It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Michelle Obama: The Fact That Over 58,000 Vets Are Homeless Should 'Horrify' Us

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Just for the record a collage degree framed on the wall does not mean much in America.Our education system is not that good . Most of the smartest people have no formal education just saying.. a few links 4 ya
www.investopedia.com...

www.huffingtonpost.com...

from link..The United States places 17th in the developed world for education, according to a global report by education firm Pearson.

Finland and South Korea, not surprisingly, top the list of 40 developed countries with the best education systems. Hong Kong, Japan and Singapore follow. The rankings are calculated based on various measures, including international test scores, graduation rates between 2006 and 2010, and the prevalence of higher education seekers.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Regardless of your stance on Obama's overreach of power, what Obama can do is largely more than what he is doing, which is nothing. He's not even talking about it. Instead focusing on people who aren't citizens of the US over the veterans. Off the top of my head, he could be working with Congress to push legislation through that overhauls the system. The VA also falls under the executive branch (they have a secretary of the va), he could make changes administratively. There is plenty he could do that is within his Constitutional delegated authority. Hell even if he was overreaching again (like he likes to do with all his pet projects), at least it will be a cause that the majority of Americans could get behind.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 11:07 AM
link   
and from wiki these links show you do not need formal education to be a successful..
en.wikipedia.org...
another
overmanwarrior.wordpress.com...
edit on 1-8-2014 by switchqm8 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 11:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Logarock
a reply to: switchqm8
I personally think this high vet homeless number is a bunch of nonsense. Its part of the larger psyop to spread this info around.

Not sure what your first sentence meant.

My thoughts on veteran's issues are kinda like this. Substitute that annoying whiny sound. You know, the one when people are playing on your sympathies 'for the sake of the children' ... and you'll never fall for the ol' veteran schtick.

For the readership in general: People who want to do something for a vet need to 'do it.' Don't talk about it. Don't try. Get it done ... or don't start. Anything else is a disservice.

Politicians _use_ veterans. That's the way it is. They really have no interest in a whole-hearted attempt to correct. I've often thought they shouldn't ... but I know they shouldn't capitalize on any existing plight. Veteran issues are huge. If you see a politician talking about them ... don't believe anything they'll do is more than promise a band-aid for a vote. I've always thought the Republicans were the worst offenders ... but now the first lady too?

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 11:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
Regardless of your stance on Obama's overreach of power, what Obama can do is largely more than what he is doing, which is nothing.

That's not true.

Homeless Veterans Initiative
About the Initiative

In 2009, President Barack Obama and VA Secretary Eric K. Shinseki announced the goal of ending Veteran homelessness by the end of 2015. Together with partners and supporters nationwide, VA is determined to meet that challenge through the Homeless Veterans Outreach Initiative, an unprecedented commitment to those who served our nation but lack safe, secure housing.

Between 2009 and 2013, there was a 23.49 percent reduction in Veteran homelessness. To build on our progress, VA has increased programs and funding to help Veterans who are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless. In fiscal 2014, VA will dedicate $1.4 billion to specialized homeless programs and $5.4 billion to health care for Veterans who are homeless.

Off the top of my head, he could be working with Congress to push legislation through that overhauls the system.

Excuse me??? "working with Congress"?? The House won't even pass a jobs bill or ANYTHING that's Obama's idea. They'd rather crap on the vets than work with Obama.

[www.dailykos.com...]GOP Voted Against 7 Bills to Help Veterans[/url]

The rejected Bills are named:

H.R. 466 – Wounded Veteran Job Security Act became H. R. 2875.

H.R. 1168 -- Veterans Retraining Act

H.R. 1171 – Homeless Veterans Reintegration Program Reauthorization

H.R. 1172 -- Requiring List on VA Website of Organizations Providing Scholarships for Veterans

H.R. 1293 -- Disabled Veterans Home Improvement and Structural Alteration Grant Increase Act of 2009

H.R. 1803 -- Veterans Business Center Act

H.R. 2352 – Job Creation Through Entrepreneurship Act

By the way, I am against Obama's overreach, but I don't think he has abused his power. He has to get SOMETHING done and with this obstructionist House, the only way he can get anything done is to use his power to the fullest.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Well I'll give you that. I can't just blame Obama. I gotta blame government in general. As a veteran myself, I shouldn't have made that mistake to begin with. I'm used to the government crapping on me and my peers (except in 2008 when we got the new GI Bill, thank you Bush. for once).

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 01:53 PM
link   
You know, being the young, naive person that I am, I used to blame Obama for a lot of the reasons this country is going down the toilet. I mean, aside from previous administrations, this stupid, entitled generation, and Ebola (it can't all be his fault, right?)

But I can rest assured, to know he's not alone.

He's got Michelle/Michael right next to him doing some of the dirty work.

Starve out our own (bad school lunches, small lunches), continue to ignore our veterans, and think of the "children," so long as they're not from this country.

Oh, and why not take another vacation, Obamas! It's on us!

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 02:16 PM
link   
And 4 the record i don't blame just obama. It is the whole dam government that is the problem..

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Oh yeah, I know.

I just wanted to show the Obamas a little love...

Time to hit the reset button, methinks.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Big Government grants have been issued by the Secy. of Veterans Affairs to non profits to help end veterans' homelessness. How these non profits actually distributed those grants and how they spent the money is anyone's guess.

Through the homeless Veterans initiative, VA committed over $1 billion in fiscal year 2013 to strengthen programs that prevent and end homelessness among Veterans. VA provides a range of services to homeless Veterans, including health care, job training, and education.

