It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deep Purple. The only 70's Band that Didn't Suck in the 80's.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 06:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hoosierdaddy71
can we at least agree that 80s music sucked?

Aside from metal, yeah. It sucked. "I ran. I ran so far away". F that. Put a bullet in my head if we go back to that music.

There is hope with new tunes:

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 06:09 PM
link   
I liked 'The Stranglers' rather a lot in the 80's despite the dubious lyrics, the innocence of youth, I didn't know they were dubious.

How about Lou Reed?, not exactly a band but sort of Velvet Underground ish though I do prefer the earlier stuff.

edit on 2-8-2014 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Sell out or not...some of the tastyist rock and roll ever produced.

www.youtube.com...

and

www.youtube.com...

edit on 2-8-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 07:44 PM
link   
My first concert was Rush in 1984. They were pretty solid. Growing up in the 80s really did suck for music.

The only thing they sold out was their hair

edit on 2-8-2014 by ZetaRediculian because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 07:49 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

I disagree. I do not think Queen was a sell out, nor Pink Floyd, Supertramp, Rush (just to name a few)

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 07:58 PM
link   
a reply to: ZetaRediculian

My teenage years started mid 80's and I loved music all during the 80's and 90's, as well as the 60's and 70's stuff of parents / exbfs parents etc, I loved listening to U2, The Smiths, The Cult, Sugarcubes, The Waterboys, The Pixies, so much love for music back then, parties, concerts, guitarist bfs, it was great though in the UK so maybe a more alternative music scene to MSM US.

edit on 2-8-2014 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 08:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
have they put out any new music since Purple?

This is the latest new material that I know they put out. Just a year or two old now.

They're good, but I think their place in rock history is better.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 08:28 PM
link   
a reply to: theabsolutetruth

I loved listening to U2, The Smiths, The Cult, Sugarcubes, The Waterboys, The Pixies, so much love for music back then, parties, concerts, guitarist bfs, it was great though in the UK so maybe a more alternative music scene to MSM US.

I think in the US music was definitely much more on the commercial side. MTV really changed things. Bands like The Smiths and The Cult were seen much more as like punk or something. Alternative would be a better word but they were definitely the odd balls who listened to that! What we saw main stream was the Hair Spray metal bands and New Wave. U2 was definitely a nice change from that. By the time I was aware of some the bands you mentioned, I was already well absorbed into the Grateful Dead scene which picked up a ton of momentum at that time.
wtf?

It just made more sense

edit on 2-8-2014 by ZetaRediculian because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 09:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Hoosierdaddy71

80's music sucked??? How dare you sir...

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 09:47 PM
link   
What no Cream, yes or Chicago...
I'm going on record saying that Berry Manilow was a cool mother!

And even though I'm 40...and they were not of the 70's I'll take Megadeth any day....
Cheers..folks named a lot of great bands from the 70's!
All I like or loved.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 10:59 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Dio
Kiss
Journey
Warrant
Black Sabbath
Ozzy
Metallica
Def Leppard
Etc. Etc. Etc

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 12:15 AM
link   

You started off strong and ended with a whimper. If there is still time you should edit the OP and take out that faux Rainbow Slaves and Masters junk. While Joe Lynn Turner worked in Rainbow, he didn't in DP. I'm not knocking JLT either, just check out the boots of Over The Rainbow, where he sings Dio, Bonnet and White songs quite well.

My advice is to forget S&M ever happened. You will be a much happier man, even Zen-like. Trust me on this one. I'm a guy who even owns a S&M t-shirt(but it's hidden quite well in the back of the closet) so my DP fandom runs deep.

I would be remiss by not mentioning that you neglected The House Of Blue Light. While it deserves some of the flak it's gotten over the years it's got it's moments. I particularly like the odd Strangeways. A much different song sonically than any other Deep Purple tunes. Of course, the band was fighting(AGAIN!!!!) at this point so the album ended up a bit uneven, not unlike the situation with Who Do We Think We Are in the '70's, which created that sonic tripe S&M, then the record company made them boot JLT and get Ian back, which pissed Ritchie off even more so he melts down like a little baby and they have to call in Joe Satriani to save the tour.

It's really too bad Ritchie is, well, Ritchie, and can't get along with anyone but Candace. He seems to be happy doing renaissance faires, so good for him.

PS got it almost right. A little more keyboards than Hammond than I would have liked, but that's nitpicking. Sometimes good things come from experimenting, adding sounds, but it fell slightly flat on PS. More so on HOBL but I'll still defend Strangeways. KAYBD is one of Ritchie's greatest solos ever but the highlight of PS, for me, is the track not on the album, Son Of Alerik. Jon Lord's Hammond on that one makes me weep.

Now it's Steve Morse and Don Airey. After just a few listens to Now What? Airey kills it, channeling Lord Hammond like I've never heard. Should be a treat, even if Ian can't sing as well as he did in days of yore, on Aug. 15 here. Free show in downtown Las Vegas. I've only been down there when local cover type bands were playing and it's a blasst(even if the bands suck). Loads of people partying down there should make it a memorable event.

