It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Uganda anti-gay law declared 'null and void' by constitutional court

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 10:02 PM
link   
a reply to: JohnPhoenix

How about not just promoting safe sex but go one step further and ensure all people on earth through the UN have medical and dental and human equal rights, and outlaw all things that are opposed to it, including land and homes without property tax that cannot be taken from them for any reason, even imprisonment or if they grow a garden in their front yard, have chickens and a outdoor cloth line, and that no one has any right to deprive them of their land and home.

How about a freaking decent world?

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 12:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aloysius the Gaul

originally posted by: LukeDAP
A very small step for the world when it comes to LGBT rights, ...

Or, as I prefer to call them, HUMAN RIGHTS.

VERY good point.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 12:42 AM
link   
a reply to: knoledgeispower

No problem Knoledge. Its one of those things I feel future generations will look back and say wow... those guys really had to endure these kinds of things. Similar to how my generation views the civil rights movement.

And yes John Oliver's show is done very well. Check out his youtube channel and the videos he does. I would put him on par with/ if not above John Stewart. He delivers news in a relevant and appealing platform.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 12:53 AM
link   

I do so wish that the article headline was not so exciting. If it had been a bit more bland, you're eye might have been caught by some of the text.

Gay rights campaigners in Uganda and around the world are celebrating a decision by the country's constitutional court to strike down a widely condemned anti-gay law on a legal technicality.

Activists in the courtroom cheered after a panel of five judges ruled on Friday that the speaker of parliament acted illegally when she allowed a vote on the measure despite at least three objections that not enough MPs were in attendance.

While celebrating the ruling, activists warned that homosexuality remained a criminal offence in the east African country under colonial-era laws. (Emphasis added)

So they re-pass it after the speaker studies the rule book. Sorry, no good news here.

They don't even have to re-pass it. It's still illegal under other laws.
edit on 2-8-2014 by charles1952 because: Add a bit.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 01:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: charles1952

I do so wish that the article headline was not so exciting. If it had been a bit more bland, you're eye might have been caught by some of the text.

Gay rights campaigners in Uganda and around the world are celebrating a decision by the country's constitutional court to strike down a widely condemned anti-gay law on a legal technicality.

Activists in the courtroom cheered after a panel of five judges ruled on Friday that the speaker of parliament acted illegally when she allowed a vote on the measure despite at least three objections that not enough MPs were in attendance.

While celebrating the ruling, activists warned that homosexuality remained a criminal offence in the east African country under colonial-era laws. (Emphasis added)

So they re-pass it after the speaker studies the rule book. Sorry, no good news here.

They don't even have to re-pass it. It's still illegal under other laws.

I had seen that it was on a technicality. In the original post I quoted "We come to the conclusion that she acted illegally." With the world illegally underlined.

I did however miss the second part about it still being illegal under colonial-era laws. Let's hope that get's changed fast.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join