in the states right now to settle my family's estate and insure my mother is taken care of but in a 2 or three months I will be back to traveling the world to which end I don't know but I have some pretty impossible goals by most peoples standards to give you an idea I already climbed Everest 2 years ago....haha...that sucked. WTF was I thinking I still can't say but the other things I guess can be called a bucket list are probably much worse.


You only live once... er... or do you??? Well I know you at least live once so I am sticking with that for now.


Peace....
edit on 4-8-2014 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)



posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 06:59 PM
link   
a reply to: knightsofcydonia

wiki doesn't just allow people to just post stuff without sources, especially on an important topic, and if they see something wrong, someone will be sure to correct it. Anyway, here's some more evidence of the flood:

en.wikipedia.org...

groups.google.com...#!topic/alt.archaeology/21v_y6Dw9JI

Scroll down the first link and you'll see the word sars. Now wiki makes a mistake here and assumes that it means 3600 years, if you look at the 2nd link, you'll see that it could mean 3600, 60 or 1. To me, if the Sumerians used base 60, and ners come after sars, then most logically, sars mean 60, ners mean 10, and sosses mean 1. I haven't done the math, but using that as a base(sars = 60), then if you add up the Sumerian Kings' rule, it SHOULD add up to roughly the time between Adam and Noah.



posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 07:01 PM
link   
The 2nd link doesn't work, but here's the discussion:

According to Eusebius quoting Berosus, the Babylonians reckoned the years of
their kings Alorus through to Xisuthrus in Sars and the kings that came
after them before Ninus in Ners and Soss.
Eusebius says that a Soss was 1 year and a Ner 60 years and a Sar 3600
years.

Now this is clearly ridiculous, since the first 10 Chaldanian kings are
given a combined reign of 120 Sars.

So what does Soss, Ner, and Sar actually mean in Babylonian or Sumerian?

Since the Sumerians and Babylonians used base 60, could Soss, Ner and Sar
just have been the names of the cuneiform shapes that were used in the
numbering system, since there are different shapes for the 60's and the
Units in inscriptions. If Soss, Ner and Sar are just symbol names then a
Soss could just be a year and a Ner 1/60 of a year or about 6 days, or
alternatively a Ner could be used to represent one year and a Sar 1/60 of a
year, depending on which symbol the scribe decided to use. Thus 120 Sars
could just be 120 years.

At the end of Eusebius first list of Chaldanian kings, none of which have
recognisably Babylonian names, Xisouthros is named as king which is clearly
the same as Ziusudra of the Sumerian flood story.

What is the basis for claiming that Sumerian chronology precedes Babylonian
chronology rather than being in parallel with it? And how big are the error
margins?

Also what is the basis for assuming the Sumerians and Babylonians were using
years in their inscriptions rather than seasons as referred to by Eusebius
in his Chronicon and Pliny in respect of the Arcadians, or counting winters
and summers as different years as referred to by Pliny again and Pausanius
as what the Spartans did? Do contemporary accounts exist of Babylonian kings
in Egyptian chronology prior to the 18th Dynasty which is as far as I have
been able to trace any, and how far do they go back?

Click here to Reply



Agamemnon
9/18/08



"Agamemnon" wrote in message
news:IY2dnZfM57jlb0_VnZ2dneKdnZydnZ2d@eclipse.net.uk...

> According to Eusebius quoting Berosus, the Babylonians reckoned the years
> of their kings Alorus through to Xisuthrus in Sars and the kings that came
> after them before Ninus in Ners and Soss.
>
> Eusebius says that a Soss was 1 year and a Ner 60 years and a Sar 3600
> years.
Actually it's worse than that. Soss was 60 years and a Ner 600 years and a
Sar 3600 years.

There is no way Berosus could have read such figures correctly since after
doing some research I've found out cuneiform on uses 2 symbols, an A on its
side pointing left for 10, 600, 36,000, 216,000 etc. and a Y for 1, 60,
3,600, 216,00 etc. The problem is that the Sumerians and Babylonians had no
symbol for zero, which was not invented until Hellenistic times, therefore
the is no way of knowing if AY meant 11 or 660 etc.

