It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WikiLeaks Cables Reveal U.S. Gov't Planned To “Retaliate and Cause Pain” On Countries Refusing

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 11:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: RancorXXX
a reply to: Harte

Harte, this went way beyond the retaliation seen in these cables, in fact there was a big case in the UK where a biotech scientist named Dr. Arpad Pusztai was retaliated against and driven out by the big US GMO companies.

The thread is about the cables, and the so-called "threat" of retaliation.

What I said stands.

What happened to Pusztai was unfair, but was not the result of any trade retaliation, which is what the cable was about.
Regarding Pusztai:

Unfortunately, Pusztai's analyses of the chemical composition of the transgenic lines were rather superficial. And his quick leap to the conclusion that the variation he observed was attributable to the fact that they were transgenic was simply unwarranted. This mistake has proved costly to Pusztai himself. And unfortunately, the expertise battle that sprang up around the experiments has obscured the importance of carrying out well-designed experiments to evaluate the food qualities of transgenic crop plants expressing proteins that have the potential of affecting human health. Lectins are clearly in this category.

Pusztai has been criticized severely for the quality of his experiments. His experiments have been attacked for their small sample sizes, the use of inappropriate statistical procedures, and the fact that a diet of raw - or even cooked - potatoes is a bad diet for rats (people too), even when supplemented with a bit of extra protein. But oddly enough, in all that has been written about these experiments, no one seems to have seen their central flaw, which was that he did not use appropriate controls. A "control" is the part of an experiment that allows the researcher to examine the consequences of just the change (in this case) or the treatment (in the case of a drug) under study. In Pusztai's experiments, the control potatoes had a different history than the transgenic potatoes and, in particular, that history included a culture procedure that induces somaclonal variation. The likeliest source of the variation he detected - and of the differences he attributed to the fact that they contained foreign DNA - was the culture procedure itself. In order to be able to attribute the deleterious effects of the transgenic potatoes to the newly introduced gene or to some other part of the introduced DNA, he would have had to make a comparison between potatoes that had the very same history, but either had or lacked the transgenic construct. This can be done, but the study that Pusztai participated in was simply not designed for such a test.
Source

That source also tells us that Pusztai himself in an earlier study had found the lectin in question - GNA - was not harmful to rats if ingested in purified form:

Better yet, Pusztai's own studies showed that purified GNA wasn't toxic to rats (Pusztai 1990). In fact, he and his colleagues had shown that GNA had a protective effect against bacterial infection with Salmonella, a nasty intestinal bug (Naughton et al., 2000).

The lectins in question are naturally present in other foods - including potatoes themselves. What happened to Pusztai happened because of the controversy surrounding the subject, though, and not due to any serious fault of his own.

Turned out that Pusztai was wrong, but the consequences certainly didn't match the error, I agree.

Lastly, Pusztai's results were published in Lancet. Why do you pretend they weren't available until he was labelled a "whistleblower?"

Harte

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 12:39 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Soy products do indeed contain estrogen in high enough amounts to affect body chemistry significantly, but this is what a doctor said to me not too long ago, and I haven't tried to verify it elsewhere.

The idea of Monsanto and GMO's really gets my blood boiling, especially because their seeds have modifications that seek to perform a desired trait like repel bugs, but to do that, these plants have other things happening that weren't foreseen that harm animals, livestock, and people, perhaps even accelerating the human race to become smaller, and dumber, and weaker than ever before, which is already happening because of our weaker and mutated DNA that has been ongoing for 10,000 years. Our leaders seem to think they can become rich from Monsanto kickbacks even though their products are lethal and deadly, and to heck with the rest of mankind.

This web article even proves the human race is in fact degrading at a fastening pace with scientific evidence.Human DNA is degrading, not improving

You would think we would totally ban GMO's and put the owners of the company in prison for assault with dangerous substances, and jail our politicians for conspiracy and complicity with this. It really is this serious.
edit on 2-8-2014 by NoCorruptionAllowed because: added

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 12:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
a reply to: sheepslayer247

Let's take corn for example.

That is one of the worse examples possible.

Those that are pushing with 'organic' are messing with farmers BIGTIME.

It is only because of the current yields that gmo give do farmers even 'make' a living anymore.

Take a good look at the chart there.

From 1860 to the 1970s would be the 'era' of organic.

The way 'grandpa' use to do it.

