It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ebola Patient in Atlanta Hospital

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 11:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Realtruth
a reply to: Destinyone

Destiny,

Aren't you the bringer of sunshine and rays of happiness today.

Sorry. I'm just not in a cookie baking mood...

Des

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 11:03 AM
link   
a reply to: soficrow

Agreed. They have found West Nile positive mosquitoes in Atlanta. We're lucky though that only a minuscule amount of people get the deadly neurological side effects of being infected, but if it were ever to mutate and that number got higher. We'd be in big trouble.

No one mentions the contained Malaria outbreak after Katrina that was held in check. What about the ancient viruses that were frozen in suspended animation that are thawing in the Arctic permafrost?

Now let's add Ebola to that mix... Again...

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 11:03 AM
link   
If anyone in Atlanta contracts ebola, whoever made this idiotic decision should be summarily executed. I am beyond words.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 11:08 AM
link   

I'm not asking you to "feel sorry" for anyone. I'm hoping you might come to recognize that the entire world is "your own backyard" - and what happens half way around the world WILL get to you, with or without infected American citizens being transported to the high security isolation ward of your local hospital.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 11:09 AM
link   
a reply to: ~Lucidity

Thank you. I have for days tried to keep this subject at a distance, and am not up to speed with the earlier news.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 11:10 AM
link   
CDC Media statement on new small pox discovery
The NIH, on this one, "found" smallpox vials in the back of a fridge while cleaning it out. One of the NASTY diseases that wiped out over 300 million people. Forgotten in a fridge for 50 years.

CDC closes labs after accident with Anthrax and Flu strains
Yea, the CDC has a great track record. I remember how much MSM downplayed the fact the workers "accidently" combined a low lvl virus with n5h1, then shipped it to the USDA. It took 6 weeks for anyone at the CDC to be notified

Anyone remember the movie Aliens, where the main character wanted to utterly destroy the alien world for fear of "just one" getting back to earth and infecting the whole planet? Yea, so let's take a completely Ebola free zone, and introduce 1 virus with a 50-90% mortality rate. I know everyone here at ATS has the utmost confidence in our governments ability to handle crisis situations, but this has bot to be one of the dumbest things I have seen to date.
The 2 above articles are just a small example of what can happen, 2 avoided disasters caused by human error. The reason this all upsets me is that the introduction of this disease into our country as a contagion may be inevitable at this point

I am not so worried about one man (or more, who knows?) even though it plays out from there just like any zombie movie, by the way a great model for the spread of an infectious disease emanating from a hospital. Sick people infecting healthy people without knowing.
No, I am really worried about 2 simple facts that should really worry us all;
1. 21 day incubation period. That is a LONG time for a...well anything to go undetected. Just think of how many people you come into contact with on a daily basis at work, walking on the streets, grocery shopping, picking up the kid at daycare. Now multiply that by 21. That is probably close to a number of people who are undetected and infected in other countries already.
2. This problem WILL NOT knock on our door at a very convenient time and place predetermined, and it is knocking at our door already. Yep, in the form of roughly 50,000 people a day streaming across our borders from different countries. Who is to say it flies into our airport? North and South America are to connected continents. This means the disease only has to get to this side of the WORLD, and we are screwed. We have been unable to plug the dam thus far, and if those countries become infected, either South or North of us, then the introduction into our own country will be impossible to control.

I remember reading about ebola in Africa in the 80's. This problem has been around for a long time and has obviously not gone away. The fact that it has grown at all, speaks to how hearty this particular bitch can be. At this point, I would probably take zombies, at least you can stop the spread with a shot to the head

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Personally I think that the cookie bakers of the world should be running the world.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 11:13 AM
link   
The 2 people being flown to Emory are in fact Americans. Both are missionaries and one is a doctor.

Emory was chosen because it is one o the very best hospitals in the world! It is also one of the only 4 hospitals in the U.S. that has a special isolation unit and can treat Level 4 virus' The potential for outbreak is far less with the CDC being right down the street. The CDC will be all hands on deck to deal with this grave situation.

These 2 people have given everything so others will live!! They deserve the most respect and best chance at beating this horrific disease....Yes, it is risky but because we are humanitarians this what we do!

Having spent a good 12 months on the Bone Marrow transplant unit with my mom, I commend the the doctors and nurses at Emory! Being a nurse I was extremely critical and hypersensitive to see that she got the best of the best ...and she absolutely did...These are some of the top nurses in the country! Keep in mind the transplant unit is highly specialized care you make a mistake and someone dies!

I realize it is very scary to think this terrifying disease is now in the United States, but keep in mind this would be the best place to find a cure once and for all.....It's not gonna happen in Africa that is for sure.

Pax

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Atlanta is 3 hours from me and still I worry about this. If well protected American doctors are catching it and dying with all their knowledge of Ebola what makes them think being here in America will be any different. I know we have great medical, safety and strict isolation units. But to me or shall I say to the Ebola...this doesn't matter. Obviously.

