It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Palestinians Celebrate 911 Clip.... Is it real Or not?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 09:59 PM
link   
So many times I have looked for this and I remember folks thinking that it was a 'stock' film on CNN and not the live reactions. But I can seem to find anything.

First the movieclip:
The movieclip itself

Now the information as to the validity,

Celebrations of the September 11, 2001 attacks

The September 11, 2001 Terrorist Attack occasioned spontaneous outbreaks of public celebration in a number of Arab Muslim communities. Press and television coverage of these celebrations were met with shock and outrage in the United States. Observers in other nations often contrasted them with what they believe to be a justified distrust and antipathy to American hegemony.

There were reports of celebrations on the West Bank, and at the time there was an urban legend that the footage of some Palestinians celebrating the attacks was faked, and that it was actually footage from the invasion of Kuwait. This was proven false shortly afterwards [1] (www.snopes.com...), and the media widely circulated that fact.

Photos of these Palestinian children were widely circulated shortly after the September 11 terrorist attacks. Allegedly, they are celebrating the attacks. German media analyzing the whole film highlighted that the surrounding area is relatively quiet, that the people celebrating only appear briefly and then quickly disappear, and that a single person in a white T-shirt (shown here in the background) appears to have incited the children. (Fair use of AP photo)However, the US media did not widely circulate European media reports (by the renowned German weeklies Der Spiegel and Stern, by the German public TV magazine Panorama and by the Swedish Dagens Nyheter) that while the footage was indeed correctly dated, reporters had at least in part staged the scene. One woman was quoted saying that she was offered a piece of pie for whooping it up in front of the camera. It is unclear whether it was explained to the woman what she was supposedly celebrating.

Now it seems that one of the rumors has been proven false already, was it really old footage?

Claim: CNN used old footage to fake images of 'Palestinians dancing in the street' after the terrorist attack on the USA.

Reuters rejects as utterly baseless an allegation being circulated by e-mail and the Internet claiming that it circulated 10-year-old videotape to illustrate Palestinians celebrating in the wake of the September 11 tragedies in the United States.
Reuters welcomes a statement by the Universidad Estatal de Campinas-Brasil (UNICAMP), one of whose students was the author of the original e-mail, setting the record straight.

The videotape in question was shot in East Jerusalem by a Reuters camera crew on September 11 in the immediate aftermath of the attacks on the United States. The footage was broadcast by CNN and other subscribers to the Reuters video news service.

There is absolutely no truth to the information that is now distributed on the Internet that CNN used 10-year-old video when showing the celebrating of some Palestinians in East Jerusalem after the terror attacks in the U.S. The video was shot that day by a Reuters camera crew. CNN is a client of Reuters and like other clients, received the video and broadcast it. Reuters officials have publicly made the facts clear as well.
The allegation is false. The source of the allegation has withdrawn it and apologized. It was started by a Brazilian student who now says he immediately posted a correction once he knew the information was not true. This is the statement by his university � UNICAMP � Universidad Estatal de Campinas-Brasil.

Snopes link

I would like to discuss wether you believe that it was true or not as I have posted both sides of the story.

If True = Reactions

If False = Reactions

Lets see how many believe or do not believe

[edit on 3-12-2004 by edsinger]

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 11:07 AM
link   
No this is not true! Some people give them money and or food, that these people dance!! thats a hard fact!...damn..im looking for the source of it.

check!

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Hmm, this is a tough one. This is a really interesting conspiracy thread Ed, good post.

Is it real, in all honesty I would say that the video was indeed taken just after 911. Whether these people were indeed asked to dance for a reward, maybe they were "encouraged", I would say likely. I feel there is a good chance they were in some way not angry at 911 happening and some people may have felt it was a good thing. I say some because of the USA's strong ties with Isreal, so I can see some hatred or dislike of the US.

At the moment I am still undecided, but am swaying towards the true. I am looking forward to seeing more evidence provided one way or the other from other members.

BUT and this is a BIG but. A small group is shown celebrating? I in no way think that the majority of the citizens felt this was something to be happy about.

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I�ve got it Yeees, im so happy now!

Here�s the link guys

This is the hard fact: CHECK THIS

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 03:45 PM
link   
So Snopes was right? They DID celebrate huh? What other information can we find about that day and the reaction in the Arab world? Was their any truth to the Rumor that a Polish diplomat was told to check the streets of Baghdad BEFORE 911 happened?

top topics

join