It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pesticide DDT linked to slow metabolism, obesity and diabetes, mouse study finds

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Pesticide DDT linked to slow metabolism, obesity and diabetes, mouse study finds

Exposure of pregnant mice to the pesticide DDT is linked to an increased risk of obesity, diabetes, high cholesterol and related conditions in female offspring later in life, according to a study led by the University of California, Davis.

The study, published online July 30 in the journal PLOS ONE, is the first to show that developmental exposure to DDT increases the risk of females later developing metabolic syndrome -- a cluster of conditions that include increased body fat, blood glucose, and cholesterol.

DDT was banned in the United States in the 1970s but continues to be used for malaria control in countries including India and South Africa.

Scientists gave mice doses of DDT comparable to exposures of people living in malaria-infested regions where it is regularly sprayed, as well as of pregnant mothers of U.S. adults who are now in their 50s.

"The women and men this study is most applicable to in the United States are currently at the age when they're more likely to develop metabolic syndrome, because these are diseases of middle- to late adulthood," said lead author Michele La Merrill, assistant professor of environmental toxicology at UC Davis.

The scientists found that exposure to DDT before birth slowed the metabolism of female mice and lowered their tolerance of cold temperature. This increased their likelihood of developing metabolic syndrome and its host of related conditions.

How is it we allow for other countries to use a pesticide that we know is harmful? Oh yea, we are told not to care about anyone but ourselves, our family & our country. Screw anyone else.

Hopefully we can raise enough awareness about the situation and get the production of DDT to stop so that no one has to suffer the health problems associated with this pesticide.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 04:00 PM
link   

How is it we allow for other countries to use a pesticide that we know is harmful?

I thought other countries were allowed to run their own country. Why is the US the world police. Blame their leaders and companies.
edit on 7/31/2014 by roadgravel because: typo

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Some European countries have banned gmo's. We still use them. How can they let us use something they know is dangerous?

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 04:07 PM
link   
I'm sure its horrible stuff but, well here, let me throw a quote at you from another website i found.

As of 1995, DDT had been banned for all uses in 49 countries and severely restricted in 23.[5] In countries with "restricted" use

which can be found at this link
DDT LINK

also with additional info on DDT. banned in 49 countries since 95', I'd call that a hell of a good start. But actually countries who were using DDT who we told to stop , saw a drastic uptick in malaria and other such illnesses. But since we forced them to stop using DDT they don't have anything that works just as good. So now instead of getting sick from the DDT, their dying from illness instead. NOt that I"m advication the use of DDT, but people do this stuff and then don't think about what not having these things around does to poor countries. The alternitive that was used as a replacement was not as good and no suitable replacement could make it past certain people within our govt.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 04:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel

How is it we allow for other countries to use a pesticide that we know is harmful?

I thought other countries were allowed to run their own country. Why is the US the world police. Blame their leaders and companies.

i agree! they bitch at us for doing something, then bitch at us for not doing something. To hell with it all, lets cut off all foreign aid and all money going overseas to other countries and stop helping everyone. why are we dictating rules to other countries anyway? we can't even enforce the laws on our own books much less every country out there.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 08:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: roaland
I'm sure its horrible stuff but, well here, let me throw a quote at you from another website i found.

As of 1995, DDT had been banned for all uses in 49 countries and severely restricted in 23.[5] In countries with "restricted" use

DDT LINK

also with additional info on DDT. banned in 49 countries since 95', I'd call that a hell of a good start. But actually countries who were using DDT who we told to stop , saw a drastic uptick in malaria and other such illnesses. But since we forced them to stop using DDT they don't have anything that works just as good. So now instead of getting sick from the DDT, their dying from illness instead. NOt that I"m advication the use of DDT, but people do this stuff and then don't think about what not having these things around does to poor countries. The alternitive that was used as a replacement was not as good and no suitable replacement could make it past certain people within our govt.

I highly doubt that a pesticide was keeping Malaria & other such illnesses from occurring.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 08:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel

Well I'm from Canada so you should have said "Why is Canada the world police?"

It should be a responsibility of more progressive countries to help out other countries who aren't so fortunate. When it comes to people's health being effected, a solution should be offered up so that the harmful product doesn't need to keep being used.

I think it's b.s that the U.S has it banned yet they can still manufacture it and sell it to other countries

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 08:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hoosierdaddy71
Some European countries have banned gmo's. We still use them. How can they let us use something they know is dangerous?

They are afraid/under control of the U.S.

If things were better run, when one country discovers something to be horribly bad for the people, it should be implemented everywhere. More successful countries like the U.S, Europe & Canada should help other countries with solutions/substitutes.

It shouldn't be that the smaller countries are tossed under the bus while the U.S makes money from supplying them with poison. ((Whether it's DDT or GMO))

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 08:39 PM
link   
THANK YOU MONSANTO!

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 08:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: knoledgeispower

DDT LINK

I highly doubt that a pesticide was keeping Malaria & other such illnesses from occurring.

actually, it is lol check out this link. its a .gov website. you didn't know DDT was used for that stuff huh? hmm interesting lol
DDT Malaria LINK

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 11:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: knoledgeispower

DDT LINK

actually, it is lol check out this link. its a .gov website. you didn't know DDT was used for that stuff huh? hmm interesting lol
DDT Malaria LINK

No I've never paid much attention to pesticides as a kid & only started to pay attention 3yrs ago when I was opened up to the real world. I could see how if I was an older person that I would have heard about DDT at some point but alas I'm not.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 02:08 PM
link   
a reply to: knoledgeispower

now you are wise

top topics

join