It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tougher Anti Rape laws leading to alarming rise false cases in India

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 12:25 AM
link   

timesofindia.indiatimes.com...

NEW DELHI: Fears have been expressed that strengthening of the law against sexual offenses after the Nirbhaya case has also led to an increase in false cases. Now, there's some evidence to support this claim

While in 2012, the acquittal rate in rape cases was 46%, in the first eight months of 2013 (for which exact figures are available) it shot up to 75%. Sources said acquittals remain high this year as well, accounting for around 70% of the cases.

It's sad but true. Registration of false cases is rampant and hence, the alarming acquittal rate. The new law is being misused because of the widened definition of rape.

In around 90% of acquittal cases, the victim turns hostile. Mostly, it turns out to be a case of a relationship gone bad. The sex is consensual but the victim claims that the consent was given on account of promise of marriage

Worried over the disturbing trend of false complaints, even fast track courts trying cases of sexual offenses have been raising concerns over the matter. In July last year, while acquitting a 75-year-old man of the charges of raping his maid, a fast track court observed that the capital has earned the notoriety of India's rape capital because of the increase in false rape cases being registered in the city. The alleged victim in this case had admitted that she registered the case because she wanted to usurp the accused's property.

I was well aware , there were a number of false cases , but 75% is rather startling . This is applicable only in Urban India , things in Rural India are still bad but improving none the less. Either way , i would like ATS to put down their views on the matter ...
edit on 3-8-2014 by maddy21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Promising someone marriage for sex is a form of sexual co-ercian, it isn't consent if it is dishonest. I doubt it's illegal though.

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 02:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: twfau
Promising someone marriage for sex is a form of sexual co-ercian, it isn't consent if it is dishonest. I doubt it's illegal though.

No kidding I was thinking the same thing. People lie before sex all the time in the rest of the world. What is India's problem? They are causing this issue.

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 03:10 AM
link   
deleted
edit on 3-8-2014 by maddy21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 06:50 AM
link   
a reply to: maddy21

The act of rape is almost always hard to prove. Given the lack of sophistication in much of India, I can well imagine that the acquittals were based largelly on "She said.... He said..." testimony. My reference to "lack of sophistication for the most part covers the social mores (or not) of the country in personal views on certain classes of folk in that society and the views of officials up and down the ranks from the village policeman to deciding judges.

In the US, it is coming to light that colleges and universities across the nation are failing to act on reports of rape. The obviously don't want the publicity and work to keep the crimes out of the news. In some instances when a sports player was the guilty one, the matter was turned over to that department to investigate and for appropriate action. --Guess what....

Last week two female Congresswomen were on the news explaining their push for a new bill to force these institutions, if nothing else, to enforce the normal laws that cover that crime.

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 07:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aliensun
a reply to: maddy21

The act of rape is almost always hard to prove. Given the lack of sophistication in much of India, I can well imagine that the acquittals were based largelly on "She said.... He said..." testimony. My reference to "lack of sophistication for the most part covers the social mores (or not) of the country in personal views on certain classes of folk in that society and the views of officials up and down the ranks from the village policeman to deciding judges.

In the US, it is coming to light that colleges and universities across the nation are failing to act on reports of rape. The obviously don't want the publicity and work to keep the crimes out of the news. In some instances when a sports player was the guilty one, the matter was turned over to that department to investigate and for appropriate action. --Guess what....

Last week two female Congresswomen were on the news explaining their push for a new bill to force these institutions, if nothing else, to enforce the normal laws that cover that crime.

India isn't as backward as you believe or as the western media would want you to believe, we aren't talking about village folks taking decisions , the justice system in this country has progressed quiet a bit for the last 60 years, and for each and every rape case medical analysis is done ...Indian culture and society is different in every state . The Justice system in India uses hard evidence nothing more , nothing less .. there are no social or cultural issues which effect such decision making. So these statistics provided is credible .This report that you see is especially from Urban India , the higher middle and Rich class .

There is another act in India called the Dowry act. Which is also another law which is misused a lot for personal gains or for act of revenge .

top topics

join