It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA: New "impossible" engine works, could change space travel forever

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 12:06 PM
link   
(I checked, did a search, thought this would be up on ATS, found nothing, or someone may beat me to it by the time I'm done posting this)

So, this guy Roger Sawyer invented this EmDrive engine, and everyone laughed at him. From what I read in the article, the Chinese gave it a shot and made it work. Everyone says it wasn't supposed to work, from the first paragraph in the article they say it went against the laws of physics.

I find it odd, that now Guido Fetta and a team at NASA made one that in the article says "works on the same principles" but doesn't produce as much thrust. It kind of bothers me when someone is ridiculed and not given a chance, I've been there many times. Stuff like this feels a bit personal to me. But I am glad that now people are taking it more seriously.

Amazing that it can produce thrust with just solar energy.

Sawyer's engine is extremely light and simple. It provides a thrust by "bouncing microwaves around in a closed container." The microwaves are generated using electricity that can be provided by solar energy. No propellant is necessary, which means that this thrusters can work forever unless a hardware failure occurs. If real, this would be a major breakthrough in space propulsion technology.

NASA: New "impossible" Engine works
edit on 1-8-2014 by Majestic Lumen because: spelling

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 12:08 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thread closed.

Lol j/k, I am not a mod : )

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Majestic Lumen
It has be done, two threads yesterday. To add, it's still a great story though.

edit on 1-8-2014 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Majestic Lumen
(I checked, did a search, thought this would be up on ATS, found nothing, or someone may beat me to it by the time I'm done posting this)

So, this guy Roger Sawyer invented this EmDrive engine, and everyone laughed at him. From what I read in the article, the Chinese gave it a shot and made it work. Everyone says it wasn't supposed to work, from the first paragraph in the article they say it went against the laws of physics.

I find it odd, that now Guido Fetta and a team at NASA made one that in the article says "works on the same principles" but doesn't produce as much thrust. It kind of bothers me when someone is ridiculed and not given a chance, I've been there many times. Stuff like this feels a bit personal to me. But I am glad that now people are taking it more seriously.

Amazing that it can produce thrust with just solar energy.

Sawyer's engine is extremely light and simple. It provides a thrust by "bouncing microwaves around in a closed container." The microwaves are generated using electricity that can be provided by solar energy. No propellant is necessary, which means that this thrusters can work forever unless a hardware failure occurs. If real, this would be a major breakthrough in space propulsion technology.

NASA: New "impossible" Engine works

This has already been posted twice now I think. I cannot find them with the search either though otherwise I would link them here. Sorry.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 12:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: pennydrops
I cannot find them with the search either though otherwise I would link them here. Sorry.

Right here.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 12:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: NoRulesAllowed

Thread closed.

Lol j/k, I am not a mod : )

You a rocker?

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 12:13 PM
link   
haha Damn I had a feeling that would happen, I just read about this today and figured it would be on here, wanted to see what the ATS community had to say (great minds on here and all, myself not included lol) couldn't find it. Figured I'd post it just in case.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 12:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

I cannot find them with the search either though otherwise I would link them here. Sorry.

Right here.

Thanks Augustus Masonicus. (Like the name. If i ever have a child, this will be his name...lol)

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 12:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Majestic Lumen
haha Damn I had a feeling that would happen, I just read about this today and figured it would be on here, wanted to see what the ATS community had to say (great minds on here and all, myself not included lol) couldn't find it. Figured I'd post it just in case.

Happens all the time. Search isnt very good on ats.

The fact you are a member of ATS automatically qualifies you to having a great mind.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Thanks Augustus Masonicus. (Like the name. If i ever have a child, this will be his name...lol)

The whole thing or just the Augustus part?

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Existing thread here:

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion.
Thank you

-thread closed-

top topics

join