It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ebola Patient in Atlanta Hospital

page: 42
<< 39  40  41    43  44  45 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 08:04 PM
link   
a reply to: lovebeck

I posted earlier how my daughter and ER and trauma center nurse has been exposed many, many times to fluids due to the fact that sometimes time matters in life and death situations she has done her fair share of cleaning after, vomits, blood splattering and diarrhea, yes is sounds nasty but is the truth, nurses life is not full of glamour and "general hospital" kind of settings.

Many times she will come home and leave her clothing by the door in plastic bag.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Well, I give it two months. Because of you dumbarses wanted to experiment with it. No different than the bath salt epidemic. So, here it comes. You have no one to blame but yourselves. Bath salts, really? I never believed that in the first place. But go on with your charades.
edit on 2-8-2014 by Diabolical because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Experience is a grand teacher, and I promise you, no doctor, nurse, or other highly paid person would "lower" themselves to scrubbing vomit, urine, or feces from a floor, nor will they be the ones incinerating contaminated linens and paper plates and plastic forks. It is just how it is.

If they chain of custody is followed, it might be by a police officer or rent a cop, but that's about the extent of it. If a good ball game is on t.v., or he is distracted by his girl on a cellphone or the sexy nurse in the hallway, you can bet dollars to donuts he will tell the guy, "Just take it to the basement, brah. I trust ya man!"

Libertygal, do you work as a Nurse? If so for how long? This is an extremely offensive and misleading! i do not know what your experience is but it sounds like you work with people who received there training off of a crackerjack box!

When you work in a level 1 trauma center, you are exposed to body fluids all the time! I have worked in ICU and can tell you right now that if a patient which happens around the clock soil himself we clean it up!! I have scrubbed toilets, cleaned up floors mopped disinfected surfaces, beds you name it!! When a person is placed in general isolation! Everything you bring in that room must be disposed us of properly including plastic ware, gown, gloves, mask, hat, booties etc....there are certain containers marked for disposables and linens are done separate from the rest of the hospital population......Any nurse worth their salt takes the precautions every single time, no exceptions!

So it would be better if you did not throw us all under the bus because you have experienced less than the standard protocol! If this is what you are used to perhaps you should look for a better facility to work for!

pax

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 08:13 PM
link   
a reply to: paxnatus

You sound experienced yourself, that you are working there. Why should we believe you? Like you can't make a mistake?

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 08:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: lovebeck

originally posted by: Libertygal

originally posted by: ~Lucidity
a reply to: Libertygal

Yeah, I didn't want to assume, though.

I know.
me either.

Like I said, I work around these people, I have way too many stories, things that would make make people faint, but it falls often, on deaf ears.

Experience is a grand teacher, and I promise you, no doctor, nurse, or other highly paid person would "lower" themselves to scrubbing vomit, urine, or feces from a floor, nor will they be the ones incinerating contaminated linens and paper plates and plastic forks. It is just how it is.

If they chain of custody is followed, it might be by a police officer or rent a cop, but that's about the extent of it. If a good ball game is on t.v., or he is distracted by his girl on a cellphone or the sexy nurse in the hallway, you can bet dollars to donuts he will tell the guy, "Just take it to the basement, brah. I trust ya man!"

Who is there, to police the police?

Spiff happens. All we can do now is to hope and pray, and that's IT. Protocol on ANYTHING just doesn't matter to some people, so yeah, they may have to pay the price, but so may some others.

It only remains to be seen, and that's the plain truth of the matter. No hysterics, you see. Just. Plain. Truth.

While that may be true for doctors, don't EVER assume it's the same for us "highly paid" nurses! I literally CANNOT count the times I, MYSELF, have scrubbed and cleaned ALL SORTS of bodily fluids from ALL SORTS of surfaces including the floor! Nor can I count the times that I've seen ANOTHER nurse have to do that.

You have no idea what you are talking about here...EVERYWHERE I have worked, if a large amount of blood, urine and especially VOMIT OR STOOL is on the floor, bed, counter, whatever; THE NURSE cleans it up! Not the housekeeping staff, janitor, or the super elusive Nurse Helper Fairy!

Sheesh! This sort of thinking really irritates me. What do people think we do all day? Dress up in little white dresses with white stocking and stripper heels to give pervy old men sponge baths? NO!

We use washcloths, not sponges!!!

Shame on you...

People don't quite understand what it's like to work in the medical field. I think quite a few would be surprised at the things we do. I've cleaned up after many a patient. The only time I didn't have to do that was in the OR. We had great people that were always on the ball and cleaning before we even had time to think. They really made it easy to get our work done.