>
> Now this is clearly ridiculous, since the first 10 Chaldanian kings are
> given a combined reign of 120 Sars.
A Sar can mean either 3600, or 60 or 1, so it is more likely that 120 Sars
is 120 years.

A Soss can mean either 60 or 1 and a Ner can mean either 600 or 10, the
kings Berosus gives reigins of 4 ners or 4 ners and 5 sosses to should be 40
or 45 years.

The next question is are years actually seasons or different years for
winters and summers.

>
> So what does Soss, Ner, and Sar actually mean in Babylonian or Sumerian?
>
> Since the Sumerians and Babylonians used base 60, could Soss, Ner and Sar
> just have been the names of the cuneiform shapes that were used in the
> numbering system, since there are different shapes for the 60's and the
> Units in inscriptions. If Soss, Ner and Sar are just symbol names then a
> Soss could just be a year and a Ner 1/60 of a year or about 6 days, or
> alternatively a Ner could be used to represent one year and a Sar 1/60 of
> a year, depending on which symbol the scribe decided to use. Thus 120 Sars
> could just be 120 years.
>
> At the end of Eusebius first list of Chaldanian kings, none of which have
> recognisably Babylonian names, Xisouthros is named as king which is
> clearly the same as Ziusudra of the Sumerian flood story.
>
> What is the basis for claiming that Sumerian chronology precedes
> Babylonian chronology rather than being in parallel with it? And how big
> are the error margins?
>
> Also what is the basis for assuming the Sumerians and Babylonians were
> using years in their inscriptions rather than seasons as referred to by
> Eusebius in his Chronicon and Pliny in respect of the Arcadians, or
> counting winters and summers as different years as referred to by Pliny
> again and Pausanius as what the Spartans did? Do contemporary accounts
> exist of Babylonian kings in Egyptian chronology prior to the 18th Dynasty
> which is as far as I have been able to trace any, and how far do they go
> back?



posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 07:48 PM
link   
After looking at the Kings List post-flood, it's in fact impossible for sars to have mean 3600, now if you divide all three units by 60, then it makes a lot more sense(actually, the beginning and end of the dynasty of Kish match perfectly if you divide by 60).

It should be noted that some of those kings, such as Aga of Kish have been verified to have existed.
edit on 4-8-2014 by np6888 because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-8-2014 by np6888 because: (no reason given)



posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 09:42 PM
link   
a reply to: np6888

What about the structural integrity of the Ark?

a reply to: Metallicus

I'm not an atheist but don't believe in any one religion or their respective texts etc. I used to be a Christian but found Science more credible. Simply put, I don't know what's out there. Either way, life has as much meaning as you give it.
edit on 4-8-2014 by WakeUpBeer because: format



posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 11:46 PM
link   
originally posted by: Akragon
a reply to: Metallicus


[I][Metallicus[/I] Since I believe in reincarnation and karma my reason for participating is somewhat selfish at its most basic level. If I have to keep coming back and often with the same people it is to my benefit to leave the world better than I found it and to help those closest to me.



[I]Akragon[/I]What if you are destined to deal with tons of other people in your journey through eternity... eventually you would probably meet everyone... so would it not also be "to your benefit" to help the stranger as well as those you care about?

For the next eon? not. I keep telling my mother; better to get over the hatred of that daughter-in-law thing as she was probably her mother in a former life. Carry on wayward son, being stuck in family Karma. I think of this way; Buddha is the legless beggar (disguised) asking for spare change to help its homelessness; that ONE in sarcasm said/told "I threw my last quarter in the gutter two streets up" (do you want directions). Buddhas snappy retort would be to me "A QUARTER? given to my question if given by all hearing ME could educate my nation/idealogy".
edit on 5-8-2014 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)



posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 12:22 AM
link   
originally posted by: Aphorism
a reply to: Metallicus

[I]Metalilicus[/I] If you believe there is no God or afterlife what is the point of life? If we are on this rock for one short life, a relative blink of an geologic terms and never return then what is the point?



