It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NC Diner Offers 15 Percent Discount For ‘Praying In Public’ Over Meal

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I hope this helps the business stay profitable during a tough economic time. I don't see anything wrong with this, I think it's great.

It's an interesting marketing ploy and what does it hurt if people say a prayer or blessing thanking their God/Goddess/Gods for their food. I'm not a Christian and it wouldn't matter to me whom you prayed to. The only thing I would protest would be if someone were to admonish another patron for not doing it.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 12:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: pennydrops

originally posted by: skunkape23
My religion requires that I paint my ass blue and stand on my head during prayer. I don't think it's worth dealing with the cops to get .75 cents off of a burger.

What religion is that?

I am an ordained minister of the Church of the Subgenius.
I pretty much just make up the rules as I go.
No hot dogs on Tuesday.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 12:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cuervo
I wonder if this applies to Muslims and other non-Christians.

From the looks of the decor, you might actually feel right at home...

There is clearly no separation of church and plate at Mary's Gourmet Diner in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. The pious ("pie"-us?) proof has been delivered unto the social media masses in the form of a picture of a receipt from the restaurant, showing a 15% discount applied for "Praying in Public." The tab belonged to Jordan Smith, who had traveled to Winston-Salem for a business trip and stopped for breakfast at Mary's with two colleagues Wednesday morning.

She tells HLN the group "prayed over our meal and the waitress came over at the end of the meal and said, 'Just so you know, we gave you a 15% discount for praying,' which I'd never seen before." Impressed, Smith shared a photo of the receipt on her Facebook page. A mutual friend then posted the pic on the page of Orlando Christian radio station Z88.3 and it's taken off from there, being shared more than 1,700 times as of Thursday afternoon. www.hlntv.com...

edit on 2-8-2014 by Murgatroid because: I felt like it..

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 12:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bone75

originally posted by: ArnoldNonymous

And as for your cited scriptures. Praying in public is not a sin. Praying in public and yelling on street corners to get the attention from others to appear holy is the sin.

But isn't that the whole point of the discount... to draw attention by appearing holy?

Cant you just see in Heaven as the angels are bringing in the daily prayer mail. One says to God "we got a hole dump truck load of those 15% off dinner prayers out in the parking lot". God says "Just mark them junk mail as usual and deduct 15% off these folks heavenly account holdings".

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Gosh...talk about kind of desparate.

Religion seems such a private thing to me.

Making it a spectacle or even wanting to just seems really wrong.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 12:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

My religion requires that I paint my ass blue and stand on my head during prayer. I don't think it's worth dealing with the cops to get .75 cents off of a burger.

I paint mine red.

You're doing it wrong.

I would argue that we are both doing it right.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Murgatroid

Well, butter my butt and call me a biscuit, I might actually like this place after all! She doesn't seem like the typical southern baptist.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 12:33 PM
link   
a reply to: ~Lucidity

I agree. It's weird to exploit such a personal practice IMHO. Do I get an extra 5% off if I take a selfie of me praying and mention the place when I post it on twitter,fb,instagram? Do I get free desert if I pray by song?

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 12:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: ArdenWolf
Closest I've come to honestly praying over a meal was my giving thanks/apologizing to the food source.

Makes a lot more sense than most religious prayers...

This film I watched recently has an excellent illustration on this subject...

Below is a transcript from the 16:45 min. point.

Nikki: Oh, you are not going to ask me to say the blessing, are you?

Jesus: I usually like to say a word of thanks before meals. Do you mind?

Nikki: No, not at all...

Jesus: Father, thank you for always providing for us whom you love.

Nikki: That's it?

Jesus: I'm sorry. Is there something else you'd like to say?

Nikki: No, I think that covered it.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 12:38 PM
link   

What religion is that?

No hot dogs on Tuesday.

Praise Bob...Slack be his holy name.

Why a discount for just praying. Perhaps a group like Stryper could write a Christian Rock opera and spread the message and feed the homeless for free.

Or another fantastic marketing strategy for Mary's gourmet Diner to to adopt would be to combine Prayer with topless waitresses.

I'd like a grilled cheese, a side of fries and a diet coke please!!! Praise Bob.

edit on 2-8-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 12:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: kaylaluv
Does it matter who you are praying to? Gee, I wonder if it would offend the owners if I pray to Satan before my meal...

I'm with you.

There's a difference between someone, even a family, silently bowing their heads for a few seconds vs someone openly verbally praying --- often in "share mode".

Isn't there something in the bible about praying silently?

I don't need, nor want, unsolicited proselytizing in a public business. I think it's called Respecting Others.

