It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Open Source ‘Solar Pocket Factory’ Can 3D Print A Solar Panel Every 15 Seconds

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Source..

The factory is small enough to fit on a desktop and efficient enough to produce 300k to one million panels per year, up to one every 15 seconds. By cutting out much of the labor intensive process, which represents 50% of the total cost, this machine can dramatically reduce the price of solar. Their pocket solar panel producer can change the way the world views electricity.

Well, thats impressive. Is this a game changer?

P.S. - I don't know anything about energy so please feel free to debunk and educate.

edit on 8/2/2014 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 08:50 PM
link   
You don't print out solar panels. It requires 6N purity silicone, and that's not being done in your backyard.

This is attempting to take out one chink in the assembly process.

Still cool, but not really a game changer.

The assembly process will naturally be automated once labor becomes too expensive for the process.

It's not as if there's anything new about this assembly that isn't done elsewhere in industry.

No game changer.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 08:57 PM
link   
a reply to: pl3bscheese

I'm awaiting a counter to your post by someone far more educated on this subject then myself.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 09:20 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion
pl3bscheese is correct.
It is all explained in the video.
The inventors creation is designed to reduce the cost of labor making small solar panels affordable to tinkers, inventors, and common folks.
PS I studied solar engineering during the Carter administration. Then the Republicans took over and the whole solar thing fizzled (circa 1977-78)

edit on 2-8-2014 by grubblesnert because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-8-2014 by grubblesnert because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-8-2014 by grubblesnert because: typing on my lap with old glasses on and other distractions

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 09:50 PM
link   
I have no clue if this will be cost effective or not. Like someone said, this is part of the process, not the whole process.

This may be able to save a little labor which will then bring down the cost of the panels a little.
edit on 2-8-2014 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 10:10 PM
link   
I know nothing about this stuff...but to me the obvious answer to energy issues has always been to pursue solar more.

I mean - think about it, we have a literal unlimited power supply aka The Sun right there above our heads. If they can figure out how to better harness that energy, you'd think we'd be golden. But then again what do I know?

I guess cost is an issue....even though we waste trillions and frivolous things everyday...

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 10:24 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

This is awesome, green energy? ssign me up!

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 05:37 AM
link   
I like the ideal of solar energy but for somewhere like the uk witch is covered by cloud most of the time is it viable

Now wind or tidal energy is better I think for here so we need an open source ideal for that and on that's quiet

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 06:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Thefarmer

"Open source" just means the design of something is freely available for use. Tidal (and to a lesser extent, wind) energy generation isn't so much hindered by "closed-source" but by non-trivial (read: expensive to implement and maintain) engineering problems. Open-source isn't going to help here, I'm afraid.

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 07:50 AM
link   
a reply to: GetHyped

I thought open source ment that it's out there for anyone to tinker with and improve and disprove others ideals

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 08:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: grubblesnert
PS I studied solar engineering during the Carter administration. Then the Republicans took over and the whole solar thing fizzled (circa 1977-78)

The entire Carter administration had overwhelming Democratic majorities in both the House and Senate. Bills that Carter was not in favor of did not get passed due to him alienating his own party.

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 03:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Thefarmer

Right, but "open source" tidal power won't exactly help as it's not the design that's the problem but the massive engineering costs associated with it.

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 10:01 PM
link   
I saw a show on discovery or some such a couple of years ago where some guy was trying to invent a new ink. I can't remember what he was trying to achieve, but it kept giving him problems with his goal. For some reason, he attached a voltmeter and discovered that the ink when printed on a plastic sheet was producing electricity. Did anyone here see it and remember what the show was? I have forgotten and would love to know what came of that work.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 01:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dough88
I saw a show on discovery or some such a couple of years ago where some guy was trying to invent a new ink. I can't remember what he was trying to achieve, but it kept giving him problems with his goal. For some reason, he attached a voltmeter and discovered that the ink when printed on a plastic sheet was producing electricity. Did anyone here see it and remember what the show was? I have forgotten and would love to know what came of that work.

I dont know, but it might have been static electricity perhaps?

new topics

top topics

join