It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

REPLY TO: Thread Forum

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Have you ever read a thread that made you want to punch your computer screen? And then it gets a thousand flags and stars on a moments whim and the thread in question has no basis in facts or intelligence whatsoever. It just happens to be a bunch of folks acting emotionally and agreeing on said topic because the enemy of my enemy must be my friend. Then you post a counter argument or whatever and it goes unnoticed because the frenzy and at the rage is at a fever pitch. On ATS there are no winners only losers and the losers will spend days and nights in endless debate on a subject matter that will never be agreed upon because it is over run with emotional outbursts, rants and general internet mob mentality mayhem.

Well instead of people posting threads that are in fact a response to another thread (guilty ^) Why not make a response forum and notify the OP when a forum poster has responded to the basis of their entire thread via U2U?

Wouldn't that shake things up a little bit and make ATS the most popular and unbiased conspiracy and alternative topic websites on the internet?

By the way I will accept one thousand blocks of cheese when ATS realizes this is the way to go. Better yet since the cheese will go bad, I will accept 100 blocks of cheese, three gallons of milk and 2 bars of gold.

Thanks for your consideration.

Relocate to Colorado and throw in one ounce of marijuana and tons of beef jerky while your at it.

You'll thank me later. Im paying it forward.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 09:55 PM
link   
a reply to: txinfidel

I'm confused. You want replies to a thread in a separate forum instead of the initial thread?

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 09:58 PM
link   
a reply to: loam

Yeah, if the thread is so (can't think of a better word) Biased that it doesn't hold any water than those that agree to it, (because they hold same bias)

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 10:02 PM
link   
I am not sure I understand. I am pretty sure if you start a thread, you get notified for every response already. It's been a while for me, but they always popped up somewhere for me.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 10:02 PM
link   
a reply to: loam

And at the same time no.

Just a simple response to a thread, not the people who posted but a counter argument on the Original Post. Nothing else.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 10:04 PM
link   

We don't generally allow "response" threads. Typically because they encourage echo chambers to develop.

A conversation has two sides. If you want to "respond" then it should be done in thread.

-tenth

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Oh I think I see what you are saying. It always struck me as odd that "response threads" were closed, there were some doozies over the time I been here. I guess if the response threads were allowed, we would get two threads for everything, one a left wing, one a right wing, and each thread would just be a ginormous circle jerk.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 10:06 PM
link   
a reply to: TKDRL

Ok, example.. Somebody from Britain says America is bad because x y and z. So instead of somebody posting a counter thread, Great Britain Sucks because, A, B C and D, they just counter the argument made in the OP of the entire thread.

It is great brittain right or is it the UK or England?

Not sure what to say anymore.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 10:09 PM
link   
You asked: "Have you ever read a thread that made you want to punch your computer screen?"

The answer is yes, many times -- and this thread is one of them. I have tried my best to understand what you are suggesting, but the more you post, the less clue I have.

*scratches head instead of punching computer screen*

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 10:10 PM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

I see what your saying. I just think it deserves a specific place on the board and it would help you mods moderate.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 10:11 PM
link   

It's true that when a thread is posted in a very popular or big news item topic that the replies can fly faster than light, responses get buried many times.

That's the danger of having a lot of members who end up responding to a single topic.

There are some answers to the problem however that you can use right now:

1) Wait to make a response to the thread until some of the momentum goes away. Your post is more likely to get noticed once things slow down a bit. May take a while however.

2) Start a different thread yourself, pointing out your difference to the other thread. However, you need to make it original (so the mods do not consider it 2 threads on the same subject in the same forum and shut it down), or post it to a different forum (generally it's accepted here on ATS to have one thread on a subject in Breaking News and a 2nd on the same subject in a different forum). Run what you want to do by a mod first to make sure it won't get shut down.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 10:11 PM
link   

A thread that is so biased to one side of an arguement?
And then start another thread disagreeing with said viewpoint?
It will never work, people will have to go back and forward to read both threads which is a pain after a short while.

Anyway its going against the whole idea of a thread

Just because your viewpoint didnt get much attention?

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 10:14 PM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

good answer, but actually I saw some older topics I would have liked to respond to but I figured theres no point as it would get lost in the weeds.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 10:16 PM
link   
a reply to: SecretKnowledge

Your signature almost made me punch my computer screen, I thought they were mosquitos.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 10:25 PM
link   

and no its not about my view point. But take for example for instance all the anti Israel threads that are souring the board.

Its ok to disagree with disagreeing with Israel but to post fervently just sours the board.

I think its fair to not placate such an emotional response, thats when speech becomes propaganda, not to say its not ok to do so, but people should have an honest avenue to respond in a way that is not emotional and bring an honest debate upon the forum.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Actually, the internet is a pretty good example at how like minded people can come together and be hateful and intolerant, as it is one that describes the opposite.

I've always found that if you start segregating people, and I'm not saying that would be the intent, just the natural progression, you always end up worse off than you were.

I personally would rather read a thread that contains a lot of differing opinions and dare I say I enjoy a good argument as well. I really think that allowing reply threads would only take away from the aspect of collaborative, meaningful discussion.

Besides modding ain't even that though
. The rules are pretty straightforward.

-Tenth

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Well, the anit isreal threads souring the board is your opinion. In my opinion it is refreshing.

new topics

top topics

join