With hybrids of today aka GMO corn bushells are now pushing 350 bushels.

Less land is being used.

More food is being grown.

Like I said organic isn't the way.

Because thousands of farmers are going out of the business every year.

Less land is being used every year.

The increase in yields is the only way farmers still compete with the rising land costs,rising machinery costs.

People are free to disagree.

A large percentage of this corn ends up in fuel tanks and because ethanol burns at 2x the ratio of gasoline, it actually LOWERS mpg rather than increasing it. So much corn is turned into ethanol these days that some companies have returned to using sugar in sodas due to the corn price hike. Also ethanol is HORRIBLE for fuel systems, newer cars are designed for it, but it still destroys fuel systems on many 80's and 90's cars, and also is hydrophilic (meaning it attracts water), so it likes to retain water and thereby destroy fuel injectors if it sits
more than a month. 15years ago you could let a car sit for 6months and the fuel would only drop a few octane. These days with etahnol-mix fuels the fuel goes bad in less than 3months and the car will hardly start.

Another large percentage of this corn ends up in the bottom of trash bags at McDonalds, TacoBell, BurgerKing etc in the form of cornsyrup from unfinished MegaGULP stupid size drinks that people throw away.

And yet another large portion ends up as a spare tire around obese American's waists, which then requires them to consume MORE calories just to maintain the same level of activity, and requires more ethanol/gasoline in the gas tank to push our fat asses around in our 5,000lb cars with 1,000lbs of family onboard.

The whole thing is sickening really, we are poisoning ourselves in order to yield enough crops to either GIVE IT AWAY as foreign aid, or even worse: maintain a really obscene level of wastefulness and gluttony.

We don't need to have these ridiculous crop yields, we can be sustainable with much less if we used better distribution systems and wasted much less. We overproduce, overconsume, waste and then declare we need more in order to sustain the sick cycle???
edit on 2-8-2014 by 8675309jenny because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 01:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: aboutface
That is absolute criminal behaviour and if we want to turn things around for ourselves we must begin charging and prosecuting these traitors that have undermined our various peoples throughout the world.

You mean the Monsanto people right?

If not, I'm going to set one thing straight for you here: You have NO business deciding what the rest of the world grows or is willing to import from your corrupt and unhealthy companies.

Monsanto products are WITHOUT A SHRED OF A DOUBT dangerous to anyones health and well being.

If Monsanto ever sets foot in the EU, I will be among those who gather around their first factory with pitchforks and torches.
edit on 2/8/14 by flice because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 02:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Blackmarketeer

I don't feel that we need any GMO crops. I don't believe we need all of the pesticides they put on food either. I know some farmers and have known many in my life, they spray the crops as a preventive measure, there isn't even any bugs around most times.

There are actually a lot of GMO foods out there, some created long ago before they had to say that they were GMO. Since these are grandfathered in, they don't have to be listed or accounted for in the regulations.

Half of the fear the farmer worries about isn't even real. They have been brainwashed by the companies making chemicals. My dad was brainwashed also, he realized this when they banned DDT, touted as an extremely safe product by the ones selling it.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 04:23 PM
link   
We in America have the finest fascism money can buy ........ just more confirmation who runs this country .... and it's not the government ...

Thank You Op for this ....

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 04:27 PM
link   
As far as I can see Monsanto is behaving like the mafia in a protection racket, except that it's their own protection, and expansion. They want to own the global bread basket with their products, in fact they are coming close.
When Ignacio Chapela exposed the Mexican cross contamination/pollination threat/reality rather of corn, the trolls appeared on an e-mail blog AGBIO. The e-mails, one of which stated, "Activist first, science second" were traced back to Monsanto, Louisville, (I presume that's Kentucky)
It looks also that Monsanto seeds may have been planted covertly, besides being imported, to aid cross pollination.
In other South American countries it looks like Round-up is being sprayed inappropriately on small farms that are close to homes and water supplies and livestock, there is no telling which way that is going to go.
Worst of all, the FDA seems up to their neck in all this in the first instance, too cosy with Washington regimes, the same thing happening to a scientist in Scotland checking on the Monsanto paper, who was disturbed about the methodology as being totally inappropriate who was sacked whereby the project was stopped by Tony Blair, or Downing Street, yet they had a €2M grant for that project.
Thankfully GMO is on hold here, though I have to say did the experimental fields do damage already?

