It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WikiLeaks Cables Reveal U.S. Gov't Planned To “Retaliate and Cause Pain” On Countries Refusing

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+68 more 
posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Thursday, July 31, 2014

Studies that link Genetically Modified (GM) food to multiple human health ailments are not the only thing that has millions of people questioning the production of GM food. The fact that previously classified secret government documents show how the Bush administration developed ways to retaliate against countries that were refusing to use GM seeds is another.

If documents regarding our food are required to be concealed from the public domain, something is not right, and it’s great to have an organization like WikiLeaks shed some light into the world that’s been hidden from us for so many years.

WikiLeaks Cables Reveal U.S. Gov't Planned To “Retaliate and Cause Pain” On Countries Refusing GMOs

Wikileaks reveals a pattern by US officials to coerce or target countries to force them to accept GMO seeds, and to retaliate against those that refuse to go along.

The cables reveal that the State Department was lobbying all over the world for Monsanto, and other major biotech corporations. They reveal that American diplomats requested funding to send lobbyists for the biotech industry to meet with politicians and agricultural officials in “target countries.” These included countries in Africa, Latin America and some European countries.

A non-profit consumer protection group called Food & Water Watch published a report showing the details of the partnership between the federal government and a number of biotech companies who have pushed their GMO products on multiple countries for a number of years.

The United States has aggressively pursued foreign policies in food and agriculture that benefit the largest seed companies. The U.S. State department has launched a concerted strategy to promote agricultural biotechnology, often over the opposition of the public and government, to the near exclusion of other more sustainable, more appropriate agricultural policy alternatives. The U.S. State department has also lobbied foreign governments to adopt pro-agricultural biotechnology politics and laws, operated a rigorous public relations campaign to improve the image of biotechnology and challenged common sense biotechnology safeguards and rules – even including opposing laws requiring the labeling of genetically engineered (GE) foods. (source)

The article reprints several of the cable highlighting this targeting, HERE is one cable (out of many) from Morocco.

+15 more 
posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Disgusting but not at all surprising. If we don't want it they will simply force it down our throats.

How much harm has already been caused?

Is there even a way at this point to differentiate between an organic vs Monsanto?

How often have organics been contaminated by GMO?

+17 more 
posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Those people helping this happen should get a grand jury trial and be sent to prison without any delay.

This has obviously damaged our national security in a very grave and thorough manner, and still is.
edit on 1-8-2014 by NoCorruptionAllowed because: added

+15 more 
posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 05:01 PM
link   
This OP got me thinking because it mentioned Latin America. It got me thinking about how many of the illegals we are now dealing with are coming from places like Honduras. They have a had a couple coups over the last decade, I believe, and the poor number of people are quickly rising.

But I remembered reading this piece a while back: Link

In Honduras, wealthier farmers and agro-businesses benefit from the higher yields and insect resistance of genetically engineered, or transgenic, crops, according to the store manager. But poor subsistence farmers can't afford the seeds or the herbicides and fertilizers needed to get the most from a GMO crop, said the education center director.

Could it be that our government and corps have been pushing the GMO's in places like Honduras, increasing poverty for those that cannot compete.....and they end up on our doorstep?

Na, I'm talking crazy.
edit on 8/1/2014 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

+9 more 
posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 05:24 PM
link   
That is absolute criminal behaviour and if we want to turn things around for ourselves we must begin charging and prosecuting these traitors that have undermined our various peoples throughout the world.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Here's the French documentary mentioned in the OP's link, it seems to be full length.

You know, it is no wonder some academic labelled conspiracy theorists, as NOT crazy.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 06:05 PM
link   
DON'T EVER USE GMOS tell your friends...DON'T let em bull##t you.

+8 more 
posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Disgusted? Absolutely

Surprised? Absolutely not.

And how many of my friends/family will believe me when I show this to them? Very few if any.

This is why we are losing.

Peace

+1 more 
posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 06:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Blackmarketeer

This is as blatant a genuine conspiracy by the US Federal Government if there ever was one. As the statement has been made before. "Those who control the food and water control the world."

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Now for TPTB to be pushing these GMO foods like this, they must have some kind of effect on people who consume it making them puppets of the system. There are chemicals that do this. There are also chemicals that settle people down so they cannot fight against the system. Or others that cause our thyroid not to function properly which keeps us from having energy to dispute the ones in charge.