Just remember folks! I went to college and paid to get a degree just so you could vomit, piss, # and bleed on me and then clean it up.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 08:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Khaleesi

I got paid a degree, didn't have to vomit though.
No one chose your field. You did.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Take the Flu for example. Sci scientists think there are still unknown ways how the virus or more properly the disease spread. Even if you lock your self indoor alone you will still get the Flu. That's why bring patients here was a grave mistake and flatly violates quarantine procedure. They should been quarantined in west Africa not bring the virus across the mighty Atlantic.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 08:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Diabolical

But when you and people like you need me ... well aren't you glad I did choose it. Have to say my patients have always appreciated me when they needed a bedpan. They always said thank you. You should try it sometime.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 08:24 PM
link   
All these jobs will be happily worked by "illegal" immigrants.

JUST SAYIN!

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 08:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Khaleesi

But when you and people like you need me ... well aren't you glad I did choose it. Have to say my patients have always appreciated me when they needed a bedpan. They always said thank you. You should try it sometime.

I don't go to a hospital unless it is a dire necessity. If I feel like I am dying, then I will go to the hospital. They haven't helpped then, and now that this is loose, I doubt they will help me now. Considering, insurance is your first priority, which my insurance is not, they will let me die in peace.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 08:28 PM
link   
a reply to: lovebeck
I see nurses clean it off the patients every day, but not the floors. They throw towels over it, and tell ME, yes ME, to call housekeeping.

So, you can get off the almighty horse, I get it, 3 days a week, from real life experience. No, not even the nurses will make the patient care tech clean it up. They make ME call housekeeping.

So, no, I am not making it up, imagining it, or wishing it, I live it.

If things are different where you work, then bully for you, but that's NOT how it is where I work, and implying I said otherwise for any other reason is assinine.

Where I work, the nurses do a heck of a lot more than clean poo and urine. They titrate cardiac and insulin drips, suction vent patients, deal with feeding pumps, do hourly vital signs and glucose checks, and our parient care techs are hardly elusive. Their care load is only 6-7 patients on days, and only a couple more on nights. Most nurses only have two patients, some may be one on one, if they are critical enough.

Sorry if you work in a different environment where your housekeeping doesn't... well, housekeep, but that's not how it is where I work.

And, the only one who came even close to high heels and pervy old men.. was you.

So, shame on who, exactly?

edit on 2-8-2014 by Libertygal because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Jesus H, people, quit with the infighting. We're all here to share relevant info. I stayed in the ICU with my brother at Children's of Atlanta/Egleston while he died of a rejected liver transplant, in the ICU, and I saw nurses clean his poo-laden bed, and also forgot to wash my hands on the way out/in of the ICU (as well as other families), despite the huge signs reminding me to do so. I saw dirty floors, and also nurses using anti-bacterial foam every single time they opened his door.

Nurses are the most underrated professionals in the world, and I thank God for the amazing ones that cared for him. I also saw disease-prevention controls being breached every single day. We are human, and that's the point of this thread: medical professionals know better than anyone how to prevent the spread of disease, and they're also the ones who become the most comfortable with protocols and forget to adhere to them every single time.

THAT'S THE POINT. Humans are fallible, and immeasurably compassionate. It's the combination of BOTH that makes this scary.

Slow your roll, snowflakes. It takes ALL kinds. Quit fighting and get back to the subject at hand.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 08:42 PM
link   
a reply to: paxnatus

I'm sure there are a few that a fairly bumbling. I met one not long ago that gave my father the wrong blood type. Damned near killed him. Everyone makes mistakes including nurses.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 08:44 PM
link   
a reply to: adnanmuf

That is exactly my point friend, why bring ebola to America when never before this was allowed when it comes to highly infectious disease, who allowed this to happen and for what reason, regardless of the two infected been Americans, other Americans that has been infected before are left in the country of infections

People needs to stop and take a good look at just happen in the last 24 hour, is unprecedented.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Camel an help considered containing antibodies that are generic meaning multilayer meaning can engage any pathogen especially viruses!!!!
But of course the FDA won't let us get it.
So then just pray.Camel milk is prohibited by FDA to protect the pharmacy giants.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 08:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Khaleesi

I don't go to a hospital unless it is a dire necessity. If I feel like I am dying, then I will go to the hospital. They haven't helpped then, and now that this is loose, I doubt they will help me now. Considering, insurance is your first priority, which my insurance is not, they will let me die in peace.

Insurance is not my priority on any level. Let me make one thing clear to you. I have stopped at car accidents to help victims because all the lookey loos couldn't be bothered to even direct traffic around a motorcycle vs auto victim lying in the road. I didn't expect to get paid. Neither did the RN that also stopped. Lucky for him she had a few helpful things in her car. I wasn't driving my own car or we would have had even more supplies. You come back and talk with me when your decision is to save someone's life OR maybe paralyze him .... knowing if you don't do anything he will die. So you stabilize his neck and roll him and pray and pray and pray while you wait for the ambulance and can hear his breathing is going south and you know he has a pneumo but nothing you can do about that ... pray he keeps breathing and we are all covered in blood. So yeah, even though I don't have a clue who you are I would still do my best to save you. Sorry you haven't had that experience from other health care workers.

