It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Water Advisory : Toledo, OH and Surrounding Areas.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I'd offer water from my well too, but I'm a day and half travel from y'all.

I certainly hope things get better for everyone up there!

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Solution to the non problem is here.
Hope it helps

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: g146541

If it were as simple as getting a filter, they would have given people that advice. It's not the bacteria that cannot be filtered, it's the toxins released by the bacteria that cannot be filtered. That's also why they said not to boil the water either. It increases the toxicity.

A very effective way to deal with high microcystin concentrations therefore is to remove the cells, intact and without damage (Drikas et al. 2001; Hart et al. 1998). Any damage, such as that caused by preoxidation, may lead to cell leakage, and consequently in an increase of the dissolved toxin concentration entering the treatment plant. This may be critical, as dissolved toxin is not removed by conventional treatment technologies.
World Health Organiaztion

I would implore people to read and do their research before thinking a simple filter will cure the problem. They would be telling people to filter their water if it were that simple.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Just checked the Toledo local forecast... thunderstorms are possible this evening... if so, you have the opportunity to gather some water that way... set up a tarp to channel the rain into a container, not a permanent solution, but an option that may help get you through this situation...

Stay safe everyone in the impacted area...

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 01:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: elevatedone
That last picture actually makes me a little angry.

There should have been a limit on how much you can buy, so that more people could get some water.

It is typical sign of the times. If you are not a prepper you should be. All it takes is one thing and you will be screwed. Imagine this on a bigger scale say regional power outage. It will be epic if you are not prepared.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 02:02 PM
link   
a reply to: _BoneZ_
The science and an explanation to it is in the link.
This is not just some random person on the web.
But for those who need to be protected from a boogie man..

(Edit)
I think I understand what the frenzy is about now.
My guess is soon the PTB will NEED to add something toxic to the water... In order to save our souls of course..

edit on 2-8-2014 by g146541 because: Cold coffee

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 11:04 PM
link   
The problem is that over the years, local municipalities have fallen for the "Public sanitary-sewers/Public waste treatment plant" scam. In Michigan, being that the ground was dry-porous sand, everyone had individual private septic systems. These allowed the waste effluent to diffuse into the ground locally. Trees and plant roots went after the Phosphorus with a vengeance, Bacteria in the soil broke down the rest. Large municipal construction companies lobbied (bribed) local government elected officials to sell public bonds, and put special assessments(individual property taxes) on private property to force-install these public systems and made themselves a killing. The biggest problem is that although the sewage is filtered out, and e-coli is dealt with, The discharge effluents are loaded with Phosphorus. All of the south-eastern Michigan public sewer systems dump into the tributaries of the Huron, Rouge, and Clinton Rivers, which then flow into the Detroit River, and strait down to Toledo/Lake Erie.
It looks like the EPA is going to have to get regulations passed discouraging public municipal sewer systems that discharge into these river tributaries(all of them do now), and to encourage people to go back to on-site private septic systems. The municipalities are trying to pass the buck, and blame farmer/farm-land discharges, as they have many public employees running these lucrative public systems, and the municipal construction industry does not want their cash-cow killed either.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 11:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: _BoneZ_
In the news conference, the Health Commissioner said any kind of filtration will not work.

must be time to lay off the water and drink beer

on a serious note though what a horrible situation i hope that a solution is found sooner than later

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 11:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: _BoneZ_
a reply to: g146541
That's also why they said not to boil the water either. It increases the toxicity.

If that's the case, it would mean the toxin doesn't evaporate at the boiling point. Which would imply distilling should work. Not that most people have distilling equipment, but there are ways to do it ad-hoc if necessary.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 11:49 PM
link   
a reply to: elevatedone

And this is why I tell everyone I know to keep their pantry stocked with some "just in case" items like water, canned food, and of course various lighting supplies.

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 04:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: virraszto

originally posted by: elevatedone
I was just telling the wife, we'll wait this out a couple of hour and hope for an update on how long this is going to last.
If we need to, then yeah, travel a little ways and pick up some water somewhere.