Look at soy, a goiterogen and corn which can cause a lowering of niacin in the body which can dampen energy production by our cells. These two crops seem so important to our government. Now, are the GMO products higher in these chemicals, more potent? I do not know. I do know that soy seems to be included in so many products on the shelves nowadays though.

I know that governments have tried to control people for thousands of years, telling them that these mind control chemicals are good for them. Making you desire these calming and dumbing down foods is part of the plan. We buy them, they don't force it on us. Just like fluoride in the water, they tricked us into believing it was good for our teeth. That is not the main reason fluoride is added in the water.

So controlling us is the reason they do this, letting us know we are being controlled is not part of their agenda. I wish I had a chemical analysis of these GMO foods to try to find what they are trying to accomplish with these.

Oh well, there is nothing I can do anyway so what is the use. They will hide or deny any evidence that there is specific modifications made to dope us. I don't want Monsanto on my a$$ either, they could make my life miserable. Although, if they targeted me for no good reason, maybe it would prove what I say is true. They will just ignore my concerns and sig some paid shills to discredit anyone who uncover their plots. Maybe there is no plot, but it sure seems that there is excessive protection and pushing of these products by the government. There seems to be almost too much for there not to be a hidden agenda. Even more than the fluoride in the water.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 07:29 PM
link   
To them the world is a big labratory and we are the rats.

Hopefully there is enough pushback from the leaks in the rest of the world to reign in the monsters of the Biotech Industry.

As for Americans, we are on our own and better start to demand change quick.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 07:30 PM
link   
From the source:

Craig Stapleton, former ambassador to France under the Bush administration, asking Washington to punish the EU countries that did not support the use of GM crops;

France And The Wto Ag Biotech Case, Embassy Paris (France) Fri, 14 Dec 2007 16:23 UTC

Classified by Ambassador Craig Stapleton; reasons 1.4 (b), (d) and (e).

¶1. (C) Summary: Mission Paris recommends that that the USG reinforce our negotiating position with the EU on agricultural biotechnology by publishing a retaliation list when the extend "Reasonable Time Period" expires. In our view, Europe is moving backwards not forwards on this issue with France playing a leading role, along with Austria, Italy and even the Commission. In France, the "Grenelle" environment process is being implemented to circumvent science-based decisions in favor of an assessment of the "common interest." Combined with the precautionary principle, this is a precedent with implications far beyond MON-810 BT corn cultivation. Moving to retaliation will make clear that the current path has real costs to EU interests and could help strengthen European pro-biotech voices. In fact, the pro-biotech side in France -- including within the farm union -- have told us retaliation is the only way to begin to begin to turn this issue in France. End Summary.

¶2. (C) This is not just a bilateral concern. France will play a leading role in renewed European consideration of the acceptance of agricultural biotechnology and its approach toward environmental regulation more generally. France expects to lead EU member states on this issue during the Slovene presidency beginning in January and through its own Presidency in the second half of the year. Our contacts have made clear that they will seek to expand French national policy to a EU-wide level and they believe that they are in the vanguard of European public opinion in turning back GMO's. They have noted that the member states have been unwilling to support the Commission on sanctioning Austria's illegal national ban. The GOF sees the ten year review of the Commission's authorization of MON 810 as a key opportunity and a review of the EFSA process to take into account societal preferences as another (reftels).

¶3. (C) One of the key outcomes of the "Grenelle" was the decision to suspend MON 810 cultivation in France. Just as damaging is the GOF's apparent recommitment to the "precautionary principle." Sarkozy publicly rejected a recommendation of the Attali Commission (to review France's competitiveness) to move away from this principle, which was added to the French constitution under Chirac.

¶4. (C) France's new "High Authority" on agricultural biotech is designed to roll back established science-based decision making. The recently formed authority is divided into two colleges, a scientific college and a second group including civil society and social scientists to assess the "common interest" of France. The authority's first task is to review MON 810. In the meantime, however, the draft biotech law submitted to the National Assembly and the Senate for urgent consideration, could make any biotech planting impossible in practical terms. The law would make farmers and seed companies legally liable for pollen drift and sets the stage for inordinately large cropping distances. The publication of a registry identifying cultivation of GMOs at the parcel level may be the most significant measure given the propensity for activists to destroy GMO crops in the field.

