It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Guardians of the Galaxy movie review!!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Oh my goodness you guys. If you like Marvel comics, or sci-fi in general, go see this movie. Now most of this is my opinion because I'm a rabid Marvel fan, but this movie has everything.

Visual wise: Overdone on the cgi as usual, but still very wonderful graphics. They could have rendered Rocket raccoon's fur better...that's small potatoes compared to the wonderful space shots.

Acting: Very good. They picked quite a motley crew, but it worked surprisingly well. First we have Chris Pratt as Peter Quill/Star-Lord. Some of you might remember him as the goofball on Parks and Recreation, he also voiced Emmett in Lego Movie. He did such a superb job at combining comedy and serious business, while still being a good developed character. Zoe Saldana and Bautista (of MMA) were also perfect cast for Gamora and Drax the Destroyer respectively. Vin Diesel as Groot really tickled me because it harkened back to when he played the Robot in The Iron Giant. I wasn't too impressed by Bradley Cooper's portrayal as Rocket, I just didn't feel like he had the character down. Rocket is a little furry psychopath....I wish they could have stuck with David Tennant as they did in the beginning, that man has his cray down.

Lee Pace (Thranduil from Hobbit, Pushing Up Daisies) nailed Ronan the Punisher. He made me believe that he was a warmongering Kree bent on destroying a inferior planet, who signed a treaty with more friendly factions of the empire. (much like a certain Israeli man by the name of Ben
) Also, I believe he is quite an underrated actor.

Glenn Close played Nova Prime, the leader of the planet that Ronan wants to destroy. She was alright for the few scenes she was in, although the last time i saw her in a film, she was Cruella DeVil.

Surprising casting choice: Karen Gillan (Amy Pond from Doctor Who) as Nebula, Gamora's "sister". I mainly know her as the bossy red head to Matt Smith's Doctor, she plays a cold hearted android daughter of Thanos, who is helping Ronan. She did very well in that role...fun fact: she actually shaved her head instead of wearing a bald cap.

Story: Much better than recent movies I have seen due to one factor: NO ROMANCE SHOEHORNED INTO THE PLOT. Sure there was some flirting between Star-Lord and Gamora, but their relationship is strictly professional.

The sound track was wonderful, mostly music from the 70's and 80's, which plays into the plot very well (and you old timers might like that too instead of garbage what kids listen to today)

All and all, Guardians of the Galaxy is the must see movie of the summer, and definitely one of the best you will ever see.
And don't forget to stay after the credits for a special surprise...

edit on 2-8-2014 by TheToastmanCometh because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Gunna take my son to see this sometime during the school holidays and I think I'm more excited about seeing it than him haha

Thanks for the review

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 06:49 PM
link   
I saw the movie last night and thought it was a very good movie.

I don't like some of the intense CGI and battle scenes, seems there's just too much going on to follow at one time on the screen but that's probably just me and that is a problem I have with ALL the newer movies. Transformer movies are the worst for me in this area.

I am a Marvel fan and have read and collected comics for over 30 years so I really enjoyed seeing characters on screen you wouldn't normally see.

I think it's one of the better movies I have seen in years and would see it again.

Lot's of laughs in the movie along with everything else.

I would recommend it to anyone who like the genre.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Super Hero Fantasy - Not SciFi.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 07:31 PM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

So, Han solo flying around the galaxy shooting a blaster and fighting aliens is Sci-fi

But Star Lord flying around the galaxy shooting a futuristic gun and fighting aliens is Super hero Fantasy?

What's the difference?

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 07:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: FyreByrd
Super Hero Fantasy - Not SciFi.

What? FyreByrd MANY of the concepts in the film are SciFi, in fact the whole Marvel Movie concept is heavily contributed to by the U.S Army with the embedding of future concepts both factual and misleading.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 07:39 PM
link   
a reply to: TheToastmanCometh

I just saw it recently, I have to say the movie remind me so much of Star Wars. The main characters seem to have some similarities with Han Solo and plus it's really funny lol. Also this is my favorite Marvel Movie of all time.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 09:14 PM
link   

The movie was truly entertaining...took my two sons to see it and unfortunately for them I laughed a lot louder than they did...fantastic summer family movie...!!!!!

Not sure how the other super hero movies will intertwine but I'm looking forward to the next one...both genders will enjoy it..