ETA Walks away disgusted from this thread for now.
edit on 2-8-2014 by Khaleesi because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 08:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: marg6043

That is exactly my point friend, why bring ebola to America when never before this was allowed when it comes to highly infectious disease, who allowed this to happen and for what reason, regardless of the two infected been Americans, other Americans that has been infected before are left in the country of infections

People needs to stop and take a good look at just happen in the last 24 hour, is unprecedented.

They should have never brought here to begin with. But, they did. Now everyone suffers the consequences. If it does breaks loose, that your own damn fault. Shouldn't have been here to begin with.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 08:55 PM
link   
OK, folks, let's have a little calm, shall we?

In fact, I insist.

Ebola in America, for whatever reason, is potentially dangerous. As in lethal.

LETHAL.

As such, do you not think it deserves to be discussed with a modicum of respect, and civility. This current tone of vitriolic nonsense stops.

...and stops now!!

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 08:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: marg6043

moreover I challenge the mf CDC if they can use so great methods on a Flu patient and show me the Flu won't spread from that patient. Absolutely the Flu will spread regardless. Same thing with Ebola.
Let's pray.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 09:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: lovebeck

Can you please provide a link that substantiates your post?

I just read this: Infection Prevention & Control Recommendations for Ebola Patients Entering US Hospitals and, other than using a negative pressure room if the patient requires aerosol producing procedures, there is NO mention of the virus being transmitted through a ventilation system...

Honestly, people who are not familiar with infection control procedures should learn about them, especially if they're interested and/or concerned about this issue.

Even when precautions have been used there have been instances that animals, and even people have contracted the Ebola virus without having direct contact from the source of the virus.

Transmission of Ebola virus from pigs to non-human primates
Hana M. Weingartl, Carissa Embury-Hyatt, Charles Nfon, Anders Leung, Greg Smith & Gary Kobinger

Affiliations Contributions Corresponding authors
Scientific Reports 2, Article number: 811 doi:10.1038/srep00811 Received 25 April 2012 Accepted 28 September 2012 Published 15 November 2012

Ebola viruses (EBOV) cause often fatal hemorrhagic fever in several species of simian primates including human. While fruit bats are considered natural reservoir, involvement of other species in EBOV transmission is unclear. In 2009, Reston-EBOV was the first EBOV detected in swine with indicated transmission to humans. In-contact transmission of Zaire-EBOV (ZEBOV) between pigs was demonstrated experimentally. Here we show ZEBOV transmission from pigs to cynomolgus macaques without direct contact. Interestingly, transmission between macaques in similar housing conditions was never observed. Piglets inoculated oro-nasally with ZEBOV were transferred to the room housing macaques in an open inaccessible cage system. All macaques became infected. Infectious virus was detected in oro-nasal swabs of piglets, and in blood, swabs, and tissues of macaques. This is the first report of experimental interspecies virus transmission, with the macaques also used as a human surrogate. Our finding may influence prevention and control measures during EBOV outbreaks.

Ebola viruses belong to the family Filoviridae, genus Ebolavirus. Those endemic to Africa cause severe hemorrhagic fever with frequent fatal outcome in humans, great apes and several species of non-human primates (NHPs). Fruit bats are considered to be the natural reservoir for EBOV in Africa1. In 2009, the only non-African known species of EBOV, Reston Ebola virus (REBOV), was isolated from swine in Philippines, with antibodies against the virus detected in pig farmers2, 3. However REBOV did not cause clinical signs in experimentally inoculated pigs4. In contrast to African species of EBOV, REBOV does not cause clinical symptoms in humans, although the infection may be fatal in cynomolgus macaques5. We have previously demonstrated that Zaire-EBOV (ZEBOV) can infect pigs, cause disease, and transmit to in-contact pigs6. While primates develop systemic infection associated with immune dysregulation resulting in severe hemorrhagic fever, the EBOV infection in swine affects mainly respiratory tract, implicating a potential for airborne transmission of ZEBOV2, 6. Contact exposure is considered to be the most important route of infection with EBOV in primates7, although there are reports suggesting or suspecting aerosol transmission of EBOV from NHP to NHP8, 9, 10, or in humans based on epidemiological observations11. The present study was design to evaluate EBOV transmission from experimentally infected piglets to NHPs without direct contact.

www.nature.com...

Ebola is a virus that is transmitted through fluids because as far as we know, and for now at least, it needs water or some other fluid to thrive and to be transmitted to other species. Since the virus needs to be in a fluid the most rational conclusion is that the disease was transmitted to the piglets through droplets. If the virus was airborne without the need for water/fluids we would be seeing a lot more cases by now.

edit on 2-8-2014 by ElectricUniverse because: add comment.

new topics

top topics

<< 39  40  41    43  44  45 >>

join