It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Youtube: How your religion appears to us nonbelievers

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 10:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Bone75

I've never seen anyone thump their Bible

Here is an eye opener for you then.

Caution video has some offensive language

I can count on one hand how many people I've met in my life that I would seriously consider nutcases

I probably have higher standards than you then.

BTW I live in Florida same as my location says however I have lived all over the US before.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 10:27 AM
link   

You really seem to love arguing over nothing.

He clearly said "feel" in the video. That means its not a fact its abuse to children to subject them to dogma but an opinion and expressing it for sake of understanding.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 10:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

He smacked his Bible, he didn't thump it, so I've still never seen anyone thump their Bible. Besides, how do you know that guy isn't an atheist posing as a Christian? It would've been nice to see the whole ordeal instead of a cherry picked segment.

I also find it quite hypocritical that you referred to your standards as higher rather than different.

edit on 5-8-2014 by Bone75 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 11:06 AM
link   

He backhanded his Bible, he didn't thump it,

His whole stick is whats called bible thumping. It was pretty funny that he slapped it at the end though.

Besides, how do you know that guy isn't an atheist posing as a Christian?

Wow that's pretty lame but not unexpected. It seems anytime Christians behave badly someone will try to say they aren't christian. There are tons of other video's of bible thumping but like I said that one was funny because of the end.

It would've been nice to see the whole ordeal instead of a cherry picked segment.

Why would you wan't to see more of that disgrace??

I also find it quite hypocritical that you referred to your standards as higher rather than different.

I didn't mean different though. You can think whatever you wan't about it. Being a free country and all.
edit on 5-8-2014 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 11:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Aural

This site would really suck if no one ever expressed an opposing view. You may not agree with my opinions and even find them pointless, but they do serve a purpose believe it or not.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   
The best case for atheism is called the bible. Read it cover to cover then tell me you honestly believe there is a god. The contradictions that abound are astounding and anyone who claims they have read the bible and still believe are obviously not being honest.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 02:57 PM
link   

So its hostile to verbally express other people feel a different way from you?

Everyone can have an opinion as long as its yours?

a reply to: haarvik

That's a logical fallacy. You can rule out the Christian God with the Bible but not all possible concepts of a god that are nothing like Christianity or Judaism and with the Quran you can try to rule out Islam. Those are all the same god though. That leaves a lot more other religions. Obviously you cant go over every one individually. Instead of thinking of God as the Abrahamic God you need to think of god or gods as being any possible concept of a God. Those not tied to a religion are impossible to rule out 100%.

I'm not saying that you can not be an atheist but I am saying that is a pretty weak validation to use the bible to rule out all possibilities . That would be like using a book on a specific Cryptid animal then using that book to conclude all cryptids do not exist and that there are no more animals to be discovered in the world.
edit on 5-8-2014 by Aural because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-8-2014 by Aural because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 04:05 PM
link   
It was a pretty good analogy. I think he also should have made a point that sometimes people come in and hurt you (the child) yet the 'father' does nothing to help despite you having done everything he asked and despite his supposed love for you.

That's just one of many reasons why I can't believe in a all mighty, loving god. I can't believe a creator who supposedly cares so much would allow the atrocities that innocent people face every day in this world while other people who are evil live great lives and are allowed to continue to oppress, pillage, torture and murder the innocent. It always gets me when there is a disaster like a tornado, plane crash, fire, mass shooting or whatever in which multiple people die and one of the survivors always claims that it was surely god's plan that they survived. Why? I always feel that's a rather arrogant thing to say. To think that you're so special that you could be hand-picked to survive a catastrophe out of all the other innocent men, women and children who died alongside you for no reason. Why wouldn't god save them? Most of them did nothing wrong either.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 06:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi

His whole stick is whats called bible thumping. It was pretty funny that he slapped it at the end though.

So basically you've never actually seen someone thump their Bible either, and you're just using a derogatory religious slur to describe anyone that preaches from the Bible. I understand now.

It seems anytime Christians behave badly someone will try to say they aren't christian.

So you want Muslims to reject the radicals that are blowing themselves up in the streets, but its lame if I reject a radical that is screaming at people in the street. I understand now.

Why would you wan't to see more of that disgrace??

Context.

I didn't mean different though.

I know you didn't, that's why I pointed it out. You're obviously more judgmental than the Christians you loathe.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Bible thumper
(U.S.) someone perceived as aggressively imposing their Christian beliefs upon others. The term derives from preachers thumping their hands down on the Bible, or thumping the Bible itself, to emphasize a point during a sermon. The term's target domain is broad and can often extend to anyone engaged in a public show of religion, fundamentalist or not. The term is most commonly used in English-speaking countries.

SOURCE

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 06:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

Wow that's pretty lame but not unexpected. It seems anytime Christians behave badly someone will try to say they aren't christian. There are tons of other video's of bible thumping but like I said that one was funny because of the end.

That's a pretty common phenomena with all of humanity.
Not just Christianity.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 06:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aural

So its hostile to verbally express other people feel a different way from you?

Everyone can have an opinion as long as its yours?

That is so NOT me! It would be nice if you guys were at least consistent with your comprehension skills.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Well, with you consistently being inconsistent.....
It should be kind of expected.
One post you'll say one thing, only to turn around and say the opposite in the other.
Then post again saying that first thing.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 06:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: HarbingerOfShadows

Bible thumper
(U.S.) someone perceived as aggressively imposing their Christian beliefs upon others. The term derives from preachers thumping their hands down on the Bible, or thumping the Bible itself, to emphasize a point during a sermon. The term's target domain is broad and can often extend to anyone engaged in a public show of religion, fundamentalist or not. The term is most commonly used in English-speaking countries.

SOURCE

Lol!!! At the very top of the page in big bold type it says...

List of Religious Slurs

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Just giving you the reference..........
If you want to feel persecuted go ahead and have fun with it.

Tis not the reality though.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 07:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bone75

originally posted by: HarbingerOfShadows

Bible thumper

SOURCE

Lol!!! At the very top of the page in big bold type it says...

List of Religious Slurs

You do realize that Bible Thumping isn't a literal term. You do not have to litterally "thump your bible" to be a "bible thumper".

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Maybe it is a California thing, because you can't avoid it there. The congregate anywhere there is a park and playground and harasses the parents and kids.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 08:38 PM
link   
I get where he is coming from, and I have said on ATS before, IF, I didn't know what I know. I would be an agnostic for the very reasons he states. Also Pagans have/had God's, he should not have included them.
edit on 5-8-2014 by Blue_Jay33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 09:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue_Jay33

Not quite so restrictive god(s) though.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 09:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ghost147

You do realize that Bible Thumping isn't a literal term. You do not have to litterally "thump your bible" to be a "bible thumper".

Umm... you do realize that's why its a derogatory term don't ya? Do you think everyone but Christians should have labels that are off-limits?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join