It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who wants to use the “N” word?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 10:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jaellma
a reply to: Drunkenparrot
Video completely staged

I certainly believe that is a possibility but do you have anything besides your word to qualify your statement?

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Real Fn funny

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 11:24 PM
link   
I feel almost totally alone here. I'm an old, white guy. I haven't used the word. I don't see any need to. If it was the appropriate word to use in a conversation, then I suppose I would, but I can never find a use for it.

It seems more descriptive to call a person (any person) ignorant, violent, strung out, goofy looking, drop out, criminal, even bastard. There are better words to use, this one is just too meaningless.
edit on 2-8-2014 by charles1952 because: punctuation

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 11:48 PM
link   
I participated in a similar discussion here on ATS,my take on it is context I know when to laugh at it's use in certain context and when to play the dentist with your teeth in another,some folks can't handle context and will resort to being a dentist in all cases.
Now I understand why some will feel the way they do, in the bad old dayz that's usually the last thing their ancestors heard before the noose tightened around their necks, Urbanites tried to reclaim that word but they ran afoul of the elders in their communities for that word is irredeemable in their eyes.

However it would be a lost in certain comedic skits along with the "B" word
Now the historian in me traced the origins of that word to Niger as in the Niger river according to linguist Bernal it means water that flows into sand as an explanation of that river emptying into the desert.
Because the people on that river were typically black it became one of the many names for Black people,used by non Africans to designate Blacks,Moors,Athiops,
Interestingly enough certain famous individuals carried that name.
Clitus Niger
Clitus Niger,that is Clitus the black". One of Alexander's top generals and king of Bactria,was he Black??? can't answer that but he does carry the name indicating some connection with that river.
Lucius Pescennius Niger
Pescennius the Black,part of a triumvirate of Roman rulers who vied with each other for the role of emperor,his portraiture showed him to be woolly headed but looked to me like a white dude but that's just me eye balling some unpainted coins and statues however he was described as being Black by his soldiers and other contemporaries.

Now when the confusion in the state was at its height, inasmuch as it was made known that there were three several emperors, Septimius Severus, Pescennius Niger, and Clodius Albinus, the priest of the Delphic Apollo was asked which of them as emperor would prove of most profit to the state, whereupon, it is said, he gave voice to a Greek verse as follows:

"Best is the Dark One, the African good, but the worst is the White One."

p449 2 And in this response it was clearly understood that Niger was meant by the Dark One, Severus by the African, and Albinus by the White One. 3 Thereupon the curiosity of the questioners was aroused, and they asked who would really win the empire. To this the priest replied with further verses somewhat as follows:

"Both of the Black and the White shall the life-blood be shed all untimely;

Empire over the world shall be held by the native of Carthage."
penelope.uchicago.edu...*.html

Simeon Niger
Biblical personality

Among the prophets and teachers of the church at Antioch of Syria were Barnabas, Simeon (called "the black man"), Lucius (from Cyrene), Manaen (the childhood companion of King Herod Antipas), and Saul.
biblehub.com...

And there is what seemed to be a more controversial Niger of Scotland
Niger Val Dubh

962-967

Sueno's StoneAfter the death of King Indulf, in battle against the Vikings, Scotland's throne, in accordance with the tanist system, then reverted back to his cousin Dubh mac Mael Coluim, or Duff, nicknamed Dén, "the Vehement" and Niger, "the Black'. He was the son of Malcolm I.

www.englishmonarchs.co.uk...
If I were a betting man I'd say he was probably a descendant of one of Rome's African soldiers stationed at Hadrian's wall that's the only explanation I could come up with as to why any Scot would bare that name and so described.
So far as the history lesson goes it had dignity to it back in the past but can we reclaim it??..not even I have that answer,but users of it should be aware of all it's complexities.

edit on 1-8-2014 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 12:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Diderot

Politically correctness is just another method to control the meanings of the masses and is just another form of totalitarian rule, just as communism is. Our days of modern Democracy has therefore in many ways turned into pure Democrazy instead, turning everything that was once right into wrong and vice versa.