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 11:08 PM
link   
a reply to: mwood

Weird aliens is sci-fi. Weird takeoffs on the human/animal/plant form is fantasy.
Generally,
edit on 2-8-2014 by Aliensun because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 11:53 PM
link   

A lot of fun, regardless of whether you call it a romance, adventure, SciFi or fantasy.

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 02:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: mwood
a reply to: FyreByrd

So, Han solo flying around the galaxy shooting a blaster and fighting aliens is Sci-fi

But Star Lord flying around the galaxy shooting a futuristic gun and fighting aliens is Super hero Fantasy?

What's the difference?

I'll reply with Issac Asimov's answer to the question because he is way smarter than me.

The world of science fiction and fantasy is rich and varied. Often lumped together under the catchall term "speculative fiction," these two distinct genres encompass a number of sub-genres. Many who don't read sf/f are unaware that the two though close kin are very different. Isaac Asimov, once asked to explain the difference between science fiction and fantasy, replied that science fiction, given its grounding in science, is possible; fantasy, which has no grounding in reality, is not.

Taken from: www.sfsite.com...

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 07:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

I still would argue that it is science fiction.

The tree (Groot) and the "Raccoon" (Rocket) and the Green chick (Gamora) are all alien species from their own perspective planets.

We can't assume that all alien will be human types, they could be anything, any shape or any form.

Aliens could live on other planets that look like pink elephants that walk upright on 3 legs and speak through their butts. Who knows?

It seems like scientifically any type of life could evolve in a different environment than earth so the 3 aliens in the movie could be plausible on other planets / solar systems. Or not, I'm not a scientist.

X-men, Fantastic four and the Hulk I would call "fantasy". Iron man would be science fiction....just my opinion.
edit on 3-8-2014 by mwood because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 08:52 PM
link   
I saw the movie on Friday. Loved it. I wasn't sure if I was going to like Chris Pratt in the lead, but I think he killed it. Great performance. I'd watch him in another one.

In the post credits though, there was an unexpected cameo by this dashing mallard:

Could that mean a possible spin-off and remake of a childhood classic?

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Went to see it tonight and my girlfriend and I both loved it. Great summer movie. Was better than I expected in many ways; the 3D was good, the effects were good, lots of action, lots of laughs.

I would recommend it to anyone wishing for a good 2 hours of entertainment. Will definitely see the sequel.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 03:01 PM
link   
a reply to: allenidaho

Oh no spoilers!

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 06:19 AM
link   

Took my girls to see this tonight, and thoroughly enjoyed it. I think it's been a a long time since there has been one of those far-out full on sci-fi style movies, and this just nailed it on so many levels. Plus the music and the overall flow of the film were spot on.

I actually had to disagree to a degree with the analysis of Rocket though, I thought the character was very true to form, in a way he kind of made the movie really, with his attitude towards the others and in general. (Just my .02 though
)

Definetely recommend this to anyone to spend the money and go see it on the big screen.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 07:29 AM
link   
The good news is 'Guardians of the Galaxy' is the summer's biggest blockbuster.

The bad news is 'Guardians of the Galaxy' is this summer's biggest blockbuster.

Next to nothing of originality here.

Just a whole lotta money spent copying 'Galaxy Quest, 'Star Wars' and 'Raiders of the Lost Ark'.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 08:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Psynic

They copied a satire of Star Trek?

Uhh no..

Pretty hard to be completely original these days, but at least guardians went against the Hollywood grain..

No big name stars: Zoe Saldana is the biggest name in the movie, she's great but she's no Robert Downey Jnr.

No big director: James Gunn is known for indie films, not summer blockbusters.

Not a reboot: rebooting a franchise is all the rage at the moment, there may be plots or concepts that are similar to other films, but the overall film is new and original.

In summary, obviously you're not gonna please everyone, but at the end of the day, guardians went against what a typical Hollywood movie does and was/is succesful.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 09:36 PM
link   
I just got back from the movie and I am so glad I decided to watch it rather than something else. It had me laughing and in anticipation much of the way through it.

Crazy raccoon wanting objects for no reason kind of like a real raccoon.

My favorite line involved a black light. I won't give it away but for those who have seen it you have to admit that was funny.

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 05:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

Wny am i predicting a rise in 'tame' raccoon sales?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join