It would have been safer to ship the needed meds & equipment over to Africa. Why bring a serious deadly virus here that no one knows about??? If they did know about it, people including the doctors themselves would NOT be dead or dying.

Furthermore, If we can not contain animal diseases on Plum Island (not attached to America's mainland) then how are we going to do it at a hospital in a big city?!
edit on 1-8-2014 by Staroth because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: paxnatus Well said.I agree with all you say.

Beecher

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 11:25 AM
link   
That's just the thing the doctor and missionary were in a "clean zone" when they got it from someone. They were not wearing protection at that time.

I have been trying to remember and relocate my source where I got this info from, but for the life of me I cannot find it again.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Poor guy. Now they will watch him die, slowly…. under a microscope. Can;t imagine how he feels right now.

There better be armies of people disinfecting the disinfected disinfectors 24/ 7 alone the trail that brought him to the hospital.

Have we video?

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 11:37 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

No, they are being transported via medivac plane one at a time. Haven't arrived yet, and don't know which one will get medivacced first. It's a long trip to and from Africa on a Gulf Stream aircraft. I think the first will be arriving tomorrow.

But fear not on the decontamination. Last night our fearless leader signed a new EXECUTIVE order that our government can grab and quarantine anyone with flu like symptoms...from the White House website...

For Immediate Release
July 31, 2014
Executive Order -- Revised List of Quarantinable Communicable Diseases

EXECUTIVE ORDER

- - - - - - -

REVISED LIST OF QUARANTINABLE COMMUNICABLE DISEASES

By the authority vested in me as President by the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America, including section 264(b) of title 42, United States Code, it is hereby ordered as follows:

Section 1. Amendment to Executive Order 13295. Based upon the recommendation of the Secretary of Health and Human Services, in consultation with the Acting Surgeon General, and for the purposes set forth in section 1 of Executive Order 13295 of April 4, 2003, as amended by Executive Order 13375 of April 1, 2005, section 1 of Executive Order 13295 shall be further amended by replacing subsection (b) with the following:

"(b) Severe acute respiratory syndromes, which are diseases that are associated with fever and signs and symptoms of pneumonia or other respiratory illness, are capable of being transmitted from person to person, and that either are causing, or have the potential to cause, a pandemic, or, upon infection, are highly likely to cause mortality or serious morbidity if not properly controlled. This subsection does not apply to influenza."
www.whitehouse.gov...

Des

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Ebola 'moving faster than efforts to control it': WHO

The WHO raised the death toll by 57 to 729 on Thursday, announcing that 122 new cases had been detected between Thursday and Sunday last week, bringing the total to more than 1,300.

"Current numbers of national and international response staff are woefully inadequate," Chan said, revealing that 60 health workers had died treating patients in the outbreak.

- 'Nearing catastrophe' -
We're being lied to!

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 11:41 AM
link   
a reply to: paxnatus

The CDC will be all hands on deck to deal with this grave situation.

Perhaps they should have put all hands on deck where the deck was.

I admire anyone that is selfless enough to risk their lives for others. But you advocate risking many lives for them. Seems a vicious cycle perpetuated by gaining sympathy for just those few when the sympathy should have been directed to the source of this pathogen. These charity workers and doctors may have been saved by it.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 11:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krakatoa

originally posted by: WCmutant

Not only does Atlanta have direct flights to/from Africa... the CDC is conveniently nearby.

I would worry that these morons are bringing it to America to "study" - or weaponize. The USA has never been exposed to ebola, there is no telling what could happen if it "escapes/spreads" into America's virgin ebola population.

See my post, a few above yours. Ebola HAS been here in the past, almost 25 years ago.

I saw it. My comment still stands - America is still a virgin ebola population. (We are talking about humans, aren't we?) It didn't spread to humans, so from a disease exposure perspective we are still a virgin population.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 11:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Destinyone

originally posted by: jhn7537
People, People, we have nothing to worry about... Our Govt. has a beautiful track record of never screwing anything up... RELAX!

I knew I had seen that POD for the medivac plane before. It's a small green house kit for home gardeners. I was looking to buy one a few years back.

One would think with the U.S. Defense Department being the contractor for the POD, it would be a bit more sophisticated.

It looks like a last minute thrown together POS for photo ops...

How many millions of our tax dollars made this *containment pod*...

Des

The green color looks army. Might be a normal bio warfare apparatus. (The white tie downs don't look army) The most important part is negative air pressure inside. Air moves in at any leaks, no germs move out as long as the air moves in. < $10,000

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 12:01 PM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

Is this the one?

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Looks like the order is geared towards SARS and excludes influenza.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 12:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Semicollegiate

Yes, you are correct. The CNN article I posted earlier, stated the tent unit was developed by the U.S. Defense Dept, along with a private contractor. The CDC is working with the Defense Dept. to move the ebola patients to Atlanta.

Des

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join