¶5. (C) Both the GOF and the Commission have suggested that their respective actions should not alarm us since they are only cultivation rather than import bans. We see the cultivation ban as a first step, at least by anti-GMO advocates, who will move next to ban or further restrict imports. (The environment minister's top aide told us that people have a right not to buy meat raised on biotech feed, even though she acknowledged there was no possible scientific basis for a feed based distinction.) Further, we should not be prepared to cede on cultivation because of our considerable planting seed business in Europe and because farmers, once they have had experience with biotech, become its staunchest supporters.

¶6. Country team Paris recommends that we calibrate a target retaliation list that causes some pain across the EU since this is a collective responsibility, but that also focuses in part on the worst culprits. The list should be measured rather than vicious and must be sustainable over the long term, since we should not expect an early victory.

¶7. (C) President Sarkozy noted in his address in Washington to the Joint Session of Congress that France and the United States are "allies but not aligned." Our cooperation with France on a range of issues should continue alongside our engagement with France and the EU on ag biotech (and the next generation of environmental related trade concerns.) We can manage both at the same time and should not let one set of priorities detract from the other.

PARIS 00004723 002 OF 002 Stapleton

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 07:34 PM
link   
a reply to: sheepslayer247

This OP got me thinking because it mentioned Latin America. It got me thinking about how many of the illegals we are now dealing with are coming from places like Honduras. They have a had a couple coups over the last decade, I believe, and the poor number of people are quickly rising.

That was because of NAFTA.

NAFTA at 20: One Million U.S. Jobs Lost, Higher Income Inequality

Which brings us to:

If the never ending demagoguery of GMO keeps going like it is.

What are the 'poor' going to be eating ?

If it wasn't for GMO food ?

It would be more expensive than it already is with no means to keep up with population growth, and demand.

Sure some people say 'organic' can.

I don't think so feeding 7 billion every day not to mention that food that is now fueling autos.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 08:04 PM
link   
a reply to: cavtrooper7

It is tough to impossible to avoid GMOs living in America. They are everywhere.

I do not doubt that GMOs could be beneficial, however given Monsanto's track record especially with suing small time farmers for saving seeds, I do everything I can to not support them. This latest leak exposes what many of us already strongly suspected.

Monsanto has essentially bought all branches of the US government.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 08:08 PM
link   
a reply to: jrod

THIS group yes, let's see how far they try to go shall we? YOU AND I are HERE countering a rather sloppy operational system that is ONLY politically driven. They only use PLANS to function,books ,think tanks only THEIR sources in house.
They are big but NOBODY has one.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 08:16 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

I think a non-GMO solution is possible. It depends on where our priorities lie.

Let's take corn for example. We grow more than enough corn to feed the world many times over, but we waste it on HFCS as a filler in our foods and as a fuel to water down our gasoline (ethanol). On top of that, we subsidize farmers with tax-payer funds to grow crops for ethanol or non-food purposes....or to not grow at all.

Yes, there will be a loss in total production considering that non-GMO's do not have the benefit of pest/disease resistance, but we would still be able to produce enough to meet demand.

Win-win for everyone, right? Lower taxes and plenty of corn.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Let's take corn for example.

That is one of the worse examples possible.

Those that are pushing with 'organic' are messing with farmers BIGTIME.

It is only because of the current yields that gmo give do farmers even 'make' a living anymore.

Take a good look at the chart there.

From 1860 to the 1970s would be the 'era' of organic.

The way 'grandpa' use to do it.

With hybrids of today aka GMO corn bushells are now pushing 350 bushels.

Less land is being used.

More food is being grown.

Like I said organic isn't the way.

Because thousands of farmers are going out of the business every year.

Less land is being used every year.

The increase in yields is the only way farmers still compete with the rising land costs,rising machinery costs.

People are free to disagree.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 09:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: sheepslayer247
a reply to: neo96

I think a non-GMO solution is possible. It depends on where our priorities lie.

Let's take corn for example. We grow more than enough corn to feed the world many times over, but we waste it on HFCS as a filler in our foods and as a fuel to water down our gasoline (ethanol). On top of that, we subsidize farmers with tax-payer funds to grow crops for ethanol or non-food purposes....or to not grow at all.

