It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vietnam: Dad and son discovered hiding in jungle from war for last 40 YEARS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 04:05 PM
link   
WOw, check this out......

Hiding in Jungle from war for last 40 years

This man and his son have been hiding in the Jungle for the last 40 years.

The Dad fled from his village after a mine exploded killing his wife and 2 other sons, taking his remaining son with him.
They survived from growing corn and fruit, and have had no human contact since.

Until now.

This is a fascinating story. Just shows how we can survive in the wild for a long time.
I kinda feel sorry for them now, Im sure they are going to have a really confusing time getting back into modern society. I feel if it was me, I would end up going back into the jungle.

What do you guys think?

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 04:09 PM
link   
I remember this story, I made a thread about it.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 04:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: gosseyn
I remember this story, I made a thread about it.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Damn search. I was surprised the search showed no results for me.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 04:11 PM
link   
a reply to: pennydrops

What a shock they will have. They won the conflict and yet Saigon looks and acts like a capitalistic city.
Such is the folly of believing in war unless you consider yourself expendable to the cause.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 04:16 PM
link   

They said because of a mine. I wonder what the long term traumatizing effects of B52 Arc light strikes are?

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Didn't we see the same story after wwii only it was a Japanese man? Yes we did. It also showed up in a few sitcoms in the sixties. One that comes to mind is an episode of Gilligans island.
edit on PMu31u0883126312014-08-01T16:26:46-05:00 by AutumnWitch657 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 04:27 PM
link   
The ghostery add on is blocking my search results. Oh well, im not turning that off.

Mods and Rockers, please remove.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Sometimes it can seem as if all that surrounds us is darkness, as if all is shadows and blackness. With all the million fold dooms befalling our species daily, it is easy to fall to despair and sorrow, rather than rallying to a banner of joy.

But it is when faced with tales such as this, such bright shards which pierce the cowl of shadows drawn about the human race, that we catch a glimpse of the light, and dare to dream, to hope, and to flourish in the wonder they inspire in our hearts.

Though the circumstances which lead that father to flee with his son, to the deepest woodland, and hide from the rest of their fellow men, were of the most dire and catastrophic nature, the fact that this man protected his son, developed effective strategies to keep them both alive, and taught his son to live in nature with him, and the fact that this pair have survived until now, should inspire every human being who has ever struggled with the shadow.

We should look upon our problems and consider them beside those which bought this circumstance to pass for these two brave souls. I am humbled by the implications of these two surviving for as long as they have, by the protective instinct of that father, an instinct lacking in many fathers with better circumstances to work with. In terms of the way this pair should be dealt with by society in Vietnam, I rather think that it would be an idea to allow these two to do as they please, until they are ready to fully involve themselves in the affairs of the outside world.

It would be unreasonable to force them to give up their forest life in a jarring and sudden manner, especially for the younger of the two, who will find verbal communication difficult, probably until the end of his life. Living in society requires certain skills, skills for which a jungle life is ineffective preparation. Forms, taxes, motorcars, rules, regulations, the trappings of "civilised" life. These things are not easy to understand for those of us who have lived with them all our lives, in any nation.

If at all, the transition should be made slowly and with great care!

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Reminded me of that moovie blast from the past, strange I should stumble upon this thread whilst just now thinking of doing this sort of thing myself lol...

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Most folks in the west would have died, he knew the region, already knew how to survive there.

Most folks I know in Oklahoma, if they don't live in the sticks and hunt and fish they don't have the knowledge, will to survive will only go so far without knowledge.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I can appreciate the steadfastness of living in the jungle alone for 40 years with the goal of protecting ones life and the life of a child. Admirable.

Yet I also have to wonder at the ability of the human mind to shut down and no longer explore other possibilities of existence. For 40 years there was apparently no attempt to even find out IF there was an outside world any longer. IF, the war was over. How great the fear must have been to have remained secluded for so long. To have hidden from the truth for 4 decades.

If we wish to take this stalwart father as an inspiration to human resourcefulness and protective parenthood, I think we also need to consider this example of human behavior in light that they lived for 40 years with no knowledge of the larger world around them.

I wonder at how much we all hide from reality which may not be what we think it to be at all.

edit on 1-8-2014 by TerryMcGuire because: (no reason given)

top topics

join