The rules and methods of PC is rapidly growing worse every day and more and more ordinary people are prosecuted, ridicules and brought to silence over all kind of insane PC violations as we speak.

It's by many people regarded as something amusing, but it's sadly dead serious and something that threatens us all. What can we do about it? Probably nothing. As long as the global Mainstream Media is the one that has taken upon themselves to guard and monitor the evil, it is probably nothing we can do other than adapt and see where it all eventually will lead.

Meanwhile we would have to use and follow the directions in the PC dictionary whenever we have an urge to comment on something or somebody in public.

Here is a few samples just to help you avoid some general violations.

black (person of color)
Chicano (person of color)
weird green freak (person of color)
female (person of gender)
horn-dog (person of ardor)
drooling drunk idiot (person on floor)

minority group (under-represented population)
group of blacks (under-represented population of persons of color)
group of whites (L.A.P.D.)

woman (womyn)
women (wymin)
girl (pre-womin)
man (oppressor)
boy (oppressor-to-be)

handicapped (physically challenged)
blind (visually challenged)

edit on 2-8-2014 by helius because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 12:23 AM
link   
By saying N-Word you put the actual word in my Head! So what's the difference?

And yes everybody is allowed to say whatever word he wants to say.

Like "say it loud I'm white and I'm proud"

What's good for one is good for all. If you want equality, there you go!

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 12:28 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 03:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Drunkenparrot

I certainly believe that is a possibility but do you have anything besides your word to qualify your statement?

Quite a few non-black folks would WANT to believe this actually happened but it was staged.

The acting is pretty good in the skit but the mannerisms are a bit off.

There was a video that explained how fake it was but you will have to look for it.

Bottom line: no one, including 99.9999% of black people would react this way to a person saying what the white guy actually said. They would have to be dumb and deaf to do that.

LOL

edit on 2-8-2014 by Jaellma because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 10:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Hellas

I fully concur.

If our country is ever going to become color-blind. If it is ever going to leave racism and discrimination behind, we have to get away from institutionalized bigotry.

A few cases in point of that:
NAACP
Miss Black anything
Black colleges
I could go on and on.

Not to mention the govt supported reverse discrimination which forces colleges, business etc to accept the under-qualified instead of just hiring the qualified regardless of race, creed or religion.

There is a decision before SCOTUS that claims that running a background checks for jobs or housing violates a single race's civil rights. Even if the background checks and decisions are comprehensive and applied without regard of race, it is still claimed to be discriminatory. Why? Because this particular race has a high incident rate of convictions and criminal records. Let's not address the root cause.. by any means.

In other words, you will place other's at risk by having to move in people with murder records, burglary, sex offenders etc etc into a perfectly nice apartment complex.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Whats up my neighbours ?

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 11:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: bbracken677
a reply to: Hellas

I fully concur.

If our country is ever going to become color-blind. If it is ever going to leave racism and discrimination behind, we have to get away from institutionalized bigotry.

A few cases in point of that:
NAACP
Miss Black anything
Black colleges
I could go on and on.

Not to mention the govt supported reverse discrimination which forces colleges, business etc to accept the under-qualified instead of just hiring the qualified regardless of race, creed or religion.

There is a decision before SCOTUS that claims that running a background checks for jobs or housing violates a single race's civil rights. Even if the background checks and decisions are comprehensive and applied without regard of race, it is still claimed to be discriminatory. Why? Because this particular race has a high incident rate of convictions and criminal records. Let's not address the root cause.. by any means.

In other words, you will place other's at risk by having to move in people with murder records, burglary, sex offenders etc etc into a perfectly nice apartment complex.

