It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No GOD? No Afterlife? No Point to Life.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 11:39 PM
link   
First, I would like to state that I am not a follower of any mainstream religion or faith. That being said I am a strong believer in God, reincarnation and an afterlife. Why, you might ask? I have several reasons for my beliefs. I believe in God and an afterlife because of my personal spiritual experiences. I also have very vivid memories of some of my past lives which allows me to KNOW that reincarnation is real at that karma is the great equalizer across our many lifetimes and is the logical explanation for the inequities we see in this life when taken as a single occurrence or lifetime.

I am NOT trying to convince anyone of my experiences because a) I don't need anyone else to believe me and even if they did it would be meaningless and b) You either KNOW or you don't. Also, I have not had any cool lives where I was a king or queen or some famous person. I have been a slave, a fool and a drunk among several other mundane lives. I do see common threads and clear explanations of why I am here now and problems I am dealing with in my current lifetime. I don't have any help or insight into your life other than to say I KNOW there is more to this life than a single, random trip. We are in a classroom and are here to learn to love ourselves and each other.

I rarely speak of my experiences to anyone except family and close friends. I remember one life with wife and several with my best friend. I know why I instantly 'hate' some people I meet and have an instant affinity with others beyond a simple, physical explanation. Most people are neutral, but when I meet someone who I have loved before or who harmed me in another life I often times feel that recognition and instant emotion.

Anyway, I am NOT trying to convince anyone, but trying to give a little background. I know others here will either know what I am talking about or think I am crazy. Either way I am no guru or special person. I only have a little more insight into how things work and my personal situation.

# # #

So, the point of this thread is to try to understand those of you that don't believe in God or an afterlife. Some of you, not most, seem desperate to convince others that there is no God and that those with beliefs are stupid or delusional. I find it ironic from my point of view that those people consider believers to be the foolish ones. When I say believers I mean those that believe in a higher power or an afterlife. Nothing specific.

Okay, so my one question after all that is this...

If you believe there is no God or afterlife what is the point of life? If we are on this rock for one short life, a relative blink of an eye in geologic terms and never return then what is the point?

From my perspective we are tempered throughout many lifetimes and over time learn from our past mistakes. Each of us has a chance to help mankind evolve and make the Earth better for ourselves and humanity for future lifetimes. That being said physical life is meant to be hard. This isn't a utopia. People learn humility love and compassion from the hard times more than the easy ones.

Anyway, if I lived in an ignorant state where I believed my life was one and done and there is nothing else then I would see no point to living. This world is more pain and suffering than joyful. I would see little point in dealing with it as I would see myself and everyone else as irrelevant and pointless.

So, how do you atheists live such empty lives? Why do you even bother?

I am very curious.

Thank you in advance for your responses.

edit on 2014/8/3 by Metallicus because: sp

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 11:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

If I may impose do they live a cautious life, eating right, vitamins, wear seat belts etc.? Logic would dictate if you only get one you should be doing everything to make it last like regular medical check ups. I am curious as well, hopefully this conversation for the answers you seek can be done without malice.

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 11:51 PM
link   

If you believe there is no God or afterlife what is the point of life? If we are on this rock for on short life, a relative blink of an eye on terms of geologic terms and never return then what is the point?

I have no idea if there is really an omniscient god in control of all things but it seems like fantasy to me. As far as an afterlife or reincarnation I really hope not, would not appreciate a continuation of this life or even worse having to come back again and again. That sounds like a biblical version of hell to me.

As far as "what's the point?" I've said this before here but sometimes there is no point. Life just is and things just are.

Just my opinion though as I have no real idea on the reality of these things.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 12:00 AM
link   

I believe in a creator but think religion is the root of everything that is wrong in the world, but I do not see why there has to be a god to make life worth living.

I believe one day in the very distant future mankind will know exactly who or what created us and how everything in the universe works.

So maybe the point is the quest to find out why we are here.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 12:04 AM
link   

If you believe there is no God or afterlife what is the point of life? If we are on this rock for one short life, a relative blink of an eye in geologic terms and never return then what is the point?

Do you not love anything?

Atheists, as far as I can tell, don't need to imagine rewards to enjoy and find reason to live.
edit on 4-8-2014 by Aphorism because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 12:04 AM
link   
a reply to: alienjuggalo

I see religion as an attempt by the intellectually lazy to have someone else give them the answers. Religion serves a purpose and isn't evil per se, but is a necessary step for some. I've always felt like God and I don't need a middleman.
edit on 2014/8/4 by Metallicus because: sp

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 12:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Aphorism

Do you not love anything?

There isn't anything in the physical world that interests me, but relationships with people are real and there are people I care about. I am still learning to love which is a big reason I am here.

ETA:

Atheists, as far as I can tell, don't need to imagine rewards to enjoy and find reason to live.

