It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Skallagrim: The Root of Much Human Conflict

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 11:39 PM
link   
A rather good look at the problem I think.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 12:46 AM
link   
a reply to: HarbingerOfShadows

Could you give a description or synopsis of the vid please? Thanks.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 01:10 AM
link   
It is a good point that the video makes, as an important part of conflict resolution is for each side to understand the position of the other side. While someone refuses to even consider what someone else may be experiencing, it builds a wall and prevents any progress towards resolution.
edit on 4-8-2014 by kwakakev because: added comma

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Seems pretty straightforward to me. It's all about prejudices and being able to look at a situation as if it is the first time a situation like this happens. It is not because a dog bit me when I was a kid that all dogs that see me want to bite me. There is something called General Semantics, which has always been dear to me, and which is about being aware of the mechanisms that take place in our brain. Because in a distant past we have been animals of the jungle, and because our brain still has remnants of that era, we are prompt to react emotionally to situations instead of thinking rationally, but we can with training "rewire" this behavior and allow us to think before reacting (see cortico-thalamic pause or E-Prime). Evolution breeds adaptation, but we are also guilty of excess of adaptation and it's all linked to the instinct of survival, we tend to dig deeper into which we feel comfortable because for the brain and in regard to the survival instinct, doubt is like suicide. An animal of the jungle which has doubts is a dead animal, because in order to survive it has to react swiftly. There is so much more to say about all this..

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 04:04 AM
link   
a reply to: HarbingerOfShadows

I made it through to half the video, and then closed it down. If this guy wants to make a point, he should try to be professional about it instead of blabbering like a moron.

Redneck, Bruce Wayne ... I'm sorry, the argument is totally lost on me. And the point ... is there one?

1. Most traumatized people, only act as "anti" something in the beginning. Case in point, abused children, become abusers in their adulthood, more often than not. Hence the sterotypical psycho profile, of the serial killer having been abused in their childhood.

2. Referring to "read from news articles" as being a moron, is moronic in and by itself. You can read your entire life, and never be the wiser for it. And a "news article" or "hearsay" is just as good, as Encyclopedia Brittanica. It's not "what" you read, it's what you do with it ... that counts. Decades ago, the world was full of uneducated morons ... now, it's full of educated morons. The adjective "moron" is still there. Because the education, does not guarantee that you know what to do with the information ... and you cannot "teach" someone to do "the right thing". This part, is wired in your brain ... and according to many religions, only after suffering will you understand what to do with the information.

Next time, get yourself together and get your point through in a professional manner ...

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 05:03 AM
link   
a reply to: bjarneorn

Wow.
The point completely passed over your head, huh?
Did it offend you somehow?
I am guess the talking about the argument about firearms.
Here's something you missed, he's a avid gun collector.
He has multiple videos about guns.

I made it through to half the video, and then closed it down. If this guy wants to make a point, he should try to be professional about it instead of blabbering like a moron.

Next time, get yourself together and get your point through in a professional manner ...

Um....
It's a youtube video made by a youtuber stating his opinion?
So...
Professional?
O.o

Redneck, Bruce Wayne ... I'm sorry, the argument is totally lost on me. And the point ... is there one?

Um....
Batman's parents were shot?
You missed the movies, comic books, video games, and etc?

1. Most traumatized people, only act as "anti" something in the beginning. Case in point, abused children, become abusers in their adulthood, more often than not. Hence the sterotypical psycho profile, of the serial killer having been abused in their childhood.

O.o
Oh so people who witness loved ones getting gunned down would in turn gun other people down in the future?
Um.
Right.

2. Referring to "read from news articles" as being a moron, is moronic in and by itself. You can read your entire life, and never be the wiser for it. And a "news article" or "hearsay" is just as good, as Encyclopedia Brittanica. It's not "what" you read, it's what you do with it ... that counts. Decades ago, the world was full of uneducated morons ... now, it's full of educated morons. The adjective "moron" is still there. Because the education, does not guarantee that you know what to do with the information ... and you cannot "teach" someone to do "the right thing". This part, is wired in your brain ... and according to many religions, only after suffering will you understand what to do with the information.

*woosh* The point *woosh*
Your head.

Scale: 1 period = 10 miles

Also, tirade makes no sense.
Might want to make sure you're in line before calling others morons.
edit on 4-8-2014 by HarbingerOfShadows because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 09:52 PM
link   
You know there is an old book that was written thousands of years ago that explains bad behavior:

1. Lust
2. Sloth
3. Wrath
4. Gluttony
5. Envy
6. Pride
7. Greed

We already know of these for thousands of years and we still didn't master them. We already have a solution and examples of what to do to help fight these tendencies, but the guy in the video thinks its stupid. Oh well, I guess he knows best.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 04:35 AM
link   
a reply to: bitsforbytes

Well, you know what they say : if religion was the solution, it would be done by now. Or do you think we need to give religion 5 or 10 thousand years more ?

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 05:21 AM
link   
I will get on more of this later maybe but lack of understanding causes a great deal of conflict. Usually other peoples desires and motives are overlooked.

a reply to: bitsforbytes

Those are the seven sins of Dantes Inferno. The bible never lists seven sins.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 05:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Aural

It is all in there with plenty of examples, just not in a convenient list which was coined by Mr. Dante and then repeated by Pope Gregory.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 06:15 AM
link   
a reply to: gosseyn

Well we got this far didn't we?

Has religion threatened the life of humans?

Are our modern ways threatening humanity? Yes, more then ever. Pollution, nukes, war, weakening magnetic field, possible climate change (I am skeptical), destruction of forests, animals and oceans. Our modern ways are misguided by the love of money which is not the right motivator.

I just can't help but think that there is something about these texts that we shouldn't ignore, even if you don't believe there is a God you cannot deny the rich content and reflection it has on human behavior, when used properly of course. Even if you eliminate religion, I believe you will always have extremists or those who out of hate commit horrific acts. Removing religion will change human nature and keeping wont neither.

The holy books all say that killing is evil and should not be done. When someone does it is not applying what is written? What will removing religion change? Nothing they will replace it with high speed cameras and microphones and someone will try to be God.

top topics

join