More info on VA grants

edit on 1-8-2014 by queenofswords because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 03:25 PM
link   
a reply to: switchqm8 Obama could give orders to DOD to provide housing for them. There are enough closed bases with houses and barracks that the DOD could clean up and provide for the Vets. Cancel a plane or ship and take care of our troops.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Not to mention all the abandoned houses rotting away because of unethical banking practices/foreclosures. I say give the homes to vets starting with the disabled first.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 02:18 PM
link   

While she have a valid point, I see it as nothing but "rhetoric", see, I grew up in post Vietnam and I remember how many of the Vietnam vets were treated as nothing more than vermin by our own government, I remember walking busy shopping streets in the early seventies and seen these dirty looking men on the corners without legs and missing hands begging for money, my mother will cross the street to avoid getting too close to them.

Yes mistreating our vets is not a modern issue, is been happening for decades, see complain and bringing the problem to the spot light means nothing unless our government get their head out of their rear end and do something about.

Sadly our government rather spend our tax dollars helping somebody else than our own people that invested their lives serving our nation.

edit on 6-8-2014 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Booooo! You wanna talk about vets? You want us to care about vets? Booooo!!! With people like her, its no wonder why they use to burn 'witches' at the stake.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Just because a person is a "vet" doesn't make them automatically a great person. They're not all wonderful heroes. The military is made up of all kinds of people. Some were losers when they went in (the choice was Army or jail), and they're losers when they come out. And this kind of problem with what to do with ex-military people always happens during a troop reduction.

Plenty of very expensive programs already in place to help vets who really need it.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Michelle Obama should horrify us.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 05:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift
Just because a person is a "vet" doesn't make them automatically a great person. They're not all wonderful heroes. The military is made up of all kinds of people. Some were losers when they went in (the choice was Army or jail), and they're losers when they come out. And this kind of problem with what to do with ex-military people always happens during a troop reduction.

Plenty of very expensive programs already in place to help vets who really need it.

You are right and very much wrong!

Today, the military is very choosy as to who serves and they do not take people who have criminal records. Your statement about having the choice of the army or jail is incorrect. This may have been true in the 1960s while McNamara was implementing his "Project 100000" which profoundly effected the military but certainly not now.

It's true that the military takes all types of people. They make every effort to instill training as to proper and courteous behavior while in uniform. Failure to comply to these customs and courtesies can result in fines and or imprisonment. As in any cross-section of the public, some learn more slowly and some can't adjust at all. These people are discharged.

Not all vet are heroes...this is true in the general sense. Most vets don't consider themselves heroes regardless of their records. They are very much aware that civilians have no idea what they do.

The vet who has seen combat and is a hero usually suffers as a result. They all have PTSD to some degree. They may have Traumatic Brain Injuries from being close to large explosions. Like I said, they all suffer. They all handle their pain differently. Some self medicate by drugs or alcohol. Some are violent domestically. Some can't hold a job and sleep on the streets. Some have extreme physical injuries that makes working impossible. Are these the losers that you are referring?

If I was king for a day, I would re-institute the draft so everyone would have a chance to be a hero...especially the Michele Obama. You'll get a different perspective on life.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Oh damn me.

How you can take something as positive as this and nitpick it is simply beyond me.

The numbers don't matter as much as the sentiment. Even one homeless vet (against his or her will that is) is too many.

Number of homeless vets drops, but VA goal might be out of reach

“We may have to re-examine what success is,” said John Driscoll, president of the National Coalition for Homeless Veterans.

“Programs are headed in the right direction. But we’re only beginning to see what the real demand for services will be for the younger veterans. I think 2015 was an ambitious goal … and we may need to recalibrate how long we’ll be in that rescue mission.”

According to the Department of Housing and Urban Development annual point-in-time count released Thursday, the number of homeless veterans across the country dropped to 57,849 in January 2013.

That’s down about 5,000 people from the 2012 count and almost 25 percent from the count of 76,329 in 2010, the first conducted after officials announced their campaign to end veterans homelessness.

edit on 8/6/2014 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 04:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: buddah6
Today, the military is very choosy as to who serves and they do not take people who have criminal records.

Just on the verge of getting a criminal record. Or stagnant in their lives and headed toward homelessness even though they are not exactly criminals. Sometimes that's their choice.

Well, according to the study: The Military as a Bridging Environment in Criminal Careers: Differential Outcomes of the Military Experience by Leana Allen Bouffard and published by the Department of Criminal Justice & Political Science at North Dakota State University indicate that results from the National Longitudinal Survey of Youth suggest that, "... during the first few years of the all-volunteer force, some groups do appear to become involved in more violent offending after entering the military."

Are these the losers that you are referring?

That's not who I'm talking about. People who are injured or disabled as a result of their experiences in the military should be given the same opportunity for treatment as anyone hurt on the job. That's not their fault. But it shouldn't be a huge shock that sometimes people entering the military without much positive going on in their lives are not going to have a whole lot positive going on when they get out.

edit on 7-8-2014 by Blue Shift because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 04:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: ~Lucidity
Even one homeless vet (against his or her will that is) is too many.

It would be nice if everyone's problems were solved, regardless whether they're a vet or not. Are homeless mothers who have had their husbands or boyfriends run out on them somehow less deserving of a home, food, and medical care than a veteran? Exactly how? Or a non-veteran who has a mental illness? "Well, sorry, buddy. It sucks to be crazy, and we'd help you if you were a veteran, but otherwise go fish."

Life sucks all around. Some people's lives suck more than others. Even Jesus said, "The poor will always be with us."

edit on 7-8-2014 by Blue Shift because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join