It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Youtube: How your religion appears to us nonbelievers

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Another preacher. I never could understand how one who doesn't believe really care that much about what others believe.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 06:32 PM
link   
a reply to: HarbingerOfShadows

No I don't like the incorrect nature of the analogy. If you unwilling to admit that you might not know as.much about a religion as a believer as some of us spend massive amounts of time doing nothing but searching for.more.knowledge.of God. As I have said I don't mind someone's opinion being different but when they are simply incorrect about specific concepts such as salvation its frustrating as they speak out against something they have no evidence against normally because of a bad experience.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 06:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi
a reply to: addygrace

If I don't get it, fine. Explain it to me.

He tried but I think part of the problem is you have forgotten what the video actually said.

to atheists God believers are children with blindfolds.

I do not know where you got the blindfold from that wasn't part of the analogy.

If a self proclaimed atheist says he wants to open the eyes of the children and free them from the evils of believing in God,

Where are you getting the eye opening bit from??

I think you need to go back and re watch the video because you seem to have switched many things around such as blindfold for empty home without a father and the mirrors or opening children s eyes instead of not subjecting children to a crazy experiment which is why you are not getting it.

Seriously you need to go back and re-watch the video or at least for the first time watch the video the OP presented.
He talks about the blindfold at around the 5:53 mark. The eye opening part is just an extrapolation from me concerning, where he says atheists, agnostics, and pagans dont want the children to be blindfolded.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 06:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aural

No, no he is not wrong. Those are beleifs misnderstood most by abrahamic religions.

Being anti theist and militant atheist is not the same as just being an atheist. Most atheists dont even talk about religion at all.

Also i do not recall him even mentioning agnostic. You can be christian and agnostic.

He did not say specific religions were wrong, just that it is draining on someone to have all these different beleifs thrown out there and shoved in peoples faces.

The video is for people who do not understand. Not for every person of other beleifs.
He mentions atheists, agnostics, and pagans together at the 5:20 mark.

He doesn't like beliefs thrown out there and shoved in peoples faces, yet that's what he's doing. Also, if you're atheist you wouldn't care about any religion. A militant atheist is just a religious person who doesn't think there's a God.
P.S. You can't be Christian and Agnostic.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 06:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tarzan the apeman.
Another preacher. I never could understand how one who doesn't believe really care that much about what others believe.

Then you don't understand what he said.

Think about it. Why would anyone be concerned about children being exposed to or made to take part in a experiment where they are told they must believe or be tortured for eternity.

If you can't understand why anyone would be concerned about something like that then you may lack empathy.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 06:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: HarbingerOfShadows

You've proven explaining it to you is pointless.
You have the interpretation you like.
You proved that when I gave you some of his background information.
And you decided for some reason a (poly)theist was just supporting atheism.

And, I, as I said.
Am wholly uninteresting in turning this thread into just another believer versus nonbeliever foodfight.
He supports atheists, pagans, and agnostics at the 5:20 mark.
This thread is about the video. A video that states believers are like children with blindfolds in cages, that he and the atheists and agnostics want to free them from evil.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Maybe nobody made it to the end of the video.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Out of everything he said you came upon the very last thing he said. It is an analogy of the analogy.

BTW there certainly are agnostic Christians I know a few and just because someone doesn't believe in a deity (i.e. atheist) certainly has no bearing on if they should be concerned about the ramifications from religion that permeates every nook and cranny of society and tries to force itself upon the masses through things like politics. Actually atheists should be more concerned about religions doings upon the world and justifiably so.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 07:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi

Out of everything he said you came upon the very last thing he said. It is an analogy of the analogy.

BTW there certainly are agnostic Christians I know a few and just because someone doesn't believe in a deity (i.e. atheist) certainly has no bearing on if they should be concerned about the ramifications from religion that permeates every nook and cranny of society and tries to force itself upon the masses through things like politics. Actually atheists should be more concerned about religions doings upon the world and justifiably so.
So it's an analogy of an analogy?

Let's get real here. I just picked out one thing from the video, but the whole thing is an atrocious analogy, in which a lot of posters say this sums it up nicely. This is called a straw man argument. He tries to be clever and paints a picture of a religion I have never heard of. If he's talking about Christianity, then he's painting a false picture. He can easily knock it down because he made the analogy up.

Can someone please name the religion he's talking about? Show believers where the analogy lines up. OP, how about you? You said the video sums it up nicely. How do you figure?

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 07:44 PM
link   
a reply to: ServantOfTheLamb

Ah yes, "salvation", the ludicris idea that you must be redeemed to your creator because you are flawed.
Emphasis on the word creator, there.
Usually by unswerving loyalty to church.
An entity who claims to have a book written by god that just happens to favor the entity of the church........