It's not like
NAACP
Miss Black anything
Black colleges
Came to exist in a vacuum,those institutions came into being for a reason..historical exclusion from so-called "main stream institutions" code word for white institutions that they couldn't participate in,so called "Black media" served a purpose of reporting what's happening in their communities not covered or under served by main stream media,Black colleges are now called" historically Black colleges" as both faculty and students are of diverse back ground,back to Black media for a second Essence a magazine that dealt with African American female middle class issues, like Cosmopolitan is for mainly White female middle class is now edited by a White female,the NAACP always had whites on it's governing board.
Those institutions are not the problem the problem as I see it stems from quite a number of folks who wished to turn back the clock on civil rights,when you have prominent politicians hanging out with Neo-Confederates,you have law enforcement arresting and jailing Black men for non violent drug offences in numbers 4times the rate of white offenders although both use drugs at the same rate,when a job applicant that had the same quals as a white applicant but have a "black" sounding name got little response but the seemingly white applicant got ten times the call back (maybe it's not quite the time to shelve those historically Black institutions. btw the above actually took place
Unemployed Black Woman Pretends to be White,
Job Offers Suddenly Skyrocket

f you don’t believe that racism in the job market is real, then please read this article by Yolanda Spivey. Spivey, who was seeking work in the insurance industry, found that she wasn’t getting any job offers. But as an experiment, she changed her name to Bianca White, to see if employers would respond differently. You’ll be shocked and amazed by her phenomenal story.

www.techyville.com...

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 05:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

No offense, bud, but I am 60 years old and I guarantee you that I have seen more discrimination and racism than you have. I lived in Mississippi for almost 30 years.

I moved to MS for work back in 1976...I was dumfounded when I first saw KKK handing out flyers at an intersection...hoods, sheets and all. Mississippi has changed immensely in the years since then. Even though it still carries the stigma of those times and before, it is not the same state it once was.

Will racism ever leave us entirely? I can hope so, but not in the near future. Times are now where a black person can work hard and succeed without the help of the govt. Those who claim racism are, for the most part (of course there are still notable exceptions occasionally) just playing the race card.

Our govt should be setting the example in following our constitution which guarantees equality. That does not mean that any man, woman, race, creed or religion is "more equal" than others. Period.

When you cannot exercise common sense and apply it equally across the board to maintain a safe apartment community, or cannot refuse to hire a criminal to handle your money, then there is something totally effed up with that system. When that system prevents you from exercising these protections in the name of "discrimination" when you have applied the rules equally across the board, then that is a condemnation of any logic or lack thereof exercised to arrive at that position. That is govt endorsed discrimination of the highest level and sets a very poor example.

You can scream historical discrimination all you want, but the above is the most effed up application of that kind of thinking I have ever heard of.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 06:33 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

"Why do you feel is necessary that ATS allow this? It's a word that many, including myself, find offensive."

Dear Jonathan Livingston, I think that I have failed to clarify my point.

I think that it is necessary that ATS not allow this.
I think that the "N" word, in a racial context, is perhaps the most dangerous and destructive word in the English language.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 06:47 PM
link   
a reply to: helius

"Democrazy"

Dear helius, Thanks for a provocative and intelligent reply. The word above, to me, is the crowning
achievement of your post.
You have distilled the essence of politics into this one word.
"Democrazy" is sheer brilliance and utter stupidity wrapped up in one package.
(And you are brilliant to point it out.)

Also, your point about PC is well taken. But I find it quite ironic that your condemnation of PC is
in itself a statement of what you feel is politically incorrect!

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 10:04 PM
link   
a reply to: bbracken677
Not saying that progress haven't been made and while I do think that certain programs should move away from ethnic and female base to economic base.we can ill afford to sit here and pretend we live in a post racial society,the example you bought up about apt safety, maybe it's a local issue but are you so sure they are not targeting black folks of what ever standing for exclusion based solely on assumption or given the fact that there maybe those who wished to keep their community a certain hue,finding clever ways to go around any civil rights violations issue but having the desired effect had been employed before, and I can tell you this most Black folks is desirous of clean,safe neighborhoods.

Lets talk about the real behind the scene politics for a moment and how the world actually works, not so long ago the bidding for city contracts would typically go to friends and acquaintances golf buddies of the Mayor or governor, (through no fault of their own typically white) , potential minority contractors lacked access even with the customary bribe, complaints about that lack of assess sometimes with racial overtones drove pols to temper those complaints with set asides for minorities and women because they recognize the ol boy network as a reality so they can at-least have the same opportunity to bribe said politicians or become politician to get said bribes , trickle down economics?? those minority and female businesses are usually laden with people they know from their own communities,think employment opportunities and middle class expansion, today we are at a critical mass where little Black business men and little White businessmen/women can hold hands and corrupt all politicians while awkwardly singing

Gad the dis-ingenuousness of these people.
The point is when we truly reach a point where people can respond equally to online shopping with a Black hand holding a product and a white hand holding said product then check racism off the list, until then black folks is gonna remain suspicious and White folks is gonna act out based off assumptions.

