It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ebola Patient in Atlanta Hospital

page: 123
<< 120  121  122    124  125  126 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 02:07 PM
link   
a reply to: 00nunya00

They need it to be 42 days of no new cases for it to be considered it's going away.
That's two incubation periods of 21 days

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: violet

No, 42 means it is gone. 21 means contained.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 03:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: violet

They need it to be 42 days of no new cases for it to be considered it's going away.
That's two incubation periods of 21 days

All I meant was that the new cases and deaths seem to be not such a huge jump as we have seen in the past week or two. Still rising, but not as quickly as it seems to have been in the near past. Hopefully that's a good sign.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 04:00 PM
link   

With reports of healthcare workers as well as patients fleeing hospitals when an infected person is confirmed, its no surprise the increase in reported cases drop; they're out spreading it further while trying to run away from it.

Following the introduction of Ebola virus in the human population through animal-to-human transmission, person-to-person transmission by direct contact bodily fluids/secretions of infected persons is considered the principal mode of transmission. Indirect contact with environment and fomites soiled with contaminated bodily fluids (e.g. needles) may also occur. Airborne transmission has not been documented during previous EVD outbreaks.

There is no risk of transmission during the incubation period.

This is a danger I think that is being discarded by many.

...efforts to control the outbreak are hampered by...the facts that chains of transmission have moved underground making meticulous early detection and isolation of cases, contact tracing and monitoring – the cornerstone of EVD control – difficult to be carried out.

You can't trust the infected.

If the patient with illness compatible to EVD develops symptoms while on an aircraft, contact tracing must be made according to the Risk assessment guidelines for diseases transmitted on aircraft (RAGIDA) protocol1, which indicates contact tracing of all those passengers seated within 4 rows ahead and 4 rows behind, as well as the crew on board. If the cleaning of the aircraft is performed by unprotected personnel, they should be considered as contacts. Contacts should be assessed in a designated area within the airport according to the airport contingency plan.

They've got to clean as if a spill had happened in a BSL4 lab.

I wonder if the planes Patrick Sawyer rode on were cleaned with these guidelines in mind.

I somehow doubt so...

Ebola virus disease (EVD), implications of introduction in the Americas

The emphasized portions above lead me to speculate that this evolved strain of ZEBOV can be spread through casual contact, which is what has world health authorities making skidmarks in their collective shorts.

Not airborne, but an intermediate stage between that and direct contact.

edit on 8-8-2014 by jadedANDcynical because: BSL4

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 04:01 PM
link   
The World Health Organization reported four new cases of Ebola in Nigeria, health care workers and others who had contact with American consultant Patrick Sawyer.

WHO has declared this outbreak a international emergency.

edit on 8-8-2014 by zazzafrazz because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 04:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: zazzafrazz
The World Health Organization reported four new cases of Ebola in Nigeria, health care workers and others who had contact with American consultant Patrick Sawyer.

WHO has declared this outbreak a international emergency.

Well Patrick Sawyer supposedly urinated on a bunch of nursing staff in protest. So its no wonder there is a few more as being pissed on by a Ebola patient is pretty much a sure way to get it.

They should be considered more murder victims.
edit on 8-8-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 04:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: raymundoko
a reply to: violet

No, 42 means it is gone. 21 means contained.

YeAh, I just said that.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Yes it looks to be a good sign, if the death rate is going down now.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Video from

WHO

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 04:37 PM
link   
As of today:

Total Cases
Updated: August 8, 2014

Suspected and Confirmed Case Count: 1779
Suspected Case Deaths: 961
Laboratory Confirmed Cases: 1134

CDC

edit on 8-8-2014 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 05:27 PM
link   
a reply to: raymundoko

I didn't link a dating site. It may have been a pop-up from other reviewed sites???

Those that are working at work shouldn't have a problem with it.

edit on 8-8-2014 by MrLimpet because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 05:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: kruphix

originally posted by: NEB0168
a reply to: MrLimpet

and IMAGINE how many people are on the run in REALITY. This is a fraction of what is probably actually happening. How many of these people were able to leave Africa? How many are already infecting other countries? I am telling you - after listening to Issac's testimony yesterday - if you caught the end - he said it may be too late and "the cat may already be out of the bag"... I got chills.

Most of these people are too poor to do anything other than run to the jungles...I don't think we have to be concerned about a mass of people hopping on planes.