Back on topic for a moment. There is one band that didn't suck in the '80's - Rush. Even when they suck, they don't suck. Even if Geddy did have a raccoon on his head, they still didn't suck. It's just not possible for Rush to suck in this universe. I'm sure some Rush geek out there who is a physicist could explain the mathematics but it's statistically impossible for Rush to suck. They even get better with age, as Clockwork Angels is one of their best. And that is saying a lot.

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 07:11 AM
link   
There were definitely some good bands in the 80's. The Rolling Stones, David Bowie...
Lets pretend this didn't happen.

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Saw Deep Purple in the early 80's on that Perfect Strangers tour in Australia. Great concert. They introduced a guy " George" from Liverpool who turned out to be George Harrison of course who played a song with them on stage. One of the best performances I have ever seen.

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 07:28 AM
link   
a reply to: dollukka
Thanks so much for these clips! I was a big UFO fan.

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 09:14 AM
link   
a reply to: grumpy64

You got lucky. There were incidents in Adelaide and Auckland right before that gig. Some troublemakers stirring up crap but as far as I know didn't affect the shows as most were inside when the crap began. Nothing new for this band as they had been causing riots since the early '70's with my hometown included as one that had people smash things up because Purple decided to not play.

I finally took the few seconds to look this incident up. Here's the scoop.

Now rock shows would be alternated between three promoters equally. Naseef having the first show and Schivo the second event in the Rotunda. But fate was lurking dark for Schivo as he attended the Naseef backed Rock concert blockbuster with Deep Purple, Fleetwood Mac and Rory Gallager. Gallager's set astonished Las Vegas and Fleetwood Mac performance did the same. Schivo watched attentively as the stage did not seem to be setting up for the English headliner Deep Purple. Instead all equipment on the stage was being removed quickly, creating an odd and ominous set of circumstances that would follow.

"Las Vegas throat" had affected many singers in Las Vegas over the years, causing them loss of voice due to the dryness of the desert when they had been touring in different climates. But it had never claimed a big rock event. Ian Gillan, lead singer for Deep Purple, was stricken badly and could not sing. Backstage negotiations were trying to be made while the other acts play on, to hold the event the next night in the Rotunda. This apparently was not possible due to some scheduling conflicts. Naseefs front man for the concert Bob Jasper an inexperienced upstart told the capacity crowd of Gillan's dilemma and added that the Management of the Las Vegas Convention Center "would not allow the concert to be re-scheduled", saying such in a tone that over- excited 7000 rock fans who became unruly and rioted inside the Rotunda.

Schivo saw all of his efforts to gain a bigger piece of the action dashed against the rocks as the fans threw chairs everywhere, broke windows, ripped up portions of the sprinkler system on the lawn and over turned a police car.

Las Vegas hit the big time on national television and newspapers across the country and rock concerts were outlawed for a period of time at the Convention Center. A rock concert committee was reformed to study the problem. But only led to the strictest Rock Concert Policy at any concert venue in America. A posting of the entire gross potential in cash or bond amounting to around $75,000 would be necessary to do business before any tickets could be sold for an event at the Convention Center. No bondsman were very interested in writing a bond with the recent history of a riot and dealing with the overall controversy of Rock Concerts generally. In addition 43 off duty Metro Police officers at time and a half, were required at any show no matter how small the attendance. These and other new rules skyrocketed the costs of doing business at the Convention Center. In addition some of these rock rules would also effect the big venue in Reno where there was also a vibrant concert business to be enjoyed but also controlled by Naseef. That monopoly too would later be broken by Schivo and provided Schivo his solid platform to challenge and compete show to show with Naseef both in Las Vegas and Reno.

There's not much rioting going on here. Some fools did it a few years back at a Motley Crue show and there was a show by The Kinks back in '83'(or that's the year I'm told by our local rag, who recently did a article on the show for some odd reason but my ticket was taken by security so I don't know if that's true or not) that almost got out of control, or seemed to from my young perspective. Fortunately that ended up well(was a great show to boot).

So. There's that useless knowledge.

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 09:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
And I'm a Queen fan

OMG ... you just admitted in public that you are a Queen fan?
I don't know anyone who has ever done that before. WOW, that's brave.
Other than Deep Purple we have Skynyrd, Aerosmith, AC/DC, Blue Oyster Cult, Van Halen, Zepplen .... the Rolling Stones.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 12:02 AM
link   

I agree.

80's music pretty much sucked for the most part. A lot of bands sold out to the pop-MTV crap that we're still being bombarded with to this day. Funny thing is, we now see a lot of them trying to get back to their original music roots.

Most of the decade was one-hit wonders... no surprise there.

But there were still a few true blue musicians that stuck to their guns, managed to survive, and hung in there through the pain and suffering induced by the "decade that everyone wants to forget"...

Some off the top of my head:

Deep Purple
Motorhead
Bob Seger
Tom Petty
Pink Floyd
Eric Clapton
Joe Cocker
Nazareth
Supertramp

And of course the blues greats:

Muddy Waters
BB King
Johnny Lee Hooker
Van Morrison

But you're right, it's pretty hard to think of bands/musicians that didn't sell out.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join