It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Genesis 1:26 An interesting verse that is easy to debate over

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 05:34 AM
link   
Okay so when reading the Genesis you come across a verse that'll make you scratch your head. Or you'll miss the subtlety entirely and keep reading. Here's the verse:
“Let us make man in our image, after our likeness. And let them have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over the livestock and over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.” Genesis 1:26

So who's "us" and "our"?
I have a strong opinion as to that question, but I would like to see what others think first. Please let's keep this civil because I'm deployed at the moment and have little patience for arguing. Also if we can have people who believe in the Bible 100%. Cant wait to see what y'all have to say. God Bless!

Also I didn't search for this because I'd like a fresh discussion.
edit on 3-8-2014 by Wanderer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 06:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Wanderer777

You have to remember that Genesis has been taken from a number of ancient myths. It was concocted to give people an idea of where they came from and who made them. The plural was so established that it couldn't be taken away despite the persistence of the idea that there were a number of equal beings chatting amonst themselves about creating 'man' in order to work and be in charge of the world for them. Then those who set the bible up with its stories decided they were the ones given God's authority to rule over the rest of us as it appears to be today.

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 06:04 AM
link   
It is an inconsistency within a STORY full of inconsistencies that were rarely questioned by the those who blindly follow those who preach it.

Apart from that maybe the Vatican can show you its secret room of extraterrestrial contact.
edit on rd1407063978504CDT-0500-05:001AM by subtopia because: .

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 06:23 AM
link   

"So who's "us" and "our"?
I have a strong opinion as to that question, but I would like to see what others think first. Please let's keep this civil because I'm deployed at the moment and have little patience for arguing. Cant wait to see what y'all have to say. God Bless!"

For me, I was raised in a baptist family so was taught as a child to believe it was God and Jesus or the Holy Spirit.

I am 64 and do not believe that philosophy after my journey to now. I have read many theories and other religion's philosophies. I think the ancient alien theory is the closest to the truth. I think Adam and Eve were visited by advanced beings who gave them law, farming knowledge, astrology, geometry for building structures, and how to use fire for other than just cooking and warmth. They were the beginning of an agrarian society instead of sporadic bands of foragers. I believe we go through cycles of civilizations and natural cataclysmic events. These aliens help us for some reason to start over. Maybe they don't like our planet but they do like humans.

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 06:25 AM
link   
a reply to: subtopia

Haha. Okay I should have probably added that if you believe in the Bible 100% like I do what do you think. I know what nearly every average Bible haters or scrutinizers will say. But I personally do not believe in aliens. I appreciate your input though. Thank you and God Bless.

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 06:39 AM
link   

"Okay I should have probably added that if you believe in the Bible 100% like I do what do you think. I know what nearly every average Bible haters or scrutinizers will say."

Yes, you should have revealed this personality from the beginning.
Thank you and God Bless.

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 06:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wanderer777

Haha. Okay I should have probably added that if you believe in the Bible 100% like I do what do you think. I know what nearly every average Bible haters or scrutinizers will say. But I personally do not believe in aliens. I appreciate your input though. Thank you and God Bless.

Thats a bit of a presumption, I am far from a bible 'hater' yet I do try to encourage my capacity for self-conscious reasoning which tells me that when I cant claim to know the truth due to the lack of facts then I can still believe in the stories told over many generations that have guided the thoughts feelings and conscience of billions for over a thousand years.

Thank-you and may the light of reason guide you towards the truth you seek.
edit on rd1407067007539CDT-0500-05:001AM by subtopia because: .

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 07:06 AM
link   

I didn't mean to be presumptuous that's why I said the average person that hates the Bible or dismisses it completely. I apologize if I offended you. But it's just 90% of the time anything Christian gets posted on this site it is bashed beyond all measure.

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 07:15 AM
link   

There is one word that can answer your question: Elohim.

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 07:18 AM
link   

Oh oh oh me me me!

*raises hand*

I know where this is going:

But yeah. What about the trinity?

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 07:22 AM
link   

I didn't mean to be presumptuous that's why I said the average person that hates the Bible or dismisses it completely. I apologize if I offended you. But it's just 90% of the time anything Christian gets posted on this site it is bashed beyond all measure.

Thanks for the clarity, I appreciate your reply, hope you find the answer you need.

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 07:32 AM
link   
a reply to: DeadSeraph

Well the way I look at it is this. There's no real mention of Jesus or the Holy Ghost being created then.
It is my belief that the image we are created from is the freewill aspect. The only other being with freewill at that time was Satan. If he didn't have freewill then he could not have revolted against God.

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Thank you but I found my answers a few years ago. Back when I was living in the woods I had the proof I was searching for. Chasing down the truth was very difficult but then the truth found me.

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Interesting dichotomy you've pointed out there. How could Satan be the only angel with the free will to rebel if he took angels with him? It's clear within Christian theology that he did so, so therefore Angels must have free will as well, or at least possess it insomuch as they are not automatons incapable of making decisions, but subject to the same fates we are (although privy to more information, as the case would seem).

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 07:50 AM
link   

"us" and "our" is one of the first references to the Trinity.

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 08:06 AM
link   
He could simply be using the royal "We" as He is the trinity.

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 08:55 AM
link   
I believe that it is in reference to the Trinity ; the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.

Micah 5:2 But thou, Bethlehem Ephratah, though thou be little among the thousands of Judah, yet out of thee shall he come forth unto me that is to be ruler in Israel; whose goings forth have been from of old, from everlasting.

John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

1 John 5:7 For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.

Revelation 1:8 I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty.

I don't see how it could be interpreted in any other way.
edit on 3-8-2014 by graphuto because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Well Satan was in charge of the worshiping angels which was at least a third of the sum total of all the angels. It would make sense that a worshiping angel would have freewill.

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Well Satan was in charge of the worshiping angels which was at least a third of the sum total of all the angels. It would make sense that a worshiping angel would have freewill.

Yet Michael opposed him, and wasn't of the same order of angels if tradition is to be believed. We also have accounts of the Nephilim that would seem to indicate angels had a great degree of free will.

Interesting to consider a being that could be in the very presence of God, creator of the very universe, and yet forsake that inheritance. It poses fascinating philosophical questions I'm not sure we are equipped to answer when we consider the level of intelligence angels are said to possess.
edit on 3-8-2014 by DeadSeraph because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 09:04 AM
link   

God is speaking to the angels in this verse of Genesis, all of them, before Lucifer's Fall. Lucifer considered himself and was considered by GOD to be the perfect creation, and then GOD made man, and favored man to be more perfect, at least that is how the story is told.

The Bible has been influenced by GOD, Angels, Fallen Angels (including Satan), Jesus, the Holy Spirit, and Man.

Or, just man, but I personally believe in GOD, but not necessarily the entire Bible.

I also believe in Man. The Bible is a great guide for some, but ultimately, we do not need it, for faith and love come from within.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join