It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No GOD? No Afterlife? No Point to Life.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 02:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

originally posted by: Prezbo369
I tell you what, the next time I go to rome i'll take some pics/videos and bring back a few souvenirs, and you do the same the next time you visit the afterlife ok?....

If I went to Rome and I forgot to take pictures it wouldn't make it any less real or your statement any less foolish sounding to me.

I still know Rome exists

But you'd have evidence and people would be more likely to believe you, because no-one has any business believing your claim that you've visited life after death and returned.

Death has a 100% record of non-returns....

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 02:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Prezbo369

But you'd have evidence and people would be more likely to believe you, because no-one has any business believing your claim that you've visited life after death and returned.

I never intended nor cared to prove anything to you or others. I was looking for insight into something that puzzles me.

We both know what we know and that's okay.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Perhaps it is like being born blind. You enjoy your life because you don't know of any other way to live.

Not at all. I enjoy my life because it's wonderful.

For the first thirty years of my life, I believed in God, heaven and the whole bit. I've "tasted" both flavors. So I DO know another way to live.

I don't think you were curious at all. I think your started yet another anti-atheist thread, calling us "ignorant" and saying we live "empty lives".

That's cool. You already admitted that there's more pain and suffering than joy in your life. I'm very sorry about that. My life is just the opposite.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 02:53 PM
link   

I tell you what, the next time I go to rome i'll take some pics/videos and bring back a few souvenirs, and you do the same the next time you visit the afterlife ok?....

If I went to Rome and I forgot to take pictures it wouldn't make it any less real or your statement any less foolish sounding to me.

I still know Rome exists

Plenty of people have been to Rome and lived to tell the tale. (Despite the best efforts of the local drivers!)

The afterlife? Not so much.

Equating the two is a pretty specious argument.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 02:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Rob48

Its not meant as an argument. I was trying to show how silly it is to me that someone would deny the existence of something I know exists. If I lack the words to convey that or the proper example then I am sorry. Either way I wish you the best.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

I have already addressed the use of the word ignorant in a previous post. It was reference to ME and a hypothetical situation of me not knowing what I know. It was NOT a reference to others. It was apparently taken the wrong by those that read my initial statement and for that I apologize again and you can see my initial apology as well.

As far as the 'pain and suffering' it would only be an issue if I didn't realize its purpose. Again, you misunderstood my statement and twisted it around to be something it wasn't.
edit on 2014/8/4 by Metallicus because: ETA

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 03:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

I was trying to show how silly it is to me that someone would deny the existence of something I know exists.

Oh pray tell please explain how you know it exists?

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 03:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi

I was trying to show how silly it is to me that someone would deny the existence of something I know exists.

Oh pray tell please explain how you know it exists?

I have already explained this in depth in my initial and subsequent posts. If you actually care you can read the OP.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 03:04 PM
link   

So I have to ask. Do you have anything other than what is in your mind or is that the extent of it?

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Sorry, I'm not buying it. Your post comes across as a way to insult atheists. It didn't work, in my case.

You say:

I find it ironic from my point of view that those people consider believers to be the foolish ones.

Your judgment: atheists are foolish.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 03:10 PM
link   
I strongly believe in an afterlife and came to this conclusion through experiences only. Without them, I could still be lost in the vast veil of the human mind.

It (the mind) cannot understand alone all there is to this universe because it has simply not been programmed to do so. This is why so many cultures have talked about the third eye or 'sixth sense' (aka pineal gland) when it comes to life after death... it's not something that can be completely understood with the use of thoughts. The mind can only put order and sense to inner truths, but it can't find most of them.

Its usage dwells in the comprehension of the material world only. So many people fail to recognize that and I always find it quite sad because I wholeheartdly believe in the fact that one of the main reason of existence is to find our way back to the ultimate source of energy all by ourselves. And it's a realization that can only be acquired with the use of faith.

My personal opinion ofc, no offense to anyone.

Anyways, great thread.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 03:11 PM
link   

a reply to: Rob48

Its not meant as an argument. I was trying to show how silly it is to me that someone would deny the existence of something I know exists. If I lack the words to convey that or the proper example then I am sorry. Either way I wish you the best.

