It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Iran Claims Mightiest Navy In Region; Soon to Join World Nuke Club

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 08:15 PM
link   
In a Friday prayer session at Tehran University, prayer leader Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani said that no other country in the region could rival Iran's navy. He pointed out that even during the Iraq war that they were able to maintain coastal security in the Persian Gulf. In other statements he stressed that Iran is soon expected to join the club of world powers with nuclear industries, and again reassuring that the IAEA deal was a success.

www.iran-daily.com
TEHRAN, Dec. 3--Tehran's substitute Friday prayers leader, Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani, said no other force in the region could ever rival the might of the Iranian Navy in the region.
Addressing thousands of worshipers who had gathered at Tehran University's campus for the prayers, Rafsanjani pointed out that even during the days of the Iraq-imposed war, the Iranian Navy managed to provide and maintain security in the Persian Gulf the coast of which contains rich oil and gas resources, including the South Pars region, which holds 10 percent of the world's gas resources.

Commenting on nuclear issues, Rafsanjani said Iran is expected to join the club of world states owning nuclear industries soon. He emphasized that Tehran will never forsake its legal and international right to gain access to nuclear technology for peaceful purposes.
The substitute prayers leader further said Iran has agreed to suspend its uranium enrichment activities for a certain period of time--not to exceed six months--to assure the IAEA about the peaceful nature of its nuclear activities.
"I offer the world the assurance that Tehran is not pursuing nuclear arms, but will not forsake its absolute right," he said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

So, mightiest navy in the region, huh? What do our military analysts at ATS have to say about that? As to his statement about Persian Gulf security during the Iraq war, we weren't exactly aiming at Iran, were we? What security was there to provide?

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Iran's promise: '80 seconds of hell'
Reality Hammer - Iran will have nukes

[edit on 3-12-2004 by Banshee]

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Funny part of this is they never even got a ship as strong as the Kidd class, in which THEY ordered but never got and we have already decommed them and/ot transferred to Taiwan.

Great Navy?

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Maybe Iran was referring to the Iraq-Iran war? Regardless they said the best in the region not the world. Of course the U.S. navy would eat them alive like a shark does to a wounded fish. However, do we know if Qatar, Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, Syria, Israel, Pakistan, Turkey, Oman, Yemen, Oman, Lebanon, or Kuwait have any navy forces that can compete? I personally do not know nor at the moment have the time or curiosity to find out. But it would be an interesting project for one of our military analysts to look into to talk about in the military threads.

Sep

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by DYepes
Maybe Iran was referring to the Iraq-Iran war? Regardless they said the best in the region not the world. Of course the U.S. navy would eat them alive like a shark does to a wounded fish. However, do we know if Qatar, Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, Syria, Israel, Pakistan, Turkey, Oman, Yemen, Oman, Lebanon, or Kuwait have any navy forces that can compete? I personally do not know nor at the moment have the time or curiosity to find out. But it would be an interesting project for one of our military analysts to look into to talk about in the military threads.

I think only Israel can compete. and also this is from last saturday:

Text of report by Iranian radio on 28 November
At a ceremony in Bandar Abbas attended by the commander of the [regular] Navy three operational submarines built by our country's experts joined the naval fleet.

The midget submarine and the Tondar and Azarakhsh frigates will increase the defence capacity of the Navy in its surface and underwater operations.

At the ceremony, the commander of the [regular] Navy Rear-Adm Abbas Mohtaj said with the construction of the midget Qadir submarine the [regular] Navy now has the ability to have an exact operational presence everywhere.

The Navy commander reported that Qadir 2 and Qadir 3 will be launched within the next six months.

moaa.yellowbrix.com...

[edit on 3-12-2004 by Sep]

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 10:21 PM
link   
None of the other countries in that region seem to pour much money into their navy. They seem to have a much larger focus on air power and ground power. Its not like tanks from any of those countries cant reach anywhere in the middle east.

So if Iran wants the best Navy in the middle east I dont think it will be hard.

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 10:38 PM
link   
'pop' 'pop'
Two bubbles popped.

The Gulf War Rafsanjani refers to was NOT Gulf 1 US/Iraq

Rafsanjani pointed out that even during the days of the Iraq-imposed war

The navy they do have at the present time may very well be the most powerful in the Gulf. Does the U.S. still maintain carriers OUTSIDE the straights?

`` The Iranian navy is a navy to be reckoned with,'' said Rear Adm. Charles W. Moore, Jr., commander of the two U.S. aircraft carrier battle groups in the Gulf. ``I'm very impressed with them.''

Though much updating remains to be done, Iran took delivery early last year of its third Kilo-class submarine from Russia. It also has modified some patrol boats to carry the Chinese-made C-802 anti-shipping missile, which flies low to avoid radar detection. Experts believe Iran also has about 100 shore-to-ship Silkworm missiles, also made in China.

So- hmmm

I would pass a spoon so that American hubris could be eaten easier but when I push 'send' nothing happens.

*edit to add:
Is this a third bubble?

The substitute prayers leader further said Iran has agreed to suspend its uranium enrichment activities for a certain period of time--not to exceed six months--to assure the IAEA about the peaceful nature of its nuclear activities.
"I offer the world the assurance that Tehran is not pursuing nuclear arms, but will not forsake its absolute right,"

No nukes in this story.