I live in the area affected. I have well water. You are welcome to come by and fill up water jugs. I also have a
reverse osmosis so the water tastes fine. If interested, either reply or pm me. I'll keep a look out for your msg.

PS. I also have a 5 gallon water jug I could fill for you.

Good on you!

. . . Glad to see ATS members helping one another! Lets keep it up

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 07:30 AM
link   
I live just to the south of you. If you're still needing water Bowling Green's WalMart, Kroger and Meijer stores were well stocked earlier this morning

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Large algae bloom that's producing more bacteria that's producing more methane. What a mess.

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 08:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Rezlooper

It really is a bad predicament.

Looks like the river is filled w/ the toxic cyanobacteria.

Not sure how long it would take to clean that out of system. . . ?

Anyone?
edit on 3-8-2014 by SurrenderingAmerica because: spelling

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Water everywhere and not a drop to drink.

Wonder if watering vegetable gardens is ok? I imagine beaches are closed and no fishing either.

This is nothing to mess with. The news reported the toxins can impair liver function amongst other things.

One report showed a guy in a PU hauling water back home, he drove to Michigan.

It's not just drinking water, it's water for dishes, hand washing, showers, brushing teeth, watering pets/livestock. Watch kids make sure they can't turn those taps on. Tape them down with duct tape. Be watchful of toilet bowls too some toddlers play in them. If toilets weren't bad enough now people have a bowl of toxic soup in the bathroom.

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Wow, this is terrible! We need water for so many things, it's scary to think that even though we might have it, we're not able to use it...

I hope everyone's being extra careful over there, but unfortunately I can see accidents happening, especially with kids. Hopefully, not too many.

Also, really great to see a member here offering help. Awesome attitude!

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Hi guys... checking in.

Well, several truck loads of water have been shipped in, so there's water available.

I ventured out yesterday, going east of T-town. A walmart in Sandusky had water and a lot of it
They were limiting to 3 cases per person. I picked up one. I think we'll be ok.

Many many thanks for the kind offer of coming over to get some water. It really is much appreciated.
Should things change, I may take you up on the offer.

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 11:00 AM
link   
One thing i've realised latley. Preppers were right. everyone should be prepared for any scenario like this, we never know whats gonna happen next.

just look at that fat woman hogging all that water, do we really want to be fighting and competing over others in crowded shopping centres for basic supplies? no we should be smarter than this. When SHTF you could be stabbed or killed over an apple or water.

my advice, get prepared now with everything just incase.

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 11:31 AM
link   
This is what the EPA needs to concentrate on. Not CO2 emissions which are from complete combustion and our bodies completely combust sugars to CO2. Instead, long chain hydrocarbons, Sulfur Dioxide and metals are what they should concentrate on preventing being released into the environment in harmful ways. Conditions that stagnant waters are known to create when bacteria meets pollution and bio mass are preventable. If we take care of the water supply without going swat team on farmer brown for having retention ponds and the black soot emissions from burning organic material, there would be little to worry about safety wise. Ozone is so low they have lowered the violation limits twice and we still are not breaking the limits. The same can be said for Particulate emissions. The EPA will lower the limits again so it is in the news that we are failing air standards as sure as I am typing this now. But water purity and biological vectors, that affect more of humanity than CO2, are on crisis management basis it appears.

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 12:24 PM
link   
and day two of the water ban....
the levels seems a bit lower,
but still not fit to drink.

The first tests indicating trouble came Friday night and additional testing confirmed the elevated readings, said Craig Butler, director of the state’s Environmental Protection Agency.

Water coming from the lake into Toledo’s water plant had relatively low toxicity levels this summer compared with a year ago until this sudden spike.

From The Detroit News: www.detroitnews.com...

This to me is very scary, as there seems to be no control over the algae....or the run off.
And, seems like it could happen most anywhere

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join