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 01:37 PM
link   

The point is when we truly reach a point where people can respond equally to online shopping with a Black hand holding a product and a white hand holding said product then check racism off the list, until then black folks is gonna remain suspicious and White folks is gonna act out based off assumptions.

They is?

My point was simple: either, according to the constitution, we are all equal, or we are not. As long as the govt is telling us we are not then we are not.

I am not advocating an "honor system" but rather a strict adherence to civil rights for everyone, equally applied. No bias for one group over another. Period.

Why, may I ask, if a white person commits an act of violence on a person of color is the crime investigated for the application of "hate crime" but yet when the reverse occurs it matters not what the reason or motive of the attack was, there will never be "hate crime" applied? Is that equality? umm.. not by any rational thinking individual.

Pertinent to my recent post: Why should we have to hire criminals or give apartments to criminals (including sex offenders) even though criminal background checks are run on every potential hire and on every potential resident and the rules applied are applied evenly without regard to race, sex, creed, sexual orientation or religious preference. When criminal backgrounds checks are used as a criteria for hiring or resident approval and are applied evenly, how can that be discriminatory? And yet, there is a case coming before SCOTUS claiming it is discriminatory.....

edit on 3-8-2014 by bbracken677 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Hate crime legislation is an abomination, and should be struck from all the books with extreme prejudice. If someone breaks my nose because they hate natives, or someone breaks my nose because they want to take my wallet, my nose is not more broken either way. Why should someone be punished more for what amounts to a thought crime? It undermines the very principal of equality.

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 02:58 PM
link   
a reply to: TKDRL

Exactly...

btw, I added a last paragraph to my last post, regarding an issue that is coming before SCOTUS that is absolutely ridiculous and yet is indicative of our current administrations approach to racial relations.

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Ok but you seemed to be saying that the Laws are bias in favor of Blacks and others while the real day to day application is anything but.
Hate crime laws?? my guess is that they were aimed at New Nazi's and organized groups at times individuals whose purpose is the carrying out acts of terror based off a political ideology the type of folks who would like to instigate a "RACE WAR" I donno know if it would be better or worst to label such groups or individuals terrorist and send them on vacation to beautiful sunny GITMO but the intent was beyond just a regular fist to fist and someone yelling Nig.

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 08:24 PM
link   

First: We have laws that penalize robbing a person of their civil rights. Do we need hate crimes on top of that? If so, why do those same hate crimes do not apply in the opposite direction? Are we truly equal, or not?

My point is that when the govt starts screwing around trying to "make things right" how often do they actually fix something and how often does the law of "unintentional consequences" come into play?

What has the govt done to fix poverty? Have they helped the poor blacks or trapped them into a never ending cycle of poverty? Have they improved our educational system or introduced the mother of all clusterfunks? Regardless of how you feel about the Affordable Care act, you have to admit it is neither affordable nor a success. I can go on and on....

The the whole idea of Disparate Impact is ludicrous and violates the rights of law abiding citizens regardless of color, creed, sex etc...

Disparate Impact

It is exactly crap like this where the govt just does not know when to stop.... How is my need for safety, as an apt complex resident, less important than letting in a minority member with a freaking criminal background? If I had young children and the apt complex was forced to move in a sex offender because of Disparate Impact how is that fair, how is that justice, how is that not violating the constitutional rights of my and my family?

When one group, one person, one whatever is placed above another by the govt whose constitution clearly states that all are created equal and there are amendments assuring this... exercises clear hypocrisy by making it lawful to do just that, then I just want to scream.

There are already laws guaranteeing equal protection, equal rights.... why do we need to make them unequal in any way?? Is that not violating the same laws above? Is that not already violating the constitution?

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join