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Just to heat it up guys. In english gematria "Monsanto" equals 666.

ETA: - And to topic:

I find this appalling to say the least. I live in Iceland and have noticed over the few half dozen years that GMO's are getting alot more noticeable. Though it seems that some strings within our gov. are trying to fight back as most products are labelled with GMO in the ingredients list.

Is it that way in the States, ie. labelled?

Something needs to be done against those criminals against humanity who apparently have their octopus arms across the globe thrusting on people's throats who want no part of it.

I hope my father in heaven helps us all, gives us strength and freedom. Take that as you may.
edit on 2/8/14 by Sump3 because: hit post in preemptive mode

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 05:51 PM
link   

In the end, nothing will happen because the masses just do not care
look how fat america is, does it look like we care what goes into our bodies?

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 06:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sump3
Just to heat it up guys. In english gematria "Monsanto" equals 666.

ETA: - And to topic:

Though it seems that some strings within our gov. are trying to fight back as most products are labelled with GMO in the ingredients list.
Is it that way in the States, ie. labelled?

In my understanding for the USA, GMO labelling is optional. In Europe, it is compulsory, perhaps Iceland, (not the shop)
goes the same way.
As for Monsanto, IMO they are engaged in criminal activity. They should know by now, (if they didn't know already) that their seeds are not sterile, in other words they profligate by pollination and cross pollination, yet they pursue farmers over 'intellectual rights' because of alleged misuse, that is a fecking crazy situation that the law has to come to terms with big time, while patent laws are becoming a farce, you can patent a fart these days.
Thing is, Monsanto lives in the 25% area of the unknown, the other 75% may say their pesticide hurts a lot, but you can see the way it goes!! I hope the day comes soon when they will be 'catched'
What harm they might have done already is still out there.

edit on 2-8-2014 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 06:23 PM
link   
a reply to: CoolStoryMan Hi CoolStoryMan, Gee, we should care though...relevant to what we are eating. I think a lot of the obesity problems we have today are BECAUSE of the chemicals and growth hormones and such that is being put into our foods. The news media likes to put the blame on obesity on us folks...putting pictures up of folks eating fast food and sitting in front of the tv with buckets of fried chicken balanced on their burgeoning bellies...sure, that is the case sometimes...but there is never attention brought to the fact that an awful lot of obesity can be caused by the fluoride that ruins our thyroids, medications that cause weight gain, GMOs and chemical toxicity that can cause weight gain...and my personal favorite...growth hormones in all our poultry and cattle. Eat a butterball turkey loaded with growth hormones and we become a "butterball" too. All those antibiotics in foods/dairy can have side effects to, relevant to weight gain.

I know what you mean though...some folks DO eat whatever they want with no thought given to it and sit at the tv for 6 hours watching stupid shows like dancing with the idols or whatever.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 06:39 PM
link   
I do believe there will always be retaliation against farmers or scientists or just everyday people that go against the system relevant to GMOs. It doesn't surprise me to read/hear that a branch of Monsanto is now involved in supposed development of Ebola treatment products. Now if such is successful, that will be a huge money maker considering the big scare and hype going on now in regards to Ebola, all of a sudden. The PR about Ebola has sure come on fast and furious and out of nowhere....all of a sudden, we have our big scary possible epidemic that "Rummie" and Cheney were always yapping about and scaring us with...the "Not if but when" scenario they were always yapping about.

This GMO stuff is sickening. Why did they have to go and fool with Mother nature? I can envision globs of meat being produced in huge mounds and sold to us one day...GMO dealys...Instead of turkeys with necks and wings and drumsticks, we will just have slices of so-called "turkey meat" being offered to us...imagine what Thanksgiving meal at the table will look like then? Not very pleasing to the eye for sure...and lotsa IBS and the "squirts" after the meal, to be sure! Yep, turkey mountains with maybe IV tubes for nourishment, no feed/grain involved, no pens, no temperature control needed, no oxygen maybe, who knows...maybe cost effective in some areas I suppose.

Seems foods of today are being "engineered" and fake....perhaps to be fed to "fake" people in the future...like clones or robots or half human/half robots...gives one pause for thought. We may all be getting engineered right out of existence.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 06:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
a reply to: sheepslayer247

Which brings us to:

If the never ending demagoguery of GMO keeps going like it is.

What are the 'poor' going to be eating ?

If it wasn't for GMO food ?