Yes there is, it has been mentioned 2 times already.

Respecting others but not their beliefs????

Does somebody praying really offend you that much? Really?

I'm an atheist. Please tell me you respect me.

I don't want over sharing of anything when I go to a restaurant.

I just want to have my own intimate experience with my food and whoever I'm with.

I do respect your beliefs and would happily let you tell me about them and practice them. It is a right we should all have.

I'm sorry, but I really don't believe you would listen respectfully to me telling you the concept of a religious god is not logical.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 12:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: ~Lucidity
Gosh...talk about kind of desparate.

Religion seems such a private thing to me.

Making it a spectacle or even wanting to just seems really wrong.

Not really, in fact I think a lot of people are seeing this wrong, as it is really a public display by this restaurant to protest the huge surge of anti Christian rhetoric we have seen this year and last. And this is specific enough to indicate the obvious and that is the pro Muslim/anti-Christian political situation affecting the entire globe right now.

Just a thought

Added:
It is our politicians and those pushing Islam on the rest of the world and even here in the west by some of them promoting sharia law, etc. while Muslims rape their own women and kids, and stone them to death, honor killings, and murder Christians globally. So it isn't the restaurant that needs to be called out for this, it is our phony and corrupt diplomats like Hillary the skunk Clinton and her mad band of state department automatons she left behind to continue wrecking foreign policy everywhere.
edit on 2-8-2014 by NoCorruptionAllowed because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 12:53 PM
link   
a reply to: ArnoldNonymous

This is a disgusting idea. Ill never eat at that restaurant. It's another way to reward people of faith for no particularly good reason.

link   
a reply to: NoCorruptionAllowed

There is no anti-Christian rhetoric except in some minds.

And when there is? Well IMO they bring it upon themselves with stunts like this.

link   
I'm sorry but anyone that gets their panties in a bunch over this needs to get a life. And after getting a life, mind your own business. Don't like it? Don't go there.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Murgatroid

Thanks interesting movie from what little I watched, will have to sit down and watch the whole thing at some point.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 01:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: ~Lucidity
a reply to: NoCorruptionAllowed

There is no anti-Christian rhetoric except in some minds.

And when there is? Well IMO they bring it upon themselves with stunts like this.

There has been plenty of anti-Christian rhetoric everywhere and in the news almost daily, but perhaps you have been living in a cave and haven't gotten the memo?

Here are just the top ten anti-Christian things as of late.

10. NBC television network twice took the words "under God" from the Pledge of Allegiance in its lead up to the U.S. Open at Congressional Country Club.

9. In Franklin, Mass., a pro-life man was beaten by the police for peacefully handing out pro-life materials. The police accused him of conspiring to plant bombs.

8. A Christian man in Minnesota was fired from his job because one of his female co-workers attended a Bible study that his wife led.

7. A Christian Florida teacher was suspended after school administrators discovered his support of traditional marriage posted on the Internet.

6. In Kalispell, Mon., pro-lifers were attacked by a firebomb during a prayer vigil in front of an abortion clinic. No one was hurt, but a police officer remarked pro-lifers should expect this sort of reaction to their activities.

5. Because of a complaint filed by the ACLU, the liberal 9th Circuit Court ruled that the Mt. Soledad War Memorial in San Diego was unconstitutional.

4. A homosexual activist effort caused investigations by the online money transfer company, PayPal, against pro-family Christian organizations.

3. A Bible study was shut down by San Juan Capistrano, Calif., officials who claimed the group needed a permit because it posed a risk to public safety and health.

2. President Obama declared June "Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Pride Month" and hosted a White House celebration by homosexuals.

1. California Gov. Jerry Brown signs a bill forcing public school curriculum and textbooks to "celebrate" homosexuals, transgenders and bisexuals.

You should have that denial problem checked by a pro.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 01:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

What religion is that?

No hot dogs on Tuesday.

Praise Bob...Slack be his holy name.
My shordurpersav today is Gamera. I plan on performing a short duration marriage between myself and a cheeseburger shortly. If I'm lucky I will be abducted by the Sex Goddesses at some point this afternoon.
I tried to give Jesus a call, but I think he's playing golf.

Why a discount for just praying. Perhaps a group like Stryper could write a Christian Rock opera and spread the message and feed the homeless for free.

Or another fantastic marketing strategy for Mary's gourmet Diner to to adopt would be to combine Prayer with topless waitresses.

I'd like a grilled cheese, a side of fries and a diet coke please!!!

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 01:03 PM
link   

So immaturity is a religion now?

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 01:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bone75

So immaturity is a religion now?

When wasn't it? Seems to be par for the course so far...

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join