I don't think I mentioned expecting rewards.
edit on 2014/8/4 by Metallicus because: eta

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 12:16 AM
link   
The point of life is right now. Love your ass off. Eat the hell out of that cheeseburger. It could all end at any moment.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Religion is just a way to control people, I hate it. I mean we might as well be worshiping Santa Clause its the same bs.

You better watch out, you better not cry or you will get on gods naughty list and go to hell.

How does god allow priests to rape children in a church? Why doesn't he smite them?

And why the hell would god possibly need 10% of my income?

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Just because you and I wouldn't benefit from a particular experience or activity doesn't mean others wouldn't. I have learned to let others have their experiences because they are usually what they need to learn from. As far as the bad things in religion I could probably point out just as many positive things.

Everything in life is experiences. I have had a lot of unpleacant things happen to me, but in retrospect I needed each of them to build the foundation of who I am now.

Life isn't meant to be positive or negative, just to be learned from.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 12:27 AM
link   

There isn't anything in the physical world that interests me, but relationships with people are real and there are people I care about. I am still learning to love which is a big reason I am here.

What in the non-phyiscal world interests you? You might one day find that your belief in God and reincarnation are of this physical world, as are the people you care about. Without no stake in this world, I have to wonder why you are still here?

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Religion is just a way to control people, I hate it. I mean we might as well be worshiping Santa Clause its the same bs.

There is no governing agent with enough volition to control people called "religion". There's no enemy called "religion" anyone can hate. Religion is just a pile of books and words and stories. It cannot control anything. To say otherwise is just as superstitious as "loving" a God. Most of the world is religious, and to hate religion is to hate those people. To hate it, fight it and destroy it is illogical and irrational. It can only be changed.

edit on 4-8-2014 by Aphorism because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 12:31 AM
link   

How do you know?

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 12:34 AM
link   

That's exactly the point of the thread. If I believed that the physical world was all there was I wouldn't have a reason to live. Since I believe in reincarnation and karma my reason for participating is somewhat selfish at its most basic level. If I have to keep coming back and often with the same people it is to my benefit to leave the world better than I found it and to help those closest to me.

I don't think this is a great perspective and lacks the love and higher consciousness I believe I am here to learn. I am far from perfect and have a unique perspective on my faults and shortc'mings.

I need to learn to love myself and others.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 12:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: alienjuggalo

How do you know?

It would be impossible for me to prove to you. I know the things from past lives I need to work on and why I am here and keep coming back. I simply have that awareness. I can't quantify or share it with you. I'm sorry.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 12:41 AM
link   

I like this post, much food for thought here. I also think along these lines.

If the universe has varied sentient species, and humans are one of many of these species, then earth must be after-school detention because we ain't gettin it right.

I have also thought that since there IS a physical universe as we know it, then it must be as important as what comes after, and perhaps before (if they are different places).

edit on 4-8-2014 by ScientiaFortisDefendit because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Most of the world is religious, and to hate religion is to hate those peopl

Bs I don't hate anyone. Its the religious that do all the damn hating.. The jews hate the Muslims and the Muslims and everyone else hates the Jews, The Christians hate the gays . I don't hate anyone.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 12:43 AM
link   

I have no reason to believe that there is any use of a "higher consciousness". Those who have claimed to have higher consciousness don't seem to display any such special power.

That's exactly the point of the thread. If I believed that the physical world was all there was I wouldn't have a reason to live.

There are many interesting things in the world. You for instance. The possibilities of what you can create are endless. You can change the world, and this can be proven by moving something from one place to another. This seemingly insignificant physical act has literally changed the world.

Anyways, I cannot try to convince you. if you need to imagine an afterlife and reincarnation, do it. If that's what you need to inspire you, keep it. But in my opinion, it is a very conformist and somewhat mediocre position. We are capable of thinking up better reasons to live—or so I would hope.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 12:44 AM
link   
actually thats exactly what the Bible describes and talks about as Hell. Its describing being entrapped in the lower carnal mind.
Jesus taught us to seek within and from there the answers come. Basically he said to meditate and you will ascend into the higher mind known as Krist consciousness.

That why Jesus sat at the right hand side of the throne of God. Jesus is referring to the right side of the brain where you can only connect in meditation.

(Buddah taught this..achieving Nirvana by connecting the two hemispheres of the brain in new ways through meditation - the serpent rises up the kundalini/spine into the pineal gland in center of brain and there God,Allah,Buddah, Divinity etc.. resides.)

I think if we learn what Jesus said to do which is meditate. We ascend into the higher mind that might perhaps let us experience heaven on earth so to speak.

anyways just some thoughts, I don't mean to go too far off topic here.

a reply to: Bassago

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Since I believe in reincarnation and karma my reason for participating is somewhat selfish at its most basic level. If I have to keep coming back and often with the same people it is to my benefit to leave the world better than I found it and to help those closest to me.

What if you are destined to deal with tons of other people in your journey through eternity... eventually you would probably meet everyone... so would it not also be "to your benefit" to help the stranger as well as those you care about?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join