It would be more expensive than it already is with no means to keep up with population growth, and demand.

Sure some people say 'organic' can.

I don't think so feeding 7 billion every day not to mention that food that is now fueling autos.

GMO and Monsanto was never about feeding the world.
Do you think they are going to give away food for free lol?
Right!
It is all about control over this and other countries which is part of their New World Order Multinational Corporatist Utopia with "our bought and paid for government" backing it.

There will still be people starving, dying and poor and a good chance more by these very policies. The retort will be the same as it is now. There are always poor.

Many of the poor farmers grow their cash crops along with the food they need to eat, but with Roundup, it kills everything if it is not round up ready crops. Way to Go! Be a slave to your corporate masters that want to own you or starve.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 07:17 PM
link   
What we all need to do, as Americans, is buy and grow - Learn - our own crops - - the climate is shifting the agricultural zones in the US, and you can grow, say, sacred tobacco next to your NGMO Roma tomatoes - the nicotine is a natural pesticide, also DE - Diatamaceous Earth - a powder - also garlic - and re-painted daisies - contain pyrethum (spelling) all natural - so you see, we can survive - we just need to begin FOOD co-ops in our poor, rural areas with plenty of land, and give some back to those who cannot grow their own NGM foods. WE can grow our own FOOD - start indoors with those LED lights - costs less per watt energy bill than other grow lights Get the plants sturdy indoors - check for insects - use older remedies to remove bugs so they don't kill your crops.. good luck - SPREAD THE WORD, AMERICA - famine and drought, and flood, and pestilence - it is all coming - our population is just toooooo huge to sustain 7 billion and counting humans oh, and don't eat shark fin soup, Please - they cut the fins off the shark, and throw the shark back in to the water where it slowly drowns to death - without fins, you know... I dunno sometimes - we act more like primates sometimes and it is saddening to me Good luck, susa a reply to: Blackmarketeer

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Thanks for the revelation.
Another example of how lobbying is not in the interest of the people...bottom line: money is interested in money!

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Ambassador Stapleton had been a co-owner with George W. Bush of the Texas Rangers baseball team. Once Bush was in office, Stapleton became US Ambassador to the Czech Republic, and then in France. His pro-GMO stance was in-line with the Bush administration, which used a WTO lawsuit to try to force Europe to accept GMOs.

Stapleton's tone in the letter was insistent. "We should not be prepared to cede on cultivation because of our considerable planting seed business in Europe."

He said, "Moving to retaliation will make clear that the current path has real costs to EU interests and could help strengthen European pro-biotech voices. In fact, the pro-biotech side in France -- including within the farm union -- have told us retaliation is the only way to begin to begin to turn this issue in France."

Wow, and this jackanape is not in prison? The United States as a nation has become a complete sell out to its highest and mightiest corporations, that the executive branch would insinuate itself into European affairs in this manner, using "diplomacy" on behalf of GMO companies to force Europe to come around to their way of doing business is beyond the pale.

GMO are dangerous, plain and simple:

In 2009, the American Academy of Environmental Medicine stated that animal feeding studies on GMOs showed significant health disorders. They called on the US government to institute an immediate moratorium, and asked all doctors to prescribe non-GMO diets in the meantime.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 09:34 PM
link   
FEAR! FEAR! FEAR! PORN

NWO

DEATH TO THE USA

Love Putin
edit on 2-8-2014 by TritonTaranis because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Did you even read the wiki cable? It clearly is saying they are upset about an unfactual book and documentary and want it to be rebuted or there could be political and economic ramifications...

I just don't see how your OP article extrapolated so much conjecture from the cable...

It's like they hoped nobody would read the actual cable, which you clearly didn't...

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 01:37 AM
link   
From where those "America bashing" crowds grow ...

@Neo. It is not your responsibility to feed 7 billion people. As I understand it you are libertarian. Everybody is supposed to do what he wants to do unless GM money are at stake? Please let our farmers and consumers decide without meddling by gov. of USA.
Also your graph is not depicting success of modern biotech but use of heavy machinery + synthetic fertilizers. OK, there is one "biotech success" correlating with your graph: dwarf wheat. Question is: Is dwarf wheat nutritionally equivalent to archaic strains of wheat? What about those new proteins coded in this "bastard" wheat? What they do? Are you sure?

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 02:07 AM
link   
send them to prison ? these people are actively trying to kill us! prison is too good for them

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join