Yes, there will be a loss in total production considering that non-GMO's do not have the benefit of pest/disease resistance, but we would still be able to produce enough to meet demand.

Win-win for everyone, right? Lower taxes and plenty of corn.

Maybe not, my friend. it seems across the board yields for GMO corn
for example are actually LESS than a properly maintained organic
crop of the same planting area. I promise after this post to dig up some
stats for you... real ones, not Monsanto's.

EDIT:: It seems that the Canadians have a handle on the actual content
of just the corn... I KNOW this is NaturalNews, flame me as you will:
but the sources cited are what count, aren't they?

www.naturalnews.com...

For that Trooper-- After Monsanto bought out DeKalb the corn sucked.
And the nutritional spec'd out to maybe half after settling in. We might
as well eat poly chips by now, who knows. The link above seems to vindicate us.
edit on 1-8-2014 by derfreebie because: Get something from a reputable FAIL oh well.. it was quick anyway

edit on 1-8-2014 by derfreebie because: Sentence construction like a stuck throttle

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 09:44 PM
link   
if this news is true , why the US and EU goverment behaved like the worst tyrant over the world's nation ? this is really saddening after years of demonizing the Soviets as the red menace, they now become their worst enemy.. even worse if i might say something about it.

sadly if this behaviour by US/EU persists, it will caused conflicts in the near future by world's great powers. One thing for sure, if the Russian and the Chinese got together in a strong economic and military alliance , the eastern regions will be lost to US influence , not necessarily without contest from the US military but it is a certainity..

im afraid we are now in the preparation stage of World War III , the non shooting phase, the Economic warfare stage , the push and shove phase..

and with NUKES on both sides , it wont be pretty sight. Might i reminded you of this future fate of USA from the bible ? Anyone can guess what kind of weapon can destroy a nation in just ONE HOUR with FIRE ?

For in one hour such great riches came to nothing.’ Every shipmaster, all who travel by ship, sailors, and as many as trade on the sea, stood at a distance 18 and cried out when they saw the smoke of her burning, saying, ‘What is like this great city?’

www.biblegateway.com...

The World Mourns Babylon’s Fall

9 “The kings of the earth who committed fornication and lived luxuriously with her will weep and lament for her, when they see the smoke of her burning, 10 standing at a distance for fear of her torment, saying, ‘Alas, alas, that great city Babylon, that mighty city! For in one hour your judgment has come.’

11 “And the merchants of the earth will weep and mourn over her, for no one buys their merchandise anymore: 12 merchandise of gold and silver, precious stones and pearls, fine linen and purple, silk and scarlet, every kind of citron wood, every kind of object of ivory, every kind of object of most precious wood, bronze, iron, and marble; 13 and cinnamon and incense, fragrant oil and frankincense, wine and oil, fine flour and wheat, cattle and sheep, horses and chariots, and bodies and souls of men.

14 The fruit that your soul longed for has gone from you, and all the things which are rich and splendid have gone from you,[e] and you shall find them no more at all. 15 The merchants of these things, who became rich by her, will stand at a distance for fear of her torment, weeping and wailing, 16 and saying, ‘Alas, alas, that great city that was clothed in fine linen, purple, and scarlet, and adorned with gold and precious stones and pearls!

17 For in one hour such great riches came to nothing.’ Every shipmaster, all who travel by ship, sailors, and as many as trade on the sea, stood at a distance 18 and cried out when they saw the smoke of her burning, saying, ‘What is like this great city?’

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 09:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

Let's take corn for example.

That is one of the worse examples possible.

Those that are pushing with 'organic' are messing with farmers BIGTIME.

It is only because of the current yields that gmo give do farmers even 'make' a living anymore.

Take a good look at the chart there.

From 1860 to the 1970s would be the 'era' of organic.

The way 'grandpa' use to do it.

With hybrids of today aka GMO corn bushells are now pushing 350 bushels.

Less land is being used.

More food is being grown.

Like I said organic isn't the way.

Because thousands of farmers are going out of the business every year.

Less land is being used every year.

The increase in yields is the only way farmers still compete with the rising land costs,rising machinery costs.

People are free to disagree.

But that corn is used for fuel, not food..look it up!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join