It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Post reply/quote notification recommendation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Could ATS add numbered links to replies to posts, next to where the stars are? (Or anywhere in the post area really)
So for example if I post a reply in a thread and 3 people reply to or quote my post, you would see "1, 2, 3" with each number linking to each consecutive reply... Perhaps even also showing said reply by hovering over the number.
Sometimes in threads I like to specifically see if anyone has replied to my posts or interesting posts others have made, and it's a pain to go to each page and do a ctrl+f to search the username. Yes, I know you can see replies (to your own posts) in the message area, but this idea is way more convenient and accessible. With this it will be much easier to keep track of who replies to what.

It would be easy to implement, and would make for an improved site experience in my opinion.
edit on 8/3/2014 by trollz because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 10:13 PM
link   
a reply to: trollz I like the sound of that.I love to keep up and occasionally speak up,but i do find it a bit difficult aswell.

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 10:36 PM
link   
a reply to: trollz

You make some of us wonder what you are most interested in, the added content of other posters with their views and perhaps the final determination of the thread or simply replies to your own stuff?

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 10:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aliensun

You make some of us wonder what you are most interested in, the added content of other posters with their views and perhaps the final determination of the thread or simply replies to your own stuff?

I made it quite clear that my intentions were to more easily see replies to other people's posts, as well as mine.
Besides, why should I not be interested in seeing replies to my posts? Is there something wrong with participating in the conversation? You're acting like it's wrong to want to see when people respond to something you say.
I think what you said was pretty unnecessary.

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 11:15 PM
link   

You can view replies to your own...not in the thread but in your messages. I believe quotes are handled the same way. They appear in descending order. That would be your fall back to your own posts.

As for replies to other users in a thread...I like the idea, and if one were to alternatively see replies to their own messages I also like that idea.

I see a lot of good ideas just fall into ATS oblivion come across this particular forum. What I would like to see...is if an idea gets x number of flags, from there Staff would create a poll thread, if there is enough "Love the idea" votes, Staff could then explore implementation of said function, or if not, why it can't be accomplished... etc.

Would be pretty clear that they're A) listening to their membership base B) that they're dedicated to creating the site based on what the membership would like to see/use and C) Better communication with members in an effort to keep everyone on the same page.
edit on 8/3/2014 by UberL33t because: pesky typos

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 11:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: UberL33t

You can view replies to your own...not in the thread but in your messages. I believe quotes are handled the same way. They appear in descending order. That would be your fall back to your own posts.

Right, but you have to go into your messages and search through the replies, rather than simply seeing them on each post. Especially for people who have alot of posts, it may be extremely inconvenient.

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 11:30 PM
link   
...fallback...I should have said "albeit rather cumbersome". So agreed, not the most fluid method...nevertheless kudos for the idea.

edit on 8/3/2014 by UberL33t because: pesky typos

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 12:30 AM
link   
It could never work. Look at the star system. It is now 18 max stars, that take up ~half the width. So there would be only about 18 response slots available, which would be filled up in only a few pages. Imagine the older more active threads, like say a zimmerman thread. The responses to the OP alone, if expanded to show all, would take up a few pages by itself. I hope I am explaining myself clearly lol.

top topics

join