And likewise to you. But with respect, you don't "know" it exists. Personal memory is subjective and fallible enough in one lifetime, let alone several. Your memories could easily be explained by a combination of imagination and schooling.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 03:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

I gave the background information as a way to ask a question that puzzles me. I KNOW what I know just like you know what your house looks like and can remember.

My intention was not to convince people of my experiences and frankly, I never mention it because people don't understand. If you remember your past lives you remember them like any other memory. How do you describe a world of sight to someone who was born blind? If you are actually interested I can tell you more in PMs.

It was never my intention to prove anything to anyone. I was simply curious about how someone without my knowledge views a world without God and the afterlife as it would be strange to me.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Some of you, not most, seem desperate to convince others that there is no God and that those with beliefs are stupid or delusional. I find it ironic from my point of view that those people consider believers to be the foolish ones.

You cut off the part where I said SOME not MOST in an effort to show how it could be reversed about Atheists who consider believers to be foolish. Do you consider believers foolish? Is that why you took offense?

Don't confuse my lack of understanding of Atheists as something it isn't. My entire goal this thread was to figure out how someone lives with an Atheists perspective.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 03:23 PM
link   

How do you know it wasn't a delirium induced hallucination?

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 03:23 PM
link   
I always feel the main point to life is "living it". That and being kind when we can, a smile, even at a stranger in the checkout line...what does it cost or hurt...may actually be the only thing that makes that persons day. Doing "little things" for people and loved ones...sometimes it is the little things in life that count and make an impact or impression. Doing random acts of kindness...it often makes both the giver and receiver feel happier/better...and can be like a chain and gets passed forward.

One doesn't need a belief in religion or an afterlife to do those things mentioned above. Being caring and compassionate and loving should and can be an "equal opportunity" kinda dealy.

Religions have always confused me...how religious folks can accept warring amongst each other...how horrible things like the death of a child through abuse or war or pedophilia can get explained away as gods will or he works in mysterious ways. New age stuff just as bad, "We create our own reality?" Then we should all be rich, ever young, good looking, healthy, and happy for all eternity...why would we choose less for ourselves?

Best to live life to the fullest without hurting anyone. Enjoy flowers and art and sunny days and the smell of fresh cut grass and homemade bread baking and all of that. We all die eventually but no one knows yet for sure that our energy doesn't live on or that we may go to another dimension or better place...we all gotta wait and see for that one.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 03:25 PM
link   

How do you know it wasn't a delirium induced hallucination?

How do you know all of your memories aren't a delirium induced hallucination? Your memories and observations are really the only data you have. If it is all fake then who created this elaborate hoax and how do I get my money back.
edit on 2014/8/4 by Metallicus because: ETA

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 03:41 PM
link   

I was simply curious about how someone without my knowledge views a world without God and the afterlife as it would be strange to me.

Your "knowledge" is not knowledge, but BELIEF. And that's cool. We all have beliefs. But you're coming across as very condescending when you say things like that. And I'm pretty sure you know that.

My entire goal this thread was to figure out how someone lives with an Atheists perspective.

All there is to "an atheist's perspective" is a disbelief in deities. Not really a "perspective", but one simple common denominator. That's ALL we have in common. That's all you need to know about atheists, because that's all there IS to know about us, as a group.

As you've seen, we have beliefs that run the gamut. I believe we are more than this physical existence. There may be a life after this, but I am more than my body and brain. Those are tools for me to maneuver in this life.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 03:48 PM
link   

As you've seen, we have beliefs that run the gamut. I believe we are more than this physical existence. There may be a life after this, but I am more than my body and brain. Those are tools for me to maneuver in this life.

You and I actually hold fairly similar beliefs. My question was more for those that believe we are body and brain and that when we die that's it...nothingness.

I appreciate the debate. Thank you.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 03:55 PM
link   

My question was more for those that believe we are body and brain and that when we die that's it...nothingness.

There are times in my life when I do believe that, though none of my beliefs are very firm. All these beliefs are really just possibilities. But people hold onto their beliefs for dear life. Given that we cannot KNOW what happens when we die, I'm going to leave it open and live my life as though this is all there is. Then I'll find out when I get there. If we turn to dust, I will be happy that I lived my life the way I did and I will die in peace.
edit on 8/4/2014 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join