Emory Healthcare to treat Ebola patient

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Emory University Hospital is expected to receive a patient infected with the deadly Ebola virus within the next several days, the university announced Thursday.
It’s unclear when exactly the patient will arrive, according to a statement from Emory. The Clifton Road hospital has a specially built isolation unit to treat patients exposed to certain serious infectious diseases. Set up in collaboration with the Atlanta-based U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the unit is physically separate from other patient areas and is one of only four such facilities in the country.

Emory Healthcare to treat Ebola patient

WTF? They are flying 2 Ebola patients into the US to treat them? Why would they do this? One is going to Emory in Atlanta where I live.

This is unbelievable to me....why would you fly an infected person into a country without anyone infected?
edit on 7/31/14 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 06:05 PM
link   
They will have a much better chance of survival in a modern western hospital.

Its a planned mefical transfer to a secure hospital with proper isolation facilities.

They are not being dumped on a packed comercial flight,

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 07:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

Why, why, why would we be looking for an epidemic in our country? I feel bad for these people, by WHY are the "officials" going to risk this???

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 07:57 PM
link   
a reply to: tinker9917
Because they are Americans - missionaries who were "helping" in the area.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Hmm. I just posted this in another thread.

Too close to home for my comfort. Way too close. This is beginning to worry me...a lot. All it takes is one accident.

It also might not be coincidental that the CDC is here too.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Africa:
High quarantine zones with procedures and such in place.
- Doctors and scientists are getting infected

US:
University Hospital that I'm guessing will have the same kind of containment.
- What are the chances of infection?

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Allow me to clarify just how "safe" these people who deal with these diseases really are. I live in Atlanta and my EX-wife is a SUPERVISOR at the CDC who works every day with EBOLA and every other nasty thing you can imagine. Every day she has to go through wearing the "suit" and then go through the decontamination procedure before coming home.

Well, one day she gets home and I'm on the front porch to greet her. She reaches for the front doorknob to go inside and then she pauses, looks down at her feet, then looks up at me with a panic-stricken face...

SHE FORGOT TO CHANGE HER SHOES AND WAS WEARING THE SAME SHOES SHE WORE INTO THE DAMN LAB SHE HANDLES THOSE DISEASES IN!!!

She simply shook it off and said, "Well, there's nothing I can do about it now," and took her shoes off and left them outside on the porch. She went on the next day as if nothing had ever happened.

So with that said, all you people talking about how "safe" this is and how "professional" all these people are... no offense, but you don't know what you're talking about. These "professionals" are all HUMAN and they make mistakes ON A REGULAR BASIS. I'm sure it's not intentional, but by them knowingly bringing people infected with Ebola into the US, this is definitely a disaster waiting to happen.

As I said earlier, she is now my EX-wife. Living with her was just way too damn stressful!

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Comment from the AJC: I concur.

This is entirely irresponsible to bring the deadliest virus from the deadliest outbreak into US just so people at CDC can play God. My son works at Emory and Emory agreeing to this places its employees and patients at risk without any type of assurance that this is safe. If they really believe this is safe, the CEO of Emory University Hospital and the head of CDC should spend a few nights in the hospital and prove to their employees and patients that this is okay. If they are unwilling to do that, why should Emory employees and patients put themselves in a situation where the Emory CEO and CDC head would not?

People of Atlanta: we need to find a way to have our voice heard. AJC: if you have any journalistic integrity, demand an answer from Emory and the CDC other than just news releases!

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 09:49 PM
link   

"WTF? They are flying 2 Ebola patients into the US to treat them? Why would they do this? One is going to Emory in Atlanta where I live."

They would do this because the 2 patients are US citizens, healthcare workers who deserve the best care possible.
Perhaps the problem is far more complex. In addition, a US citizen has died, and the fear that air traffic poses a far greater risk should be considered. It seems that a certain degree of trust is needed and warranted.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Another example of government idiocy in action. No Ebola has made it to the US yet? No problem, let's FLY it in!

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Wow, I feel really bad for you folks in Kansas if Ebola comes there. The "top expert" there said this to CNN:

Dr. Lee Norman, chief medical officer at The University of Kansas Hospital:

"Ebola cannot be transmitted via coughs or sneezes."

Compare what he said to what the CDC says:

From the "CDC Interim Guidance about Ebola Virus Infection for Airline Flight Crews, Cargo and Cleaning Personnel, and Personnel Interacting with Arriving Passengers":

Transmission to humans may occur through direct contact with blood or body fluids (e.g., saliva, and urine) of an infected person or animal or through contact with objects that have been contaminated with the blood or other body fluids of an infected person.

Provide the sick passenger with a surgical mask (if the passenger can tolerate wearing one) to reduce the number of droplets expelled into the air by talking, sneezing, or coughing.

www.cnn.com...

www.cdc.gov...

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 10:20 PM
link   
This doesn't make sense. Even though these are American's, why put them into what liberals say is a "broken and woefully inadequate" healthcare delivery system? Wouldn't they have a better medical outcome in Canada, or some other country with a Government-Run Universal healthcare system?
-cwm

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 10:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Kuroodo

The containment here is much greater. In Africa the most protection a healthcare worker gets is a mask and some gloves. Sure they have protocols for disposing of them after coming in contact with a patient but that's hardly going to help if they vomit in your face. To give you an idea of the level of containment that will be seen here in the states I suggest you look at the protocols for BSL-4 facilities here in the States.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 10:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Ameilia

No Ebola has made it here to the states? That's funny I could have sworn there researchers across the country studying it in labs employing the same containment protocols as those at Emory's containment unit. We've already had numerous samples from the current outbreak brought over. Of course for whatever reason people worry less about that fact.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 10:33 PM
link   
a reply to: LrdRedhawk

Yikes!

And correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the CDC just misplace some deadly viruses not too long ago?

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 11:24 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust
sure - if you pay them......their systems are for their citizens - that's what THEIR taxpayers pay for - Yanks can pay their own damned way and use their own damned system!

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 12:05 AM
link   
With the creation of the IS and this ebola thing

Im begining to think someone wants to bring about the end times

Horsemen of the apocalypse perhaps?

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 12:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Another_Nut

And so it begins...
Years from now they will say it all started in Atlanta...

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 12:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ameilia

Another example of government idiocy in action. No Ebola has made it to the US yet? No problem, let's FLY it in!

The Ebola Virus already has residence in the USA

The Ebola Virus is currently sitting in the Galveston University of Texas Medical Branch Lab.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 01:11 AM
link   
The 2 people being flown to Emory are in fact Americans. Both are missionaries and one is a doctor.

Emory was chosen because it is one o the very best hospitals in the world! The potential for outbreak is far less with the CDC being right down the street. The CDC needs to be all hands on deck to deal with this grave situation.

These 2 people have given everything so others will live!! They deserve the most respect and best chance at beating this horrific disease...This is not some conspiracy planned to wipe out humanity...Yes, it is risky but because we are humanitarians this what we do!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join