And just to point this out to addy...

He's talking about Abrahamic religions.
The fact he does have a "religion" or at the very least is a flavor of theist should tell you that he's not going to advocate for atheism.
edit on 8-8-2014 by HarbingerOfShadows because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Seriously, look up the word analogy.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 07:48 PM
link   

I couldnt remember every word he said as i watched this days ago by now so i was stating a few points that are revelant.

Hes not throwing religion in other peoples faces. Its pretty clear he seemed to be insisting its a personal choice which is why it was an allegory from first person perpective. If it was an outside perspective then maybe it sounds more like what you think it is but its not. You are reaching for these interpretations you make.

Agnostic doesnt mean not beleiving in a god it means not being 100 percent sure. There are agnostic theists and agnostic atheists. Most christians that arent fundamentalists are agnostic theists

edit on 8-8-2014 by Aural because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 08:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: HarbingerOfShadows

And just to point this out to addy...

He's talking about Abrahamic religions.
The fact he does have a "religion" or at the very least is a flavor of theist should tell you that he's not going to advocate for atheism.
Yet he does that very thing at the 5:20 mark of the video.

The abrahamic religions aren't analogous to what he was saying.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 08:18 PM
link   
I lack no empathy. Let kids be kids. Kids aren't dumb they figure things out. We as adults should know we were kids once to, lest we forget. For me I am spiritual and don't believe in religion. Religion is of man. What I am saying is that it seems to me that people who believe are being preached at more and more by people who don't believe. They are becoming that which they condemn.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 08:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aural

I couldnt remember every word he said as i watched this days ago by now so i was stating a few points that are revelant.

Hes not throwing religion in other peoples faces. Its pretty clear he seemed to be insisting its a personal choice which is why it was an allegory from first person perpective. If it was an outside perspective then maybe it sounds more like what you think it is but its not. You are reaching for these interpretations you make.

Agnostic doesnt mean not beleiving in a god it means not being 100 percent sure. There are agnostic theists and agnostic atheists. Most christians that arent fundamentalists are agnostic theists
I stand corrected.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 10:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

Think about it. Why would anyone be concerned about children being exposed to or made to take part in a experiment where they are told they must believe or be tortured for eternity. If you can't understand why anyone would be concerned about something like that then you may lack empathy.

You see this exactly my problem with this video. In Christian theology hell isn't somewhere you are forced to go. If you deny God here in this life why would you want him in the next? You can't get angry at God for allowing you to make your own decisions.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 10:19 PM
link   
a reply to: HarbingerOfShadows

Ah yes, "salvation", the ludicris idea that you must be redeemed to your creator because you are flawed.

Why is that ludicrous? Are humans not flawed in not only physical reality, but also moral reality as well?

Usually by unswerving loyalty to church.

Once again you show your ignorance of Biblical theology . What is the Church according to the Bible? If you can't find the answer on your own I will help you. Second I dont even go to a church building. Why? Because I disagree with how they're normally taught and I believe personal research and study of the word is a much more effective way of learning .

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 10:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: ServantOfTheLamb

Think about it. Why would anyone be concerned about children being exposed to or made to take part in a experiment where they are told they must believe or be tortured for eternity. If you can't understand why anyone would be concerned about something like that then you may lack empathy.

You see this exactly my problem with this video. In Christian theology hell isn't somewhere you are forced to go. If you deny God here in this life why would you want him in the next? You can't get angry at God for allowing you to make your own decisions.

I guess we will disagree on what is being forced.

You must believe your father is behind the mirrors in your home yet he doesn't show himself to you have never seen or met him and there is no proof that he is actually there but if you don't continue believing in the end you will be dragged into the basement and tortured forever. By the way he loves you and you must believe that as well.

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 02:43 AM
link   
That analogy on your wording is off. It should say "you are told by some that once the experiment is over if you stop beleiving you will be taken to the basement and tortured". The way you worded it made it sound like its true not an idea presented by the people in the experiment.

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 06:33 AM
link   

Why is that ludicrous? Are humans not flawed in not only physical reality, but also moral reality as well?

I repeat.

Emphasis on the word creator

Once again you show your ignorance of Biblical theology . What is the Church according to the Bible? If you can't find the answer on your own I will help you. Second I dont even go to a church building. Why? Because I disagree with how they're normally taught and I believe personal research and study of the word is a much more effective way of learning .

Yet the bible is largely slanted towards supporting the entity of the Church.
You are hardly the rule.

And your "ignorant Bible theology" seems largely to mean innocent of positivist slant.
edit on 9-8-2014 by HarbingerOfShadows because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join