It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can You Please Move the Comma?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 11:04 AM
link   
I'm talking about this:

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 11:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Mary Rose

How about that. That is pretty annoying when you see it! Ha.

I am no grammar boss - perhaps that is proper form in some countries?
edit on 3-8-2014 by lightedhype because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 11:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: lightedhype

How about that. That is pretty annoying when you see it! Ha.

I am no grammar boss - perhaps that is proper form in some countries?

Uhrm, no.

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Ok Mary

Now I wont be able to sleep at night.

It's going to haunt me

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 11:17 AM
link   
a reply to: SLAYER69

Why?

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 11:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: SLAYER69

Ok Mary,

Now I won't be able to sleep at night.

It's going to haunt me.

ftfy

edit on -05:0031148182014-08-03T11:18:31-05:00 by Psynic because: (no reason given)

edit on -05:0007148202014-08-03T11:20:07-05:00 by Psynic because: punc

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 11:21 AM
link   
a reply to: lightedhype

You know, speaking of that, there is another convention that varies in different countries and it's a real problem.

My understanding is that in UK:

04/10/45 means October 4, 1945

But in the US:

April 10, 1945

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Since 2010, ATS has been allowing 120 minutes to edit posts, and after that you get a message saying you have exceeded the "four hours" limit.
If there hasn't been time to edit "four hours" to "two hours" in the last four years, then moving a comma probably won't be high on the agenda.
Having said that, thread titles used to end with a comma followed by "page 1", which some people found annoying, so it may happen if you wait long enough.

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 11:46 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

I would also like to see:

corrected, but with that one I'm not so bothered because I have the power to fix it myself before I send the alert.

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 12:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mary Rose

You know, speaking of that, there is another convention that varies in different countries........

Another? In addition to which "convention" do you refer?

A comma after "Aug" isn't a convention; it's an error.

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Mary Rose, whatever you do, do not read the About ATS page. Does it indicate that there are no good English majors among the admin staff who would choose to ignore obvious errors like that?

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 12:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Psynic

Okay, but I was assuming that maybe, for some unknown reason illogical to me, that "convention" was the proper term and not "error."

One never knows what might be the case.

Anyway, do you think this is a simple request to implement, or would this require hours of work?

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Anyway, do you think this is a simple request to implement, or would this require hours of work?

Along with the above mentioned site errors, and adding that some members have millions of stars, I'd say the Overlord isn't going to burn up any keyboards on this, until he gets other problems fixed which take precedent over the little stuff. Including some real emoticons, I'm sorry to say.

On the bright side, though. The site is up, running, and works quite well. On top of that, it's free, give or take a few brain cells we all use on it daily.

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

Thank you very much.

That's very helpful.

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 01:00 PM
link   

a reply to: DISRAELI

I would also like to see:

corrected, but with that one I'm not so bothered because I have the power to fix it myself before I send the alert.

Hey, you're right, here in Canada, we say ABOOT...

Ok, all jokes aside, I never noticed the wrong comma placement or the aboout mistake, so...good sense of observation but as others have said, I would assume that the Overlord has other priorities.

Lots of glitches to be fixed since the last upgrade, one that I often see is that if I look under my avatar, at times, it will mention that I was on ATS 5 minutes ago...while I'm still logged on... lol...

No biggie. Really..

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 01:10 PM
link   

You know, speaking of that, there is another convention that varies in different countries and it's a real problem.

My understanding is that in UK:

04/10/45 means October 4, 1945

But in the US:

April 10, 1945

No it doesn't mean October 4th, that's how Americans say it, we say 4th of October.

That comma is annoying and should be a full stop to indicate the shortening of August to Aug.

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: djz3ro
I think I disagree with this.
The real distinction is that we Britsh say either "October THE fourth" or "THE fourth of October", whereas Americans tend to drop the "The".

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 01:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: SonoftheSun
Lots of glitches to be fixed since the last upgrade, one that I often see is that if I look under my avatar, at times, it will mention that I was on ATS 5 minutes ago...while I'm still logged on..

Yes, and have you noticed how often that is triggered by posting something (or preparing to post something)?
Many fresh posts are made by people who allegedly left ATS five minutes before posting

edit on 3-8-2014 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Some things cannot be unseen. Thanks Mary Rose!

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 01:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: djz3ro
No it doesn't mean October 4th, that's how Americans say it, we say 4th of October.

Now I understand why this is.

Makes perfect sense.

Knowing this, maybe when the whole world is trying to communicate, it would be helpful to use 04/Oct/45 or something like that?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join