I must have missed something. Did it say something about them hopping on planes?

I think the concern was the possibility of other people being infected in the area.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 06:36 PM
link   

...new cases and deaths seem to be not such a huge jump as we have seen in the past week or two. Still rising, but not as quickly as it seems to have been in the near past. Hopefully that's a good sign.

I updated the charts I've been doing with the latest numbers from WHO. Still not good, but you can see the very slight improvement:

Click the graphic to see it larger.

The other charts have been updated here too:

Ebola - my visual charts & projections based on WHO data

I hope the change is not because of what jadedANDcynical pointed out:

With reports of healthcare workers as well as patients fleeing hospitals when an infected person is confirmed, its no surprise the increase in reported cases drop; they're out spreading it further while trying to run away from it.

edit on 8-8-2014 by ikonoklast because: fixed a typo

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 06:40 PM
link   
My firewall flags it as dating/entertainment/gossip

No worries though, I posted the Reuters link.,

a reply to: MrLimpet

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 06:43 PM
link   
In your other thread I said your projections were too high. You can't do a projections with Ebola because it is easily containable with effort. You'll see that start to flat line now that the international community is involved.

All your projections do is breed fear for no reason. Stick to the actual data charts. I've found them very informative and have used them as a resource with family and friends.

a reply to: ikonoklast

edit on 8-8-2014 by raymundoko because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 07:52 PM
link   
a reply to: raymundoko
Thanks, I'm glad you find charts 1 & 2 useful even if you don't agree with the projections. I hope the projections breed reasonable concern and action rather than unreasonable fear. And I hope they do turn out to be too high.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 07:56 PM
link   
a reply to: ikonoklast
New thread a member started. Toronto man in hospital with ebola LIKE symptoms. Recently arrived from Nigeria.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

ETA:

Concern over Ontario patient from Nigeria with flu symptoms
The person arrived at an ER in Brampton this morning
www.news1130.com...

Des

edit on 8-8-2014 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Dr. Brantly has issued a statement.

I am writing this update from my isolation room at Emory University Hospital, where the doctors and nurses are providing the very best care possible. I am growing stronger every day, and I thank God for His mercy as I have wrestled with this terrible disease. I also want to extend my deep and sincere thanks to all of you who have been praying for my recovery as well as for Nancy (Writebol) and for the people of Liberia and West Africa.

My wife Amber and I, along with our two children, did not move to Liberia for the specific purpose of fighting Ebola. We went to Liberia because we believe God called us to serve Him at ELWA Hospital.

One thing I have learned is that following God often leads us to unexpected places. When Ebola spread into Liberia, my usual hospital work turned more and more toward treating the increasing number of Ebola patients. I held the hands of countless individuals as this terrible disease took their lives away from them. I witnessed the horror firsthand, and I can still remember every face and name.

When I started feeling ill on that Wednesday morning, I immediately isolated myself until the test confirmed my diagnosis three days later. When the result was positive, I remember a deep sense of peace that was beyond all understanding. God was reminding me of what He had taught me years ago, that He will give me everything I need to be faithful to Him.

Now it is two weeks later, and I am in a totally different setting. My focus, however, remains the same—to follow God. As you continue to pray for Nancy and me, yes, please pray for our recovery. More importantly, pray that we would be faithful to God’s call on our lives in these new circumstances.

ETA I would like to note that sources indicate Dr. Brantly first tested negative for Ebola - after having symptoms. He says in his statement that he tested positive after three days. I certainly hope we can test people in less time than three days and that false negatives don't prove the problem I believe they may be. A lot can happen and spread during that time.

sou rce

edit on 8-8-2014 by DancedWithWolves because: false negatve

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 08:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Destinyone
Thanks for the heads up, Des. I've been hearing of possible cases popping up a lot of places. I think it's just a matter of time before there start being confirmed cases all over. Unfortunately.

I've been wondering when WHO is going to start reporting possible cases outside of Africa like they do inside of Africa.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 08:33 PM
link   
a reply to: DancedWithWolves

Hmm. They moved to Liberia? As in lived there? I didn't realize this.

ETA: False negatives are more common with this than false positives, aren't they? Need to read up more on that soon. But, you know what I've read also produces a lot of false positives and false negatives? Many of the reportedly engineered viruses, particularly the ones that wreak havoc on the autoimmune system.
edit on 8/8/2014 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 120  121  122    124  125  126 >>

join