[I]Aphorism[/I]Do you not love anything?
Atheists, as far as I can tell, don't need to imagine rewards to enjoy and find reason to live.

I was talking to Beaul today and I asked IT this question, "is it better *harder won fight* to gain the soul of an atheist, a non-believer or a true believer in God faith". It answered this way:

1. The non-believer is prime as it has no idea it has a soul so I can take it without its even knowing I've done so.

2. The believer is trumped up triple as it has doubts about its soul at times; and during those I can convince is worthless (and through some maneuvering/promises of riches wealth, anything desired sells it to me).

3. The atheist is the easiest, as I can convince hold the argument they had a worthless soul (wasted as in they not in recognision) and without telling, was mine from the beginning.
edit on 5-8-2014 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)



posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 12:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: WakeUpBeer
a reply to: np6888

What about the structural integrity of the Ark?

a reply to: Metallicus

I'm not an atheist but don't believe in any one religion or their respective texts etc. I used to be a Christian but found Science more credible. Simply put, I don't know what's out there. Either way, life has as much meaning as you give it.

Have you checked out the "Christian Scientists". They are very interesting.



posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 12:46 AM
link   
a reply to: vethumanbeing

Well if you mean Christian scientists trying to prove the Bible then yes.

Sometimes they are interesting, sometimes they are sad.
edit on 5-8-2014 by WakeUpBeer because: (no reason given)



posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 12:56 AM
link   
originally posted by: Prezbo369
originally posted by: Metallicus
originally posted by: Prezbo369

[I] Prezbo369[/I] I tell you what, the next time I go to rome i'll take some pics/videos and bring back a few souvenirs, and you do the same the next time you visit the afterlife ok?....


[I]Metallicus[/I] If I went to Rome and I forgot to take pictures it wouldn't make it any less real or your statement any less foolish sounding to me. I still know Rome exists


[I]Prezbo369[/I]But you'd have evidence and people would be more likely to believe you, because no-one has any business believing your claim that you've visited life after death and returned. Death has a 100% record of non-returns....

So you say death is problematic in the sense your BODY dies/decomposes and not likely to reanimate even as a Hollywood ZOMBIE (you might get paid as a rotting relic if you figured out how to animate it without a soul). No one has any business believing Metallicus's claim? I BELIEVE IT. You forgot all about the soul/spirit that NEVER DIES and is immortal/eternal. Read some two posts up as you might fit right into one of Beaul's three descriptions of "the misplaced or lost souls of the ignorant".
edit on 5-8-2014 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)



posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 01:16 AM
link   
So much complexity and so little simplicity in many of the beliefs humans have created to appease their fears, no wonder so many are so confused.



posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 01:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: WakeUpBeer
a reply to: vetetanhumanbeing

Well if you mean Christian scientists trying to prove the Bible then yes.

Sometimes they are interesting, sometimes they are sad.
They haven't proven the Bible to my satisfaction.
I'm not big on using faith to fill the holes.

You don't find the fact that they for decades believe they (as God empowered can heal themselves without allopaths). That they can 'wish pestulance away as in "go away grasshoppers don't eat the crops", that they say thank you for the rain before it falls? They are very similar to Roscicusions. They are not sad, they are enlightened. What is wrong with acknowledging Master teachers (Plato, Pythagoris, Buddha, Horus, Thoth, Jesus, Hermes, Mohammed). What do these people have to do with the Bible at all? Jesus was an afterthought added to Judaic texts as "NEW", wait a minute here, did Abraham and Moses have editorial control? NO because if they did there would be no NEW TESTAMENT added to, it would have been a separate entity. Who was in charge of this editorial snafu and why? Jesus was an Essene, Jewish by birth but not by doctrine.




top topics



 
23
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

log in

join