It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ebola Virus: Sierra Leone Declares Emergency to Halt Spread

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 05:58 AM
link   

www.nbcnews.com...

ierra Leone’s president declared a state of emergency Thursday over the largest outbreak of the Ebola virus in history, drafting in security forces and placing restrictions on movement to combat the spread of the deadly virus.

Ebola has infected more than 1,200 people in three West African countries, and killed close to 700 of them. The outbreak received extra media attention when two Americans became infected, and a Liberian man with family in the United States died.

The disease is beyond the scope of any one country, or community to defeat,” he said in a statement, adding that he has canceled a planned trip to Washington for a U.S.-Africa summit next week. “Its social, economic, psychological and security implications require scaling up measures at international, national, inter-agency and community levels.”

This is really creeping me out , killed 700 out of 1200 effected . thats almost 60% . I hope the spread of the disease is quickly quarantined .

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 06:26 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 07:49 AM
link   
I think it's a huge mistake bringing these two infected American medical doctors back to the United States. Instead of risking the chance of this virus finding a way into the general population, the CDC should be setting up a facility at the site to treat these two infected doctors. I don't care what kind of precautionary measures are taken to keep it contained, the medical community doesn't know enough about this virus to risk infecting the population of another country. Why would any country take the risk of exposing their own population to this dreaded disease? This is the same CDC that mishandled the anthrax virus and contaminated their own workers. Mistakes happen, and a killer virus such as Ebola, isn't anything that should be left to chance.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 08:07 AM
link   
I said this in another similar thread but people need to understand it.

All that stands between us and extinction is a few strands of DNA that we have to hope don't mutate.

Bringing anyone with a pathogen like Ebola, here, to our soil, is the dumbest thing anyone could do.

Those doctors knew the risks when they went there. Their treatment should have gone with them and stayed THERE.

I love my fellow Americans, but not enough to see 60% or more of them vanquish over feeling guilty.

~Namaste

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 08:21 AM
link   
I posted this earlier on a thread about Ebola and am hoping many of you will do the same as I did.

I just sent the White House this message and will send it to all my representatives.

With Ebola being now an uncontrolled virus.

TB is now nearly drug resistant and some strains are drug resistant.

With people coming from all over the world to cross our borders from Mexico.

Why haven't we sealed the borders?

Isn't the public heath crisis enough?

Ebola is now airborne says scientists.
"Though the method of transmission in the study was not officially determined, one of the scientists involved, Dr. Gary Kobinger, from the National Microbiology Laboratory at the Public Health Agency of Canada, told BBC News that he believed that the infection was spread through large droplets that were suspended in the air.
"What we suspect is happening is large droplets; they can stay in the air, but not long; they don't go far," he explained. "But they can be absorbed in the airway, and this is how the infection starts, and this is what we think, because we saw a lot of evidence in the lungs of the non-human primates that the virus got in that way."
Translation: Ebola IS an airborne virus.
UPDATE: Someone pointed out that in medical terms, if the virus is transferred through tiny droplets in the air this would technically not be called an "airborne virus". Airborne, in medical terms would mean that the virus has the ability to stay alive without a liquid carrier. On one hand this is a question of semantics, and the point is well taken, but keep in mind that the study did not officially determine how the virus traveled through the air, it merely established that it does travel through the air. Doctor Kobinger's hypothesis regarding droplets of liquid is just that, a hypothesis. For the average person however what needs to be understood is very simple: if you are in a room with someone infected with Ebola, you are not safe, even if you never touch them or their bodily fluids, and this is not what you are being told by the mainstream media. Essentially I am using the word "airborne" as a layman term "

We are not just looking at a humanitarian crisis, we are looking at virus' that can decimate the entire country.

If you really care about the American people, Mr. President, you will seal the borders NOW.

(P.S. I am not a hater, I am a citizen who is concerned that massive outbreaks will kill up to 50% of our population quickly if the borders are not sealed.)

top topics

join