[edit on 3-12-2004 by JoeDoaks]

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 11:05 PM
link   
JoeD, Hmm, you might be right, I might have interpreted this as the wrong war. And if they DO have the strongest navy, then you answered my question, thanks

[edit on 3-12-2004 by TrueAmerican]

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 12:32 AM
link   
No problem- I do 'that' a lot.

Iran will be hell on earth should America:
invade,
peemptive nuke

As tough as Iraq is proving to be Iran will be 12 times worse. Mountains, a semi-united people, decent military.

I really hope this nuke thing gets settled out amicably.

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Many vague claims in this story:

mightiest naval power in the region: that could be the mightest naval force of floating bathtubs, until a few american destroyers and carriers move into the region, the iranians do however have a good amount of medium range missiles that could attack ships near the strait of Hormuz....

catchy headline speaks of nukes, where are the nukes in this story?

The usual chestthumping....

[edit on 4-12-2004 by Countermeasures]

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by edsinger
Funny part of this is they never even got a ship as strong as the Kidd class, in which THEY ordered but never got and we have already decommed them and/ot transferred to Taiwan.

Great Navy?

Gotta love them destroyers!!!
I am currently working on some naval artwork featuring the USS Kidd. Let us all hope Iran NEVER gets nuclear. They are not mature enough to handle nuclear weapons and would use them out of hate rather than for defense.

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by groingrinder

Originally posted by edsinger

Great Navy?

Gotta love them destroyers!!!
I am currently working on some naval artwork featuring the USS Kidd. Let us all hope Iran NEVER gets nuclear. They are not mature enough to handle nuclear weapons and would use them out of hate rather than for defense.

Iran has been arounf alot longer than the USA, I do not think Iran is the immature country.

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Whatever you say Kriz_4. Perhaps instead of immature, I should have said fanatical, crazy, deranged, or maybe just unable to play nicely with their neighbors.

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by groingrinder
Whatever you say Kriz_4. Perhaps instead of immature, I should have said fanatical, crazy, deranged, or maybe just unable to play nicely with their neighbors.

They play just fine. The only thing in recent history(hundreads years) was a war with Iraq, which by the way was started by Iraq. As for fanatical, crazy etc, thats just plain nonsense. You obviously know nothing about the country or 99% of the people who live there.

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 10:21 AM
link   
The problem I have with this article is three-fold:

1) "Region" is specified as being what? Gulf area or in the greater scope, the Indian Ocean? If it is strictly taking into account the Gulf area, the article may be correct. If they are talking the Indian Ocean, then the article is sadly mistaken and misleading.

2) Having the "mightiest" navy specifically means what? Iran has the most ships, the most advanced navy, the best trained personnel to man and maintain those ships? Personally, all the Iran navy has is a bunch of post cold war, out-of-date ships and their navy personnel lack any type credible training to facilitate a legit "best navy in the region" hype that this article is giving it. The Indian Navy alone, perhaps even including the Pakistani Navy, would mop up the Iranian navy in no time.

3) And the statement, which no one has yet addressed, is that "Iran will have nukes." *shakes head* Ignorance is bliss till a nuke lands in your backyard.....

seekerof

[edit on 4-12-2004 by Seekerof]

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
The problem I have with this article is three-fold:

1) "Region" is specified as being what? Gulf area or in the greater scope, the Indian Ocean? If it is strictly taking into account the Gulf area, the article may be correct. If they are talking the Indian Ocean, then the article is sadly mistaken and misleading.

The region=Persian Gulf, its the title of the article in the link.

2) Having the "mightiest" navy specifically means what? Iran has the most ships, the most advanced navy, the best trained personnel to man and maintain those ships? Personally, all the Iran navy has is a bunch of post cold war, out-of-date ships and their navy personnel lack any type credible training to facilitate a legit "best navy in the region" hype that this article is giving it. The Indian Navy alone, perhaps even including the Pakistani Navy, would mop up the Iranian navy in no time.

It is the best in the stated region, so I guess they can really say that.

3) And the statement, which no one has yet addressed, is that "Iran will have nukes." *shakes head* Ignorance is bliss till a nuke lands in your backyard.....

Didn't see that statement in the article anywhere

There is in no way that Iran will launch a nuke at ANYONE, without being ATTACKED FIRST. For a start they are peaceful, they do not have nukes and it does not seem they intend getting them. Even if they do, there is about as much chance of them firing one at the USA as there is the USA firing one at the UK.

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 10:54 PM
link   
I am new to the ATS membership so I hope this addition isn't found too boring for the discussion. Would it not be a possible scenario with the more open minded, younger/student population in Iran these days that the radical leadership is not so much to worry about? If memory serves me during their last big elections it was almost a majority change in government leaders who are of a more democratic style of thought. And though I don't feel in the long run of world events the US is any more mature in the use of nuclear weapons than any other country, democratic societies tend to keep peace and an economy as their main goals rather than dominating anyone. If Iran was bragging about it's navy keeping security well in the Persian Gulf that is a far cry from statements, or a show of force; more like possible defense. If my knowledge of current events needs re-education please let me know. Every persons thoughts are another piece to the puzzle of moments. Promise next time my reply won't be so long.

new topics

join